PDA

View Full Version : when hiring new employee - do you consider checking his FB account?

owesem75
02-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Hello, I know checking someone's FB without his permission can be considered an invasion of privacy. However, I believe FB profile can represents the over all personality of anyone - do you or will you consider checking his FB page (with permission of course) as part of your recruitment process?

lifeliveson
02-03-2014, 06:16 PM
I know allot of employers who do... That's why I try to be careful what I post.. Especially if it had anything to do with going out or drinking or anything

midynamics
02-03-2014, 07:06 PM
You see a person is not as good as his Facebook account shows or not as bad as his wife believes ;)

KNH
02-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Probably. People should know better than to post immature/inappropriate things by now. If the Facebook profile is public I'm not concerned about an expectation of privacy :wink:

AlecD
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Realistically, yes you should check their Facebook accounts and make it a mandatory part of the application process. My belief behind this is that, while yes it is somewhat of an invasion of privacy, you need to acknowledge that once hired they are an entity of your company. A representative, more or less, and they reflect positively or negatively the publics view of your company. As an example, have you ever stopped going to a business on account of seeing the behavior of one their employees while they are off the clock? Sure they aren't getting paid to endorse your company while off the clock, but they can very easily lose you clientele. All-in-all, yes. It is very much worth it to check a prospective employee's Facebook page for an insight into their behavior, not only on the clock, but off of it also.

fredkawig
02-04-2014, 02:24 AM
Now that you've mentioned it, That is a pretty good way to check whether or not the person is qualified for the job. Not only the qualifications but you can see by his posts if he has any, the way the person is or the attitude that He has. The post in his Facebook profile shows his interests, beliefs and other attitudes that you don't normally see in the actual workplace. And it would be best to have a head start in knowing your employees before it's too late.

gHiros
02-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Hello, I know checking someone's FB without his permission can be considered an invasion of privacy. However, I believe FB profile can represents the over all personality of anyone - do you or will you consider checking his FB page (with permission of course) as part of your recruitment process?

I know many employers check up on prospective job applicants via the web, such as FaceBook, to assist with the hiring process. That said, it's just prudent to not post offensive material on a FB page, such as a picture of that individual totally drunk and naked, or references to drug use or the heavy consumption of liquor. Bottom line, public information is public information. So based on such offensive info from the FB page, employers can/should reject that individual's job application.

delusional
02-04-2014, 06:36 AM
I do because I work in the IT field of business. If someone is not even able to secure their account, they are not worthy of working for me. I might ask them about it to see what they have to say about it but this day and age, everyone should be very cautious about online privacy.

alec
02-04-2014, 07:37 AM
No, I would not check or make it a requirement for hiring. It's not about privacy or other reasons, if it's on facebook it's not private anyway, but because I won't risk loosing a potential good employee over some not so flattering pictures from his or her weekend. I'm knowledgeable enough to check the person thoroughly during the hiring process, and if the job is performed as required why should I worry about elements of personal life?

We also have to keep in mind that the hiring process has become too convoluted as it is, with checks and plenty of interviews or requirements, why add one more layer of complication in the process by checking facebook? And soon, as the kids grow up and become responsible adults/employees, think of all the things we'll find about them that are not relevant anymore.

Andy1982
02-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Seems to be done thing now and to be honest it makes me cringe that people actually do this. I mean what do they expect to find out really? That someone likes to go for a drink and post their status saying they live inside a box; To me that shows a sense of humour. I'm not a big FB fan anyhow and twitter would be more my thing - I'm very aware of what I say and just resist the urge.

AlecD
02-04-2014, 12:46 PM
No, I would not check or make it a requirement for hiring. It's not about privacy or other reasons, if it's on facebook it's not private anyway, but because I won't risk loosing a potential good employee over some not so flattering pictures from his or her weekend. I'm knowledgeable enough to check the person thoroughly during the hiring process, and if the job is performed as required why should I worry about elements of personal life?

We also have to keep in mind that the hiring process has become too convoluted as it is, with checks and plenty of interviews or requirements, why add one more layer of complication in the process by checking facebook? And soon, as the kids grow up and become responsible adults/employees, think of all the things we'll find about them that are not relevant anymore.

Nice name. But please refer to my aforementioned point. Your customer's view your employee's as a representative of your business. And it would be very helpfully insightful to get a MUCH better idea of how they act outside of the work place through viewing their FB. Don't just shoot down the idea, you never know what you could find and it's wrong of you to shoot yourself in the foot over something you definitely could have saved money on by hiring someone else. Plus you have to keep in mind that longevity in the workplace is far far much less of a thing nowadays then it has been in the past. Employee's are ALWAYS switching hands. I don't know. Try it for yourself some time. You'd really be amazed.

hillaryNC
02-04-2014, 12:51 PM
I personally think it's a great idea. Obviously, don't dig too much and judge them on things they may have done like 5 years ago, but definitely look at their recent stuff. If they don't have their profile private they obviously don't care who looks at their stuff! Although a lot of people participate in things that might not respected, you have to make sure you don't judge the person by what they believe, (Example if you are a christian and this guy you are going to hire likes to have a drink) It's socially accepted so you need to be careful with stuff like that. But if you want someone reliable and all this person seems to do is drink three days of the weekend then maybe this person isn't the best for you!

Taru
02-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Yes I would, and I wouldn't even consider it an invasion of privacy. I think we take advantage where we can get it, and since it's an available feature it would be wise to use it, in my opinion. It's not like people expect FB to be that private anyway, and furthermore, if they were to join my company then their public behavior would totally be my concern. I would not want to hire someone only to find out that they talk terribly online which then would reflect on my company, and by then it might be too late and my name would be tarnished. That's just my opinion on it, anyway.

DomDom
02-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Yes I would, and I wouldn't even consider it an invasion of privacy. I think we take advantage where we can get it, and since it's an available feature it would be wise to use it, in my opinion. It's not like people expect FB to be that private anyway, and furthermore, if they were to join my company then their public behavior would totally be my concern. I would not want to hire someone only to find out that they talk terribly online which then would reflect on my company, and by then it might be too late and my name would be tarnished. That's just my opinion on it, anyway.

Completely agreed. I must be honest and say I really care about my business in the first place and the employees privacy in the second. I will take any source of information and check it out because my employee might be in charge of things important in my business. Why risk it ?

owesem75
02-04-2014, 04:15 PM
wow! so many response and it seems that YES (to check) is gaining a lot of support and I can read so many good points in their reasoning. On the other hand, the NO (not to check) vote despite small in numbers has presented a very good argument and I am sure many HR experts would intervene. When I say HR, I mean Human Resources experts and not HUMAN RIGHTS watchdog... LOL.

AlecD
02-05-2014, 11:50 AM
wow! so many response and it seems that YES (to check) is gaining a lot of support and I can read so many good points in their reasoning. On the other hand, the NO (not to check) vote despite small in numbers has presented a very good argument and I am sure many HR experts would intervene. When I say HR, I mean Human Resources experts and not HUMAN RIGHTS watchdog... LOL.

But their points are invalid! You can't tell me that someone's FB page isn't an accurate gauage of someone as an employee and representative of their company. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have a FB page to represent themselves on the Internet! (;

sdsnook
02-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Checking any online social networking site or blog or personal website is not an invasion of privacy. If you have the sense to put yourself out there, then you must have the ability to acknowledge that anything you put on the Internet is ready and available to either the general public, advanced technically inclined individuals, or the government. It should reflect who you are in every sense. If you are ashamed of your online doings.... perhaps you should stop doing it! I personally like to be transparent.... dirty laundry and all! However, above all else do not trade your professional or personal Integrity. It may just cost you an opportunity you would have been perfect for!

mikelouis
02-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Personally, I would be happy if my employer is snooping around my personal life. FB account has a lot of personal information which I alone should access. Remember, most companies normally have most social media accounts blocked from their office internet. This just shows how the social media networks are irrelevant to most companies when hiring a person.

Jimmyjazz1976
02-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I feel like most people now a days should assume that an employer will try to check their social media profiles. Everyone has an online identity these days, so its not out of the ordinary for an employer, who will be placing trust in this worker, check out their FB page. It might give a little bit more of a personal look at the lifestyle and interests of the employee, but i also feel that it could be crossing the line a bit. Either way, probably not a good idea to post bad things on facebook if your looking for a new job!

oregano
02-12-2014, 11:19 PM
I agree that these days, you should expect a prospective employer to check your social media profiles as part of their due diligence on a person who might be working in their organization. This is public information, after all. It's like a preliminary reference check that in many ways makes if easier for an employer to screen candidates before even meeting them. However there is always a danger that the person doing the screening could be too easily put off by seeing information or behavior that he disagrees with, and the company could miss out on hiring an otherwise suitable candidate.

So it's best to keep your Facebook and other social media accounts "clean" if you're looking for a job. Some people don't think about the fact that employers might "friend" you on FB, or have someone else do it, in order to access your "exclusive" information, so beware!

CSomm
02-13-2014, 12:14 PM
I think it is wise to gather any data that a potential employee has made readily available to the public. This is information that everyone can access, and that potential clients might check to learn more about employees within your company. It's not too much to ask of your employees that they be a reasonable ambassador for your company even while off the clock. I think discretion is important, here, because you shouldn't make first impressions based on a Facebook profile. Profiles are not always an accurate depiction of a person's life---typically, they are an aggrandized version of what they want to project onto the world. Useful, but not accurate. It is only important that they won't make your company look unprofessional to prospective clients.

LonerWolf
02-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Never! To me that is a rude violation of the person's space and own life.. What does it have to do with me? He/she can be whoever he/she likes in her life. The only thing I care about is how that person works and does he bring results.

DomDom
02-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Never! To me that is a rude violation of the person's space and own life.. What does it have to do with me? He/she can be whoever he/she likes in her life. The only thing I care about is how that person works and does he bring results.

I dont agree with this. I think it has alot to do with you. From their FB account you can learn alot of things about a person which can help you in your evaluation. Its not fair but its what you have to do!

CeliVega
02-14-2014, 04:36 AM
I got a friend who got fired because he said something nasty about his boss on facebook. He didn't actually check who is on his friends' list I guess. Which is why I think it's important to minimize and mention nothing about your job, company, or boss at all to ensure safety.

DomDom
02-14-2014, 12:36 PM
I got a friend who got fired because he said something nasty about his boss on facebook. He didn't actually check who is on his friends' list I guess. Which is why I think it's important to minimize and mention nothing about your job, company, or boss at all to ensure safety.

I think the best thing is simply not to share your FB info with anybody on your jobs. Nobody needs to know you have it if you want to have privacy.

crimsonghost747
02-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Yes, I would check their FB profile. It wouldn't be a big issue though, I would be completely fine with an employee who likes to have a couple of drinks as long as it doesn't have any effect on his work performance. But I would still do it, it's one form of research and shouldn't be disregarded.

dannyboy
02-16-2014, 01:56 PM
I do not really do that. I will feel like that would be going too far in terms of invading that person's privacy. I always do a background check on every employee that i am looking to hire and that is good enough for me.

dannyboy
02-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Correct. I do not care what a person does on Social Media as long as what they do is not going to compromise their work for me or the image of my business in a negative way.

DomDom
02-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Correct. I do not care what a person does on Social Media as long as what they do is not going to compromise their work for me or the image of my business in a negative way.

Thats the thing, you can generally get a feel for the person through their FB. If i see alot of drama, stupidity and irresponsibility, how can I expect anythign different on the job ?

SmartPea85
02-18-2014, 12:57 PM
I think it's a good idea to check out someone's Facebook when considering them for a hire. I don't believe it's an invasion of privacy, especially if their page is not set on private. Facebook is not a personal diary, it's a page open to the public and people should know that when your post anything on the internet it is open to the world. Taking a peek into someone's life away from the prepared interview may give you a good idea what they are really like and help you decide if they are the kind of person you want working at your business. I have heard banks and loan agencies are even checking into Facebook as part of the credit checking process! Facebook is the new background check, so I agree be careful what you post! It could be the difference between getting a job and not.

Rainman
02-19-2014, 03:05 AM
It's not like everyone is on FB. What if you're not on FB, would saying that make your likely employer question your honesty and indirectly affect your chances of getting hired?

p.s It's not that FB doesn't count. I got my first job because I mentioned on an FB status update that I was. . ."X" [X referring to what I was qualified to do].

jubvman
02-19-2014, 04:13 AM

The text that I bolded is the reason why I would check someone's social media account. Once you hire someone, that person represents your business, you need to be careful in that respect. Also, it's only a violation of the person's space and own life if they have there profile set to private.

basmae
02-19-2014, 04:22 AM

I know that I and a lot of other large businesses do this and sometime facebook is a big determiner of whether the person gets the job or not. It's kind of scary when you think about it and it makes you think a hundred times before you actually post anything on any media site. I know people who have been fired over something that they said of facebook and kids to that have been suspended from school.

autograph
02-19-2014, 09:09 AM
It is usually only for formality. I do ask for their permission that I am going to conduct a general check of their Facebook account. More often than not, how they act in social networking site reveals more characters about an individual compared to the interview process itself. As long as they do not post any indecent stuffs that I feel could affect his performance later on, I would let it slide. I do know some employers who take Facebook accounts very seriously though, it would be best to control whatever you want to post in social networking sites.

Nerohs
02-20-2014, 10:01 PM

Strongly believe in what you said there Alec. The hiring process is already an extremely staged process. With one interview two interview and then a demo and then the decision to hire. Things that won't really effect the performance of the employee should not really be worried about during the hiring. What my employees choose to do outside of work is their business, but if they fail to perform or I suspect that they are under the influence during the job, its as easy to just fire him/her.

jptrey06
02-21-2014, 11:55 AM
No, people act different at work and if their just with friends and family. Their personal behavior have nothing to do with their professional behavior. Like what Alec and Nerohs said, Im not going to risk losing a potential talent just because they like to have fun in their personal life. If they're not doing so good with what they're doing whatever his reason is, then that only means they dont deserve the position and I can replace him whenever I want.

MrLuke
02-21-2014, 12:18 PM
When I worked a little time at a newsagents, I would have hated it if I had been judged due to my facebook account. It sounds stupid, I know, but there was a lot of people looking to get that job, and the owner was strict on who got it. I think that private lives are not a good way to judge someones personality.

stacyje
02-21-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't agree, I think that a person personal business is that of their own, I mean sometimes certain things get tag to people pages and it not their fault. Moments on face book are just for social and having fun. Judging a person by this type of way is pre- judging one because of what you see. I say sometimes you see some of the finest lawyer and doctors at bars cause that their personal moments and business but does not mean they are not great doctors. I think this is a little to far.

mameeker@cuse
02-21-2014, 02:23 PM
In this modern age I would consider a Facebook profile that is not private public knowledge about someone. As such I feel it is an employers duty to check all available public knowledge about a potential employee, job position dependent. With this in mind potential job seekers should be mindful of what they attach their name to on the internet.

sofieb529
02-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Checking someone's Facebook profile is not an invasion of privacy! Its become quite routine for companies to look at a prospective employee's social media presence. If the person has a PUBLIC account then they have made a decision to share themselves online. I think its an excellent way to get more insight on a person, especially for getting a feel for their personality. 'Personality' doesn't always come through on a resume!

Kteabc
02-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Owning a business in a small town has its advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is finding employees through social media. Most of the positions are outdoors in the heat and require no skills except endurance and the ability to talk to customers who already want what you are selling.
Also after many years in the business you get to know your employees, past and present, plus the small town chatter is unavoidable. So checking a Facebook or other social media site of a potential new hire is something we most certainly do but not always.

M.K
02-22-2014, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't, because I don't really care what somebody does in his/her free time. I feel like I can spot bad seeds and I trust my own judgement through the interview process. If they're good employees and don't cause any problems, I don't see the need to investigate their personal or social lives.

gadgetised
02-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Why not? Check their online presence to get a good idea of who they are. Facebook and Twitter are great ways to find out information you might not otherwise know. A potential employee could be a total racist on Twitter. Who wants to hire that person?

jptrey06
02-23-2014, 04:43 AM
The text that I bolded is the reason why I would check someone's social media account. Once you hire someone, that person represents your business, you need to be careful in that respect. Also, it's only a violation of the person's space and own life if they have there profile set to private.

If their profile is set on private then you wont be able to see anything at all, other than his/her profile picture.

You wont be able to see her post, his silly pics and all those other stuff.

Gmac9100
02-23-2014, 07:17 AM
As an employee i would find that ridiculously intrusive, and unethical. As an employer i would definitely do it. Checking an employees Facebook page would be a good way to get a feel for their real character. It really depends on who you are in the scenario. I can see both sides of this issue. I would understand if a potential employee is upset that his, or her employer factored their Facebook page in the hiring decision. I can also understand why an employer would do that. The simple solution is to make your Facebook profile private. LoL

owesem75
02-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Good point you got there.. there is also a saying.. "what you don't know won't hurt you..." - since anything you post on your facebooks becomes available to the public (that is if your account is unsecured), then in the point of view of an employer, we can check it just to probe our candidate and not necessarily letting him/her know about it so you avoid offending him/her.

sofieb529
02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Over All, it shows personality. If you want someone whose very professional and available to you at all times- them having loads of pictures of them drinking and partying isn't going to be very appealing. People should really be careful of what they post online and the personality they are portraying. Depending on the company some might care more than others. For me, I need that outgoing personality to sell my food at events so i would be able to tell from those pictures how shy or not that person is.

DomDom
02-23-2014, 04:01 PM
As an employee i would find that ridiculously intrusive, and unethical. As an employer i would definitely do it. Checking an employees Facebook page would be a good way to get a feel for their real character. It really depends on who you are in the scenario. I can see both sides of this issue. I would understand if a potential employee is upset that his, or her employer factored their Facebook page in the hiring decision. I can also understand why an employer would do that. The simple solution is to make your Facebook profile private. LoL

haha this is so true. Its easy to say unethical and things like that. But when you get into the situation you would definitively check your employee because you are basically investing your money in his skills.

darelle4
02-25-2014, 10:08 AM
When a person submits an application for a new job does the person state their honest values and personalities? When a business owner sends out their job offer they have already set their expectations and standards so at that very moment what they need is information of that applicant to see if they are a fit candidate and where else would they openly get the information straight out of the mouth of the individual. It is obvious that they need to access the person's Facebook account in order to know the personality of the individual because most people speak their mind and heart on Facebook. I don't see anything wrong with an employer investigating an individual by viewing their social accounts because at the end of it all they have to look for what is best for their business.

Lostvalleyguy
02-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Facebook, Twitter, criminal record checks, credit reports etc. are all used to collect information about potential employees. If a job requires a certain amount of professionalism and discretion a Facebook check probably makes a lot of sense. In most cases, however, employers are crossing the line (in my mind) when doing many of these checks. A potential employee would be foolish to be out hunting for a position and not cleaning up their on-line footprint or at least checking it for appropriateness.

robotx
03-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Personally, I would not agree with checking out a persons facebook profile. Though I understand that this is a common practice, I see it as an invasion of privacy. To me, a person's facebook page equals their personal life and should be off limits to scrutiny. As long as an emloyee can perform their on the job duties, I don't care what they do on their own time.

03-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Perhaps. This also stands the risk of driving good employees away. Some companies demand Facebook access, as in both username and password, from new employees. I view that as not only a breech of privacy but it is also a breech of Facebook's user agreement.

RickGrantham
03-02-2014, 09:51 PM
I don't check their FB account. But I definitely check their LinkedIN account. I do that before I even interview them.

Rick

bonnieanna1986
03-03-2014, 05:41 AM
One of the important things that was reinforced in the business classes I've taken so far is how important it is to keep social media profiles professional since more than likely employers will sift through them at some point. Even if this isn't always the case, an employee's bad behavior can have dramatic repercussions on their place of work. Especially in this day and age when news travels so fast.

danderson239
03-03-2014, 07:35 AM
I do because I work in the IT field of business. If someone is not even able to secure their account, they are not worthy of working for me. I might ask them about it to see what they have to say about it but this day and age, everyone should be very cautious about online privacy.

The above may be an acceptable example, because it really is job related. I wouldn't recommend it for non-IT recruitments. Beyond the privacy issues, you're increasing your risk of a discrimination lawsuit. A Facebook profile shows you religion, national origin, race, medical conditions (i.e. posts about pregnancy or cancer), etc. If someone claims you didn't hire them because of any of the above, you aren't helping your defense case by having the person's Facebook page show up in your search history.

Eagles910
03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
I think an employer should definitely check a potential employees Facebook page. Why not? The information is public, there will be no laws violated. The employer would be doing something that anyone with a computer, or Smart Phone could do. I do not see the problem Checking someones Facebook page is perfectly legal, and justifiable.

janineaa
03-05-2014, 09:42 AM
It's normal for employers to check Facebook accounts of candidates applying. Or a simpler way to do research is to just google their name. You will be able to see all the accounts they have on social media and most of what they post, if it's public. I don't think there is an invasion of privacy if privacy settings are public in the first place. Advice for people looking for jobs is to be careful of what they post, when they are out drinking and having a good time, so the employers don't get turned off.

wander_n_wonder
03-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Maybe I will look but I would not base my full judgement solely on what I find on Facebook. Facebook is a social site and people are usually very relaxed when using it. They may say something which should not really be taken seriously or professionally. Although I will get to know the person better, it still won't tell me much how he would actually perform at work.

pr0xx1d
03-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Honestly I tend to side with the idea that personal life and work life should be separated. However, if they are sketchy, I would seriously recommend it before hiring them. Basing someone's personality off of what they post on the internet is not only childish, but ignorant.

nick87
03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Nope. The way a person presents themselves on facebook is usually the way they present themselves to friends as opposed to how they present themselves professionally. I know a lot of people who will go out, party, have pictures of them wasted on their facebooks, have status updates about stupid things, etc., but when it comes to work, they're professional, respectful, and get their work done. You don't expect someone to act the same at their job as they do with their friends, and if you want to see how they'll act as an employee, linkedin is better to check out.

idlecuriosities
03-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Maybe I will look but I would not base my full judgement solely on what I find on Facebook. Facebook is a social site and people are usually very relaxed when using it. They may say something which should not really be taken seriously or professionally. Although I will get to know the person better, it still won't tell me much how he would actually perform at work.

I'm in strong agreement with this statement. Obviously judging someone 100% on their Facebook account isn't a great practice. People interact differently there than they do in real life. That being said, I think it is something to consider when looking at the whole package that a employee offers. It is just one factor of many in my eyes.

bingaguilar
03-25-2014, 05:50 AM
I think it's just about common practice nowadays for employers to check on an applicant's FB account. I don't think it's an invasion of privacy since FB profiles are more or less for "public" consumption. I mean, if you really want to keep your life private, don't create an account on FB! :D Just don't believe everything you see or read in there. Just as some are too careless in posting very private matters, others do it intentionally to build up their image or present a false persona.

Jane Hastings
03-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Checking someone's FB account seems to be normal now. Employers check their FB accounts to get to know them better and make sure they deserve to be hired or not. But now though, people make their accounts private when they know they are being watched. We should all be aware of what we say online and offline.

ElvisPresley
03-30-2014, 09:18 PM
No.I wouldn't. Someone's Facebook account is their own personal property, it doesn't concern me. I know a lot of employers do this nowadays, but I wouldn't feel right doing so. And if their smart they're probably going to make it look good anyway, for however long they're applying for jobs, so what's the use?

Ridge Hatrick
04-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Many employers will look at someones Facebook page to try to get a handle on their personality, but it's not even close to the right way to go about things unless the job specifically NEEDS a certain personality type.

I joke around a lot with friends and family on facebook, and often it's inappropriate in some way or another, but that's my personal life. I have special friendships with those people and there are reasons those jokes ARE appropriate at that time. It does not, however flow into my work, nor does it effect my efficiency, nor my work quality.

It's a poor assumption to think that someone isn't worth hiring because, in their personal life, they live a certain way. Some of the greatest minds of any century would have been spurned because of a personal web page (assuming their existence at the time), because people try to judge off of incorrect situations. The world is about context, not snooping into someones privacy.

Hiring should be done based on someones ability in that job, and their ability to adhere to the strictures that job presents to them. Personal life is the time that you let loose and enjoy yourself, since so often in life, we find that our jobs keep us from being ourselves for the sake of appearances.

Bryan Cassidy
04-03-2014, 01:01 PM
When evaluating employees I used to check their linkedin profiles. If they didn't have one then it told me they didn't do enough research to understand how networking works these days. If they had a professional profile that was well filled out it was a definite plus. One kid had a picture of him at a fraternity party and showed a clear lack of judgment. You can learn a lot about people by how they choose to be perceived.

Railan
04-03-2014, 02:06 PM
If their facebook profile is public, they might be careless. If they have carefully selected what they want you to see... Well, that gives you information too. If it's public, I'd say it's right to look it up. However, keep an open mind and remember how would you be judged based on your facebook page!

AB9100
04-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Yes. When considering hiring an employee i would check his/her Facebook account.

Why not? Facebook is public information. It is not illegal. You would be viewing information that anyone with internet access can see. As an employer you should take every precaution you can to ensure that you are hiring an employee with a good character.

If someone does not want that information to be seen. They should not post it on Facebook. That much should be obvious.

sweetkymom
04-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Checking someone's Facebook page should not even be allowed on a hiring process. What's been said or posted should be of mooned business except the people they are friends with. Why should a potential employer be allowed to access private property when it does not pertain to them? This would be non sense to me.

HeinrichM
04-04-2014, 03:33 AM
FB accounts can provide some insight into the social life, personality and behaviour of people. If the employee allows you to have a look, it is not a bad idea. When an employee does not want to allow you to take a look. the alarm bells will start to go off. So either way it is a good idea to have a look.

Saman
05-15-2014, 05:07 AM
This is unethical even employee gives you permission to do so

Resource9
05-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Yes. I was on an hiring event with one of my friends and when we interviewed people we also checked their Facebook and LinkedIn accounts. This gives a better insight about the character and lifestyle of that person.

waynebruce1411
06-19-2014, 06:43 AM
How important it has become in todays world to maintain high quality facebook and linkdin profile and does it help at the time of interview.

someshets
06-25-2014, 07:32 AM
no i am not

someshets
07-08-2014, 07:15 AM
I do not. because fb comes under personal things, where he can do anything personal which he wants to do

andybrowne
07-14-2014, 05:58 AM
When hiring a new employee . You should check his/her LinkedIn profile rather than Facebook. Because his professional expertise are more important for you organization then personnel life on Facebook

Laurenity
07-22-2014, 03:06 AM
You can identify easily what kind of person they are it depend on posting picture..but other people know how to hide their account so you never view if your not seem connected.

jesslee
07-22-2014, 11:57 PM
When hiring a new employee . You should check his/her LinkedIn profile rather than Facebook. Because his professional expertise are more important for you organization then personnel life on Facebook

I agree , Checking facebook account is not very important because some persons show their different image on facebook and it is personal. There is a need to check professional background instead of personal.

Resource9
07-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Yes I would do that. Because a Facebook profile speaks a lot about the person, his / her likes/ dislikes etc.

forumsite
08-03-2014, 11:40 PM
No, information provided can be fake.

MahaKarthi
09-19-2014, 05:26 AM
I completely disagree with checking FB/any social media profile and then deciding whether to recruit or not. Personal life is completely different from professional life. In my work place I can see many people such, their likes and dislikes will never reflect on work culture. A thorough Background check is a better option professionally.

Jschultz
09-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Just yesterday I received 13 resumes for possible internships. The first one I picked up was a no go. The first thing I did was go to Facebook. The first three photo's I saw on their page were: a bottle of Jack Daniels, a gun and a fighting pit bull. Obviously I had no intention of interviewing all 13. So eliminating this one was an easy choice.

tim88
10-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Of course there's no harm in it. It visualizes the employee's attitude and nature. It will be useful for the conduct of behavior.

Sarah - Dufferin Media
10-29-2014, 06:11 AM
Yes. If their profile is on Facebook, and it is public, absolutely.

transasianews
10-31-2014, 04:20 AM
We can't predict the personality of an employee by seeing their Fb account, and its a complete illegal activity that accessing someone's account without their permission

Accountingpayroll
11-30-2014, 11:34 PM
I think it is not a good practice at all before hiring check FB account
It personal and job id like professional.

mheidee
11-19-2017, 10:52 AM
https://www.smallbusinessforums.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=11863

mheidee
11-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Need a NEW Website for your Business?
Create Your Website in Minutes with the Easiest Website Builder online! Start now, Free Trial at: https://www.webbiy.com/

TheDogLine
11-20-2017, 01:57 AM
Some industry requires a Facebook Check to see the personality of a person you are about to hire. With their permission, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Zkivanova
12-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Hey, I am about to launch my travel agency and I am looking to hire help and I want to do background check. Any advice on where to do it?

emilygilbert
03-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Hi delusional's,
I totally agree with your point. I am also in the IT profession and I will definitely check the facebook account of the person to check their security concerns.
Security is too much important in the IT field.
Thanks!!

dpkmlm
08-04-2018, 05:20 AM
yes i always do, how much he/she is active on their social accounts..

outsourcingangel
08-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Agree here checking his FB account !

srinuvasu
09-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Every employer does that to check the personality of the person. but we cannot judge them by seeing that. ability depends on his skills. in my company we dont judge like that :) .

AvaNoAh7
09-07-2018, 12:42 AM
Hi Everyone .....................!
No We don't have to check FB account because FB didn't show his/her real personality.
Thanks..............

deanwinchester1
09-13-2018, 12:27 AM
According to a new national survey conducted online on behalf of CareerBuilder by Harris Poll, 70 percent of employers use social media to screen candidates before hiring. This is up significantly from 60 percent last year and 11 percent in 2006.

sandeepanivishwa
09-14-2018, 07:26 AM
No, this is totally insane. Why do you need to check someone's FB profile for recruitment. It is their private thing and you cannot expect them to be as how thye appear on social media. I would suggest checking their LinkedIn profile instead, for studying the professional background.

Group-Management-Services
03-01-2019, 12:50 PM
Hello, we think maybe we can help with some answers to your questions. Check out these tips on what to look for on a potential employee's social media https://www.groupmgmt.com/blog/post/2016/02/23/What-to-Look-for-in-a-Potential-Employees-Social-Media-Profiles.aspx?utm_source=small%20business%20forum&utm_medium=referral

alexenderthomas
03-04-2019, 02:27 AM
Numerous businesses lead proficient record verifications on potential representatives before choosing whether to employ them. Notwithstanding, a few managers may likewise examine a potential representative's web based life profiles, for example, a Facebook page. As a rule, a business can possibly see your private Facebook page on the off chance that you permit it.

mdmahoon
03-05-2019, 12:28 AM
There are things you can do on Twitter or Facebook that can entirely your odds of work. Use it as a chance to emerge decidedly and exhibit your identity. Truth be told, in excess of 44 percent of businesses have discovered substance on a person to person communication site that made them procure the competitor.

adamwayne1
03-08-2019, 01:13 AM
Numerous businesses lead proficient individual verifications on potential workers before choosing whether to contract them. Be that as it may, a few bosses may likewise explore a potential representative's online networking profiles, for example, a Facebook page. As a rule, a business can possibly see your private Facebook page on the off chance that you permit it.

deanwinchester2
04-08-2019, 06:11 AM
Facebook Profiling. Employers can and do check out potential employees' Facebook profiles if they can get access to them. Some 56 percent of employers said they were likely to look at the social media presence of potential employees before hiring them, according to a study from British business psychology firm OPP.

joesimen
04-24-2019, 04:25 AM
we are the best mobile app development companies in manchester (https://dxminds.com/top-mobile-app-development-company-in-manchester-cambridge-london-uk/) who have hired mobile app developers

adamwayne
05-04-2019, 04:18 AM
Employers can and do check out potential employees' Facebook profiles if they can get access to them. Some 56 percent of employers said they were likely to look at the social media presence of potential employees before hiring them, according to a study from British business psychology firm OPP.

adamwayne
05-08-2019, 02:40 AM
Employers can and do check out potential employees' Facebook profiles if they can get access to them. Some 56 percent of employers said they were likely to look at the social media presence of potential employees before hiring them, according to a study from British business psychology firm OPP.

abdulkaddir
05-13-2019, 12:37 AM
I don't think so there is a need for it.