PDA

View Full Version : How to work like the Japanese?

owesem75
01-28-2014, 06:13 AM
It is known to the whole world how hard working, dedicated and committed the Japanese workers are. No wonder, they are among the economically strong nations on Earth. What are their secrets? What do they have in their culture that so many others don't have? Their motivation is work satisfaction and not necessarily monetary incentives.. why? Any thoughts on this?

wahmbrenda
01-28-2014, 06:18 PM
This is something that I haven't just found with the Japanese, it's Asians in general. I'm not sure what it is but it has to start when they're young. I personally think that a lot of Americans are lazy.

ap4aaron
01-28-2014, 10:51 PM
I am Chinese, and I can tell you that in China, it is taught to work hard to live well. In China, if you don't work hard, you wont keep a job. It's just a part of culture that's been around forever.

swagger
01-29-2014, 03:22 PM
All workers are treated like family. Here in America, there's often fights between workers (not often, but it happens), bosses don't care about any aspect of your life besides your work life. In Japan, however, the Unions and owners are always on the same page, workers are treated as a family, and they're always happy and motivated. I try and be a boss like this, it's not easy, but it gives good results.

owesem75
01-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Well actually, I thought that apart from being hard working, the Japanese tend to take their jobs so personally important that sometimes they would voluntarily resign if they themselves are not happy with the result of their work (at least to this extent). They take pride of their work and even sacrificing personal time and space without (their boss) even asking them. It maybe cultural, but I still believe there is something else that we have yet to discover.

theshaynee
01-29-2014, 11:23 PM
I've always wondered about this too. But at the same time, I've heard so much about the dangers of how much and how hard they work themselves.
There have been several documentaries and news reports about people dying there because they work extremely hard without sleeping enough or eating right. This deprives their bodies of the rest and nutrients they need to keep going.
One guy died while at work. His heart just stopped and he collapsed.
I believe in a good work ethic but not at the expense of my life or even time with my family. Having said all this, I'm not from there nor have I ever been to Asia. So this may be isolated and much more rare than I've been led to believe. But when I hear about Japanese or Chinese work ethic, that's exactly what comes to mind for me.

cpefley
01-29-2014, 11:45 PM
They also put a lot of stress on people to succeed. Some people even kill themselves because they cave to the pressure. It is really sad. I think that their business skills are effective, but I'm not sure I would want to work in that kind of environment.

wahmbrenda
01-30-2014, 02:11 PM
I think that the stress that Asian cultures have people place on themselves about work is ridiculous. However, at the same time, I also think that it's ridiculous that in America nobody really works hard anymore. It's almost like it's taken for granted that if you lose 1 job you can go out and find another 1 tomorrow. Unfortunately, that's not the reality of it though. Just take a look at the unemployment rate and you can see that for yourself.

DomDom
01-30-2014, 04:29 PM
In my experience this is just a myth. All people are pretty simmilar. In every group culture nation you will find those hard working and those who are lazy :)

owesem75
01-30-2014, 06:35 PM
I think that the stress that Asian cultures have people place on themselves about work is ridiculous. However, at the same time, I also think that it's ridiculous that in America nobody really works hard anymore. It's almost like it's taken for granted that if you lose 1 job you can go out and find another 1 tomorrow. Unfortunately, that's not the reality of it though. Just take a look at the unemployment rate and you can see that for yourself.

In fairness to the Americans, I think they are more on discovery, invention, creativity and innovation. They are also very passionate about what they do and they do it best.

Auror
01-30-2014, 07:25 PM
I think this speculation started when the World War 2 ended. The Japanese people were left with nothing. Their food was very limited. But with their unity and dedication to bounce back they strived hard in order to reach what they are today. Look at them, they're a pretty powerful bunch of people right now. It's the unity of the Japanese people that make them what they are.

Oh, and if you really want to emulate a Japanese worker, perform Hara Kiri when you do something disgraceful. Lol. ;)

delusional
01-31-2014, 01:50 AM
I have some experience working with Japanese people. They take pride very serious. They also hate any form of bodily modification (tattoos, piercings, ...) so if you ever plan on working with Japanese companies, don't get a piercing because they will be disgusted every time they look at you.

Their quality control methods are crazy. Only the best is enough for them.

DomDom
01-31-2014, 07:54 AM
I have some experience working with Japanese people. They take pride very serious. They also hate any form of bodily modification (tattoos, piercings, ...) so if you ever plan on working with Japanese companies, don't get a piercing because they will be disgusted every time they look at you.

Their quality control methods are crazy. Only the best is enough for them.

So what they say about them is true? My uncle worked with some Japanese and said he wasnt very impressed. He said they are workers like all others, some good some bad.

fredkawig
01-31-2014, 08:37 AM
Asians particularly Japanese from what I've learned, because of having friends and Chruchmates which have Japanese blood, tend to be honest in their dealings and they can work with anyone you put them with. I guess it is a good trait of the Japanese to be honest and not to be selfish or having a "crab-mentality" mindset which we do have a lot here in the Philippines. They are also very polite and very respectful and they always bow as a sign of respect. We should have more of those traits ^_^

Taru
01-31-2014, 10:58 AM
I agree, and in my opinion, it is less about work and business and more about culture. The Japanese government has long before set a culture and standard that is still benefiting their country to this day. Granted, it's far from a perfect structure, but it has undeniably advanced their status to its very impressive current state. I think if you want to copy their structure, then you'd have to look at everything and it may be best to start with the basics like changing behaviors and mindset, including - or more accurately - especially diet and nutrition.

owesem75
01-31-2014, 11:06 AM
I wish it has something to do with their food.. it's like, eat sushi and be like a Japanese! Arigato!

Well, someone mentioned about the after effect of WW2 in the Japanese culture... I think this is the best answer (so far) to the mystery. :).. but JAPAN is already a progressive country prior to WW2 - hmmmm??

wander_n_wonder
01-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Actually, Japan in the 1960s used to have a different concept at work. In other words, at that time, they set their standards a bit too low. However, they realized that they cannot compete that way. It was more of a paradigm shift that allowed the Japanese to work this way right now. They changed all of their perceptions at work and this made them a lot better.

Bizwiz1011
01-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Since the Japanese have more of a collectivist mindset, and put their company/business before all else, it's easier to acquired the eternal worker bee mindset in that culture. You can have that mindset too, but it's take a little more work.

wahmbrenda
02-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I like how you said the "worker bee" because when I read your post I was thinking of a bee colony. This may sound funny but there was a movie out a few years ago called "The Bee" Has anyone seen it? I think it really demonstrates what we're talking about here quite well. It even shows what happens when the 1 bee wants to break out and do it on his own.

Lodismel
02-02-2014, 03:32 PM
In general the Japanese are more formal when it comes to business. You will get a much wider variety in the United States. That isn't to say you won't find a variety of styles in Japan, just that they are generally more formal. It's just a difference in culture and upbringing more than anything. More emphasis on getting a high paying job and self-worth being tied to that job. Much like the United States things are constantly changing. Be careful when assuming that all stereotypes are true. Until you see for yourself.

DomDom
02-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Actually, Japan in the 1960s used to have a different concept at work. In other words, at that time, they set their standards a bit too low. However, they realized that they cannot compete that way. It was more of a paradigm shift that allowed the Japanese to work this way right now. They changed all of their perceptions at work and this made them a lot better.

This sounds very interesting, could you go a little bit deeper? What actually did they change in their work culture? Sounds like useful information.

gHiros
02-02-2014, 04:34 PM
It is known to the whole world how hard working, dedicated and committed the Japanese workers are. No wonder, they are among the economically strong nations on Earth. What are their secrets? What do they have in their culture that so many others don't have? Their motivation is work satisfaction and not necessarily monetary incentives.. why? Any thoughts on this?

I think loyalty, responsibility, pride in their work and their attention to detail are some traits that the Japanese embrace, and thus, portray them as good workers.

When I hired several construction companies for my condo remodeling project, it was the Japanese-based company that excelled and provided quality work for me. For example, my bathroom vanity was made of Koa wood and it was still in good condition but quite old. Rather than replace it (which the majority of companies recommended), these guys refurbished it and made it look good as new. Overall, they did a great job and saved me a lot of money.

jubvman
02-02-2014, 05:00 PM

I've actually just finished reading a book that may interest some of you. It's called 'The Industrial Revolutionaries' by Gavin Weightman. There is some great information in there about how the Japanese were isolated during the revolution and thus were way behind in regards to technology etc. There was a group of five men, the Chōshū Five who illegally escaped from Japan to find out more about the Western culture. They studied in England and later returned to Japan with knowledge of the Western world, after this the Japanese started being more open to the advancement that was currently taking place.

I'm not too familiar with how the Japanese work, but I thought that may have gave you guys some insight :D

owesem75
02-02-2014, 05:09 PM
When someone posted about the predicament of the Japanese in the East during the world war, I also suddenly look at the situation of GERMANY in the West. Both countries are innovators and have great technologies in place. Both were involved in great wars and yet, look at their respective countries now? hmmm, the isolation of war probably made them self reliant and their lack of resources (especially Japan) made them great innovators and discoverer of what we know now as advanced technology....

wahmbrenda
02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
The Japanese definitely have a lot of things that we can learn from them. I think that's true of a lot of different societies though. As humans, we can all learn from 1 another as we strive to grow, improve and be our best selves possible.

delusional
02-10-2014, 05:12 AM
I think the Japanese take a lot of pride in their work. They also don't have anything else to do besides work. Their society is changing in a way that they are getting rid of normal relationships. They don't marry or date anymore because it is a waste of time. So they gain even more time to work.

sdsnook
02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Americans can gain a lot of insight from how the Asian cultures work. I am sure as time goes on and we learn more from each other this will become more balanced. I can't imagine that Americans should be completely classified as lazy.... tho yes we are spoiled, I think that our country has worked very hard to make things more convenient for society. I look forward to seeing how things pan out as the internet brings people across the world together and we as people make work, home and life simpler.

alec
04-02-2014, 04:49 PM
I think that the Japanese efficiency comes from their culture, a culture filled with honor and dedication to your master/leader. These values were kept alive during the centuries in different ways until they became what they are today. I see them as shy obedient people that work without asking too many questions so no wonder why Japanese businesses are doing so well.

sweetkymom
04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Japanese people pride themselves in their work more so than most Americans ever will. It's sad to say, most Americans are lazy. Japanese people often work so hard that they are endangering themselves, in which is not good.

Limpie
05-09-2014, 09:26 AM
I have always heard and seen Japanese people so hard-working. I remember I had a lesson in my school that the weather of Japan is very favorable, which is a very important part for the people of a country to work harder and harder. Not all Asian people are hard-working like them.