PDA

View Full Version : In need of my first employees

tzframpton
03-18-2016, 10:47 PM
Hello all, I am a one-man show but I've now become so unbelievably busy the past several months that I'm in desperate need of at least one employee, maybe two. Right now I use two sub-contractors very consistently, but not having them as an employee puts me in binds a lot since they have other obligations and their own clients other than me. Before I hire anybody I need to get a lease space, which is about to happen in the next 1-2 or 2-3 months so I can transition out of my home office.

Some things below are the "new territory" items that I'm seeking any/all advice for.

1. Money. I do not have hundreds of thousands of dollars stashed away so how do I approach the approximate "safe amount" to have to float salary? I am about to pay off the remaining personal debts I have, which only leaves my mortgage.
2. Liability vs asset. I want to hire a couple of young guys who want to enter into the industry, however I own a CAD design company and not only does it require skill, it requires lots of confidence, since we support contractors and engineers. What we "design" is what is to "be built" so one small mistake can be very costly. Hiring an asset would cost me $40-50k/yr + benefits, something I simply cannot offer at the moment.
3. Lease space + equipment. If I hire one helping hand, there will be times I have to run to a meeting, etc. I would be leaving him all by his lonesome. This makes me uncomfortable and wouldn't be right for the employee. Any advice on how to handle a very small office?

Quick background: I am 33 years old and I owned my company as a DBA for five years as a side business. I went completely on my own 8 months ago and am fully incorporated as an S-Corp. My wife is Native American so she's the "owner" (minority registered) and I'm the "first employee". Total revenue to date is about $110k. Expensive computers + VERY expensive software + online cloud-based services are my biggest direct expense. Hiring sub-contractors is a must at this point, but they almost can't keep up anymore. I have become very popular among my clients and their demands have grown tremendously in our local area, Dallas Texas. The problem with sub-contracting is that most charge a lot, but don't do great work, and their schedule is change at any moment, which can put me in a real bind for deadlines. I have been working every day for five months straight and I still can't keep up, with two sub-contractors working almost full time for me.

Would love any advice. I haven't read through any threads yet so this may have been asked several times. If so, shoot me a link, or let me know there are plenty of topics available and I'll start digging through when I have time. Thanks in advance!

-Tannar

speeduser
02-22-2019, 09:41 AM
There will be a deluge of applicant if you go online. This hiring will be viral. - Doug Battista (https://vimeo.com/dougbattista)

aileensoul
02-27-2019, 01:21 AM
You can post your requirement on online job portals. There are many graduate registered and looking for new opportunity.

Few job portal that can help are:

1. Indeed
2. Naukri
3. Aileensoul Jobs (https://www.aileensoul.com/job-search)
4. LinkedIn
5. CareerBuilder

Hope this may help.