PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a mobile business

synergism
01-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Hello,

I would like to start my own photography business which will basically be mobile catering to parties/events/etc. I will be living in VA, but will travel up to 50-100mi radius basically covering multiple cities/states.

Will I have to acquire a business licence for each and every individual city or is there something different for mobile businesses?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

GordonTheComputerGuy
01-25-2014, 07:52 AM
I would start by treating the business as a local service and go from there.
If you were going to be selling products then you would at some point be required to collect sales taxes.
Since the impact of online sales has bypassed a lot of local taxes cities are now starting to enforce collection of taxes from businesses that are outside of their towns.
They call this some type of "financial presence" or similar however you are going to be providing a service so that will not apply to you.

Be sure to setup a good website to show off your work, photography lends itself perfectly to web promotion. Think about specializing too.
Some people that do weddings never do pets, make the name of your business include the type of photography you specialize in so customers can quickly identify you like "Best Event Photography" or something along those lines.

tspires2
02-01-2014, 11:28 AM
I agree I would start local. The licenses you will need to check with the cities you will be in to be certain but I am pretty sure they will require a license. Once you find the areas you will be using this should simplify things for you as you can get the licenses for those areas and just let those be your choices on areas for your photography!

wander_n_wonder
03-13-2014, 11:45 PM
At the beginning, you need to reduce your scope first so that it won't be too overwhelming. The idea of expanding into other cities is good but you may have bottlenecks which will hamper your business from growing. You would not really want to put those bottlenecks right at the beginning of your operations. So yeah, start locally first, and once you have tried and tested your methodologies and you get a better handle of the business, expand to another city. There will be different requirements per city for sure, so you may want to systematize the process of checking and applying for these kinds of things. Do it one by one as you learn about the rules. Doing it all at the same time will just completely mess up your operations.

mikelouis
03-14-2014, 01:29 AM
At the beginning, you need to reduce your scope first so that it won't be too overwhelming. The idea of expanding into other cities is good but you may have bottlenecks which will hamper your business from growing. You would not really want to put those bottlenecks right at the beginning of your operations. So yeah, start locally first, and once you have tried and tested your methodologies and you get a better handle of the business, expand to another city. There will be different requirements per city for sure, so you may want to systematize the process of checking and applying for these kinds of things. Do it one by one as you learn about the rules. Doing it all at the same time will just completely mess up your operations.

I must agree with you, reducing the scope of the business will make it easy for you not to have to much expectations. Start small and grow when the business allows you to.

stockbrokers
09-17-2014, 12:15 PM
agree with all the above,my friend is in photography business, she started everything in one particular city and go to other cities ocassionally when needed

Don1971
02-03-2016, 02:11 PM
One thing you've got to consider is getting an 800 number so people aren't put off by calling your local line or thinking you won't travel 100 miles to them because they can tell where you're located. There's several toll free number sites out there but I would recommend checking out a review site to see which company can offer you the best service at the best price.

iwiz
09-16-2017, 05:36 AM
I would like to start to own mobile app business.But I didn't know about mobile business opportunities.Which one is best business opportunities in following, Such as mobile app or mobile web design, mobile Marketing?

Rakhi Bhatt
08-27-2019, 05:01 AM
StartUp business on mobile is nowadays very popular. You can choose your niche and develop the app according to requirement. There are so many options available like Restaurant app, Travel app, eCommerce app, Sports app, etc.

Lilykevin95
07-24-2020, 11:49 PM
Five cell phone business thoughts that don't include selling telephones and have low boundaries to passage, making the potential for brisk benefit. Private company Starting a Business Startup organizations identified with cell phones, and the different innovations utilized on these Close-up of hand looking down on cell phone.

lishmaliny
03-31-2021, 05:37 AM
In addition to state or federal licenses where applicable, almost all businesses will need a license from the local government (city or county) to lawfully operate within their jurisdictions.