PDA

View Full Version : People who've hired graphic designers - need your input??

LauraGibbs
01-25-2016, 08:10 PM
I'm a very new designer and am trying to figure out how to stand out and grab the attention of potential clients. But I'm not sure how to draw people or even which services I should be promoting over others. I've realised, I understand the visual side of being a designer but I still have little understanding of what people actually need or want.

So, not sure if this is even allowed but I am hoping you guys can help me by answering some questions:

1. Why did you choose your specific designer?
2. How did you discover them?
3. What problems were you having that you needed them to solve?
4. What results did you expect from hiring them?

I've come here because I feel like you are the best people to ask (being business owners) but if these types of questions aren't allowed, I apologise!

nycdavesue
04-14-2016, 08:56 PM
Hi Laura,

Have you considered joining DesignCrowd? The margins probably are not great but it could help you build your portfolio and give you a larger fact base (i.e., more projects that you were paid for) to determine your answers from. I suggest this as I recently had some work done via DesignCrowd and found it (as a customer) useful.

Per your questions:
1. Word of mouth; Portfolio - samples of work had the feel I was looking for;
2. Via friends; via DesignCrowd
3. Logo, ad creation, artwork, etc.
4. Excellent work, timely iterations, etc.

MarinaOlenska
08-19-2016, 08:56 AM
Hi, Laura. I’ve found the graphic designer I currently work with on this website (https://www.xplace.com/design/jobs). I posted a job offer there and he got interested. Don’t know why I chose him exactly – I liked his portfolio, I guess – but people don’t have similar tastes, so I can’t give you advice about how to work on your portfolio. I think the best strategy is to be creative and post your portfolio on freelance websites such as the one I have already mentioned.