PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a business coach

True Self Organics
01-13-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm a new start up business and I've been thinking about hiring a business coach to help me make good decisions for my new business. I was wondering if anyone on this site has hired one and is it worth the money? I would hate to dump all my start up funds into something that total isn't worth the money. Also, what should I expect from a business coach? I want to make sure they are doing their job if Im going to pay them the money!

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

P&T Consulting
01-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi Melissa! Congrats on your new business, starting up a company can be stressful but it is well worth it in my opinion. Personally, I did not go with a business coach, I was fortunate enough to have a network of successful entrepreneurs to mentor me. If you have the extra funds, I don’t see how hiring someone to guide you can hurt. I would expect that person to assist you in setting goals, creating strategies, measuring results and so on. I’ve seen fees on consultants and coaches range from $350 - $1,000 per month. Before heading down that path, I would check around in your community and online to see if there are free workshops around. I regularly attend events in my industry and it doesn’t cost too much, I’ve met some great people who are more than willing to sit down with me and work on my company for free (or the cost of a good lunch). Good luck!

True Self Organics
01-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Hi Melissa! Congrats on your new business, starting up a company can be stressful but it is well worth it in my opinion. Personally, I did not go with a business coach, I was fortunate enough to have a network of successful entrepreneurs to mentor me. If you have the extra funds, I donít see how hiring someone to guide you can hurt. I would expect that person to assist you in setting goals, creating strategies, measuring results and so on. Iíve seen fees on consultants and coaches range from $350 - $1,000 per month. Before heading down that path, I would check around in your community and online to see if there are free workshops around. I regularly attend events in my industry and it doesnít cost too much, Iíve met some great people who are more than willing to sit down with me and work on my company for free (or the cost of a good lunch). Good luck!

Thank you for that information! I will look into some workshops in my area.

smartmom
01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
If you can afford to hire a coach, I think that this is a good idea. Just make sure that the person in genuine and that they are referred to you by reputable sources. Today each person is out to get a piece of the pie and unfortunately we run into people that will promise us the world and may give us just what we don't need or what we already knew. If this person is gonna help take your thoughts the next level where you are struggling with what to do next, then I say go for it.

Yamabushi
01-23-2014, 01:49 PM
I think your question entirely depends on your current finances. If you have only a 40k budget for example, I wouldn't spend it on a business coach. Why? Because first of all, you can find this for free by being active on forums and PM'ing experienced users. But secondly, nothing will teach you faster than experience. So make your plan, do your consulting (but not too much), and take action.

Rainman
01-29-2014, 03:24 AM
Business coaches can be helpful in getting you some edge in business especially if the market is competitive. These coaches know stuff. Stuff that would practically take years of running a business to acquire the sort of experience to deal with [such things when they arise] and therefore could save you a lot of time and money playing a trial and error game by working with someone who already has that knowledge. If you can afford it, get yourself a business coach. Among other things they'll:

1. Provide you with ideas that would help you beat your competitors.
2. They'll make you focus on achieving the goal you set out to attain. Business success.
3. They'll encourage you when you feel like giving up and guide you out of some rut you're stuck in.

And more. . . but the downside of it all is hiring an experienced business coach can be very expensive. I hear, the highest paid ones earn up to $3,500 an hour.

fredkawig
01-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Depending on the amount of money you are willing to let go, you should look for people who are a guarantee in coaching you in starting up your business. Although I would personally not hire a business coach as I do all the brainstorming myself. If you are the type of person who wants to manage everything yourself you wouldn't really need a business coach as this would be an additional burden or expense but if you can't handle it on your own you should definitely hire someone and make sure he or she knows what he's saying.

caveman
02-10-2014, 09:56 AM
I think your question entirely depends on your current finances. If you have only a 40k budget for example, I wouldn't spend it on a business coach. Why? Because first of all, you can find this for free by being active on forums and PM'ing experienced users. But secondly, nothing will teach you faster than experience. So make your plan, do your consulting (but not too much), and take action.

I agree, if your finance can cover it, go for it! But I honestly think that if you are determined enough to go through with your business, EVERYTHING is on the internet. Everything is just a click away. And @yamabushi is right about the experience bit too. You learn from your mistakes and that's what success is all about. I wish you the best of luck! :)

tspires2
02-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the new business! I think you are going in the right direction as far as making sure everything you do is correct! There are so many options when starting your business so yes be sure to research, research and then do some more research! You can do this online and with other business owners in your area. If you are the type of person that needs the instructions, then by all means go for it! Education and Research is key to owning a successful business!

Taru
02-11-2014, 05:38 PM
I think it's alright, provided that they have a good portfolio and good credentials, and can be retained for a good price. I personally think it's more advisable to just learn on your own, though, but on the other hand, sometimes it is also much better to just learn this way since you could potentially boost your learning tenfold this way and thus save yourself a good amount of time. Like I said, if it fits in with the budget alongside what you already allotted for you capital, then it might be alright. Otherwise, I'd advise to just keep as much money as you can for your capital since businesses do tend to eat up a lot of finances at first and the cost will often overshoot far beyond what you originally planned on using.

TaraC
02-12-2014, 01:54 AM
I have never used a business coach. I do think it's important to be able to express your ideas and concerns in a safe environment. Sometimes talking about the business brings clarity. At least that's true for me.

I have used a business mentor. Someone who has been in the industry. The insights based on experienced can be very insightful. I have avoided a lot mistakes because of a good mentor.

Many business courses and books recommend choose a business advisory board. I have never taken that step, but I think it's worthwhile.

Trainers in Training
02-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Hi Melissa,

It is good to see you are doing your research and even considering a business coach so early on in setting up your business. As a coach myself, I know that several of my clients have found having a coach (me and other people) to be beneficial. The GREAT thing about coaches is that many offer a free session with them to see if you like them and if they can help you. I urge you to ask yourself some questions like "Why do I need a coach?", "What decisions might I need their assistance with?", "How would a coach help me make good decisions?"

There are so many organisations that offer coaching, so as others have said if you can get a good referral from a trusted source or are willing to "interview" a couple of coaches you will get clearer on what you want them to do for you. Either way, make sure you are clear on what you want them to do for you first :)

In general you will find a coach helps with eliminating some of the most costly and time consuming mistakes you might otherwise make so that you can grow a business much faster than if you do it on your own - we also have access to many successful business and know what they are doing to create that success and can share that with you :)

All the best
Michelle :)

Millermarketingroup
02-14-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm a new start up business and I've been thinking about hiring a business coach to help me make good decisions for my new business. I was wondering if anyone on this site has hired one and is it worth the money? I would hate to dump all my start up funds into something that total isn't worth the money. Also, what should I expect from a business coach? I want to make sure they are doing their job if Im going to pay them the money!

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Before hiring anyone, if you want, I will check them out for you!

Business coaches can offer a multitude of positives:

new logic
new ideas
fresh appeal
experience, expertise, skill sets you can borrow from

however, there are ALOT of scammers out there. Be sure that these "coaches" are established marketing professionals and have the backbone to prove it.

Our corporate teams charge quite a bit, but for small business coaching, you should not be paying more than a couple thousand dollars a month

pm me if further questions happy to help

foduu1
03-06-2014, 01:31 AM
I'm sure ones query totally is dependent upon your current budget. If you have simply a 40k cover illustration, We couldn't spend this on the company coach. Precisely why? Due to the fact first of all, you will discover this for free since they can be active with community forums and also PM'ing seasoned users. Yet second of all, absolutely nothing will probably teach you more quickly when compared with experience. Therefore make ones prepare, do ones visiting (but not necessarily far too much), and also do something.

poulsmith7878
04-04-2014, 01:27 AM
Thank you for that information!

canoe
04-04-2014, 01:32 AM
I think hiring a coach is fine but you better be really careful that you don't hire someone that simply offloads basic business knowledge off to you that you can easily learn from books or online. If I were you, I'd try to spend some time reading up on as much stuff as possible about starting a business. Once you think you have a general feel for this type of thing, then you can move on to looking for prospective coaches.

Strykstar
04-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Do you think hiring a coach is something essential when starting out, or is it only really needed if the business is failing and needs a breath of fresh air?

trot12345
04-13-2014, 12:51 PM
I actually do believe kinds dilemma fully is dependent upon the present budget. Degrees of training only a 40k plan for example, My own loved one and my partner and i probably would not make investments that on the organization master. Exactly why? Since first of all, you will discover this type of totally free by being successful along with boards and PM'ing experienced end users. However later, nothing at all will certainly trainer anyone upon more rapidly when compared with encounter. Therefore develop kinds technique, accomplish kinds requesting (but definitely not simply too much), and get it done.

Tony Manto
05-06-2014, 05:53 AM

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Hi Melissa, I could help you via email. tony@smallbusinessdynamics.com.au

JeneeVie
07-31-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Hi Melissa!

You might want to visit our website http://businesscoachingmentoring.com/ for more info regarding business coaching. I hope it answers your question.

-JeneeVie

eximpulse
03-26-2015, 07:04 AM
I think it will be depends on your budget, if you have well budget and you don't have more idea about business then you can hire a business coach. He will be your well wisher for business.

James E. Waters
04-16-2015, 01:41 AM
I also suggest you to hier a business coach, he will be better experienced in the particular field and will give you new ideas for smart work.

MahaKarthi
05-14-2015, 02:44 AM
Do some research first and evaluate as to whether you really require one. Why do you think you need a business a coach in the first place?

christheva
08-08-2015, 11:33 PM
I am not super pro "hire a business coach". Not after I saw so many people who claim to be qualified to be business coaches but have not actually run a business other than their coaching business. So, I say do it only if you determine you really, really need to. Business coaches are expensive. A definitely investment of money and I've seen advice being given before that a person just starting out with little income should first invest in a coach but I disagree. If you have this extra money lying around then maybe its not a bad idea. however, if you still need to get some revenue in your business then hoard your money for the time being.

Many people say you're going to get a massive edge by hiring a business coach, but a lot of things I've realized from being on my computer way too much and inside of business groups for coaches is: an inordinate amount of information given by coaches is on the web for free.

You just have to be willing to look for it. Many aren't so they go off and pay people for advice which I think its a waste of money.

So hire a coach if you A.) can afford it and B.) have exhausted all avenues while researching yourself.

Also, if you plan on hiring a coach look for someone who has run their own successful (non-coaching business) for years and earned well in it, and someone who has a web presence, and someone who doesn't earn all of their income from coaching (unless they are at the age of retirement then it makes sense).

These criteria will stop you from ending up in the hands of a self-proclaimed business coach who might have a strong following, and seductive marketing but in the end doesn't know that much about business and will just take your money.

rvitsentzatou
08-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Hi Melissa and congrats for your new company. Good Luck! :)

What I have learned from my own experience is that when it comes for a new business the most importnt thing is having a growth mindset rather than concentrating on the business' profit making processes. Once a business gets a hold of a solid foundation, profit follows. So if you want to hire a business coach, he should firstly guide you through what growth means and how you can achieve it in order to take the right decision.

So, in case you want to hire someone to advise you, you should expext from him to talk you about viral marketing, public relations (PR), unconvential PR, search engine marketing (SEM), social and display ads, offline ads, search engine optimization (SEO), content marketing, email marketing, business development, sales, affiliate programs, offline events, community building and many others. Of course, it depends on the kind of business you have.

Hope it helped!

Cheers :)

sbusinesscoach
09-28-2015, 03:08 AM
Yes for a startup its very difficult to higher a business coach due to tight budget, you can search local or online. When you talk to them ask them if them for testimonials if they worked for business similar to yours. This will help you to find best coach.

GGG
04-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Never before has there been such a comprehensive guide to building a home based business. "The Definitive Guide to Success" is the result of 28 successful home business entrepreneurs sharing what they have learned along the wa
http://bit.ly/2Hamjl7

Joshua_Brown
07-29-2018, 05:16 PM
By the way, in most cases it is better to start with this

davidsmith0143
08-29-2018, 05:35 AM
Hello everyone,
If you can afford to hire a coach, I think that this is a good idea. Just make sure that the person is genuine and that they are referred to you by reputable sources. Today each person is out to get a piece of the pie and unfortunately, we run into people that will promise us the world and may give us just what we don't need or what we already knew.

hydroliclzsuprxxssssz
09-15-2018, 03:20 AM
On the off chance that you can stand to employ a mentor, I imagine this is a smart thought. Simply ensure that the individual in authentic and that they are alluded to you by legitimate sources. Today every individual is out to get a bit of the pie and tragically we keep running into individuals that will guarantee us the world and may give us exactly what we don't require or what we definitely knew. In the event that this individual is going to help take your contemplations the following level where you are battling with what to do straightaway, at that point I say pull out all the stops.

Dilan
10-26-2018, 09:59 AM
I wish you success in your business

jaferwaleed
12-09-2018, 07:15 AM
Melissa, I am sure by now your business must have established strong roots. Did you manage to hire any business coach and how was the experience? Now-a-days its a good trend of using LMS based services for doing short courses online and getting our required professional development information online.
But sincerely, I would like to know how your experience went.

KaranDhillon
12-26-2018, 01:47 AM
Hi Melissa. I think by now your business is doing great. If you need business coach (https://thecontractorscoach.com/) services fell free to visit us.

syllablesconsult
04-01-2019, 10:46 AM

Hi Small Business Owners!

I am very excited to share with you the first post about my company. I am launching Syllables today and if anyone out there needs help improving your business processes and structure to earn more profit. Please contact me!!! Lets connect and I will share all the details about me and my consulting firm!!!! Please see exceptional packages below!!!

Packages Starting At:
$50 – One Remote Session
$150 – One On-Site Meeting
$300 – Monthly Package with Remote Support

***The first phone call is always on us before the actual appointment!!!
A representative will contact you shortly to schedule an appointment!

jakamram
04-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Hi Melissa! I am also a startup owner myself and we are building a software here in Silicon Valley exactly to help small business owners and employees just like you to get the help they need, for cheaper, and much higher quality! We offer free insights and reports by analyzing your financials and asking you and your employees questions on our platform. Our revenue model is through premium subscriptions or if you choose to hire us for the implementation of an action plan we suggested either for a problem we identified in our reports or a problem you brought up which needs to be solved. On a separate note, our subscription model is for clients who'd like to communicate with our consultants about anything and anytime, ranging from concerns they might have or discussing our findings and reports. If you're interested, our website is www.vezeer.com

olivia ethan
05-13-2019, 11:37 PM
Hiring a business coach (https://businesscoachcanberra.blogspot.com/2019/05/how-can-business-coaching-improve-your-business.html) can help grow your business. But make sure they are well-experienced ones. A well-experienced business coach can easily identify the internal and external faults within an organisation and will give solutions for them. They can be an asset to the growth of your organisation.