PDA

View Full Version : How do I protect my biz?

K9Gourmet
01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
I am in the process of launching my own home-cooked dog food business when it dawned on me that what if something happens to a dog that eats the food I have cooked? I am not saying my food made the dog sick but perhaps a dog owner would imply such thing, then what do I do? How would I protect myself and my business from being sued/accused for something like that? Remember I am a one woman show, cooking in my kitchen all day so this is not a big operation. Is there some kind of insurance I need to get? The FDA requires that all ingredients are listed on the product which is no biggie, but will doing that offer any kind of protection for me? Dog owners are sometimes more over protective then real parents and I am trying to think of everything now so there are no surprises down the road for me.

Chuck’s Confectionery
01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
I literally laughed out loud about the protective pet-parents, isn’t that the truth? Another truth is that there will always be “surprises” down the road when it comes to running your own show, but don’t let that discourage you. I think you’re a smart woman for wanting to protect yourself. Our company also offers food/beverages so I know where you are coming from. If someone did claim that your doggie biscuit made their pooch croak they would have to legally prove that it was from a direct result of eating your food, which is easier said than done. That being said, you want to make sure that you are protected and the best way of doing that is by incorporating. You can go to the SBA administration and there is an explanation for each ownership structure, just pick what works for you best and set yourself up. We had a lawyer do that for us, but there are ways to do it yourself if you are low on funds.

K9Gourmet
01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your post, that helped calm my nerves. I have all ready incorporated, did it all by myself and it was easier then signing up for Obamacare lol I think I overthink things at times but I fell I rather be safe then sorry. I know I would lose it if something happened to my dogs. That is actually how I got started with my businesses (well more like getting started) one of my dogs got really sick from eating dog food that later on was recalled. That kind that was made in China. After that I started reading up about dog food and I am sorry but if the food is not fit for human consumption then why should I feed it to my dog. So I started cooking for the pups and what a difference; it was like I had 2 new dogs. my one dog that had struggled with allergies for years all of a sudden had no more problems. So If I can make other people's dogs feel better why not?

delusional
01-16-2014, 07:27 AM
You didn't overthink. People these days really sue everyone and everything they can for any possible reason. They all see it as an easy way to make money until they get the bill of the lawyer and didn't win the case.
Good that you got an insurance, it will be something you can always fall back on if things take a turn for the worse.
Now go and have fun in what you do.

oregano
01-20-2014, 08:11 AM
You would get some protection by incorporating your business, but it sounds like you do need some liability insurance as well, just in case something happens to one of the dogs that eats your products. As you point out, pet owners can be super-protective of their furry friends, and some will gladly spend money suing you to ensure that someone is held liable for their pet's problem, even if it wasn't your fault. And this could get very expensive for you, depending to some extent on how good the other party's lawyer is!

So do ask your SBA about liability insurance as well as what they advise re. registering as a corporation. Remember that just because your corporation has "limited liability" doesn't always mean that you won't be on the hook for at least part of that liability!