PDA

View Full Version : Employees and Personal Things

KNH
01-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Do you block things like Facebook and Twitter on your computers?
I know a lot of companies say they have had trouble with their employees using social media during work. How many of you have had problems with this?

wander_n_wonder
01-31-2014, 02:06 PM
I do not believe in having to block these sites. If you do this to your employees, it already creates a signal that you don't trust them well enough to know what to do during work hours. If you trust your employees, they will become more responsible at work.

Bizwiz1011
02-01-2014, 12:44 AM
I don't believe in blocking social networking sites. If it becomes a problem, meaning affecting work, then talk to them individually. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Rainman
02-01-2014, 02:17 AM
As technology gets better and better, the traditional ways previously used to block certain applications on computers at the work-place, the network, etc may not work. If the app is blocked by a network administrator for example, a tech-savvy employee would you use a VPN to gain access to his social networks and you won't if he did that. What of them accessing the net using their devices? How would you stop that?
Maybe, as Bizwiz1011, says, the only way to solve the problem if it does come up, you just have to talk to your employees and expect them to change [because you'll make it clear the disciplinary action will follow if. . .].

fredkawig
02-01-2014, 02:27 AM
This is an extreme move to block Facebook and Twitter for your employees. Unless you are running a hazardous and extremely dangerous business which deals with utmost attention on what the employees should do or are working on, you shouldn't stop or block access of your employees to social media websites because it will seem to them like you are too authoritarian and we all know that authoritarian bosses do not make employees work hard instead they tend to slack of and do the minimal work they can since their boss is someone who hates fun.

KNH
02-01-2014, 05:33 AM
I agree with all of you. I feel it is a bit extreme. One of my friends owns a small business and he blocks Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit because he doesn't want his employees spending any time on those sites. I feel if they seriously can't lay off social media for a few hours they should look for other options.

oregano
02-01-2014, 06:23 AM
Agreed, blocking access to certain sites from employees' computers sends the message that they can't be trusted to do their jobs when the boss isn't looking, so that doesn't make for a very happy, motivated workforce. This is a problem in many offices, however, as some people, especially the younger generation, seem to be simply addicted to Facebook, Twitter, email and whatever other social media-type sites they use. In addition, now that so many people use smartphones and small tablets, I'm not sure if an employer can block access to specific sites from these.

jubvman
02-01-2014, 01:09 PM
I think for most businesses, blocking social sites like facebook and twitter is unnecessary. Employees will probably get really irritated at this and it'll probably backfire, instead of making them work harder it will have the opposite effect. I would recommend talking to an employee privately if it becomes a problem for a certain individual.

delusional
02-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Blocking social media sites almost always makes employees look for ways they can access them.
Keep in mind that it takes double the amount of time for your employees to go to an unblocking site and then go to a social media site. So it's better not to waste your and their time and just don't block.
You can also get a feel of which people waste their time on social media sites and filter them out.

jubvman
02-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Blocking social media sites almost always makes employees look for ways they can access them.
Keep in mind that it takes double the amount of time for your employees to go to an unblocking site and then go to a social media site. So it's better not to waste your and their time and just don't block.
You can also get a feel of which people waste their time on social media sites and filter them out.

Never actually thought about the unblocking thing. I can personally confirm this as I used to spend hours in school trying to unblock certain sites. I know work and school may be different things but I think the principle still holds true.

pandandesign
02-03-2014, 02:25 AM
I don't often go visit Facebook or Twitter, therefore, I am still good whether or not the company blocks these social media sites. In fact, I try to avoid going to Facebook as much as I can because it's way different than it used to be, which I don't feel like going there anymore because it's more like an advertisement site than a social media. Plus, Facebook has always changed its interface, which I always have a hard time looking for the latest posts because every time I get used to the interface, Facebook changes it again. Social media isn't my thing, so I am able to survive without having one.

hillaryNC
02-04-2014, 12:56 PM
I guess it depends. If your employees aren't doing work, and getting distracted then maybe you could. But the reality is, most people have phones.. and you aren't going to take away their phones are you? I would just leave it to their decision. Obviously if they spend all their day on the social media sites and don't get their work done, maybe you need to reconsider who you hired!

Lodismel
02-04-2014, 02:12 PM
I think it's kind of silly to try to block things like that. You aren't watching over kids here, these are adults. If they are doing their work like they are supposed to be doing I don't see the harm in them checking Facebook every now and then. As long as it doesn't slow down productivity. It also creates a negative atmosphere. Nobody likes to be told they can't do stuff.

Taru
02-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I agree with a lot of the comments on this thread. Having been an employee myself in the past, I also experienced getting my instant messenger blocked, but it only made me search for alternate ways to access it and I, along with my other co-workers were always able to find ways around it. I personally don't believe in blocking these things as it only makes working in an office even more frustrating than it has to be. I could understand if the job required full attention on the computer for the duration of the work hours, though, like customer service or telemarketing. Otherwise, I think a little more relaxed environment will make the workers happier and therefore probably result in better quality of work, but that's just my own opinion.

KaplanTheThird
02-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Blocking certain sites can backfire. I used to work for a huge international retailer, which at one point decided to implement a social network block on all office computers. They got rid of the policy after a couple of months and right afterwards that amount of employees using social media surged. I think it was due to the fact that before the ban most employees knew not to spend time on social media sites, but after the blocks were lifted everyone rushed to use it because a) they felt deprived of it for a period of time and b) unblocking it made it acceptable in a sense. Never before had I considered watching youtube at work and suddenly I found myself sharing funny videos with colleagues.

Spiff
02-08-2014, 03:57 AM
At the place that I am currently employed, this happens a lot of the time. I see many of my coworkers using the web browser while they are supposed to be working, and it makes me upset. The worst is when they are supposed to be taking calls, and they are trying to help people and use the internet at the same time. It doesn't matter how well you trust your employees, these sites should definitely be blocked. Take it from me. If people are unable to use these sites, they will find something more productive to do or even ask their supervisor if there is something more that they can help with. Nobody wants to sit there and stare at the computer screen, being bored out of their minds. I think that some people will find their way around it, but the majority of people will just try to find something else to do. There is always work that can be done!

mikelouis
02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
The reason why companies block the social media accounts is because most workers will be busy chatting instead of working on their duties. It really hurts that you are paying someone every month just to come and chat on facebook with friends. OK this is not for every worker, but most of them. This is why the Internet adminstrators will open the social media accounts during breaks such as lunch break or after work hours.

owesem75
02-12-2014, 06:46 AM
In one of our project, the IT department blocked all possible access to any social media sites and even free emails sites such as yahoo, hotmail, etc. Because it is a standard policy for all and mentioned during the orientation week (after hiring), nobody is complaining.

Most of our staff is using smartphones and they have their own internet subscrition where they can check their private emails or access their FB and social media sites.

It is not about control, but rather security against possible threat on our important information and databases.

sbatz72
02-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I do believe technology, not just Facebook and Twitter, is a great barrier in getting our work done. If we allowed our employees to have use of sites like Facebook and Twitter, they might not get any work done, or at least all of the work they are supposed to. This would be unproductive for the company. Time is money, and if we are not using our time wisely and wasting it, we are therefore wasting money.

caveman
02-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Never actually thought about the unblocking thing. I can personally confirm this as I used to spend hours in school trying to unblock certain sites. I know work and school may be different things but I think the principle still holds true.

Same, my school used to block social media sites among other things during school hours. But we just found other ways to still access it. I just think it is pointless and you should trust someone to do their job without having to force it onto them and taking away such petty things.

DomDom
02-12-2014, 03:50 PM
I think it should all be blocked. It just gives your employee things to take the attention off of the task that needs to be done. If they cant have fun on the internet they are more likely to do a good job. I am a mean boss I must admit. :D

KNH
02-13-2014, 02:44 AM
Thanks for all your responses.

I was thinking the same thing about the phones. Honestly if I were addicted to social media (I'm not) and the company I worked for blocked them all, I would just pull out my cell phone and check them.

DomDom
02-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all your responses.

I was thinking the same thing about the phones. Honestly if I were addicted to social media (I'm not) and the company I worked for blocked them all, I would just pull out my cell phone and check them.

I would probably ban cellphone internet in the working place then because I am cruel :D

mameeker@cuse
02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
In general I believe no sites should be blocked from employees. If you want an employee to act as a professional adult, do not treat them as a child. Instead I would have an IT guy set up a program to notify you of when an employee is on social media sites and other non-business related sites. Just make sure the employees know about this program, and I guarantee it will work better than blocking them.

Mojibobo
02-19-2014, 06:01 PM
If people blocked them, they would spend more time looking for ways around it. Just simply ask for them not to go on it and that if they want to waste there time on it and not complete work on time, they will be fired.

alec
04-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I think that it depends on the business. Are your employees sitting around waiting for a call or work? Let them browse the net, they don't have anything better to do anyway. But, if you get to the point where business is affected by the browsing habits of your employees, limit or cut their access. Obviously, companies handling sensitive information with strict security policies are gonna limit internet access by default.

sweetkymom
04-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Blocking social media websites from work computers is going to the extremes. If you can't trust your employee to do their job, why hire them? Sometimes there are fine lines that need not to be crossed.

MahaKarthi
10-16-2014, 04:49 AM
I do believe technology, not just Facebook and Twitter, is a great barrier in getting our work done. If we allowed our employees to have use of sites like Facebook and Twitter, they might not get any work done, or at least all of the work they are supposed to. This would be unproductive for the company. Time is money, and if we are not using our time wisely and wasting it, we are therefore wasting money.

No, social sites should never be blocked, if you do so your employees will start looking for alternatives. Moreover if you think they will waste their time browsing updates and so on. Is there any one employee who works for complete 8 or 9 hrs in a day? Apart from lunch they go for tea breaks and additional breaks, no one can stop them for that. And of course, hanging with colleagues they spend some time. Each employee will know what time and till what extent they spend for all these stuff. At this era you block sites I feel it’s meaningless. YOu may opt for restricted access and allow access during certain hours or so if you find it necessary to block them.

sjphill
11-18-2014, 06:06 PM
One of my employees plays around on social media as much as he wants to. I tell new employees when they earn as much for the business as he does (and hes a top salesman) then they can f**k around as much as he does.

MahaKarthi
01-23-2015, 04:33 AM
I think blocking such sites will surely create a negative impression about the company in the employees mind. So, talking about the usage will definitely make employees to understand in a better way and act accordingly. Or else having it as a company’s policy will help the employees to know well about the company in prior. But, blocking social media websites all of a sudden will make the employees to work in a negative manner than in the regular way.

Robert01
06-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Employees shouldn't use social media at their working hours. But that does not mean it needs to be blocked. Any way, if a company blocks the social media for their employees then there is nothing to be strange about. It's not a crime and it's not cruelty. It's just a simple perspective of the owner and there is nothing wrong about it.

bonnie123
09-15-2015, 01:13 AM
If we allow them to use social networks,they only spending their time for that itself,they are not finishing their work schedule.

cwvps
09-15-2015, 03:56 AM
If you cannot motivate your employee to do his/her job, you won't solve that by banning social media sites. It is so normal nowadays for people to check their social media accounts and you should have an employee who will handle your social media pages. I really hope you have them for your business. If you have dedicated and motivated employees, depending on the nature of your business, they can even help the business by sharing ideas from the social media and they can also check out what the competition is doing. Use the social media, don't reject it.

melleigha
02-26-2016, 05:51 PM
I do not believe in having to block these sites. If you do this to your employees, it already creates a signal that you don't trust them well enough to know what to do during work hours. If you trust your employees, they will become more responsible at work.

I completely agree. If you trust your employees, they will want to be worthy of that trust.

campbelljof
02-29-2016, 06:06 AM
Employees Using Social Media at Work: Pros
Increased productivity
Leverage employees’ networks:
Increased job satisfaction

Employees Using Social Media at Work: Cons
Personal brand overshadows the corporate brand
Inappropriate updates
Employees taking advantage

See in detail here (http://sproutsocial.com/insights/facebook-twitter-work/)