PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Create a Program That Allows Freelance Writers to Write Articles & Blogs.

smartmom
01-21-2014, 10:31 AM
I want to start a business where freelance writers can actually write content for people. Business owners can purchase blog post, reviews, and articles from this website but I do not know where to get started. People that have blogs to maintain but do not have the time to write frequently can just hire a freelance writer from my site. I am wondering if I should hire a computer programmer. Where should I start?

Yamabushi
01-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Well this is a touch niche now because of Elance (which is combined with oDesk now) has such a monopoly on the freelance industry. There are also other small sites that specifically focus on writing. But if you are really passionate about the subject, I think you could make it work. Where do you start? Well, draw up a business outline and think about how you will achieve revenue. In particular think about what will differentiate you from the rest. That is what will make you succeed.

As for web development, I'd plan on spending close to 3k on that alone if you really want the job to be professionally done. You can find tons of people on the web offering web design for a few hundred bucks, but trust me, you get what you pay for.

cpefley
01-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Are you thinking something along the lines of Helium.com ? I think that a computer programmer and a web designer would definitely be a great start. As a person that writes for various sites, there is a lot of competition, and many sites are beginning to pay their writers more for their time. I write on a site called Bubblews.com and their bloggers get a 50/50 ad revenue share. That is pretty substantial compared to other websites (like Helium). It sounds like a great idea that you have, because some websites fall short of their promises when it comes to delivering quality material too. Good luck!

crimsonghost747
01-22-2014, 05:26 AM
The only way that I can see you succeeding is to have QUALITY writers. Not those indian "I can has speak english many year. Write very good for $1 articel!" writers which most freelance websites are full of. A good website design is a must and then you will need quite a lot of good content ready to be sold. This is the only way to attract customers.

A web designer can get the website done, for a price of course. You should concentrate on finding those quality writers for yourself. Key word here is QUALITY, you can never compete with odesk etc. when it comes to price.

fredkawig
01-22-2014, 06:22 AM
You should first plan all the things that you are going to execute. Think of how much cost and capital you would put to make a website, hire a technician or a computer programmer, business fees, employees maybe? After you have settled everything you want to do, you should make sure everything is working especially your website and be able to promote it well in order for freelancers and writers to know that you are hiring. The next thing to do is to advertise, market your business and make sure people will know how your business works. Design your website, make sure all the information relevant to your business are stated there, FAQ's and other things.

smartmom
01-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Wow, that's a lot of money!!! This is something that is new to me so I had no idea.

oxpaulo
01-23-2014, 12:20 PM
I've found that there are great articles writers on Fiverr and it's set up perfectly in my opinion. Use Fiverr as a starting point for your site and yes I'd imagine you would have to get a programmer for something like this.

Yamabushi
01-23-2014, 02:43 PM
You should first plan all the things that you are going to execute. Think of how much cost and capital you would put to make a website, hire a technician or a computer programmer, business fees, employees maybe?

I agree about the capital preparation. Make a spreadsheet and list all your sunk costs, then all your recurring costs. Estimate when your revenue will model is and how much you think you will make. To be safe, I'd say subtract at least 25% from your revenue projections to be sure you have a good buffer in your business model.

wahmbrenda
01-23-2014, 04:51 PM
I think that there's a lot of content writing sites out there already if that's what you mean. To get another business like that off of the ground isn't going to just take a lot of money, it's going to take a lot of time and expertise too. Have you thought about starting a small content writing company with just a few writers and marketing that? It'd probably take you a lot less time and money.

Grumpster
01-23-2014, 10:36 PM
As other posters have stated, it would be a large task to get a successful content-sharing platform out there on the market. There are many already established ones, and even those alone are struggling to make money and pay decent rates to their writers to keep them interested and writing. It's a hard niche to succeed in and making money is difficult, but if you're sure that you're upto the massive challenge, then there's nothing to stop you from trying!

crimsonghost747
01-24-2014, 03:19 AM
I think that there's a lot of content writing sites out there already if that's what you mean. To get another business like that off of the ground isn't going to just take a lot of money, it's going to take a lot of time and expertise too. Have you thought about starting a small content writing company with just a few writers and marketing that? It'd probably take you a lot less time and money.

There are a lot of content writing websites but most of them are either ones where you write for that specific company, or ones which are full of cheap asian writers. I honestly don't know of many QUALITY content writing websites... and I used to work in the business for a while.

Starting out small is a great idea though. I still think you could make the website and use it as a base, this way it would be easier to recruit writers from different areas and with different skill sets. Just decide that you want X amount of writers and then open the applications!

pandandesign
01-24-2014, 05:46 PM
You've gotten a very good idea right there. However, like the above post said, you really have to plan out for a lot of things such as profits and the costs of everything including hiring a programmers and maintaining the website. You are the middleman in this kind of business, which you're obligated to make sure both parties get along well and maintain a good communication between them. You're going to be the one whom they ask when something happens. Plus, all the expenses and things like that will also cost you more than you would expect because you become their liability. It isn't cheap to do this kind of business unless you start up a blog and get people to exchange the freelancing works from it.

LindaKay
01-28-2014, 11:21 AM
I think it's something that you could pull off. Content writing is a very popular thing nowadays. Tons of people have websites and need content but don't know how to write it. It would take a while to build up a good writer base and a good client base, but I definitely think it's possible.

I wouldn't agree that eLance has a monopoly on the market. I write on content sites like the OP is talking about for a living, and I never touch eLance. That site sucks.

To really do well in today's market, you will need to offer Native English writers who write high-quality content and have good grammar skills. There are too many crap writers out there who really aren't any good, and they flood sites like eLance every day.

wahmbrenda
01-30-2014, 01:14 PM
There are a lot of content sites to choose from. I think a lot of writers don't choose them because of the business model that the sites have been built on. I think that's why many people go out to find their own clients. To me, that's way too risky since you never know who isn't going to pay you. I like the content writing sites but don't understand why they don't have more work. Something is definitely missing there - Why aren't clients coming to these sites? I think that if you could figure that out, you could do even better than a lot of people who are working as content writers today.

ap4aaron
01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
This reminds me of some other sites I've seen. It's really hard to start up, but if you could get a large userbase, it might work. This has potential.

oregano
02-08-2014, 10:14 AM
If you spend time on targeted marketing to prospective content buyers (including a website that can be differently branded from your writers' site if you want) you might not need to spend a lot of money at all on your writers' site. In other words, you don't necessarily need to be a work exchange like oDesk et al - you can aim for a high-quality, discerning market, and only have top-notch writers. There would be more day to day work for you with marketing, taking client orders and checking writers' work before sending it to the clients, but your upfront costs would not be high. Also, you would hopefully become known as a go-to provider of well-researched and well-written content that commands a relatively high price, rather than just another hope-for-the-best content mill.

jubvman
02-08-2014, 12:25 PM
I think that's a great idea. You won't need a computer programmer or a website designer.

Your first step would be creating a website, you'll need a catchy domain name (.com is the best for ranking), hosting, and an SSL certificate since I'm assuming you'll be taking payments through the site.

Send me a PM on here if you need help with anything, or better yet contact me through my site as I get those emails sent straight to my phone.

Also, bloggers and website owners are ALWAYS looking for good writers. If you can write high quality articles you'll have no problem making money online.

Regards

wahmbrenda
02-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I honestly feel as though content sites are going by the wayside anymore. It seems like clients want direct interaction with their writers, not through a third person / middleman. I can understand why this is happening but wish it weren't true. As a writer you really have to be cautious since you never know when someone might not pay. It's a scary ride that content mills were very helpful with, which is why I wish they'd stick around... Just my perspective as someone who was a freelance writer online for 10 years.

Taru
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
In my opinion, it would be best to have something different to offer because as others have already stated, there are already a good number of these services around. Either way, you are probably going to need to build an automated structure, so yes, I would consider hiring a programmer and website designer if it were me. I think the best way to go about it is to see what the competition is doing wrong and then to offer an improved version of their service.

ap4aaron
02-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I've heard of a view like that. I honestly wouldn't hire a computer programmer. Learning HTML yourself isn't that hard, you could do it within a view days.

JohnSword
02-10-2014, 03:05 AM
You should definitely start by drawing up a business plan. Ideas are a dime a dozen, but it takes good planning and execution skills in order to turn that idea into a success.

Like others have mentioned, there are a ton of content-sharing platforms out there. What do you have to offer that sets your business apart from the competition? "I want to start a business where freelance writers can actually write content for people," is too general. It might be a good idea to target a niche market instead.

angelicagapit
02-19-2014, 11:36 PM
There are many writers online looking for work to do. I think you're program is a great idea, it gives people a chance to earn money and at the same time, do what they love to do, which is write!

First off, you should make your program easy to navigate. It should be arrange according to writing topics, such as "Business Articles", "Local Events", or whatever topics you wish to have writers write about.

Afterwards, I believe you should look for the clients, and then once you have them, find the writers.

aikon
09-27-2017, 08:27 AM
And how to assess the quality of a writer?