PDA

View Full Version : Size Of Staff?

dannyboy
01-22-2014, 10:09 PM
How many employees would you estimate having for your business? Do you have more employees than the normal small business or less? Do you find it easier to pay employees when they are less of them or would you rather have more employees to get more work done, even it means spending more money?

fredkawig
01-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Again, depending on your business, employees would range from 1 to a thousand. For Big Corporations which cater to thousands of people everyday, they also have to have about a thousand employees in order for them to cater to the customer's needs. For small Businesses and shops, they only need about 1 to a hundred employees as the work will be less. The size of the business usually determines whether you should have a small or a large staff.

pandandesign
01-24-2014, 01:26 PM
It depends what kind of works I need the employees, otherwise, having too many employees may not be beneficial for the company. My dad hires only 2 people in his business because it a small business, which he owns a restaurant. I think if the person can handle two people's works, then that is all he needs to hire just one person to get the work done. Having two people can sometimes cause work confusion because it is better for the person to know what works he/she does and that will leave him or her for the works.

delusional
01-25-2014, 02:24 AM
I have about 40 employees. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I think that's not a lot for a normal business. But then again, in the tech field, companies don't need that many employees to do a substantial amount of work. We're expanding pretty fast so ask me again in a year.

ZekeCabnCrk
01-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Totally depends on the business and the scale at which you wish to operate. The job I work out right now has about 40 employees, at peak. I have had other jobs where there were several hundred employees down to just 15 or so.

crimsonghost747
01-26-2014, 02:08 AM
The more employees you have, the more they will cost you. Not just in terms of money, but in time too since each and every one of them requires some managing. Now obviously you can outsource that part... but that's yet another expense. I believe that the fewer you have the better it is, but obviously at some point you're going to need help.

DomDom
01-26-2014, 05:21 AM
Always go for quality rather than quantity. You need to check what tasks you need done. I always say that 1 quality employee will always earn you more than 2 low quality ones. Quality people think with their heads, use less time for tasks and are better in new situations. Dont think about how many but how good. And always treat employees like this good, good wages respect etc because they are nto easily replaced!

donaldplozha
01-26-2014, 03:12 PM
I run a family business together with my dad and we currently have 5 employees. We have more employees than the general small business in Albania who usually have 2-3 of them. We would love to add at least another 2 employees so more work could be done faster, but right now we can't afford to do that so we will stick to what we have.

Yamabushi
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM
We have a large volunteer force of over 10, and about 2 or 3 paid staff.

hillaryNC
02-04-2014, 12:06 PM
It really depends on a lot of things. What your business does, how big it is, and how many people you need. There may be some tasks that only need one employee, but others that need 10. You really need to evaluate what your business does and then choose the amount of employees for each task, and hire the amount that best suits your business!

Lodismel
02-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Like people have said, it really depends on what your business is doing. It depends on how much money you have to spend on employees. It depends on a lot of things. The best rule for how many employees you should have is how few employees can you have and still be productive. Much like everything in a business you are trying to maximize profit and minimize cost. So it takes a lot of research.

xwolfiex13x
02-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I agree that it has to do with the size of the business and what work needs to be done. I think it would be more beneficial to have a smaller amount of employees. When there are too many it can become confusing. If it is a smaller business, I would recommend having less employees so it is more obvious of who is doing a good job and who is not. When there are many employees, it would be much harder to find out if someone is stealing from the business or slacking off on the job. However, having too few employees does not always ensure that the work is completed. It really all depends on the people you can find and how much they are willing to put in to the company. Best of luck!

alec
02-06-2014, 05:05 AM
The type of business you run determines the size of your stuff. Ideally you want enough employees to get the workload spread evenly between them - they shouldn't have to work too much or too little. If they work too much the quality drops and they may even quit your company, and if they work too little you're loosing money by not having more work done and by paying employees that sit and do nothing. In the end it boils down to good business management done either by you, the owner, or by externally hired experts.

cassylexandra
02-06-2014, 08:03 PM
If your business is little, then you shouldn't need much. Small businesses would probably be very close family and friends. For my business, I have three friends, and myself, and that's it. If you have less employees, it would be so much more easier to deal with finance and payment plans. I don't think my business is meant to be globalized, so my friends and I are enough, and we work pretty effectively.

Andy1982
02-07-2014, 05:36 AM
How many employees would you estimate having for your business? Do you have more employees than the normal small business or less? Do you find it easier to pay employees when they are less of them or would you rather have more employees to get more work done, even it means spending more money?

If I end up setting up at busy concert venues or events I would need to have 2 others besides me and maybe even another outside working the crowd to drum up custom. Normally I will be using only my wife for orders and money, and myself doing the prepping and cooking side of things. I like to work with family if I can, just because I don't like the thought of having to go through the red tape.

mikelouis
02-10-2014, 11:45 PM
It all depends on how much has to be delivered in a given period of time. If you are going to deliver a lot work in a short period of time, then you have no choice but increase the number of employees. But essentially a person needs to hire enough employees to keep the business running. Make sure you do not create redundant roles for several employees. This will be spending money on someone who is not working.

Taru
02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
I'd personally not mind whether I have few or a lot of employees, as long as the number is practical and efficient and I don't end up hiring more or less than I should as that would cost my business in many number of ways in the long run whether directly or indirectly. My only concern is that I am not hiring two people to do the job of one and end up paying more than what I should to get one job done, and vice versa. In general, however, I prefer to keep the company as small as I can, since it's a lot easier to manage.

DomDom
02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Well the best thing is - optimal. Just enough so your business can be done at a great pace and your customers satisfied AND not too big so the profits are not all being taken up by the salaries. Business type is also very important.

dannyboy
02-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Always go for quality rather than quantity. You need to check what tasks you need done. I always say that 1 quality employee will always earn you more than 2 low quality ones. Quality people think with their heads, use less time for tasks and are better in new situations. Dont think about how many but how good. And always treat employees like this good, good wages respect etc because they are nto easily replaced!

I totally agree with your statement about quality over quantity. I especially agree with treating employees well. Your employees need to be able to know that you are fair and will not take advantage of them. There should be no trust issues.

CSomm
02-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Generally the rule of thumb regarding staffing is to make sure you have the median amount necessary to handle the busy AND slow times. This maximizes the staff potential (they are cranking it when busy) and minimizes labor cost (there aren't too many idle hands when we are slow). If you can find that middle ground, STAY there---you don't get any better than that, and you've found your real true labor cost.

mikka254
02-18-2014, 04:28 PM

If the business requires more work to be done, then more employees is the answer. I have seen some businesses make mistakes such as estimate the work that will be instead of valuing the work that is. An example is getting a loan for buying raw materials instead of getting a loan for existing orders. Expenses should already be catered to before incurring them. I'm sure you now understand.

basmae
02-19-2014, 03:37 AM
I run a small office with only 5 staff members. I hope to expand one day as my business growth but I am also weary that the larger the number of staff, the more problems there are.

Radium
02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Depends entirely on how many people I need in order to get the work done efficiently and profitably, no more no less. Obviously that is an overly simplistic view as you would need to consider each employees productivity, vacation, sick leave, etc but generally I try to keep employee numbers lower by paying them a little more and having them do more work compared to some competitors. I find doing it this way is not only more efficient but it saves you more money compared with hiring more with lower pay and productivity.

sofieb529
02-22-2014, 09:02 AM
For my food truck business, as its seasonal I will hire students just for the events I am attending. So the most will be 2 at any time. I find that thats more than enough to manage food and money in a small space. For the flea market stalls I run I keep 2 people there who have been great and are able to manage even on the busiest of times.

The number of employees you have will fluctuate with your business, thats a given.

autograph
02-22-2014, 10:35 AM
The size of staff really depends on the type of business you are running and how big your business is. The bigger the business will usually require more employees to handle the tasks. You have to ensure that you are paying them fairly for the job they are doing though. Nobody should be doing redundant tasks that do not really contribute anything to the growth of the company. It is a bad thing from a financial point of view.

Mojibobo
02-22-2014, 11:39 AM
It really depends, here is an example of what I do. It's not a "business" but it's running a server but it's the same concept.

I usually do 1:10, which is 1 member of Staff/Employee for every 10 players.

But I usually start with around 4-10 Employees/Staff to get everything started.

crucider
02-22-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't think size of staff really matters, it depends on the quality of each person really. It's better to have 10 hard workers that know what they are doing than 20 workers just slacking at that point you're just wasting money on someone to sit around.

Ryand88
02-22-2014, 01:50 PM
1 good employee is better than 3 rubbish ones ; obviously all this depends on what your business does and if you need extra people to do certain jobs then go for it but there is no point in getting more employees than you need, if you run a store with 20 customers coming in a day (Not being realistic) then you don't need 5 members of staff, 2 or 3 would do to make sure everything runs smoothly.

M.K
02-22-2014, 04:02 PM
A large staff means individual productivity will decrease. Tasks need to be delegated such that each employee keeps busy for the entirety of his work hours. I assign multiple tasks to all of my employees; I believe versatility is of the utmost importance.

mameeker@cuse
02-22-2014, 04:23 PM
It depends, in service businesses the term less is more is not always true. You can always use your grunts. In highly skilled businesses though I would stick with less is more.

Jane Hastings
03-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Everything depends what type of business you have and how big your target market is. But you should always remember that quality is always better than quantity. If your business is just starting and you want to minimize costs then you should choose the people who have the best qualities that fit perfectly for the required job. It's not the quantity that is important but the quality that you deliver to your customers. Hire the right people.

Davidrguernsey
10-06-2015, 04:26 AM
Its depend on your business.

Christine Andola
04-18-2016, 11:14 AM
Determining staff size is based on a number of factors including revenue and profit margins. You also need to figure out what type of employees your business requires. Obviously, unskilled labor is less expensive than skilled or professional.

The structure of your production process can determine whether you can operate with minimum wage employees or not. It is important to organize your procedures before trying to figure out how many and what type of employees you need.

donswift90
04-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Number of staff depends upon the size of company, work, task, quality....and many more./