PDA

View Full Version : do you need a start up experience prior to starting own venture?

Fidan R Aliyeva
01-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Hello,
I have a question to those that transitioned into entrepreneurship from corporate careers.
What helped you transition, take a first step at implementing your idea?
I'm asking because I'm at the point of my career when my potential may not be utilized as it could. I have a traditional marketing background, that is focused on developing a product strategy, advertising budget, pricing and working with channels on distribution opportunities. Since I worked in very big companies before, there are a lot of departments working on specific topics (for example mobile marketing), and sometimes I feel left out with everything going on with digital marketing.
I have several ideas on new mobile disruptive products. However, since I never had a direct exposure to any of the digital advertising plans, or digital analytics, I'm afraid that I may not really understand what is going on in the industry, and could miss out on various great platforms available out there.

My specific question- would you guys recommend first getting some experience at some start ups, and getting hands on experience with those platforms (for example tableau), and then starting an entrepreneurial journey?
Or plan a business idea first and then learn while doing things on my own?

Thank you for your inputs and insights!

1Maverick
01-30-2016, 09:36 AM
Hello,
I have a question to those that transitioned into entrepreneurship from corporate careers.
What helped you transition, take a first step at implementing your idea?
I'm asking because I'm at the point of my career when my potential may not be utilized as it could. I have a traditional marketing background, that is focused on developing a product strategy, advertising budget, pricing and working with channels on distribution opportunities. Since I worked in very big companies before, there are a lot of departments working on specific topics (for example mobile marketing), and sometimes I feel left out with everything going on with digital marketing.
I have several ideas on new mobile disruptive products. However, since I never had a direct exposure to any of the digital advertising plans, or digital analytics, I'm afraid that I may not really understand what is going on in the industry, and could miss out on various great platforms available out there.

My specific question- would you guys recommend first getting some experience at some start ups, and getting hands on experience with those platforms (for example tableau), and then starting an entrepreneurial journey?
Or plan a business idea first and then learn while doing things on my own?

Thank you for your inputs and insights!

Hello Fidan,

You just sounded like me a number of years ago when i first got into business. It is a fast paced, cold, lonely & frightening position to be in for some people. Since i've gone through this and helped others along the way. 12yrs later being a successful Serial Entrepreneur, here's what i'll advise you to do. You can create a business plan & work on YOUR business along side your career to get your feet 'wet' and replace your 9-5. That's one of the ways i got started. I would also include:

1. IDENTIFY your end goal of what you want to accomplish
2. CREATE your business plan
3. KNOW how it will be financed
4. ACTION TIME

Now to be more specific, YOU DON'T NEED PRIOR EXPERIENCE to do this. Have your plan laid out & GET TO WORK, they'll be skills you will definitely need & gather along the way. Though i'm experienced, i still need to acquire certain skills along the way (i just learned to create websites for myself, do video production...). Learning is a life long process.
Hope you got clarity & wish you all the best. Get my 15 Step Guide free NOW (http://www.moneymanmaverick.com)! to get more info.