PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to know about your customers?

torgriffin
01-29-2014, 04:04 AM
Hello all,

I am conducting some research on how small businesses can boost sales during the 'off seasons'.

I would like to know what questions and answers you would want from consumers to help identify what would entice customers to interact with your business during times when business is typically slow.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I will compose these questions into a consumer survey and post the results next week.

Tor

oregano
02-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Are you looking at a particular industry, or small businesses in general?

In general terms, I would say that to boost sales during the slow season, business need to offer either a price incentive of some kind (discount, package deal, free upgrade etc.) or some kind of "different" product, service or event (free tastings, themed event etc. for a restaurant, bakery, icecream store; or indoor events such as Christmas parties in the winter at a canoe-rental business, for example).

Taru
02-07-2014, 01:15 PM
General information about them such as age, gender and interests would probably be a good place to start. Beyond that, I'd probably also want to know about purchasing habits such as budget and schedule, so that I would know how much they are typically willing to spend and when they usually do so. Lastly, I'd most likely want to know what their personal criteria would be on how they decide on whether to buy a certain product or not in relation to quality, meaning I'd want to know how much they base their decision on price against the quality of the goods so that I'd know which side they give more importance to which would then help me better understand how to prioritize and then work towards said priorities accordingly.

am.nevida
02-08-2014, 04:49 PM
General information about them such as age, gender and interests would probably be a good place to start. Beyond that, I'd probably also want to know about purchasing habits such as budget and schedule, so that I would know how much they are typically willing to spend and when they usually do so. Lastly, I'd most likely want to know what their personal criteria would be on how they decide on whether to buy a certain product or not in relation to quality, meaning I'd want to know how much they base their decision on price against the quality of the goods so that I'd know which side they give more importance to which would then help me better understand how to prioritize and then work towards said priorities accordingly.

I totally agree with you!
I would also add a poll: "satisfaction with customer service"!

owesem75
02-17-2014, 05:45 AM
I would like to know their historical operational requirements so I would be able to stock up on inventory when demand is expected to go high. I would also be interested to know their off-season activities and offer my services should it complement their diversification strategies.

mikelouis
02-17-2014, 08:04 PM
I am not sure what your business is about but it will revolve around a few factors. Like how do they find your pricing, delivery times, payment options among others.

tspires2
02-26-2014, 09:41 AM
It would greatly depend on the type of business you have or service that you offer. However we live in a very small and rural town and my customers really tell me everything I would like to know about them as they are checking out! I don't mean to make it sound crazy simple but we just chit chat and anything I wanted to know I just insert in the notes section of our system and insert into the customer database later. This helps with new release movie flyers I can kind of figure on the age range to send out emails or text messages!

alec
02-26-2014, 03:32 PM
From my experience and observations I can say that when a person stops spending on one thing it means that it starts spending on another. The trick to business in the off seasons would be to diversify. Lets say you sell winter clothing and only that. In the summer business will be slow, obviously, but diversify and start selling summer clothes too and business will pick up. If it's a small family business we are discussing here you can also interact with the customers and ask in person what they expect to find when buying from you.

Or you could try some of the things oregano discussed in his post, like discounts, package deals and free upgrades.

cassylexandra
02-27-2014, 12:06 AM
How interested they are in an item (unique or trendy for fashion especially, for gadgets, people look for universal usage)
How much they want to pay for it (and compare qualities)
People say deals, and discounts, but wouldn't you still compare a discounted item with another item that is the same price? (So that falls to quality.)
During the holidays especially if it's a gift, how long shipping will take.