PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a business just for the money?

swagger
02-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Obviously money is one of the key aspects as you need it, but do you own a business for any reasons besides monetary gain?

JohnSword
02-04-2014, 04:04 AM
Yes, I started my business because I've always had a passion for the creative arts. I think that's the biggest reason why I'm able to stay motivated, although there are certainly highs and lows.

At the same time, I'm a risk-taker, and building a business from scratch sounds like a pretty good challenge to me.

Rainman
02-04-2014, 04:26 AM
To be successful in any business you should have, at least, some passion for what you're doing otherwise you'll get bored pretty fast and give up on your business. However, since the love of money is almost universal and I think the desire to have more of it would be a good incentive for anyone to stick in a business even if s/he doesn't like it.

When I do start a business, it definitely won't be just for the money.

delusional
02-04-2014, 05:29 AM
Money is a big part of the "why" when someone starts a business. It can be the power that drives the business. Another aspect has to be the interest in the field of business. You can't become successful if you don't like what you are doing.

Thrix
02-04-2014, 02:14 PM
One of the reasons, but not the only one. Well I don't run a business, yet, but what motivates me towards starting my own, except money is

- being my own boss
- being respected
- settling my own work hours
- sense of importance
- doing what I love

caveman
02-05-2014, 06:12 AM
I'm still a student but I'm partners with my sister. We have a small business and we main started it so we could do something we like plus earn a few extra cash to support ourselves. Colleges now are so expensive and since we're doing pretty well I'm hoping to pay off my loan slowly and not have to worry a lot about it in the future.

fredkawig
02-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Yes and No. We currently own a business for the purpose of making profit. But I am planning to establish a business for the purpose not only of money but since it is a passion of mine and it is what I do. I love gadgets and computers and I'm planning to establish a computer shop and store in the future since a lot of people nowadays are all in the hype of having new gadgets in their hands.

SimplySidy
02-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Almost 16+ years, I had been a computer trainer. I even opted out of being promoted just because if promoted, I would not be allowed to teach. So teaching is a kind of passion for me. When I fell ill in 2008 and was confined to the boundaries of the home, I continued to work as a website developer from home as a freelance, and also continued taking classes. Today, website development and consultancy is my business and I am trying to get my teaching site online so that I can find students easily, as today, the students here do not find much time to go beyond regular classes to private tutors.

What I mean to say is that my current business is not for money, as most of us here are aware that website development and that too freelance is not easy these days, given the tough competition and me from being a Non-Native English speaking guy. I am doing it out of passion and also earn some extra to help my family meet the medical expenses on me.

pandandesign
02-06-2014, 02:14 AM
Well, money would be part of the factor I want to have my own business. Other factors would be that I'm able to learn all the things about business and the market, which I also don't have to think about losing my job because many people have gotten their hours cut or lay off because of the economy. Plus, I want to work in my own hours and my own pace, which I think having a business is a big advantage right there.

am.nevida
02-07-2014, 06:19 AM
To be successful in any business you should have, at least, some passion for what you're doing otherwise you'll get bored pretty fast and give up on your business. However, since the love of money is almost universal and I think the desire to have more of it would be a good incentive for anyone to stick in a business even if s/he doesn't like it.

When I do start a business, it definitely won't be just for the money.

I agree, passion is the root of everything you do. You can't run a succesful business if you don't have passion in what you do! So i think I would never run a business just for the money :/

Taru
02-07-2014, 12:36 PM
As of now, I'd say that is pretty much the case, yes. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work that I do, but I definitely would love to be doing other things if only those things would pay as much as my current business. I've also gotten used to it over the years and I've learned to love it to some degree, but I am still hoping to transition into other, more fun things when or if the opportunity arises.

Qraqq
02-09-2014, 07:58 AM
As I've said elsewhere, I think the satisfaction of doing something to better this world should be the main goal. Whether it be by opening a pharmacy or a tailors, if it helps people get what they want with quality, then that's just awesome.

My honest opinion!

TaraC
02-09-2014, 10:53 PM
I started my first business for the money. I used my work experience to start the business. I really didn't like it. I knew the service was great and was needed, but I had no passion for it. I really didn't like my clients. They were healthcare providers (doctors and chiropractors). They were very slow to pay me and called me for stuff that was unrelated to by service.

I eventually farmed out my clients when a family member became terminally ill. I never went back to business. Someone tried to talk me into starting up again a few years ago, but I just can't do it. I could easily make 6 figures, but it's not worth it. I'm sure that I can do something I like or even love and make the same amount of money.

dannyboy
02-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Truthfully yes. But I also wanted to own my own business because i wanted to be my own boss. There is nothing worse than having to answer to someone else. I wanted to be able to call the shots and make the decisions.

DomDom
02-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Honestly I wish I could have a business that fulfills me AND makes money. Unfortunately if I had to choose I would rather have a business for the money than the pleasure. I want to work to live not live to work :)

owesem75
02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
I agree with all that has been posted in this thread, but I also would just like to add that there are some businessmen who setup businesses not only for monetary gains, or prestige, some of them also have LEGACY in their minds. Imagine, the feelings when you could start a business that will outlast your life and your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and the future generations operating it and it is making sure that you will leave them with a much better life than you used to live before you started the business.

WeDontSleep
02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Never thought about legacy before, that is a great point that owesem75 made. I guess some people do create businesses because they want to have something that people would remember them for. If I were to create my own business I think that most important reason why I would do it is the freedom, I mean I would be my own boss, don't have to listen to anybody. I can't deny the importance of money in today's society so I guess the second most important reason would be money.

alec
02-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Honestly I wish I could have a business that fulfills me AND makes money. Unfortunately if I had to choose I would rather have a business for the money than the pleasure. I want to work to live not live to work :)

I like the "I want to work to live, not live to work" part very much since that's how I see things also. While I do agree that passion for what you do is great to have and makes work bearable I'm also trying to be a realist and think about the money too. Not just once in the past I found myself doing what I loved but getting little money in return. I was poor and the happiness of doing what I liked was waning. Now I'd just go for a business with high return rates and moderate involvement time since this way I can chase my passions too.

owesem75
02-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Never thought about legacy before, that is a great point that owesem75 made. I guess some people do create businesses because they want to have something that people would remember them for. If I were to create my own business I think that most important reason why I would do it is the freedom, I mean I would be my own boss, don't have to listen to anybody. I can't deny the importance of money in today's society so I guess the second most important reason would be money.

Thanks for the shout-out! Actually, this legacy thing is of common to businesses in the far-eastern countries like Japan, China and South Korea. Look at Mitsubishi, Toyota, Daewoo, Samsung, etc.. if you will get to read their history, you will find some evidence that the founders of these companies wanting their businesses to run forever.. :) that's legacy for their family and the people who will patronize their products or services.

Taru
03-05-2014, 03:26 AM

I completely agree with your comment. I myself also wish the same, but it's not always possible as sometimes the businesses that we land on are ones that aren't exactly the most prominently noble, but I think as long as we do what we can do to make the business the best that it can be, then we do ultimately give back to the world regardless of what industry we are in. We must not forget that any business usually at the very least still provides jobs for people that they may otherwise not have had and in that case they may have easily just fallen into a different job with a much more horrible boss than any of us. :)

mikelouis
03-05-2014, 03:46 AM
Money has always been the motivation. If you are not making any money from the business then there is no need if still running the business. Although there might be loses on the way, making money is the top priority.

ursell
03-08-2014, 07:02 PM
I agree that money is a part of it but not the most important part. I always dreamed of having my own business
and being a successful boss. I have the passion to have my own successful business and be rich from doing it. But
it hasn't happen yet.

SteakTartare
03-08-2014, 07:51 PM
just for the money?

Pretty much, yes. While there are a some folks that do something for a living they truly love, the fact of the matter is most of us do something we find somewhat interesting or at least tolerate well to keep the greenbacks flowing. I do the things I enjoy as part of family life, hobbies, or cultural things. I work, plan, and build upon businesses to make the money.

LindaKay
03-08-2014, 08:08 PM
I work for myself for the freedom AND the money. And the fact that I really enjoy what I do, which has never been true with any job that I had before.

jubvman
03-09-2014, 12:08 AM
I think money is something which motivates pretty much everyone. Everything requires money (food, shelter, warmth etc.) and so it's understandable that money is a huge priority for most people.

However, I think that passion should definitely be present if you own a business, you should be looking to help people solve a problem. You're a provider.

Here is a famous quote by John D. Rockefeller - "If your only goal is to become rich, you will never achieve it."

Jane Hastings
03-09-2014, 10:22 AM
I am in the process of starting my own business and it took me a long time to decide what I really want to do because I was scared to take risks and waste money. But I realized that money is not everything. I know that's cliche to say but it's the truth. Personally, I want to start something I am passionate with because that motivates me to actually do something with full determination. I want my business to be something that I love so I know I won't regret anything in the end. It's important to love what you're doing.

janineaa
03-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Money is definitely one reason, but that isn't my only motivation to run a business. I started a business so that I could be my own boss. I wanted to control my own time, make my own decisions and not have the responsibility to answer to a superior. Furthermore, having a business gives jobs to people in need, and at the same time, I get to help my family succeed as well. I guess it's just my passion to lead and be an entrepreneur. :)

Taru
03-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Money is definitely one reason, but that isn't my only motivation to run a business. I started a business so that I could be my own boss. I wanted to control my own time, make my own decisions and not have the responsibility to answer to a superior. Furthermore, having a business gives jobs to people in need, and at the same time, I get to help my family succeed as well. I guess it's just my passion to lead and be an entrepreneur. :)

You brought up a very interesting point, and I agree. I've forgotten that you could also pretty much make a good amount of money from being employed at some companies, but entrepreneurship offers something further than monetary gain which is to be the boss who has actual control over the profits to be gained. I personally thought the same but have forgotten this little tidbit along the way, so I appreciate you pointing it out and reminding me once again why I felt it to be better to be my own boss even if it entailed a bit more stress and uncertainty.

gadgetised
03-11-2014, 01:07 AM
Money is great but yes, passion is the root. I would not get very far if I wasn't motivated to do the work I do. Money motivates, but not for long.

ursell
03-19-2014, 08:53 PM
No money isn't everything but it would be nice to make a lot of it. I have the passion and dire to
own a successful business and be my own boss.

cmiller
04-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Yes there are many other reasons I own my own business for other than the money. For one thing you have no boss and no one you have to answer to or worry about. You get to set your own time as to when you want to work and you overall have the decision on how much money that you want to make.

canoe
04-04-2014, 01:36 AM
Well, I run a business that I'm passionate about so no, it's not only about the money although I'm not gonna lie: money is a big part of my motivation. Still, having passion for it is important because unless you like what you do everyday, you're gonna burn out fast no matter how much money you're making.

angela5pointo
04-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Money is the key aspect of owning a business, however it also serves as a hobby and a sense of security. I started my business over five years ago and it has grown significantly. It has never been my sole source of income. I was a teacher and a independent contractor for many different home based businesses. I became pregnant and quit teaching and poured all my time at home into my business. I love being able to put in as many hours as I wish daily, however I also know if I lack on effort, essentially I will lack sales.

AB9100
04-04-2014, 06:45 PM
No. i do not own my business just for the money.

I have been sewing, and designing clothes since i was a teenager. It is one of favorite things to do in life in life. I initially only made clothes for myself, but when people started asking where did i get a particular item from. I saw the earning potential in my skill.

When i first started out i would go to the local Flea Market's to sell my products.

However. With all of the technological advancements in today's world. I discovered a better option. That option is Amazon. It made the process extremely different, but better once i got the hang of it.

boxoflove
07-14-2017, 01:20 PM
That depends - like I wrote a second ago, it's a small business - I need money mostly for pro camera - I manage clients and my website on my own...

Lmaomen1
12-10-2019, 12:19 AM
in fact you may buy a pharmacy as it was said earlier as pharmacy is a profitable business

GoodFollow
12-10-2019, 05:04 AM
Indeed pharmacy is a good business, it depends on what you want to have from this business, money or pleasure. Personally, I bought a pharmacy from https://pharmacysales.com.au (https://pharmacysales.com.au/pharmacies-for-sale) because they had made me a good offer, they helped me with the paperwork, and I run my own business, and I am doing this not for money, but just because I want to help people, I consult everyone who needs this, I have discount's for veterans or socially vulnerable people, I help people every time I can.

Mickey1991
12-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Indeed pharmacy is a good business, it depends on what you want to have from this business, money or pleasure. Personally, I bought a pharmacy from https://pharmacysales.com.au (https://pharmacysales.com.au/pharmacies-for-sale) because they had made me a good offer, they helped me with the paperwork, and I run my own business, and I am doing this not for money, but just because I want to help people, I consult everyone who needs this, I have discount's for veterans or socially vulnerable people, I help people every time I can.

Found a lot of information about Pharmacies for sale, and I can say that this is probably the best way to start your career in a pharmacy field. Never have thought that Pharmacy could be such a good business

Chase Brandon Carter
01-09-2020, 02:59 AM
yes, of course

MyBag555
03-13-2020, 02:35 AM
When someone starts a company, money is a big part of the "why." It can be the driving force for the company. The thing that has to be the business value. If you don't like what you're doing you can't become successful.

swipka777
11-25-2020, 10:01 AM
I really like to follow different interesting businesses and it is a pretty good opportunity to make additional cash. I also own a clothing business but sometimes it is pretty interesting to follow https://jogo-vulkanvegas.com/ which is a pretty good idea to make money online.

Lolita
11-26-2020, 07:36 AM
noo, thanks

lishmaliny
03-30-2021, 04:11 AM
This depends on how you earn money - working alone or working with a group; working for many clients or too few clients who pay you well.