PDA

View Full Version : Natural Spring Water Company - Seeking Ideas and Opinions

Steven_Fonz
06-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Hey all,

I just graduated from Villanova's School of Business landed a gig in finance and I could not want to be more out. I am looking to take a different path and be my own boss instead of working for someone else.

My uncle and I are looking to start a company - something water related and are welcoming all ideas and opinions.

Our family owns a house in upstate NY and on the property is a natural spring (already tested by a hydrologist and good to go) which has a flow rate of 50 Gallons/Min ~ 72,000 g/day ~ 26.2 M a year.

We have had this spring for over 15 years and thought we might as well do something with it. Some ideas that we had were:

- water bottling plant with our business model being 1FOR1 Water essentially buy one/give one
- Some sort of not for profit
- Disaster relief -- a lot going on in Flint MI, California droughts, Texas, impoverished areas

The water is essentially free. There are so many people across the united states without access to clean drinking water. The numbers are scary. What do you think we should do with it? Any realistic business ideas?

If you guys have any thoughts or ideas and would like to share them we would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Sergio090
07-17-2016, 06:22 AM
i may have something very interesting for you, my brother is in the industry and it is also with the charity which you might enjoy, please send me a PM and we can talk about it more

geoffrey foggon
07-17-2016, 10:47 AM
I'm from western mass have you tried farmers markets there all the rage here in ma. Bottle the water and sell there give back to the community by donating water to food banks. walk around giving free bottles of the water with a label telling people about the spring and where to get more. I do a lot of home brewing so you can get bottles that are self sealing, have it so if they bring the bottle back to refill you will give a discount. Call it recycling instead of having a deposit.

if there is any local craft brewers offer it to them at a discounted price. Good clean water makes good beer....if you don't want to make a profit you ca always donate the money to local charities and kid programs.

pathrunner
09-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Bottled water always comes down more to the packaging than the contents. The majority of money for water goes to packaging, marketing, distribution, and operations, than it does for the water itself. Your post is several months old, so I'm not sure if you've come to realize this yet or not, but if you haven't you will soon.

There are a few options that you may want to consider. If you have access to a tanker truck, you may want to market to local organic gardeners and farmers. Even at just a few cents a gallon profit, you will find that you would make more money at the end of the day going this route, than the logistics and costs in individual bottling. As a smart marketing move, you can also give the farmers the tools they need to make their crops and animals more appealing by marketing that their food is only fed fresh, non chlorinated, non fluoridated water from you and that a portion of your proceeds goes to the Flint water project, or some other cause that you seek to back.

Hope this helps.