PDA

View Full Version : PayPal HERE vs Square, vs others?

AliceT
01-16-2014, 06:42 PM
A few years ago, Square released a gizmo that attaches to your cell phone to you can collect credit and debit cards easily, without a merchant account. PayPal has a new one called HERE. GoPayment by Intuit is another option. I'm inclined to go with the PayPal version because I already accept many payment through PayPal so it makes sense to keep everything under the same roof.

Are there any others out there that I am overlooking? Does anyone have first hand experience with any of these companies?

Square - https://squareup.com/
GoPayment - http://payments.intuit.com/mobile-credit-card-processing/
PayPal Here - https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

I also found this handy processing cost calculator - http://www.cardfellow.com/content/calculators/phone-processing-calculator.php

delusional
01-17-2014, 05:38 AM
If you already have worked with Paypal a lot, stick with them if they're the most profitable for your business.
I wouldn't go for GoPayment, they're really not that well known.

If the total cost of Square is better than Paypal, take that one.

I would advise on getting a Paypal Merchant account because if you don't, there is a big chance they will block your account and all the money in it if you start to process too much money.

AliceT
01-17-2014, 01:19 PM
I do have a PayPal merchant account and the cost calculator referenced above does say that PayPal HERE would be the best option for me based on my sales volume and costs. I was hoping someone who currently users one of these services would be able to provide some feedback.

delusional
01-18-2014, 02:33 AM
I do have a PayPal merchant account and the cost calculator referenced above does say that PayPal HERE would be the best option for me based on my sales volume and costs. I was hoping someone who currently users one of these services would be able to provide some feedback.

I used Paypal and I have tried out Square in the beginning. The only thing I didn't like about Square was the device itself. It swivels so it's not that great to swipe a card. This was more than a year ago. I don't know if they improved the design of the thing though.

If Paypal was the cheapest, stick with them. Switching services isn't difficult if the need would arise.

tspires2
02-01-2014, 11:40 AM
I have used both Square and PayPal. To be honest with you the only reason I choose to stay with PayPal is because I get paid from others areas to my PayPal account so it is just easier for me to keep up with all income in one place!

I did like Square and it was convenient to go into my bank account so I guess for me they are about the same!

wahmbrenda
02-01-2014, 12:21 PM
PayPal is definitely the most popular. I'd almost go so far as to say that they have somewhat of a monopoly. I actually hadn't heard of the others you'd mentioned, probably because all of my clients do pay via PayPal.

Bakerpat
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I have both paypal and the square. I have only used the paypal mainly because the square is not compatible with my phone. I like the fact that the square puts the money in my account directly although I do have a paypal debit card.

cpefley
02-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I see Square and Paypal a lot. I would go with which ever one is cheaper, but since I have a Paypal account, I use Paypal. I have thought about using Square, but now sure if it would really be any different. I love the card readers thought. So convenient.

KNH
02-01-2014, 07:42 PM
I find PayPal to be more convenient and more easily accessible :)

TaraC
02-02-2014, 02:52 AM
I used Square when I sold insurance. Even though I have PayPal, I don't feel comfortable to using it for an offline business. I have had minor problems with PayPal in the past and I know some people who have had their accounts frozen.

wahmbrenda
02-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I'd never even heard of Square. Is it just like PayPal? What sites are paying with it?

Lodismel
02-02-2014, 02:41 PM
I would highly recommend that you use PayPal. There are a few reasons for this. The most important reason is that it is the most well known method. There is a reason for that. They do a very good job and make transactions easy. There are a lot of people who use it and are more comfortable with it as well. Anything that makes the transaction process smoother and makes people less reluctant to pay you is in your best interests.

pandandesign
02-03-2014, 01:46 AM
I think you should stick with Paypal because that's what you have been using for your business. I would not do the change unless Paypal causes a lot of problems, which then you should look into other payment method. For me, I haven't heard of the other two, which I would think Paypal is the way to go unless you have found the cost is less on other payment methods. I like Paypal because it's well-organized and is very simple to use, which you can keep track of anything on the site, plus the cost isn't as higher as I thought it would be. But then again, it's up to you since you can pick whichever is better and suitable for you.

cassylexandra
02-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Choosing between Paypal and Square, I would go with Paypal. It's cheaper in my opinion, plus many people are familiarized with Paypal. I think I've come across a handful or so amount of people that never heard of Square, actually. I haven't had problems with Paypal yet, so I'll continue using Paypal until then.

rijndael
02-07-2014, 03:53 PM
I use Square and love it. The system has been really easy to use and I love how simple their website is. My only gripe with them is the lack of an API to plug into websites to take payments online. I'm sure Paypal and other already have this feature available.

caveman
02-08-2014, 04:19 AM
I think I would stick to paypal. I've been using it for about 8 years and haven't had any problems. I guess it's also because I'm very comfortable navigating the pages. But I've never tried square before.

fredkawig
02-08-2014, 08:45 AM
I only know and have paypal. I haven't tried Here or Square though. Both might work depending on your inclination to a company. The more convenient the service the better the service is what I say.

wahmbrenda
02-08-2014, 10:10 AM
I agree that PayPal is the best known of these companies. However, I don't like that they have a monopoly. While this may make us feel safe for now, what happens if they suddenly go out of business? (Regardless of how long they've been around, this could still happen.) It's reasons like this that it's wise to at least know what other payment processors exist today.

TaraC
02-08-2014, 06:59 PM
I'd never even heard of Square. Is it just like PayPal? What sites are paying with it?

Square allows small business owners and freelancer to accept credit card payments via their smartphone (iPhone and Android) or tablet. It was the first company to offer this service. It's been around for 5 years. PayPal added the same capabilities because of the success of Square. It's not for websites. I used it when I was selling insurance.

wahmbrenda
02-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I think that's probably the reason I've never heard of it... I don't have a Smart Phone nor a need for taking instant credit card payments on the spot. I think it's great that PayPal now allows you to do the same thing but you'd think they'd be more up on their technology than they seemingly are. Nevertheless, I still think they're the best at their "game," which is why they have a monopoly.

Bonyi
02-10-2014, 01:34 PM
In my opinion, it is better to stick with Paypal since they have wider coverage than any other online financial system.

nicolefiore90
02-11-2014, 04:09 PM
I personally like the square up app, I know it charges you a fee per transaction but I refuse to do business with PayPal.

CSomm
02-15-2014, 05:17 PM
I'd suggest http://www.salesvu.com for fans for Square. It's a bit cheaper per transaction, and they offer online ordering integration straight from their POS system. I've had nothing but good luck with them, and they've made me take a greater interest in what my POS can do for me---to the point where I now have the company owner's phone number so I can speak with him directly about the product and changes I'd like to see. Can't do that with Square or Paypal!

lifeliveson
02-16-2014, 07:36 PM
I use paypal but very seldom... I've seen squats before and was interested but haven't quite looked into it. I'm going to have to do my research on what is more reliable with the better transaction fees.. But I think I will end up making that step for my business soon enough

delusional
02-17-2014, 04:04 AM
I'd suggest http://www.salesvu.com for fans for Square. It's a bit cheaper per transaction, and they offer online ordering integration straight from their POS system. I've had nothing but good luck with them, and they've made me take a greater interest in what my POS can do for me---to the point where I now have the company owner's phone number so I can speak with him directly about the product and changes I'd like to see. Can't do that with Square or Paypal!

That looks like a nice alternative to Square. They offer the same features (maybe even more). Do you get the device for free? What about the receipt printer?

mikelouis
02-17-2014, 08:06 PM
I have not used these gadgets but reading from the replies I think it is time to use them. I have read how it is easier to use and convenient and that is what we look for in any new technology.

pr0xx1d
02-24-2014, 10:41 PM
I'd go with Square. I've had friends that used it and it worked out really great. They don't take that much from your sales. I have lost trust for PayPal over the years so any of their products are not an option for me of my business ventures.

Lithium
02-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Paypal is way better than other services simply because everybody uses it. However, Payoneer is decent too. If you don't want Paypal, I recommend Payoneer to you.

cpefley
02-25-2014, 11:47 AM
I had never heard of salesvu, but will definitely check it out. It sounds like a great alternative to Square and Paypal. The fees are just ridiculous with both of them.

Takedon
02-26-2014, 02:42 PM
You should stay with paypal because nearly everyone uses it and you can get money easier.

dannymoore
01-23-2015, 01:18 AM
Hey Alice! I tried using PayPal during my first entrepreneurial venture (an offline business), but had some issues with it. My peers use Square, but I've finally gotten hooked on to Credit Card Processing (http://creditcardprocessing.com) for my new online business. It offers cutting-edge solutions, state-of-the-art technology, and fast and reliable services. In fact, they go an extra mile to offer customized solutions to businesses (based on the nature of work, industry, risk, needs, etc.)

Robert01
06-09-2015, 11:38 AM
I vote for PayPal.

zakkleifeste
06-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm a Braintree user. It's perfect for developers and offers subscription services that are included. In order to use PayPal for subscriptions you have to upgrade to PayPal Pro

Scott58
09-15-2015, 10:08 AM
I used Paypal this is the most popular than Square.

jamesbyrns
09-29-2015, 06:06 AM
Thumbs up for paypal!

Vernnwhite
10-03-2015, 06:54 AM
Paypal all time best

Tygabilly
10-17-2015, 07:24 AM
I used Paypal.

joshuakredford
11-05-2015, 12:46 AM
yes paypal is better.

IndioBailBonds
11-05-2015, 09:21 AM
I think square is much much better then other ones.Although all are secure but square is something which I prefer.

Malik Suleman
11-27-2015, 02:27 PM
If you already have worked with Paypal a lot, stick with them if they're the most profitable for your business.
I wouldn't go for GoPayment, they're really not that well known.

If the total cost of Square is better than Paypal, take that one.

I would advise on getting a Paypal Merchant account because if you don't, there is a big chance they will block your account and all the money in it if you start to process too much money.

paypall is opening a new merchant?

david1002
12-30-2015, 09:47 AM
I would not do the change unless Paypal causes a lot of problems, which then you should look into other payment method.

KentR
01-04-2016, 03:32 AM
I have heard too many people distrusting PayPal when it comes to collecting money, that I woouldn't recommend it. I use it for paying, but never for collecting, just because of what I've heard. On the other hand I have used Braintree for collecting, which is a division of PayPal and works wondefully.