PDA

View Full Version : Door hangers

theshaynee
01-16-2014, 11:37 AM
I remember a few years ago trying to start a business with my family. We made a ton of those foam door hanger things and printed our logo and business hours on it. All we ended up getting was a prank call. Why do you think certain advertising strategies work and others, like door hangers, don't?

AlvinsGiftsDis
01-16-2014, 12:34 PM
I think door hangers only work if you put coupons on them. Also, it depends on the type of business hanging them. Door hangers are a bit "old school". I killer website and word of mouth is the best advertisement.

delusional
01-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Door hangers could work in a region where a lot of students live. Also print special promotions on the door hanger, maybe even a list of the items you have. People tend to throw away stuff that is just promotional so try to make it something more. Maybe even something useful and funny.

MLeoCasas
01-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Door hangers and door-to-door flyering are sort of the physical equivalent to spam in your email. I would say the only exception is in college towns and urban areas with lots of apartment complexes- places where people aren't in the habit of breaking out a phone book or doing a google search to find what they're looking for.

I agree with AlvinsGiftsDis's comment above. THe door hanger method is fairly out of date....Go viral, it might seem like a burden now, but it's so much more than worth it.

LindaKay
01-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Door hangers and door-to-door flyering are sort of the physical equivalent to spam in your email. I would say the only exception is in college towns and urban areas with lots of apartment complexes- places where people aren't in the habit of breaking out a phone book or doing a google search to find what they're looking for.

I agree with AlvinsGiftsDis's comment above. THe door hanger method is fairly out of date....Go viral, it might seem like a burden now, but it's so much more than worth it.

That's pretty accurate. I don't think people find those things to be too appealing. It seems like a major waste of money and time if you ask me. I definitely think you're better off doing online marketing. For some local businesses, you might be able to hang up flyers on bulletin boards and in local stores, but it kind of depends on the type of business that you are running.

Taru
02-17-2014, 08:50 PM
I think some methods are just a little too informal to be taken seriously, and even though that may not turn out to be a universal perspective, it usually entails a majority one. People are often quick to judge a business by what type of advertising they choose to buy into, and door hangers might just be one of those methods that the masses collectively deemed not to be taken too seriously and hence the prank calls. To be fair, though, I'd think that even the ones who have their ads on the local newspaper got their fair share of prank calls too just because people were a lot more bored back then.

CSomm
02-18-2014, 10:28 PM
You have to provided a deal with door hangers, and you should know what kind of customer you'll get from each door. Targeted areas are good for this kind of promotion, and I'd over saturate them---make sure they KNOW your name, and like your deal. But if you don't do your homework, you'll waste money and time hanging doors that have no one who'd care living behind them. It's not too hard to learn who lives in a neighborhood, and you should be comfortable that the people living in that neighborhood are going to be receptive to your campaign.

jubvman
02-19-2014, 03:21 AM

Definitely agree with this. Recently went cold calling for one of my businesses for the first time and could tell straight away it was an outdated method. I think a lot of people feel an invasion of privacy or something along those lines. Websites and word of mouth is at the top of scale when it comes to advertising now in my opinion.

M.K
02-19-2014, 04:17 AM
For what it's worth, I've never once taken more than a glance at door hangers or flyers. It's an annoyance, and could actually hurt your company's reputation. It's simply not worth the labour costs, especially when there are so many better options.

pahagwl
02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Advertising is all about grabbing the attention of the general public. The advertisement in order to succeed needs to be attractive and must be able to convey information to the audience without taking much of their time. Some modes like billboards, etc are very popular and have been around since advertising itself. Now people are innovating and developing new modes of outdoor advertising in terms of door hangers, etc which are not being met with decent amount of success. The main reason here that sometimes they are too complicated for the average person to process.

angelicagapit
02-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Door hanger advertising is a bit outdated. Think of something people enjoy today, such as winning contests/freebies or getting product discounts.

Always keep in mind what your customers think they could benefit from. When it comes to contest advertising, customers have the benefit of getting a chance to win a certain prize, so they would definitely be interested in your business.

A small piece of advice on giving discounts to people is by giving out fliers. On the bottom flier, you could state "If you present this flier to our office, you get a 10% discount." Then they wouldn't want to let go of that flier.

samm1973
02-20-2014, 12:10 AM
About the only business I can think of that is likely to generate business from a door hanger/flyer is restaurant. I know a lot of Chinese and Pizza places still canvas pretty heavily in my area. Wouldn't they be likely to stop if they weren't getting some return on their investment? For any other business though, I definitely send those directly to the round file.

caveman
02-20-2014, 03:16 AM
It needs to be attention grabbing. Especially with the wording and the graphics. If something looks interesting, I always read it. You could also add a funny substance to it. I know many of my clients like that. Also, I think adding a few deals or 'sale' really grabs the attention.

Lois5669
02-22-2014, 06:41 PM
I like door hangers and I don't like door hangers. lol

I think they (as well as printed flyers) are great way to advertise inexpensively. The problem with them, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is that they can come across as "spam." The trick is to know your audience. Be sure to investigate the market and figure out where these types of advertising tools would be of the best help.

For example, with my plumbing company, we started off by printing flyers to pass out. A lot of the effort was wasted time, but there were some successes, also. What it came down to was WHERE the flyers were put out. In older communities of average income people, we got 2 calls for service from one street. However, in a relatively new community, no calls. It makes sense when you think about it, but at the time, we were just trying to paper the town and get our name out there.

So, door hangers can be effective. You just need to know your audience.

mameeker@cuse
02-22-2014, 11:22 PM
If your business is something people do not need, no amount of advertising will work. I would suggest finding your right target audience.

TaraC
02-23-2014, 01:10 AM
I know of a few insurance agents that claim that door hangers worked for them.

I don't think they aren't as effective as they used to be. I don't enter my place through the front door. Most of the people I know rarely leave and enter through their front door.

Lithium
02-23-2014, 02:23 AM
People are usually annoyed by door hangers. When I see one on my knob, I usually tear it and throw it to garbage without looking at the ad. I would recommend advertising your business through something more reliable. Maybe you should make a site, or a Facebook page. Anything else but door hangers.

albertj786
03-14-2014, 03:07 AM
door hangers work in region but it would also work in city or in alot of cities like if you want to promote your business you should marketing your business through social media and the best way to advertising you should create a page on facebook about your business and invite you friends on that page and tell your friends to invite their friends and this way your business will promote easily and alot of people get attention on your business

Lithium
03-14-2014, 10:10 AM
I don't think they've ever been effective. They also mean waste of paper.

idlecuriosities
03-18-2014, 12:15 PM
I remember a few years ago trying to start a business with my family. We made a ton of those foam door hanger things and printed our logo and business hours on it. All we ended up getting was a prank call. Why do you think certain advertising strategies work and others, like door hangers, don't?

I think it depends on the business. Door hangers work great for local restaurants that offer delivery. It's effective because it is convenient. I'm not sure what your business was, but you need to really think is this method of advertising going to attract that type of people that will frequent my business?

SteakTartare
03-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Generally speaking, I can't imagine the cost (both time and money) to benefit ratio is worth it for most small businesses. Maybe on initial launch, but as regular method, not so much so.

Another thing to really keep in mind is how common door hangers are in your area. Some rural areas they aren't real common so the consumer might check them out. On the other hand, I've seen some urban areas where getting your door festooned with hangers was a daily occurrence. Most people in those markets just tossed them without thinking about it.

Eagles910
03-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Those type methods do not work because they are gimmicks. No body is going to buy a product, or service because you put a logo on a foam hanger. Stop giving out foam hangers, and give out coupons. Coupons work every time, in my experience. You need to give the customer incentive. Something that stands out. Then you hope, and pray that you have won their business.

nick87
03-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Door hangers are annoying and intrusive. They show that you're trying to advertise to the people even when they don't want to be advertised to. Meanwhile, when they're out driving and see a sign for $5 pizza, they're likely to go for it because they were already wanting food, and it just stirred up a spur of the moment response.

Heatherbug
02-27-2016, 08:32 AM
I don't agree with most of the responses here except that you need to know your target customer.

Print media is not dead.

It's actually making a comeback as small companies and start ups are realizing the value of print in establishing their brand.

A door hanger is physical and tangible. Unlike email and online ads, customers have it in thier hands and have to do something with it...even if it's tossing it in the "circular file".
If I'm looking for a roofer and find a roofing flyer on my door, then I don't have a reason to go on Craigslist to see the competition, especially if it has a coupon or special attached.

If I don't need a roofer, then I won't be looking online for one either.

My opinion us to use your marketing budget to smartly target customers with an array of marketing strategies online and offline in order to BRAND your business.

Scott ATM Solutions
03-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Depending on the service, door hangers can be a way of eagle vision targeting leads. A good example of this is a painting company I used to canvass for. Whilst canvassing, you can spot which houses are in need of a painting service and can prove to be more effective, with skill, than a broad internet marketing campaign. The cons are that it is labor intensive and time exhaustive. To epitomize, if it can be done, I don't see a reason why the right approach to an internet marketing campaign wouldn't be the most effective means of advertising a service, however depending on the industry methods such as canvassing can still currently be used effectively.

gilsulate
11-14-2018, 11:11 PM
The advertisement in order to succeed needs to be attractive, important, and must be able to convey information to the audience without taking much of their time.

amayajace
11-22-2019, 03:35 AM
Door hangers are automatically set apart from other junk mail since they're next to impossible to ignore, and they're extremely cost effective to print and distribute, so it's no wonder that door hangers often achieve a high response rate.

acurry
01-20-2020, 02:34 PM
What all was printed on the door hanger? And what business are you in?