PDA

View Full Version : I was curious...

theshaynee
01-16-2014, 09:12 AM
What, if any, home based businesses actually worked? For years now, I've wondered if it was possibly to actually have an income from working at home. There are several ideas bouncing around and tons of part time sites people can use. But as far as running a business, it seems harder than most want to admit.

JoBWAH
01-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Hi theshaynee, I assume you're asking about the sort of ready made work at home business models that are advertised around the internet. I can only say be extremely wary! The VAST majority are at best not worth much and at worst an outright scam which could end up losing you a lot of money. Even the ones that are successful and well established home business models/franchises require a lot of hard work, time and commitment to make a decent amount of money.
If you look around forums like this one you'll see lots of people complaining about these types of schemes but also lots saying how wonderful they can be. Bear in mind that those saying they're great are likely to be the very ones who stand to gain by signing more people up to their particular scheme!

cpefley
01-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Some work, some don't. I would never advise paying money to some website that promises profits. Most of those are scams. But, there are many different businesses that you can start your own. The first thing is finding something that you are passionate about. It could be a service or a product that you believe in. It is hard to get started from scratch, but there are some great resources like sba.gov to help guide you in the process.

wahmbrenda
01-21-2014, 12:51 PM
I think that affiliate marketing is one of the best home business models available. The others seem to all have issues within them. Fortunately, there's a lot of products that you can choose from so even if there was a program that you were looking at that was MLM you could probably do it with affiliate marketing instead.

theshaynee
01-22-2014, 07:52 AM
I've recently looked into affiliate marketing. It seems pretty valid and even profitable once used the right way.
There are so many marketing scams that it's difficult to piece together what works and what doesn't. But I think that there are quite a few scams for every one true business venture.
The best thing I've found so far is freelance work. It takes patience and lots of dedication but it's worth it to set your own hours.

CliffLife
01-22-2014, 10:12 AM
You can definitely start an at home business and have it be successful. Will it make you your first million dollars? More than likely not, however you can earn a decent income from home. The hardest part about home businesses for people is keeping motivated. There's a reason people say leave work at work and leave home at home. Mixing the two generally isn't good for the normal person. However, if you're driven and set on doing this, you can make anything happen.

Ted255
01-22-2014, 11:38 AM
In my opinion the best business model would be to start a website around something you love. Maybe you are into dogs and make a website about dogs. You would try to focus on everything from dog food to dog health. You would post interesting posts that help people out. You would use your sidebar to insert affiliate products from Amazon or other affiliate networks. You could also place Adsense ads in the sidebar and within your posts. You could review certain products for dogs and offer an affiliate link towards the product's sales pages. You would make money and do it by being truthful and helpful and people will recommend your website to others. This is a business model that needs work but it can be very rewarding. And because you are writing about something that you love you aren't actually feeling like it is work! Believe me, I know what I'm saying! I have a website about something I love and it does not feel like I am working when I am writing for it!

wahmbrenda
01-23-2014, 04:54 PM
I honestly think that it depends upon the person. I know that some people have done very well for themselves with things like Amway but I've never been good at that. MLM is a waste of time in my opinion. Regardless of the business structure, the product must be something you like and can stand behind or it's not going to work anyway.

fredkawig
01-24-2014, 06:24 AM
It always depends on the type of business you are doing from home either internet work-at-home which most offers are scams, or a business with physical manifestations. People who work-at-home are bosses of themselves thus, they can manage their time well and work at a pace which they want to. Working at home only works when you do it full time and when you are determined to earn profit, otherwise it will probably fail.

smartmom
01-24-2014, 11:38 AM
I feel that it is very important to find out what works for you. Sometimes people copy businesses because they see the success of others. What works for one may not work for others. There are people that are passionate in certain areas. This is the area that a person should work in. The area that they know a lot about. Is there a high demand for what you are doing from home. In your business unique or are there thousands if not millions just like it? Is your website attractive? Are you really good at what you are doing. Is your site updated on a regular basis with great content? These are things that we should all ask ourselves if we want to compete and earn a decent living out here on the web. In fact what I have started doing is search for similar businesses like mines and make my business offer more than the others and make my site outshine theirs. There is a lot of competition here.

pandandesign
01-24-2014, 01:33 PM
It depends what kind of home business will you be doing. I have heard some people make a living out of it and some have suffer through it because they don't make any money at all. There are a few ways to earn extra money by doing home business and depending how well you know the market. For instance, there is an article about a lady who makes a lot of money selling clothes online, and what has surprised me is that she is a doctor. She quits the job being as a doctor and sells clothes online for full-time, which she makes more money than when she is a doctor. Like the above posts say, affiliate marketing can be one of the ways to make extra money, but you have to know what to do in order to make money as your main income. I have heard people do telemarketing and online sale, which I often hear them on the radio station. I don't work from home much, and if so I'm considering to do some website blog design, which I make blog buttons and themes for those who want their sites to be fancy.

gHiros
01-24-2014, 04:19 PM
For me, affiliate marketing works, if you have a website with a good flow of visitors. Also, the affiliate products should be legit, tested by you, and solves a pressing problem for your visitors.

If you have a skill, such as writing, etc., I would venture into the freelance world. You can make some money on sites like Fiverr or Iwriter. Leveraging your strengths/skills to make money is the best way to go.

Good Luck!

wahmbrenda
01-24-2014, 05:22 PM
gHiros I completely agree... I've heard a lot of really good things about affiliate marketing. I never got into it myself as I simply don't have the necessary marketing skills. Instead, I went into freelance writing and did really well for 10 years until I pretty much gave it up. I still do some writing but I have neurological and other issues so it's not always easy to do writing. There's a huge call for good writers and great money can be made if you're willing to put in the work.

LindaKay
01-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Affiliate marketing CAN work, but it does take a bit of time, and it can be very unreliable.

Selling things online (like on eBay or Etsy) can work if you have good products and are able to keep them at somewhat reasonable prices.

I make my money online by running a writing business. I complete articles, blog posts and other written work for pay. I love it, and it might be something for you to try.

wahmbrenda
01-25-2014, 02:05 PM
LindaKay I worked as a freelance writer making good money at it for 10 years. My health won't permit it anymore unfortunately. Since then I did try Etsy but wasn't able to sell anything. I do plastic canvas and it seems people don't want to buy that on there.

DomDom
01-26-2014, 05:25 AM
The best things to get you started for a home business are good websites (monetizing and adding ads to them). Also content writing is pretty good. Both of these need some quality work. But if you can get good enough to have a really good and useful site it is definitively possible. But harder than it looks really :D. Being an online content writer for websites is also plausible but takes some time develop your skills and ofcourse an important thing is the talent you have for it. You can earn 10-15$ and hour doing this I think. Another thing you may think about is trading securities. These are all just online businesses. Ask if you have further questions :)

GordonTheComputerGuy
01-27-2014, 03:07 AM
Depending on what kind of product or service you try, you may find that concentrating locally can end up giving a boost to online sales, and the reverse is true as well.

If you are technically inclined at all do look into any type of work & development in the cell phone field, we are getting to the point where there are more smartphones than home computers. With such a large target even low priced simple ideas and products can add up real fast.

wahmbrenda
01-28-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm starting to think that those who are going to do best with a home business are those who have some type of college degree. For instance, English majors could make a great living off of writing. This isn't to say that if you simply have a natural talent here you wouldn't do well too.

JohnSword
01-29-2014, 04:19 AM
Home-based business are definitely viable. This is especially true in this day and age, when transactions can be done online and at the click of a button. At the same time, it's important that you do something that you're passionate about, so as to keep yourself motivated. You should also invest time and effort researching your competition and building your brand image.

As for earning an income from home, I see many people doing it to much success. Just look are those game casters on Twitch TV. Some of them are earning more than an office job. Of course, it requires tons of dedication and hard work, but it's definitely possible.

DomDom
01-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Home-based business are definitely viable. This is especially true in this day and age, when transactions can be done online and at the click of a button. At the same time, it's important that you do something that you're passionate about, so as to keep yourself motivated. You should also invest time and effort researching your competition and building your brand image.

As for earning an income from home, I see many people doing it to much success. Just look are those game casters on Twitch TV. Some of them are earning more than an office job. Of course, it requires tons of dedication and hard work, but it's definitely possible.

The real answer is that anything that makes sense is viable. The main factor is YOU, You have to work harder and if you work harder expand and develop succes is not an option! :)

cpefley
01-30-2014, 04:24 AM
Definitely a lot of competition. I think that if you work hard, and believe in what you do, you can succeed. I think that people with unique, innovative ideas are the most successful, but copying a business model can work. I would stay away from MLM only because the people on the bottom always end up doing the hard work and not reaping the benefits. Plus, a lot of those businesses sell substandard products and hype them up to be something they are not.

jubvman
01-30-2014, 04:59 AM
Some home-based businesses definitely do work, I know many people who work entirely from the comfort of their own home. However, they all own legit online businesses and some ecommerce stuff. These 'get rich at home' type marketing things that advertise huge profits don't work.

wahmbrenda
01-30-2014, 01:04 PM
I think it's been said before but I'm going to say it again... It's going to take a lot of hard work and effort. Anyone who thinks that they can make easy money online today is wrong. That time is gone unfortunately. I wish it was still easy to make money online but it's not.

Taru
03-21-2014, 02:59 AM
A lot of the online / work from home business models work. It just depends on which ones you'd find to be interesting enough to put in a good amount of effort into it, enough to become successful at it. Often, people just go towards what they think will generate the most money, not keeping in mind that almost always it necessitates a good amount of investment of time, effort, and even money. If you do your research thoroughly and are not afraid to test things out, then working from home can definitely work for you.

lizzief79
03-21-2014, 07:56 PM
I work as a freelance writer and this works for me. However, I did do this part-time for a while when I still had a full-time job. This got me started. I wouldn't recommend packing in work and suddenly expecting to earn an income online. It takes time and effort.

DomDom
03-22-2014, 05:48 AM
Definitely a lot of competition. I think that if you work hard, and believe in what you do, you can succeed. I think that people with unique, innovative ideas are the most successful, but copying a business model can work. I would stay away from MLM only because the people on the bottom always end up doing the hard work and not reaping the benefits. Plus, a lot of those businesses sell substandard products and hype them up to be something they are not.

I think innovative ideas are overrated. I personally know very few people with innovative ideas, the most succesful ones I know simply copied other business types and worked hard at it.

ursell
03-22-2014, 02:34 PM
What is the right way to make money in affiliate marketing and how long does it takes for you to
make money with affiliate marketing? I want to work from home. So how do I go about doing it?

Eagles910
03-22-2014, 02:41 PM
You should try it in your spare time first. Do not quit your job, and say i am going to work at home. You to try it out , and see if you like it. More importantly you need to see if you are any good at. Your success starts with you deciding what kind of business you want to start.

mikelouis
03-23-2014, 01:45 AM
It depends on your business model. There is that business that does not need a lot of time to manage but can actually bring in a lot of money. It is like any other business. You first need to carry out a research to see if the business will have good market before setting it up. Also after setting it up make sure you promote it to get new clients or else people will not know about it.

pirma
03-23-2014, 01:49 AM
You can certainly start out a great at your home business and still have the idea be successful. Will it make you the very first mil us dollars? Most likely certainly not, nevertheless you can make a decent revenue from home. The particular trickiest component concerning home businesses for people is usually maintaining inspired. There is a reason persons state depart act on do the job and also set out at your home. Mixing the two commonly isn't really great for the traditional man or women. However, should you be powered and also set upon achieving this, you can create anything at all take place.
http://portalpark.net/10204/11/w.png

Lithium
03-23-2014, 02:45 AM
If you live in a poor country, 1 dollar a day can feed your family. Thus, by working on Mturk, you can earn quite a fortune.

gadgetised
03-23-2014, 04:11 AM
It is possible. People do it all the time. It just depends on how committed you are and how good your ideas are.

nick87
03-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Tons of businesses that are now huge started off as a small home based business. Jiffy lube started off as just a small home based business in somebody's garage, now look at how far it's come-one of the biggest name car repair shops in the US.

melapasana
03-28-2014, 09:16 AM
I agree that running a business is harder than it seems. If you have your own business, you are solely responsible for your income. I imagine most successful business owners worked 60 to 80 hours a week on their business and most probably continue to do that. In order to have the motivation, you have to start a business that is something you enjoy, are passionate about.

ElvisPresley
03-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Home based businesess do work, but not in the way that you've been led to believe. You need to understand that people are selling you the lifestyle, and they're doing so by telling you that you'll be rich and that you can work a few measley hours a day, but for a home business to really work you'll need to work super hard, especially because of the competition.