PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating you family in your business

cpefley
01-28-2014, 03:00 AM
I was wondering how many of you have your children and/or significant other help with your home based business. This had just occurred to me today. I am usually fighting for free time, and spending long nights working while they are asleep, but if I gave them small tasks, it would help me tremendously. I think that you are allowed to even employee your own children as young as 7 to work for you (although most tasks could be considered chores, I think). I have 4 in that age bracket. I wonder if the teens are watching my toddler, if that is considered day care? Doubt it, but you never know!:D

Taru
01-29-2014, 09:17 AM
My brother and I are running a business from home as well, and he has kids running around the house almost all day which does make it quite challenging. Fortunately, there are some hired helpers to aid in the task of taking care of the children and other household chores, but there are times wherein I'm the only one available to babysit and I do so willingly because I'm old enough to actually appreciate playing with the kids and I do. I imagine, however, that the task would seem a bit more of a chore if I were in my teens or early twenties, since I'd probably want to be spending my time on more recreational things instead of responsibilities.

I think including family in your business is definitely not a bad thing, but it should be handled delicately and it might be best to have a back up plan so as not to take plan A so seriously. More importantly, I think every family will gel together very differently, so it's important to test the waters bit by bit until you arrive at a formula that works best for your type of family. In my opinion, that works best as opposed to suddenly changing the dynamics and expecting everything to transition immediately and smoothly.

sylviakanash
01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
i would say that it depends on how you involve your family members in your home based business. They can be of very great importance if it is possible for them to help with the work that you are doing. They can help you meet your deadlines. I am saying this out of experience because some times back my elder son used to help me with the data entry jobs.At times he would prepare meals for me which I considered very helpful.

swagger
01-29-2014, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't consider hiring them, as it would give them an unfair advantage, and I personally find that it'd be awkward in a way, so I try and stay away from situations like that.

Nickace9
01-30-2014, 01:03 AM
I think that family and friends are a great first wave of employees. People that are truly there to help you get started, and a little more willing to deal with any "extra" work. Employees can be stubborn, "I'm clocking out at 5:00 sharp", where as the people closer to you may be willing to go that extra mile out of love and care. Especially if it is a smaller scale, "family" business, this is a good practice I would think as long as they can do the job well.

Jkility
01-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Im just setting up a small business my self and my mum also owns a business and she does all her own bookkeeping, I've had a look at it all and for me it just looks to complicated so I went and asked her if she would do my book keeping and she was okay about it, bets thing of all she is a qualified book keeper which makes things even better! I suppose it depends if the people in your family are actually interested in what you do and are actually willing to assist you in your business, if they do they you could incorporate them or if not then you cant.

DomDom
01-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Depends on what your family members are like. If you can count on them to do the task its a good thing to have. If you arent sure about them then it may be more of a problem than solution! They arent afraid of you and you dont have authority over them so it can lead to them slacking nto caring etc. Also dont take your cousins in as employees if you aren 1000% sure that they are capable and competent!

lifeliveson
01-30-2014, 08:10 PM
I do all the creative stuff and my husband is in charge of sales. If I were to be in charge I would start giving stuff away to my friends so I know I had to set limits. Hes a shark somedays when it comes to sales, and he doesn't mind dealing with strangers where im not a fan, so we work well that way. We both handle finance and advertising.. I handle "production" and he handles sales.

speeduser
12-29-2020, 03:47 AM
I would strongly disagree to have family member in the business. As much as possible, you need to separate professional from personal life. - Green Water Technologies (https://greenwatertechnologies.biz/)

Brownii
01-14-2021, 03:37 AM
I agree with you. I think kids have to understand how hard it is to earn money from their childhood. When they enter school - they are probably ready to start working on you. So, you can give them their own pocket money. I have two children - 4 and 9 years old. When the pandemic started, our kindergarten closed. The elder one was studying from home. I sit with my younger son in the morning. Then I went to my office, the older son finished their classes and spent time with his brother. So, I gave him some money for that. Then we started to go to one of the daycare centres Brooklyn - https://littlescholarsnyc.com/, and it stopped the payments.

raviseo121
01-14-2021, 10:33 AM
thanks for sharing with us

Lilykevin86
02-13-2021, 01:38 AM
A business the board degree sets out a lot of open doors to bring in extra cash. Privately-owned company is huge business. As indicated by the Family Firm Institute,

kfirco2
02-20-2021, 07:52 PM
Our inventory includes not limited to cabinet locks, simple door locks, deadbolts as well as high security locks e.g., multi-lock, medeco, & mortis locks, etc.
Locksmith Raleigh, Raleigh locksmith (https://dknylocksmith.com/)

kfirco2
02-20-2021, 07:53 PM
Our inventory includes not limited to cabinet locks, simple door locks, deadbolts as well as high security locks e.g., multi-lock, medeco, & mortis locks, etc.
Locksmith Raleigh, Raleigh locksmith (https://dknylocksmith.com/)