PDA

View Full Version : Web traffic fluctuation during different days of the week

Vash
01-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Since I launched my own web site almost two years ago, I have been paying close attention to my web site traffic statistics through both Google Analytics and AWstats.

It seems that every Friday I get a drop in web traffic in term of unique visitors by as much as 20%. On Saturday, the web traffic is the same as any week day. On Sunday, there is often a spike in unique visitors by as high as 15~20%.

Does it mean most people are out dinning, drinking, partying etc. on Friday night? :D (When I was in the college, more often the Saturday was the party night lol). What makes more people browsing the internet on Sunday than any other day?

If you are running an online business, how would make use of such data?

theshaynee
01-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Wow. I never would have guessed that. I would think that especially on Saturdays there would be a drop in traffic.
This is extremely useful though. Now you can see your high traffic days and make most of your content posts then.
Whenever it peaks you can be sure to share whatever you want to have the most visibility.
Sunday is a lazy day for everybody. Plus it's the end of their week normally. So they are likely checking up on email, Facebook, etc.
This was really insightful. Thanks for this.

oxpaulo
01-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Yeah I've seen that on a blog before. People get off of work on Friday and go out and have a good time and then relax on Saturday on Sunday. That's really just an uninformed guess though, lol.

LindaKay
01-23-2014, 12:39 AM
It makes a lot of sense to me. Many people go out with their families or buddies on Friday nights and Saturdays. Sundays are the days when many people are just lounging around and relaxing. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty much always online when I'm at home relaxing. :)

nick87
01-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Since I launched my own web site almost two years ago, I have been paying close attention to my web site traffic statistics through both Google Analytics and AWstats.

It seems that every Friday I get a drop in web traffic in term of unique visitors by as much as 20%. On Saturday, the web traffic is the same as any week day. On Sunday, there is often a spike in unique visitors by as high as 15~20%.

Does it mean most people are out dinning, drinking, partying etc. on Friday night? :D (When I was in the college, more often the Saturday was the party night lol). What makes more people browsing the internet on Sunday than any other day?

It depends on who you're promoting to, really. If you're promoting to the professional young adult audience, those sound like normal trends. Working on weeknights, going out on Friday, and on Sunday trying to get everything done they procrastinated about doing over the weekend.
When you're advertising to kids (for things such as a video game) you're likely to get more traffic over the weekends...while with teenagers and college age, you'll tend to get more traffic on the weekdays.

jfab
01-25-2014, 06:09 AM
This is actually some good observation regarding the matter. I guess when you know that it already fluctuates on some days of the week, make those days a focus on traffic more then. Like probably provide more content for the site or make use more of the social network to add traffic to it.

delusional
01-26-2014, 08:54 AM
What kind of website is this? I think it's already great you still have a steady flow of visitors on Saturday and Sunday. A lot of websites see a big drop either in the weekend or during weekdays but if you still have both, that is great.

Yamabushi
01-26-2014, 03:18 PM

What kind of website is this? I think it's already great you still have a steady flow of visitors on Saturday and Sunday. A lot of websites see a big drop either in the weekend or during weekdays but if you still have both, that is great.
Knowing the kind of site is very important if you want us to be able to give helpful feedback :).

eppie
01-27-2014, 05:10 AM

I'm not an expert on internet marketing or traffic analysis but when I noticed that I get more visitors during Tuesday and Wednesdays, I changed my posting schedule from Saturdays to Mondays and likewise, I make it a point to monitor my sites (Forum/FB page) during Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

My site's traffic (as well as inquiries) did increase though I'm not 100% sure if the changes I made contributed to said increase. :confused: By the way, my site is about online jobs and internet income source. :D

Rainman
02-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Your target audience? If your web-site targets people from a specific Geographical location I guess such info can be quite helpful. But even if you don't and the same trend appears in the browsing habits of visitors from other places then you could post your 'best' articles within that 2-3 day period of time [depending on the time zones of the surfers] so your 'guests' can share the stuff they like with friends who might also be online at the same time [and may actually visit your site if they like what they see].

Taru
02-04-2014, 03:05 PM
I run a blog as a hobby/side income earner and I have in fact noticed that my traffic spikes during Sunday, especially when it's Sunday in the U.S. as I get a good amount of my traffic from there. I've never really paid that much attention to the rest of the week's traffic though since they pretty much even out. As for taking advantage of such information, I guess I'd just use it to publish my articles on or before Sunday or even hold live events or contests if it's possible.

highzeroflife
02-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Most times its best to use if you are selling ad space on your site. If you are selling the space and a company comes to you and needs an increase of traffic for the weekend you will know if that is possible. In your case you know that friday you can't do that for them.

Also if you want to run a promotion you know that you should probably publish a promotion on sunday night.

There are many ways that all this info can be useful.

gadgetised
02-18-2014, 12:40 AM
I get the most traffic mid week and on weekends. It drops Mondays and Thursdays usually. I am not sure why this is the case.

jubvman
02-18-2014, 01:10 AM
My site is still fairly new so I can't really see any trends just yet. But you data you have can be useful in many ways. You know Friday night is the quietest time, so that will be the best time to do maintenance on your site. Similarly, if Sunday night is the busiest, that could be the best time to run promotions etc.

JohnSword
02-18-2014, 02:17 AM
I think it actually depends on how wide-reaching your audience is. If your site carters to an international audience, then I don't think you'll probably see such trends, since people live in different time zones. In my case, my traffic is relatively constant throughout the week, but spikes when I post new content.

pahagwl
03-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Its natural that traffic on the internet increases during weekends and holidays. This is due to the reason that people have more favorite time during holidays and they generally like to browse internet in their free time. So its all but natural that the traffic spikes up on blogs etc.

foduu1
03-06-2014, 12:46 AM
The item creates a lot of perception to me. Many people go out with their loved ones or maybe good friends with Fri nights along with Saturdays. Sundays include the days and nights when many individuals are only relaxing close to along with enjoyable. When i don't know regarding you, although I'm basically usually on the net when I'm in the home enjoyable.

mikelouis
03-06-2014, 01:32 AM
That is how Friday works. People are always out having fun so do not expect them to come to your site. On weekends there might be a good number as people will be relaxing at home after a long week at work.

brijb
03-07-2014, 12:51 AM
I have a more interesting case than Vash. I have one client website selling footwear is getting almost double traffic then an average week days. And the pattern follows since long.

pahagwl
03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
That is how Friday works. People are always out having fun so do not expect them to come to your site. On weekends there might be a good number as people will be relaxing at home after a long week at work.

Yeah, I agree that the amount of traffic on friday is not too high and that is due to the fact that people generally tend to go outside to have fun after the end of a work week. And the traffic spikes up on Saturdays and Sundays because people generally have holidays on these days and like to spend their time by browsing the internet.

eagle22
03-23-2014, 10:12 PM
I actually seem to get the most traffic on my sites on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The weekends are terrible for me. I would assume the amount of traffic you get on the weekends really depends on what your site is about.

foduu1
03-27-2014, 12:58 AM
This is certainly some really good observation concerning the matter. I guess when you're conscious who's already fluctuates on at times of every week, make days gone by an importance on traffic more then. Like probably provide more content for that site or make use a lot of social networking to add visitors to it.

fivebbc-social-media
04-15-2019, 11:25 AM
On sunday people rest from work and from friday holiday, your right :D

jhondavid
01-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Keyword fluctuations are a normal part of SEO, but if your business keywords are moving around pages at a ... Anyone experienced in monitoring SEO efforts knows that keyword rankings can spaz out and go crazy for days or weeks at a time.

cliftonmor
08-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Wow. I never would have guessed that. I would think that especially on Saturdays there would be a drop in traffic.
This is extremely useful though. Now you can see your high traffic days and make most of your content posts then.
Whenever it peaks you can be sure to share whatever you want to have the most visibility.
Sunday is a lazy day for everybody. Plus it's the end of their week normally. So they are likely checking up on email, Facebook, etc.
This was really insightful. Thanks for this.

jayam12
10-16-2020, 11:47 PM
It's going to be different for each industry, product, and website; there is no general ... times of the week bring traffic from each type of visitor arriving at your site. ... But there are also less stories we post on weekend days. ... How to Understand Your Website Traffic Variation with Time: Understanding the Weekly Traffic Cycle.

mithu
10-16-2020, 11:54 PM
You will want to review your site's backlinks, Google Webmaster Tools ... that keyword rankings can spaz out and go crazy for days or weeks at a time. ... It may seem like a good thing to go from rank 23 to rank 5 in a day, but ... of fluctuations to the keyword rankings of various sites, some more than others.

MASTERO
11-09-2020, 11:54 PM
It's going to be different for each industry, product, and website; there is no general traffic pattern that applies to all sites on the web, so check your analytics and segment your traffic, to see what times of the week bring traffic from each type of visitor arriving at your site.

It has a lot to do with the consumer mindset. Websites with small or everyday purchases typically see less traffic on weekends, while items that are high-cost, medically relevant, or risky in nature will generally see the most traffic on weekends.

Having worked with many websites in the medical industry, my clients' website traffic would go sky high on weekends, because choosing a doctor/treatment takes more decision making and forethought than a simple iPod purchase. On the other hand, most retailer websites I've worked with (that sell affordable products) see their best traffic during the week.

Bigil
11-11-2020, 03:43 AM

jayam12
11-13-2020, 09:11 AM
It's going to be different for each industry, product, and website; there is no ... to see what times of the week bring traffic from each type of visitor arriving at your site. ... How long does it take to reach 100 unique traffic hits per day on a blog site? ... How to Understand Your Website Traffic Variation with Time: Understanding the ..

mithu
11-13-2020, 09:15 AM
In this Whiteboard Friday, Rand discusses why ranking fluctuations ... Many folks ask questions on the Moz Q&A platform and all over the web and to their SEO ... not days, and measure at least four to six weeks of rankings before ... And we'll see you again next week for another edition of Whiteboard Friday.

AfreenKhan1
11-13-2020, 11:06 PM
We offer full-time customer support to our valuable clients. We help them choose the simplest as per their demand with minimum price and maximum input. You’ll contact our support team 24/7. If you dislike our services feedback is going to be highly acknowledged.

MASTERO
11-18-2020, 12:15 AM
It's going to be different for each industry, product, and website; there is no general ... times of the week bring traffic from each type of visitor arriving at your site. ... But there are also less stories we post on weekend days. ... How to Understand Your Website Traffic Variation with Time: Understanding the Weekly Traffic Cycle.