PDA

View Full Version : Happy Employees = Good Employees

LindaKay
01-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Does anyone agree?

I have had several TERRIBLE bosses over the years. They really were mean, inconsiderate, didn't care at all about their employees, were greedy, etc. And downright hateful...all the time.

And their employees hated them for it and got to the point where they slacked off when they could get away with it.

I just think that everyone should know that HAPPY employees are good employees. Maybe not ALL the time, but it definitely makes a difference.

Just make sure that you keep that in mind when hiring and dealing with people.

I'm not saying you should pay them huge salaries or let them get away with anything they want to, but being considerate and kind every now and then really makes a difference.

oxpaulo
01-18-2014, 07:22 PM
I wish I could remember where the study was from, but the results were basically this: It is not a heavy workload that creates workplace stress and procrastination, but an unpleasant boss. So basically people can handle big workloads, but an overbearing boss causes an employee to procrastinate.

fredkawig
01-19-2014, 06:47 AM
I've watched a documentary about the happiest and most productive workplaces in the world. It shows that Google and other companies, workplaces who let their employees have fun most of the time and work only 4-8 hours with a lot of breaks, are the most efficient and has the best productivity rate. When people have fun and enjoy their work, they tend to be more productive and can focus better when working because they know that rewards and breaks are coming up soon as long as they finish the job. Toy companies who allow their employees to play whilst working, usually invent and create new toys that add value to the workplace and the business.

crimsonghost747
01-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Yes of course I agree. When you like doing something you are automatically a lot more productive at it. This has been proven by many studies but I've also noticed it personally, I'm good at things I like doing mainly because I want to do them properly. If it's something I do because I have to, then I take the shortcuts and work at a level which is acceptable but far from ideal.

seddik
01-19-2014, 09:21 PM
I totally agree. The key idea here that was handed down from top managers is that the way you treat your employees is most likely going to be the way they treat your clients. Insulting one's employees is a recipe for disaster and such a business model is doomed. Creativity is a daughter of freedom. A pleasant employer equals a pleasant employee equals a pleasant product.

hillaryNC
01-19-2014, 10:01 PM
I agree! At one place I worked, I had one really awesome boss! When he was working, I wanted to work hard to please him. He treated all the employees with respect and didn't look down on them, even though he was the store manager. Because he respected us so much, we respected him back. We always did what he said, and wanted to help him get all the things done that he had to do! But I guess, a lot of managers get power hungry and like being the boss, and bossing people around!

pandandesign
01-25-2014, 01:43 PM
There are some bosses who are easy going, and it really makes the workplace a fun place to work. Also, I have a few bosses that are funny and just let the employees to work in they are part of the family. I know there are some bosses just plain mean and don't really care about their employees, which makes some employees unhappy and don't care about their works. The majority of most employees want to have a good time while they focus on their works and I think it makes a difference if you have happy employees. Good point here.

ZekeCabnCrk
01-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Definitely agree. Although I will say the work environment matters as well. At one of my last jobs, our workspace was in a very small area, almost to the point where we had no personal space. We also didn't have any sunlight which made things worse. The bad part was for awhile we were in a different area where it was wide open and even had a nice view of the outside. I don't like working at places where sunlight isn't allowed to come in.

delusional
01-26-2014, 09:36 AM
What people should understand is that your workplace is still a place to get work done. You can be as friendly to your employees as you can but there will be a time when you have to be harsh in order to maximize profit. Because profit is everything your business is about.

I wouldn't want to fire all employees after 2 years and tell them "Yeah, but you had fun, no?".

swagger
01-26-2014, 03:05 PM
I always do my best to ensure that my employees are always happy. I've noticed that their work ethic is simply better when they're happy with their job. It really does make a difference if you treat your employees like family.

blaze4545
01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
You are exactly right! unhappy employees do not have much interest in their work because they just consider it a paycheck and will do the bare minimum to get by. They have not motivation to go that extra mile and put in more work then they have too. If an employer attempts to connect with that employee and possibly go out of their way to make them happy, that employee will feel like he or she is part of the business and will strive to do better and help the business to grow.

Taru
01-29-2014, 10:31 AM
I agree. Bosses should really make more of an effort to meet their employees halfway. However, I do understand how some or most bosses become jaded over the years, as there are some terrible employees out there as well, and I think it would be unfair to think that only bosses can be unfair. There are employees who take advantage of a good company sometimes, and I think this is where the problem stems from when it comes to some of the more difficult bosses.

Granted, I admit that some of them are just like that by default due to their personalities, but I think in some cases it's more of a group effort than just a problem with management. However, as I've said, I do agree and I do realize that bosses do have majority of the responsibility to keep the whole company happy.

LindaKay
01-29-2014, 03:58 PM
I agree with all of you.

Of course, it is a place of business, and profit is always the bottom line. BUT, more things can get done and the business can be ran much better if the employees work hard.

And I just think employees are more willing to work harder and do their best when they have a good boss.

Those who hate their jobs are more likely to call in sick or try to get out of working when they don't have to. Those who like their jobs and don't mind going to work will be more likely to stay late or come in on their days off.

People who get respect from their bosses are more likely to want to please them and keep them happy.

Some people will take advantage of that, of course. Those are the people who need to be let go.

Nickace9
01-29-2014, 11:23 PM
I work at a busy restaurant, and I think that raising happy employees is a huge priority. If you push someone to their boiling point, and they quit on the spot for example, your business will take a massive hit. I have seen the manager yell at an employee and then expect them to get back to waiting tables with a happy demeanor. It is mind boggling and I wish that owners would see people as individuals first, and employees second. In the end it is a mutual respect and an "I scratch your back, you scratch my back," effort.

Musho
01-29-2014, 11:32 PM
The trick to keeping your employees happy is to give them space and not watch over them like a hawk. People need to know that they accomplish tasks on their own while still being able to obtain guidance. Not to mention flexibility, always be very open with your co-workers and treat them as friends and not foes.

cpefley
01-29-2014, 11:42 PM
I absolutely agree. I personally don't have any employees, because I am an independent contractor, but if I did, I would want them to be happy, and have a fun, rewarding environment to work in. I think that the happier employees are, the more productive and efficient they are. People that have horrible, mean bosses will more than likely cause employees stress and can lead to mistakes, and even potentially health problems.
As a person who has had mean bosses, I know that the employees were only working hard when the boss was watching. If you don't like your boss, you will only do as much work to keep them off your back, because who wants to make money for a jerk?!

LindaKay
01-30-2014, 12:33 PM
I work at a busy restaurant, and I think that raising happy employees is a huge priority. If you push someone to their boiling point, and they quit on the spot for example, your business will take a massive hit. I have seen the manager yell at an employee and then expect them to get back to waiting tables with a happy demeanor. It is mind boggling and I wish that owners would see people as individuals first, and employees second. In the end it is a mutual respect and an "I scratch your back, you scratch my back," effort.

That's exactly how it was when I worked in the restaurant business. It was horrible. How could you go out of the kitchen with a smile on your face when you really want to snap and leave or start crying? It's brutal in those types of jobs.

lifeliveson
01-30-2014, 09:22 PM
just make sure its a good environment. Honestly I am making minimum wage and my job is not considered fun or rewarding, however I like going into work because I dont hate my life at the thought of working another day there. I have had jobs where it always felt liek I was walking on eggshells, always wondering if I was doing something wrong or going to get in trouble. I have quite often felt that something was going on behind my back. But the current job I have, none of that happens, and for once regardless of not loving the actual job itself I enjoy going to it. !

lifeliveson
01-30-2014, 09:25 PM
What people should understand is that your workplace is still a place to get work done. You can be as friendly to your employees as you can but there will be a time when you have to be harsh in order to maximize profit. Because profit is everything your business is about.

I wouldn't want to fire all employees after 2 years and tell them "Yeah, but you had fun, no?".

theres a difference between being friends and having fun then to have an enjoyable work space. It doesn't necessarily mean it has to be all fun and games. Just as long as its not a tense office/workplace. That you are kept in the loop of whats going on, theres open communication, and good attitudes. The last job I was at my manager was so unnapproachable that no one would talk to her face they would always send her emails even if just sitting beside her, things were constantly happening behind our backs that effected us without telling us, and no matter how good we were they made it known everyone was disposable. Toxic workplaces are just no fun.

DomDom
01-31-2014, 07:57 AM
That's exactly how it was when I worked in the restaurant business. It was horrible. How could you go out of the kitchen with a smile on your face when you really want to snap and leave or start crying? It's brutal in those types of jobs.

I never knew about this! My son is going to work as a waiter this summer. I guess living in the real world doing a real job will help him out. Any advice I could give him ?

novasparker
01-31-2014, 12:10 PM
If an employee feels valued and as though their work means something to the company, they will work harder for you. They like to know that they are valued by the company and that their bosses have their back. It is true that happy employees who feel valued and secure in their jobs tend to do more for the company and ultimately wind up making the company more successful.

Bizwiz1011
01-31-2014, 10:08 PM
My mood and overall work ethic at any job I had larger was do to my boss. I could easily coal mine for 13 hours a day if my boss was fair and pleasant.

KNH
02-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Oh definitely! Many studies have shown that happier people perform better in most aspects of life...e.g. work and relationships...I feel that mean bosses make people miserable and grumpy whereas fun bosses and co-workers make working better :)

jubvman
02-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Happy employees definitely do equal more productive employees. I think it's important to always provide a good working environment for your employees and show them respect.

nowicki2013
02-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I agree with you no doubt that happy employees = good employees. I have had good and bad bosses and I've always worked better for the good bosses. I told myself if I was ever a manager or a boss I would treat my employees good. For one, that's the way they should be treated in the first place, and for two, they'll probably work better and harder for me. I few years ago I got my chance when I was a team leader of this company I used to work for. There were 60 employees and I was in charge of 20 of them. There were 3 teams and my team was always on top. I always rewarded my team members with breaks and prizes anytime they earned them unlike the other 2 teams. So there you go, if you have your own business treat your employees good and they'll work good for you!

gHiros
02-02-2014, 07:39 PM
LindaKay, I totally agree with you. Going to work in a hostile environment is not fun at all. Your boss creates the "work culture", and if it's hostile, you're going to find that your fellow workers may become accustomed to that type of environment, compounding the negativity. When you talk about creating a fun and fertile work environment, Sir Richard Branson comes to mind. As great as he is, he does not come across as an arrogant individual, but a very humble one. And moreover, he embraces the idea of creating a fun work environment. Maybe that's why he's so successful.

cpefley
02-02-2014, 09:54 PM
I agree with you! I see other opinions that you have to be a 'little harsh', but I don't think so. If an employee isn't responding to a nurturing work environment, then they wouldn't be an employee I would want on my staff. I don't want to have to be tough on employees to rain their respect or make them more productive. I want them to enjoy their job as much as I do, and I think it does increase their productivity. "Zappos" is a great example of this http://positivesharing.com/2009/07/happiness-at-work-at-zappos/

mikelouis
02-09-2014, 07:37 PM
That is where employers and bosses fail to understand. Every boss to have a successful buisness needs to have good employee engangement skills. You need to understand what your employees need in return to deliver good services for your business. Failure to do so will result in a poor performance business and your best workers being snatched by your business rivals.

Lodismel
02-10-2014, 02:07 PM
It's true that happy employees are better than sad employees. It will up their work rate. There is a point when this can lead to complacency though. You have to find a balance. If your employees are absolutely content then they don't have much motivation to do better.

angelicagapit
02-19-2014, 01:04 AM
I definitely agree with you on this one. If an employee isn't enjoying their workplace, what would give them a reason to do better? If you can set a comfortable and friendly environment for your employees, then they'll enjoy their job and take initiative to do better to impress you. It helps to give rewards to the best employees. This will motivate them to do much better.

Rainman
02-19-2014, 02:57 AM
Better pay = Happy Employees = Good Employees.

I guess it depends on how much more you're paid compared to other employees in a smilar position in another company. I know most people would rather work for the money and ignore a 'bitchy' boss rather than work for a 'good' boss for crappy pay. Throw in some incentive: promotions [and a salary raise] and an employee will even be more productive regardless of [the] friendliness of the working environment.

basmae
02-19-2014, 04:33 AM
I've noticed the same thing too with my employees. If they are not happy then there tends to be a lot of fighting between everyone and it's just not that pleasant. I always try to make the office a happy environment.

spc97t
02-19-2014, 09:02 AM
I agree. A frequent thank you, a small bonus, a ticket to a concert, or some other token for an employee's hard work can go a long way. I helped my cousin turn his business into a success. Now, I served as only one of the many hard-working people who helped, but he rarely said thank you, and he gave me one item as a thank-you gift for my hard work right before I moved away, which was a laptop. I still have my laptop, and he said the laptop, originally $1200, cost him only $500. A laptop serves as a nice gift, and I found it a nice way of thanking me for the nearly-20 years of hard work I did for him. I also worked as a single mother, so he could have easily slipped in a $20 bonus every now and then.

alec
02-19-2014, 09:34 AM
It's hard to find someone in this thread disagreeing with you Linda, and judging by the overwhelming response it's been decided, happy employees are good employees.

Personally, I've had it all, be it a bad/incompetent and mean boss or jobs that payed peanuts and made cuts for every honest mistake. And what did I do in such cases? I just worked enough to make it seem like I cared, grabbed my check then repeated the process. In the era of outsourcing most places don't care about creating a productive work environment where the employee is satisfied, after all, you can always replace him with another ready to work, at least for a while, for meager pay in a hostile climate. And that's sad!

There are some good examples here of awesome workplaces like Google, or to add one more Blizzard (game maker), where most of the success and innovation comes from keeping the employees happy and honestly, I'd wish more jobs would be like that!

autograph
02-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I totally agree with this notion. Based on my experience, happy employees usually have a better outputs compared to the others. This might have something to do with their psychology. Having been an employee myself before, I notice that if my workplace in a enjoyable environment, I tend to do more works. In fact, I am more than willing to put in extra hours to do extra work as I felt comfortable.
Being a small time employer myself now, I always try to do my best to keep my employees happy.

caveman
02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Agreed! It's really a must to keep your employees happy. Having a good relationship with them can do wonders. But you should still keep things on the line and make sure they still get everything done.

M.K
02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
I've always invested more effort in work environments where I felt comfortable. There's definitely truth to this. Productivity and happiness go hand in hand, so keeping employees content is vital to success. Oftentimes, a good cop/bad cop approach in management can work well.

mameeker@cuse
02-19-2014, 04:28 PM
I can attest from an employee stand point that if my boss/employer is doing everything they can for me I will make sure to put in every bit of effort I have. If I feel that an employer is trying to take advantage of me, thus making me unhappy, I do the minimum amount of work required and start looking for a new job. A business relationship as with every other relationship in life is give and take, if your working hard for me I will work hard for you.

Radium
02-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Yes, as another poster mentioned heavy workloads don't cause stress, bad bosses cause the problem. In my opinion having happy and fulfilled employees is a key part of succeeding particularly for smaller businesses where individual employee input makes a huge difference compared to larger organizations. Happy equals more productivity and better opportunities for growth so I personally do what I can to keep my employees happy and in my opinion the best way to do that is to be reasonable when you deal with them. Another way to look at it is if the roles were reversed how would the decision you're about to take affect you, empathy can go a long way in the workplace.

sofieb529
02-21-2014, 03:40 PM
In most cases, yes. Happy employees will translate into good employees. Then there are the few, bad seeds that can never be made happy. A friend who owns a frozen yogurt stand in a mall had one such employee. She gave him days off without issue and always rewarded good work, yet she found horrible posts about her and her stand on his twitter page!

chelleeann
02-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Does anyone agree?

I have had several TERRIBLE bosses over the years. They really were mean, inconsiderate, didn't care at all about their employees, were greedy, etc. And downright hateful...all the time.

And their employees hated them for it and got to the point where they slacked off when they could get away with it.

I just think that everyone should know that HAPPY employees are good employees. Maybe not ALL the time, but it definitely makes a difference.

Just make sure that you keep that in mind when hiring and dealing with people.

I'm not saying you should pay them huge salaries or let them get away with anything they want to, but being considerate and kind every now and then really makes a difference.

I agree completely. I have personally always been a hard working and dedicated employee, willing to meet any goal that was set before me, willing to go the extra mile to accomplish a task. But when employees are constantly treated like nothing they do meets expectations, when the pay is low and the stress is high and when the hard work they do is never appreciated, commended and they don't get so much as a .50 cent raise, they get to the point where they feel like it doesn't matter how hard they work. They start to feel taken advantage of. Happy and well treated employees have been proven to work harder and enjoy their job more, whatever that job may be, when they are appreciated and feel that they are rewarded for their dedication and punctuality.

DomDom
02-21-2014, 06:32 PM
If you are respected you will be a good employee. Good conditions and respecting your employees will make them feel like you are working as a team. Thats the best attitude you can get them to have!

jptrey06
02-21-2014, 08:40 PM
True, they wouldnt think of leaving if they're happy with what theyre doing. A good boss isnt the only thing that will make them happy. A fair salary is probably the most important thing to keep them happy. If theyre not getting a fair salary, a good boss and employees will not change their mind if they can find a company where they can get the most money.

Mojibobo
02-21-2014, 10:58 PM
This does obviously help a lot, but if someone is simply badly educated and pisses about all the time then they obviously aren't going to make a good employee.

justSaying
02-22-2014, 01:23 AM
This is definitely true. When employees feel happy, they do so because they have a sense of belonging in relation to their workplace. This fosters team work, company protection and generally the company benefits much much more. However, the employer must be careful that this does not infringe into customer satisfaction. Sometimes, though rarely, overhead team work e.g. protecting employees when they commit an offense, especially in service type companies might end up with the customers feeling out of place with the end result being negative.

erikao1o
03-07-2014, 11:06 PM
I definitely think that happy employees and usually good employees. Happy employees are usually a lot more friendly towards customers, and they have a lot of positive energy. Happy employees are more likely to feel better about the place they work, and the people that they work with.

Lostvalleyguy
03-08-2014, 02:00 AM
I have been in the unhappy employee category a couple of times in my life. It changes my whole outlook on what I am doing. When I am happy about what I am doing, I am eager to do it, cheerful about doing it, the time flies and I am rarely tapped out at the end of the day. When I am unhappy, I drag myself to work - begrudgingly. I do my job, with a minimal effort, and I tend to be exhausted by the end of the day. In once case for me, the happy/unhappy was the same job, but with a different boss. The person who hired me left and the new boss was someone who I knew I wouldn't get along with. Had the new boss interviewed me, I wouldn't have considered the job.

I have to say that a pleasant working environment probably counts for a lot more than people think.

george.shepard
03-08-2014, 05:16 AM
Yes, I am agreed with you.

janineaa
03-08-2014, 06:26 AM
I have to agree with this one. In order to be a good leader, we must first be a good servant. In this case, we must be good to our employees and we must be able to empathize with whatever they are currently going through. We have to make sure though that the personal and professional relstionships do not cross the line. They might get too comfortable that they become inefficient. Happy employees work best in a good environment where everyone gets the work done.

strokeontent
03-08-2014, 06:30 AM
I don't think there is any doubt that happier employees are more productive, but it is important to consider that each person is different, and keeping an entire workforce happy isn't always easy.

Some people like it when you show appreciation for their work, whereas others will always see you as the boss and be cynical about that appreciation. It is therefore important that you place yourself in a position to maintain your employees respect above anything else. As long as you treat them fairly they have no reason not to be happy with you.

I don't think allowing people to spend time on facebook or youtube is a good way to keep them happy. So it's a thin balance between staff happiness and productivity.

gadgetised
03-08-2014, 07:49 AM
I currently volunteer for an organisation and I can say that even though I enjoy the work we do, the workplace environment is not a happy one. It makes things much more difficult, because it is a high stress job. I think it is important for a business to keep a look out for things like this, because it is affecting our work performance.

DomDom
03-08-2014, 02:43 PM
I don't think there is any doubt that happier employees are more productive, but it is important to consider that each person is different, and keeping an entire workforce happy isn't always easy.

Some people like it when you show appreciation for their work, whereas others will always see you as the boss and be cynical about that appreciation. It is therefore important that you place yourself in a position to maintain your employees respect above anything else. As long as you treat them fairly they have no reason not to be happy with you.

I don't think allowing people to spend time on facebook or youtube is a good way to keep them happy. So it's a thin balance between staff happiness and productivity.

Very true! A good medium between seriousness and happiness is the best mix!

wow gold
03-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Yes,i can't agree with you anymore more.A good boss can make all the employees work hard for him without any complaint.vice versa.

wander_n_wonder
03-13-2014, 11:53 PM
I agree with you. Bad employees are sometimes like rebellious kids. If they feel that they are not being given attention with regards to their needs, they will try to catch their bosses attention in a different way.

Also, a happy mood will always bring out good results. If you shower your employees with anger, you are more likely to see the result of that in their work.

LindaKay
03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Very true! A good medium between seriousness and happiness is the best mix!

I agree. You can't make everyone happy. But trying to be a good person and not make the workplace some sort of hell hole will at least please a lot of the employees, don't ya think?

pr0xx1d
03-18-2014, 06:42 PM
I think that there is definitely a connection between happiness and efficiency. Most unhappy people don't work well unless under severe pressure. However, people aren't likely to remain your employees if they are consistently unhappy.

Jane Hastings
03-19-2014, 09:50 PM
I agree with this. I believe if employees feel valued they tend to value their jobs more. If the employer treats them well and provide them a good working environment then the employees are more motivated to work. Employers should make sure that their employees are happy and employees should also make sure that their employers are happy with their performance. It really makes a difference to be surrounded with happy employees.

ursell
03-26-2014, 07:59 PM
I agree with all the above. A happy employee is a more productive employee. I also saw the show on Google and how they
let their employees have fun at work and they were very productive and happy.

GottBiz
03-27-2014, 05:29 AM
We live in a world where the "dollar signs" can be blinding. We are taught by magazines, movies, and that bill from that monthly college tuition collection agency that we need to "have a job" so we can pay for that house, that bill, that and save for our retirement. To do anything otherwise would be stupid; at least that is what we are taught.

However, for those of us that are a little more reflective, for those of us that study both ourselves and others, we eventually come to the conclusion that the things I wrote about above not only aren't the reason we should live, but since what we do vocationally makes such a large part of our lives, that we also should not have "a job" for those reasons either.

When I was nineteen years old, something "came to me" that I won't take credit for. The words of those earliest ideas weren't bad, but I eventually read a book a few years later that made my words obsolete. Here is the final version of those wise words I eventually settled on:

"When you find a job that is ideal, take it regardless of the pay. And if you have what it takes, you will soon find that your salary will reflect your value to the company." - Life's Little Instruction Book Part II

If we can convince ourselves of that, and those that we work with, we can begin to have happier work environments. We might lose some good people, but then we will gain some new ones. It is better to help people pursue the things that they enjoy instead of the things that will give them "greater financial freedom". The former might lead to places you never dreamed of.

gHiros
03-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Yes, I ditto the remark "Happy Employees" = "Good Employees". I believe that happy employees perform better, which results in "bank" for the company or business. But as others alluded to, it all starts at the top. Case in point ... Sir Richard Branson.

Kimble
03-29-2014, 03:32 AM
Mobbing, intentional or unintentional is another reason for employees to lose motivation.
Actually this is happening everyday at almost every office, however some people can stand to it more and some have to stand to it as they need the money.
I think this is a form of modern slavery and this is why I'm hoping to establish my own business one day and not have to obey to anyone -except maybe my clients' wishes.

Rosyrain
03-29-2014, 02:57 PM
I am an employee and agree with this completely. If you hate going to work because your boss is a jerk, you are not going to be productive at all. Angry employees just think about their anger at work, not getting the work done. If your employees enjoy their boss and the workplace then most often they will aim to please.

clay1224
03-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Yes, I do agree. My boss is awful and mean to all of his employees, therefore we don't work as hard and he knows it. He's let up a little, which is good beacause we all started working harder.

Ridge Hatrick
04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
As with others, I certainly have to agree that a happy work place affords the highest productivity and efficiency marks.

I remember working at McDonald's when I was young. The manager was my brothers roommate, and the other workers were my brother and some quiet girl that did the typical work involved with her position. We worked graveyard shift at the time, and since everyone was friends and the manager was also a friend, there was a lot of... well, playing around. I think that we worked perhaps 20% of the time we were at work. We weren't lazy, we just enjoyed the work since we were working with friends and could play around whenever we wanted. Instead of slacking off because of this, we did a very good job, very quickly, so that we could have more time joking around or listening to the music videos in the break room.

We had the highest marks on our cleanliness and quality of any crew, and also had less than half the drive-through time of any of the other shifts. Most people that knew what was going on would have wanted to put a stop to it or told us to get to work or some other pointless order. There's only so much you can do, and once it's done, there's no point in trying to order them around to do more when they've already done everything. Letting your employees have their free time when they've already done what they should, quickly and efficiently, ensures that they KEEP that quality and speed in their work.

Personally, when I hire someone, I don't look for qualifications, and I don't look for a slave. I look at their ability to get the job done in a timely manner. I instruct them in what to do (and how, if there NEEDS to be an exact order of operations), and then leave them to it. As long as they get things done when they need to be, then I let them do whatever they'd like as long as it's not costing me more money. I'd rather have someone that gets the job done quickly, with high quality, and then goofs around with whatever they'd like, than to have someone that slacks throughout the day and does a half-hearted job that I have to tell them to repeat since it wasn't done properly the first time... nor the second.

harpy
04-02-2014, 12:33 PM
As with others, I certainly have to agree that a happy work place affords the highest productivity and efficiency marks

Couldn't agree more.

I used to work at a department store and my supervisor was a complete jerk. I don't know how my colleagues and I survived the ordeal-- and I don't really think I want to remember the nightmarish episodes I spent working with him, haha! Our every move was scrutinized and whenever we did something that did not follow his instructions to the T, we would get reprimanded, oftentimes, publicly. I suffered, my colleagues suffered, team morale suffered and this showed in our performance. Obviously, our supervisor's supervisor noticed the bad output and would reprimand our supervisor during month-end seminars. Crazy supervisor would often take out his anger out on all of us. He managed to snag a promotion though, amidst his poor management skills. I don't know how that happened, but his transfer came as a relief to all us. He was replaced by a sweet 50-year old female who also became everyone's mother figure. We performed much better under her care, that's for sure.

Rosyrain
04-02-2014, 01:54 PM
I agree with this statement almost completely...the reason I say ALMOST is that there are two factors to consider:

1. If you have a great boss and work for a company, then yes you would be a happy employee. When you get into a good job, only to discover that your boss is a jerk, then the quality of your work will naturally decline over time. Most employees like to please their boss, especially if they love the company they work for and want to be praised for a job well done. An ineffective boss makes moral go down and employees get depressed when they have to go to work and deal with it all of the time.

2. On the flip side, you can have a great boss and just genuinly hate your job. Maybe the job is boring or in a field that you do not wish to be in at all. Having a great boss helps out tremendously, but at the end of the day you have to enjoy what you are doing.

stacyje
04-02-2014, 04:03 PM
I agree an happy employee is a good employee, I have had some good bosses and bad ones but my thing is that an employee is as good as the boss treats them and teaches them. If you have a mean boss you gonna sometimes have mean employees . I believing giving employees pats on the back sometimes show them that you appreciate their work.

MahaKarthi
01-09-2015, 05:28 AM
I do agree with most of the replies here. Companies where employees get the best benefits are those who perform very well in their role and also give more productivity. I would like to quote Piterion as the best example here. The employees get good working benefits and appreciation is enormous for every good work they do.