PDA

View Full Version : New here.

JessycaN
01-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Hello everyone! I'm Jessyca, and I'm an aspiring dog trainer. I've got so many thoughts going through my head that I don't even know where to start. And a ton of questions as well, lol. So I'll probably lurk and read for a bit, see if some of my questions have already been answered. I hope I can learn a lot from you!

swagger
01-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the forums, I'm sure you'll learn a lot from here, I've learned quite a bit myself in only a few days!

crimsonghost747
01-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Welcome!

A quick question seeing as I truly am interested, where do you study to become a dog trainer? How long does it take?

cpefley
01-29-2014, 04:03 PM
That's great Jessyca! That sounds like a wonderful business venture. I think that creating a logo, using social media to get your name out there is a great place to start. Do you have a business name yet, or are you just going to use your actual name?

JessycaN
01-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Welcome!

A quick question seeing as I truly am interested, where do you study to become a dog trainer? How long does it take?

That is a very good question, lol. There are a few "dog training schools" but they are expensive, and they don't offer any real benefits except a certificate of complete. Which is not the same as being certified at all. In fact, the hours that you spend in any of these schools can't even be counted as working hours toward your certification. And honestly, even becoming certified isn't nationally recognized yet.
Another option is to go to college for a related degree, like animal behavior, ethology, animal psychology, etc. But again, expensive, and these aren't common programs, and you won't get any actual hands on experience.
Option three is to find an existing trainer and apprentice under them. Shadow them, participate in group classes, eventually take over some training sessions. This does count toward your certification, and you get the real world experience. Unfortunately, most people just see you as competition, so why would they want to help you? Which is why I gave up on that route.

Or you could do what I'm doing. Which is basically taking the bull by the horns, throwing myself out there, and praying, lol! Ok, not that bad... Start working with shelters and rescues work with the dogs in their foster homes, try to get referrals to new owners when the dogs get placed.

And I totally just talked your ear off... Sorry, I'm kinda passionate about my field, lol.

JessycaN
01-29-2014, 05:05 PM
That's great Jessyca! That sounds like a wonderful business venture. I think that creating a logo, using social media to get your name out there is a great place to start. Do you have a business name yet, or are you just going to use your actual name?

I have a business name, but it's not registered yet. I've been working on my logo. I have basically no start-up money, so everything I can do myself for free is good, lol. Side note, so much bloody paperwork! I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what I need, and what needs to be filed first... Fictitious Name registration, general business license, tax information, do I need an EIN if I don't have employees, do I need a venders license, insurance, contracts... Oi!!