PDA

View Full Version : Should you ask for a raise or a promotion?

Auror
01-19-2014, 07:05 PM
In our organization, I haven't heard of anybody asking for a raise or a promotion. In the prior years, there has always been an automatic 10% increase in the basic salary every year. But this year was different. The admin did not give any increase. Also, I know of a lot of people who have not been promoted for more than 5 years! Should these people try to ask for a promotion or should they just seek greener pastures outside of the company? What are your suggestions?

delusional
01-20-2014, 01:59 AM
In our organization, I haven't heard of anybody asking for a raise or a promotion. In the prior years, there has always been an automatic 10% increase in the basic salary every year. But this year was different. The admin did not give any increase. Also, I know of a lot of people who have not been promoted for more than 5 years! Should these people try to ask for a promotion or should they just seek greener pastures outside of the company? What are your suggestions?

It depends on the company. Do you see any positions available for people to promote to? If not, don't ask. If you do, go ahead and try.
A good company values the employees that have been working there for a longer time (they already know how everything works) so they'll not want to see them go.

It's possible that the previous year wasn't profitable for the company and that it didn't give a raise because of that reason. If all the employees in the company normally get 10% extra, than I don't think they are going to offer it to only one person who asks for it.

crimsonghost747
01-20-2014, 04:52 AM
The promotion is very much based on what the company needs. You can't just go asking for a promotion because you feel like it, but if you know that there is an open position at a higher level in your company it doesn't hurt to tell your boss that you're interested in it. Then it's up to them to decide if you are what they are looking for.

If I understood correctly most workers in the company have the same wage, in this case it's highly unlike that you'd get a raise if the others don't.

googoos0ng
01-20-2014, 07:16 AM
There's no wrong with asking for a promotion, but promotions are usually announced earlier for a certain good job. In this sense, if they promised you a promotion for a certain job and you reached the purpose, you have all the right to ask for it. A part from these cases, a yearly salary advantage is not really a duty for the company and the company is not required to give it to you. If this was your case, i would just ask for it informally, as they have always gived it to you in the past years. At the same time, consider that general advantages grow with a company growth, and in this world crise economic period i am not surprised if a company can't afford a salary growing cost.

fredkawig
01-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Depending on your financial status and job opportunities elsewhere, you should definitely consider asking for a raise or looking for a better job suited for you. If you are a well accomplished person with tons of credentials and the company you are currently involved in doesn't really recognize your potential or is holding you back, I suggest that you find other suitable jobs for you. But if the company you are with pays great at your current bracket even without a raise and the work environment is good, you should stick to what you have if you have no other complaints rather than a promotion or an increase in wages.

LindaKay
01-20-2014, 05:11 PM
If there are higher-up jobs available in your office/place of employment, there is nothing wrong with asking for a promotion. Make sure that you do your best and point out why you would be a good fit for the job.

Unfortunately, there is simply no room to grow in some businesses. If this is your situation, I would look for other jobs in a related field. By staying in one place, you could be limiting your opportunities.

hillaryNC
01-20-2014, 08:41 PM
It really depends on the company and who is in charge. I worked at Mary Browns for two years, and a year and half later I received a dollar raise. The owner approached me and told me I would have received it earlier only she didn't realize that I had been there for a year already! Sometimes owners can be not willing to give a raise, but sometimes they can simply forget or not realize your current situation, especially if there are a lot of employees for them to keep track of! I guess only you can judge, I would judge it on your relationship, and the personality of the boss!

jfab
01-23-2014, 12:40 AM
I guess if you have really worked hard and you know you have earned it and you're worthy of a promotion, it's only fitting that you ask for a raise. It's a good way to motivate you as well. Usually, if you have stayed long enough in a company and they have seen you really work hard, you won't even need to ask for it. But if you think that you're not recognized for your work, then it's time to step up.

owesem75
01-23-2014, 01:08 AM
I would ask for a raise because you can get it without even promoted but rather a kind of appraisal for a job well done throughout the year (or your career). If you have not moved from one position to another, I don't think of any problem with that assuming you are performing your best in that position. Promotion has an associated pay raised when awarded to you.

crimsonghost747
01-23-2014, 03:33 AM
I see that some people have advised looking for a job elsewhere. While it's always good to know what your possibilities are, I'd be very cautious of quitting a job right now. The economy isn't exactly the best and you can expect some problems in the future so it's not like there are a million great jobs open.

Lodismel
01-23-2014, 09:08 AM
The way that I see it, if there isn't a good opportunity for upward momentum then there really isn't a good reason to work somewhere. Of course, that goes at the window if you are at the top of that business. There should always be an incentive to do a better job, that is what makes people work harder. That incentive could be getting paid more or getting a promotion. I think that if you feel you are doing a better job than the majority of people that are in the same position as you then you should ask for more. As long as you are consistently better. Since you had previously received a raise, I would recommend asking for a raise. If you want more responsibility along with a chance for higher pay then ask for a promotion.

swagger
01-26-2014, 02:07 PM
There's technically nothing wrong with asking for a promotion, and odds are it won't hurt you if you do. If the owner is already generous and promotes people often, then I wouldn't. But in your case, promotions are virtually non-existent, so asking for a promotion would be what I would do.

pandandesign
01-27-2014, 12:39 AM
It depends on what kind of work do you do because not many companies offer a raise or promotion, even you have been working for the companies for more than 100 years. Well, I would suggest that don't ask unless you are absolutely sure that you have the potentials to getting the raise or promotion. There are a lot of companies just keep you because you have worked for them for a long time, which I think some of the companies can't even afford to increase the raise or promotion due to several reasons. For me, I'm lucky to work for the company because this is the economy we're facing, which has declined over the last few years.

mikka254
01-28-2014, 06:09 AM
A promotion means your qualifications fit the bill of an upper level executive. You need to make sure your experience and qualifications match before ever considering to ask such a question to your boss because it could either lead to a consideration for the said position or mistrust and ridicule even if you eventually get the qualifications. A raise means you've brought a lot of money to the company and you need your cut or else you walk. If your input to the company is exactly zero or less than 5%, be very cautious how you phrase your query. Make sure there is a legitimate reason to be asking for a raise such as you've been working for the company a long time or your services are worth more than what your pay check reflects.

wander_n_wonder
01-28-2014, 02:57 PM
I always think raise or promotion is something that's given automatically when you perform really well. You don't have to ask for it. Instead of asking, you just need to work harder and continue being successful in your craft. Keep on helping the company meet their objectives and you'll definitely be rewarded for this.

I really don't believe in just asking for it. I would say before asking for it, you need to assess as well how well you are actually performing in the company.

cpefley
01-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Is there room for promotion in the company that you work for? Maybe there just isn't any open positions or they are choosing to fill positions externally (which I don't believe is fair to current employees). Maybe you could ask your boss if there is a reason why there wasn't an increase in salary or why promotions have been frozen.

jordan wilkins
01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
If you've been tenured with the other employees, then you should be the first to demand a raise. For all the work that you've put into the company the least they could do is give you an increase. It's messed up how they gave 10% each year except this one.

ap4aaron
01-28-2014, 09:55 PM
No, unless you already found a job. If you ask for a raise/promotion, it could harm chances. If you have another job lined up, you have nothing to lose!

SimplySidy
01-29-2014, 02:53 AM
I worked as Computer Trainer for 16 years and during those years, I turned down offers of promotion that were offered. Reason was that if I was promoted, I would not be training students. I have been passionate with my teaching and always have given it as a top priority. So, for me, I would opt in for Promotion only when I think I am doing justice with my Passion. That said, money is an important factor for all in today's world. So you have to strike a balance between your passion and the real life. If I was in the organization, that paid out a 10% annual increase every year, I would have been more than happy and yes, if this year, they did not hike the salary, I would still continue as I know the times have been tough - with recession, inflation and so many other things happening around. So it would be like, giving the firm one more year as a trial and with expectations that next year, the bonuses and salary hikes will take place. If that doesnt happen, I would have to find Greener Pastures as I have a family and life to support.

Taru
01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
I think 5 years would be ample time to be considered fair in asking for a raise or promotion, and I think that asking for a raise shows initiative and confidence which should be commended. As for the course of action, I think it just boils down to what the individual himself or herself expects out of the employment experience. If he or she values the job or the company more than his or her own salary and/or position, then it would make sense to stay even without the additional benefits. If, however, for the person it is just the same as any job, and there are opportunities available outside his or her current employment, then I say why not? As long as contracts are honored and fulfilled, then employees should be free to seek out other employment if they feel unsatisfied, but it will be up to them to figure it out and make that decision.

Musho
01-29-2014, 10:37 PM
You should always be trying to advance no matter what position you are in, unless you work for a huge corporation. Then, you'll just have to obey and do everything that you are told. I would ask for a raise when you feel you deserve it. The worst that could happen is that they say no, and you know where you stand in the company.

LindaKay
01-30-2014, 11:35 AM
I definitely think it's important to always try to advance yourself. If you can't find the opportunities that you want in the company that you work for, you should ask for them. If you still can't get them, then it's a good idea to look into other positions that might actually offer what you're looking for.

DomDom
01-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Yeah as everybody said advance yourself! Be good at you do, constantly try hard try hard try hard! I would only ask for a raise if one is overdue, I think its better sometimes to let the boss figure it out (not for too long though)

tspires2
01-30-2014, 07:37 PM
With the economy in the state it is in, I would take a hard look at the company and just try to determine if a raise would be obtainable legitimately. If so there is no reason not to ask for you as long as you as an employee deserve one. As for the promotion, if there is a position available of course if you would be a good prospect there is no reason not to apply. These are mostly questions you will have to determine on your own but I hope it gives you some pointers! Good Luck!

Bizwiz1011
01-31-2014, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't advise looking for a job elsewhere before even asking for a raise. I understand that some people are afraid to be fired if they do so, but if they approach it in the right manner it shouldn't be a problem.

smartmom
02-01-2014, 06:40 PM
I think that it is a great idea to ask for a promotion as long as a person knows that they have done an efficient job over a long period of time. If a person has not been on a job very long and does an average job then I do not feel that it would be necessary to ask for a promotion. The person that goes far and above the call of their job and has been doing this for a while then they very well deserve a promotion because sometimes people do more work than they are paid for. A person should ask for a raise if they have been on a job for a long time, is doing a very good job and has not gotten a raise.

Rainman
02-02-2014, 11:33 PM
If circumstances demand that I should be paid more [inflation for example could be a great reason for demanding for a raise] then I'd ask my employer for the raise and hint at getting promoted if I have worked long for the company or my [new] level of education demands so.

But of course it depends on the company you work for. If it's the sort where they have rigid policies that cover the protocol which needs to be followed to get a raise or a promotion then asking for a raise wouldn't get that raise.

p.s If it's not just about the money, I'd rather ask for a few more vacation weeks.

mikelouis
02-09-2014, 06:34 PM
It depends with the available positions in a company. If there are no available positions, you cannot expect them to just fire the guy above you and replace him or her with you. Well 5 years is a long time to work in the same position but if a chance comes along with better pay and opportunities, do not past it away you can always give it a try. You do not have to be in one cmpany the rest of your life.

Edwardjames81
02-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Employers will pay their employees the least amount of money they can get away with, and that is true of all employers. After all, the more your employer pays the staff the less profit the employer will make, which obviously affects them financially.

If you think you are worth more than what your employer is paying you then it is up to you to go n and ask for a raise, however you do need to be careful and do it in a diplomatic way. Barging in to your employer’s office demanding a pay increase is not going to work, so don’t go and do this.

If you want a pay increase it is up to you to show your employer why you are worth more than you are being paid. If there are performance statistics you can get access to in the business then get them and use them as evidence for a raise. Show your employer you helped generate X amount of income. Show your employer you attracted X new customers over the last few months. Show your employer you saved the business X amount on a cost savings drive.

Another thing you can do is look at the roles in the job market that are similar to yours and see what salary is on offer. If it is more than what you are earning you may decide to show your employer in order to back up your case for a pay increase. This may be risky as your employee could simply say “If you think you’re worth that much go out and get it” and call your bluff.

When asking for a pay increase never hold your employer to ransom and threaten to leave as this will not only cause ill feeling but your employer may show you the door and say “go get that salary”. If you are prepared to leave the business in order to get more money, go for it but if you are not I would not recommend such a threat.
Asking for a pay increase is not easy but it is something you should do if you want a pay increase. Just make sure you have some evidence to show your employer why you are worth more than you are currently on.

SmartPea85
02-18-2014, 12:48 PM
It depends if there are any positions open to get promoted to. If you work for a smaller business, this might not be possible. Some companies are also on a hiring freeze right now because of recession/finances, so they aren't looking to make any changes with people's positions or salary at the moment. This would be something you'd have to look more into. It also depends on what you want personally. Are you looking to have more challenge and responsibility in a higher position (and possibly more hours)? Do you want to "climb the corporate ladder" or do you just want more money for the job you currently do? Both options can be rewarding and worth asking for, but you should really decide what YOU want before you go looking.

ursell
03-27-2014, 05:10 PM
I agree with was said above that I would only ask if there are positions available. Then yes I would ask for a promotion.
The reason I would ask for a promotion is because the promotion you might get more money than a raise.

Jane Hastings
03-29-2014, 03:47 AM
I would ask for a raise if I I know I deserve it and I would also ask for a promotion if there are positions available and I know I deserve the position. But I believe that if the company believes you deserve something then you would get it without asking for it. Companies should see how hard your work and how much you value your work. Be visible and let the company know you exist and you deserve a raise or a promotion.

alec
03-31-2014, 05:34 PM
A promotion is what I'd ask for. Besides money I always want to accumulate as much experience as possible before I leave my current job. By accumulating experience you'll get access to better paying jobs down the road. Sure, having money is great right now, but a raise is temporary, you'll soon spend the extra money and you'll be stuck. In my opinion, it's better to always grow and get better at what you do since experienced employees always earn more.

sweetkymom
03-31-2014, 08:13 PM
I don't think anyone asks for a raise where I work. The first six months of your employment you get a raise. Every year after that you get another raise. I would love to ask for a better raise than what we actually get but hey, something is better than nothing, right?

Resource9
05-16-2014, 07:13 AM
That's right. But a promotion or a raise should be achieved. You should get it only when you deserve it. If you are doing good work, then the company is surely going to reward it.

Michael Thompson
06-16-2014, 06:05 AM
I think you should take some people and make a group then talk to your management about this issue that some people need these things. If you will alone talk may be management will not respond. Good luck

someshets
07-03-2014, 07:24 AM
yes you can. nothing wrong in this

someshets
07-05-2014, 07:16 AM
i will go for the promotion

someshets
07-22-2014, 06:59 AM
raise and promotion both is equally important for a employe.

MahaKarthi
10-03-2014, 01:38 AM
"Promotion is what everyone would seek, it is very much understandable that if you are getting promoted a hike seems a natural expectation.
But there are few companies that who revise the salary and doesn’t promote you for the next position. This is because of two reasons, first one might be no positions to promote and second thing is internal job politics they want someone very close to be placed in that position. Before seeking something, check for all these, and if you feel fine with asking for a promotion or a raise, please make sure you have an alternative job if they say no.
Info- “There are no elevators to success. You have to take the STAIRS!”

Resource9
10-07-2014, 08:42 AM
If you deserve it and you are not getting, then ask for it in a professional and decent way.

MahaKarthi
01-05-2015, 01:23 AM
Before asking for promotion, one should ensure that he/she who asks for a promotion is eligible for the particular post and will be able to overcome to challenges.
Likewise, one can ask for a hike, if he/she is the main cause for success of any project or the implement of any new ideas in the company’s development and because of which the company has greater improvement.

tim88
01-12-2015, 07:14 AM
I'm sure they have to try an outside concern rather than continuing here. Because employees do all their hard works, shedding their blood ,spending lot of time just to improve the revenue for the company. But company if not interested in paying back to them then what's the use of doing all those stuffs. It clearly shows that the organization is not giving value to the employees. So, it's better no..It's best to try for an other concern seeking hike.