PDA

View Full Version : help!

Chuckís Confectionery
01-15-2014, 11:16 AM
I feel as though I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hired a guy who was supposed to be an online web guru to help navigate our company in terms of setting up a site and getting a good marketing campaign rolling. Well instead of being a web genius he turned out to be an unemployed fool whose knowledge is limited to updating a social media page; gosh, even I can do that! My anticipated website launch date has been completely thrown out the window. I am thinking of cutting out the middle man and setting up a site on my own. Does anyone know of good web hosting company? Iím not looking for anything fancy; I just want a clean, professional site.

delusional
01-16-2014, 06:54 AM
The problem with webdesign and web maintenance is that when the deal looks too good to be true, it most definitely is. People think building a website is easy and it should be cheap. I'm not saying that you also think that.

What kind of website is it? Is it purely informational or do you also have a store on your website? Depending on the amount of pages your website should have (think Homepage, Contact information, Product page, ...), the price goes up. If you want a webstore, the price doubles.

The best you could do is find a professional agency who does webdesign. The cheapest would be to find hosting which has support for Wordpress. Setting up a Wordpress site with a decent theme can be very cheap and is possibly your cheapest solution.

eppie
01-20-2014, 04:46 AM
I feel as though I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hired a guy who was supposed to be an online web guru to help navigate our company in terms of setting up a site and getting a good marketing campaign rolling. Well instead of being a web genius he turned out to be an unemployed fool whose knowledge is limited to updating a social media page; gosh, even I can do that! My anticipated website launch date has been completely thrown out the window. I am thinking of cutting out the middle man and setting up a site on my own. Does anyone know of good web hosting company? I’m not looking for anything fancy; I just want a clean, professional site.

For me, a good web host company is the one with a fast helpful customer service and I was able to find it in www.netignite.ph and I've been a satisfied customer since 2010. Their hosting package includes a Cpanel so I was able to set-up my own Wordpress site and SMF forum even without programming skills. As for the price, its basic hosting package costs only around $18.00 annually and you can pay via Paypal. And again, the best part is the fast customer service. :)

ap4aaron
01-20-2014, 02:13 PM
I know this might sound a little cheesy, but I found that the best website for hosting is GoDaddy. GoDaddy tends to have great customer service and the pricing is very competitive. They also have some nice tools to help you create your website. For the pricing, it costs around 5$ a month.

oxpaulo
01-20-2014, 04:25 PM
With a little research and teaching yourself you can create a very nice website using wordpress. Like the other commentators have said, it all depends on what kind of site it is. I've found that using Wordpress with Bluehost hosting is the best for novices.

gHiros
01-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Yes, I believe the easiest way to set up a website is to use the WordPress blogging platform. It's easy to install, use and it is very flexible. In fact, depending on the WordPress theme, you can create a complete eCommerce site, or a hybrid site, combining a business site with a blog.

A company I recommend is called WPSuperhost.com, and they provide hosting specifically for WordPress sites. And that's not even the half of it. They provide you with a comprehensive service, by installing WordPress for you (including plugins for SEO and caching purposes), providing you with a free domain name, and charging you a very affordable price. Check them out!

fredkawig
01-24-2014, 06:32 AM
That sounds horrible. You should sue the company which defrauded you, you may also file a complaint against them with the proper agency that handles such issues. You should try searching for good websites. http://www.hosting-review.com/web-hosting.php?aff_sub=H-R-International-V2-EN&aff_sub2=best%20webhosting%20sites&aff_sub3=b&gclid={gclid}&gclid=CIjp5cHolrwCFckE4god8x4Apg

Use Google always to check whether the site you are entering is a legitimate site or a scam site. It helps save you money.

alec
03-20-2014, 05:17 AM
For web hosting I'd recommend GoDaddy. At 10$ per month you get quality service and uptime. As for hiring people to build your business website, have a look at freelancer dot com. Users there have reviews and you can see how well they perform in the certain field you need to hire them in. The completion of projects is also visible so you can see if they finish their job on time or not. Pity you had such a bad experience. There are a lot of talented people out there but a lot of trash too.

Rainman
03-24-2014, 01:35 AM
Depending on where you live, you could initially take advantage of Google's offer to get you a free website, free domain name and free hosting for one year. http://www.gybo.com/

This could help you learn how to run a website for a year and after you've gained some experience you can get your website online on a different platform if you don't like the services you get from Google's partners.

Taru
03-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Perhaps he just oversold his own capabilities, I'd guess it happens all the time in any industry, and it's why it's best to layout the terms and conditions including the duties and limitations before coming to an agreement. Nonetheless, I think making your own site is a good move, especially since it doesn't really cost that much anyway. I think for this, HostGator is a good choice, as they are prominent enough so you know they are dependable and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, and as for web designers, you can probably just get someone off of oDesk or even Fiverr.

LindaKay
03-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Gosh -- I'm so sorry. I'd say that you're better off building your own stuff! You can do your research and play around with things. It's a learning process; I know because I'm working on building my website right now, too. I'm learning a lot along the way, but I won't say that it's hard or anything.

eagle22
03-27-2014, 02:50 PM
To answer your question about the web hosting company, I (and many others) have been with Host Gator for YEARS now and I have had no problems with them. They have incredible customer support and it is very rare my site ever goes down. As far as creating the site, you can go into your cpanel in Host Gator and install Wordpress. Wordpress is a CMS that makes it extremely easy to create a website.