PDA

View Full Version : Who agrees?

KNH
02-01-2014, 04:41 AM
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life".

Do you agree with this?

nowicki2013
02-01-2014, 12:05 PM
I agree with that statement 100%. I used to deliver pizza and I really had a lot of fun doing it. All I had to do was drive around all day and deliver delicious pizza to people who loved seeing me come to their doorstep. I got to eat all the free pizza I wanted to and the "work day" flew by! It didn't seem like work at all and I got to hang out with a lot of my friends there. I had to quit because gas prices got too high. I wasn't making a whole lot of money there anyway, it was just temporary, but it proves to show that if you love what you do it's really not work.

DomDom
02-01-2014, 12:52 PM
I must say that I dont agree with it 100%. The truth as always (for me ) lies in the middle. There are some jobs that you will love but no matter how good you are or how much you enjoy them wont put enough food on the table or put your kids through school. I believe everyone has more than one thing that they could work and like. The best thing is to pick the thing that you can do which can also make you some money!

cpefley
02-01-2014, 01:53 PM
I would love to agree, however, even at a job you love, there are going to be days and situations that aren't particularly fun to deal with. Even a job you love comes with certain people and interactions that are unfavorable.

Taru
02-02-2014, 10:38 AM
I'd only partially agree. There are jobs out there that we don't know about, hence we don't know whether we would have loved them or not - by which I mean it's also totally possible to fall in love by chance with a job instead of consciously seeking out one that you thought you would love. There's also the case that sometimes when we do get our dream job, and then we find out that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I think a better lesson would be to just keep an open mind and be flexible. Also, I think this is especially not applicable when it comes to business, since it's probably best to remain objective at all times and not get too attached to anything when handling a company, so as to be able to adapt at the snap of a finger.

lifeliveson
02-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Some times that is true but if it's a matter of money to survive our enjoying your job.. you can't be happy not keeping yourself afloat just to have a job you like... But it is important to not completely hatred your job

swagger
02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
I agree all the way. If you're doing something you enjoy as a job, it really isn't like work, and your whole life will be happier.

owesem75
02-02-2014, 04:30 PM
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life".

Do you agree with this?

Yes I agree and No I don't agree.

If you love your work, things will be a little easier at your work place and you don't bring home stresses. But if your intention it to "never have to work a day in your life" - then, you have to learn some more about the job you love and start a business that will multiply that job and manage them, so it will bring income to you x-fold and when you have successful business out of the job you love - you can provide job opportunities to other people, you will increase your cash flow and you will have time to spend with your family and you will just monitor your business and you will never have to work "hard" a day in your life.

Musho
02-04-2014, 10:22 PM
I would have to agree with this completely. It's much like doing a hobby you already do and like but you're getting paid for it. The money is nice, but you'd probably be doing the activity anyway if you had the resources.

KNH
02-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! I have to say that there are probably a few stressful days here and there. Also, someone mentioned money. Regardless the situation, being low on money is stressful and can cause a change in someone's viewpoint of his/her happiness with his/her job. If money didn't matter, I feel being able to do a job that I love and enjoy every day would be blissful :)

caveman
02-06-2014, 07:57 AM
I completely agree with that saying. Whenever I'm working on a new project for my business, I can go on for hours and hours and won't even realise it. You also give in your best and the outcome is much better than doing a job you loathe.

karmaskeeper
02-17-2014, 01:07 AM
I agree for the most part and a positive attitude helps. I love helping people and making them smile and even laugh.

DennisChang
02-17-2014, 03:02 AM
Half agree. Choosing a job that you love would definitely be more enjoyable than doing a job you hate. But in today's world, the job nature has become more complicated than before. A lot of jobs require multi-tasking, and you most probably still have to do something you do not like as part of your job scope.

JohnSword
02-17-2014, 03:03 AM
I think the quote pretty much describes the ideal situation. It sounds pretty simple and easy but it is not. There are many different aspects related to it – money just being one. What if what you love is not profitable?

Many would argue back saying ‘’just do what you love, follow your passion and the money will follow.’’ Well maybe it will – maybe it won’t.

I think a more realistic approach is to dedicate off work hours to doing what you love and saving the money received from doing what you don’t. You would be free to pursue your passions while not having to worry about putting food on the table. Once you're able to make money from your passion, you can then truly "not work a day for the rest of your life."

Rainman
02-17-2014, 04:50 AM
I don't agree. The reason people believe they love something is because they don't get enough time to do whatever it is they like. If you upset the equilibrium and spend more time doing something you liked, eventually you get desensitized to what you're doing. You may try to convince yourself that you like the actvity but sooner or later the delusion will collapse.

IMO therefore, there's a very thin line which separates what you love and what you hate. Depending on how much time you spend on either, your preferences will swing to either side.

fredkawig
02-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Yes. This is what I have been saying in all of my posts. The more you love your Job and business, you will really never go wrong as you will be enjoying it for the rest of your life. Most people fail because their job or business is not in line with their interest.

derrickadkins1970
02-17-2014, 10:53 AM
It means if you can earn money doing something that you enjoy, it won't feel like work.

Bakerpat
02-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I agree that when you are doing something you really like doing you can find yourself so involved in it that you may not view it as work but an activity that you would do whether you got paid or not. On the other hand this passion must provide certain things to be considered work and not a hobby like an income that will provide the basics like a roof over your head, food in your stomach and clothes on your back. If you have a family that has to be considered also.

I worked as a realtor many years ago, loved it and did not consider it work, but I was away from my kids and husband more than 80 hours a week. It took a toll on my relationships and my health. I made excellent money but that really was not what it was about. I learned to not get so involved in what I was doing to forget about the people in my life that really was the reason I was doing what I was doing.

So all though I loved real estate I had to find a way to enjoy being involved in the industry but still have the balance of a family life.

Sally108
02-19-2014, 08:00 AM
I have read to choose a job you love, think about what you love to do....what would you be doing even if you weren't getting paid to do it? Then try to fit a job into this category. It frees up your thinking if you can pull money out of the equation.

WeDontSleep
02-20-2014, 08:43 AM
I couldn't agree with that statement more. If I could earn money doing what I love doing the most which is playing video games :D I would wake up every single day with the biggest smile on my face because I get to play video games and earn money at the same time, that's the best thing that could happen to me. One of my friends really loves working on cars, he's been modifying them, repairing them for almost ten years now and he finally open his own shop now where he repairs cars for money, he said that he couldn't be happier with this job.

Jimmyjazz1976
02-20-2014, 09:22 AM
I definitely agree with this statement! I also feel like if you can "gamify" your aspects of your job then that can alter your attitudes and feelings about the work and tasks at hand.

Cadence
02-21-2014, 12:21 PM
I do agree with this statement! Unfortunately I think there are few people who are lucky enough to get to work with something they really love. Money is often a big issue, people take any job they can get to get by economically, even if it's not a job they like. I've always said that I would rather have a low paying job that I love than a job I hate with a high salary, I have yet to see this happen though.

randr
02-23-2014, 09:24 PM
If you enjoy what you do then you won't feel like you're "working" you will feel like you're getting paid to spend your whole day simply doing what you love to do anyway!

Cd2 Solutions
02-25-2014, 03:20 AM
I would love to agree, however, even at a job you love, there are going to be days and situations that aren't particularly fun to deal with. Even a job you love comes with certain people and interactions that are unfavorable.

i agree. but for the other 99% of the time, it wont feel like work at all.

Gmac9100
02-26-2014, 09:05 AM
I agree, but the chances of actually being able to that are slim, to none. Jobs are not about pleasure. Jobs are about money, supporting yourself, and your family. So pay rate is the highest priority. In my opinion. You can have all the fun you want, but if you cant pay your bills is it worth it?

Taru
03-05-2014, 03:22 AM
I agree, but the chances of actually being able to that are slim, to none. Jobs are not about pleasure. Jobs are about money, supporting yourself, and your family. So pay rate is the highest priority. In my opinion. You can have all the fun you want, but if you cant pay your bills is it worth it?

Very good point. It's a matter of priority, and when you are a bachelor or bachelorette, the choice seems fairly simple, but once you make a family of your own things get fairly complicated. It's a romantic goal to have, but as you've said, jobs are more about the income than the experience and at the end of the day, you can't really feed your family with the enjoyment you derive from a job that you like. Sometimes, the choice is just not there because a lot of the high paying jobs are actually boring ones.

Jane Hastings
03-09-2014, 10:52 AM
I agree with this. I believe if you love what you're doing, then you will be much much happier. You will encounter problems and have off days but you can find different ways to cheer yourself up. Do something that you enjoy and most of the time, you won't feel like you're working because you're too busy being happy. Money plays a big part but what are you going to do with your money if you feel miserable? Be happy :)

janineaa
03-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Even if you love what you do, you definitely have to work at it for it to grow and be as successful as you want it to be. So I can't agree with the statement 100%. I think as long as you love your work though, you wouldn't give up on it easily and you'd be motivated to keep working at it.

cmiller
04-03-2014, 06:58 AM
I agree 100% when you are doing something you love you are not working you are doing what you love. You are earning money for doing something that you really enjoy doing.

bingaguilar
04-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Yes, I believe this is true. I've you're doing something you love, then it's no longer work. But that is only possible if we live in an ideal world. Unfortunately, we do not and we usually have to make sacrifices just to put food on the table. What we need to do is to love the job that we have right now so we would be able to enjoy it and not feel shortchanged. Everything boils down to our perspective. If you hate your job, it will not be just work, it will be torture :razz: