PDA

View Full Version : Would you outsource overseas?

oregano
02-04-2014, 12:28 PM
A lot of small businesses these days outsource certain functions such as telemarketing, writing, social media, web design, various admin and VA jobs, etc. either routinely or on an ad-hoc basis. If you currently use outsource workers or plan to do so, do you have an opinion about whether these people are based in your own country or not (assuming an adequate level of English)?

In other words, would you justify paying a higher hourly or job-based fee if you can keeping the jobs "at home", or are you happy to employ someone at a lower price as long as they can do the task well - even if they are in a country such as the Philippines or India and not your own country?

cassylexandra
02-06-2014, 09:14 PM
I don't use programs where there are freelancers or microtask workers that do those functions for my business. However, I would appreciate someone who is very skilled in both the field and language. I really wouldn't mind the language, but I think my customers would be more comfortable if I did, so I would say yes, I would pay a higher job fee if it isn't too high. If it is, I might as well step in and have those programs work on another field that they are able to fulfill effectively.

Auror
02-06-2014, 09:50 PM
In other words, would you justify paying a higher hourly or job-based fee if you can keeping the jobs "at home", or are you happy to employ someone at a lower price as long as they can do the task well - even if they are in a country such as the Philippines or India and not your own country?
The business process outsourcing (BPO) industry is booming which means that a lot of businesses embrace this. Philippines and India are two countries with a lot of workers who offer outsourcing services to other companies and individuals abroad. Their low cost and dedication to work is what makes them a hit. One of the biggest firms in the BPO industry is Accenture and their revenues are skyrocketing.

If I were to choose, then I would rather outsource work to cheaper laborers rather than get an individual to do the same work at a higher rate.

Taru
02-12-2014, 02:07 PM
I definitely would and I probably have in the short span of time that I've been hiring online for a few jobs that I hired online for such as article writing and graphic work. I don't really see much of a problem with hiring overseas especially if it's as convenient as the methods we have now. I would only be against it if I thought that it would be at the expense of the quality of service or the product I sell which will therefore affect my sales. Otherwise, I don't see much difference with it when compared to other business decisions, in that it's mostly just based on what gains I can achieve compared to the disadvantages.

DomDom
02-12-2014, 03:44 PM
I also would do this. The main thing for me is are these people good enough to do the taskts? If they are I dont think I would care too much. Profitability is number one.

Rainman
02-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Because most contractors don't get paid much, they deliberately do work that's not as good as they would have done if they got fair renumeration. Because of that, I would outsource only the sort of work that requires a lot of time to complete but needs no special skills to complete. Something like getting FB likes, bookmarking my web-pages. . .basically, the part of promoting a website that's time-consuming.

mikelouis
02-13-2014, 08:53 AM
It will depend on the task you need accomplished. Either you outsource or employ, sometimes it might be cheap and sometimes expensive. The only problem with outsourcing, the person might not be able to complete the task on time and decide not to show up any more leading to many inconveniences.

pahagwl
02-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Outsourcing has been a very controversial topic in recent times. The major benefit of outsourcing is that it allows the company to focus on core activities and also saves the company costs which are involved in setting up a department for the required work. It is also advantageous to an enterprise because the work can be outsourced to a company which has specialization in the field. But people in the developed countries have been very vocal about outsourcing of jobs because it has led to the increase in the level of unemployment in their country. As a right-wing fundamentalist, I am in the favor of outsourcing jobs due to a couple of reasons. Firstly, It promotes competition thereby increasing efficiency. Secondly, it lets the market forces of demand and supply interact and set the price accordingly.

PotterM
02-13-2014, 10:32 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. My worry is that when outsourcing you may not have workers that have a good enough grasp of English, thus getting inferior quality work. I think you would have to choose very carefully because what appears cheaper at first may end up costing you more in the long run. By this I mean you may end up having to have the work done again locally because the quality wasn't good enough. I also think where possible it's good to support local workers. It's a difficult decision for me, as of course profit is one of the main goals.

delusional
02-13-2014, 11:29 AM
If it is a job that can be outsourced without losing quality, I wouldn't hesitate. I wouldn't fire people that were doing the job before. I have nothing against outsourcing. Businesses need to make money and if that is what it takes...

MLeoCasas
02-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Though I do consider myself to be business-oriented, and I do appreciate the natural market balance of supply and demand, I have to ay I think there is a question of ethics in this. Yes, of course profitability and quality of service are vital factors you should concern yourself with during any transaction, that's just being a good business man. But what about being a good human being? Many of the organizations we outsource to can offer such cheap services because they are grossly underpaying and mistreating their labor force. Please don't misunderstand me, if I can get a cheaper deal internationally then I will take it, but not at the cost of common decency. Always research the agents you do business with.

SmartPea85
02-18-2014, 01:22 PM
I do not believe outsourcing to other countries is a good idea. Perhaps it is easier and cheaper, but there are millions of people in our own country who are our of work who would be more than willing to be trained and do an excellent job at telemarketing, social media and web design. And cheaper doesn't mean better. We have kids coming out of colleges right now with the latest training and advanced skills in these areas who cannot find a job because companies are outsourcing! Why not give them the opportunity? Your business will benefit, you will be helping someone who needs the work and the pay, and you will be boosting our own country's economy and keeping our working class working! It's win-win!

M.K
02-18-2014, 07:01 PM
As long as they are competent, why not? There are often language issues to deal with, but depending on the tasks being outsourced it can be extremely cost-effective. On a larger scale business, one can consider delegating all overseas employee relations to somebody with experience therein to lessen the headache of having to deal with it themselves.

Radium
02-20-2014, 11:50 AM
As others have said as long as I can keep the same quality, outsourcing can be very useful and in some cases critical for remaining competitive. The trouble is outsourcing can often result in a subpar service or product alongside issues than can arise when you do business over long distance. As a rule of thumb you are better off outsourcing non critical areas of the business, this lets you maintain a closer watch over the key areas but lets you save money through minimizing the costs of certain aspects of the business that aren't critical to keep you going.

basmae
02-20-2014, 11:53 AM
If it is a job that can be outsourced without losing quality, I wouldn't hesitate. I wouldn't fire people that were doing the job before. I have nothing against outsourcing. Businesses need to make money and if that is what it takes...

Same here!

sofieb529
02-20-2014, 04:46 PM
I have outsourced for articles before and the quality was horrible. The price of course was amazing, almost 50% less than if I had hired somebody locally. In the end I had to spend hours of my own time correcting the work because it was totally grammatically unsound!

Nerohs
02-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Yes I would outsource as soon as possible. Outsourcing has many benefits along with many disadvantages. Sometimes the benefits out weigh the disadvantages. In my case outsourcing would prove as a great opportunity to expand because I have a dual citizenship with Brazil. I can buy clothes, extremely cheap out here in the U.S. and upsell the clothing in Brazil 3x or 4x the original amount.

alec
03-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Yes, I would outsource. The business world and the economy is connected in such subtle ways these days that money always returns one way or the other in the country of origin. By having business ties with the country you outsource your work to you're making sure they in turn invest in your country. If you look at the matter from a different angle than the one that says "we're loosing jobs, what to do, what to do?", you'll notice the return of money through investments.

owesem75
03-21-2014, 10:39 AM
I have outsourced for articles before and the quality was horrible. The price of course was amazing, almost 50% less than if I had hired somebody locally. In the end I had to spend hours of my own time correcting the work because it was totally grammatically unsound!

Outsourcing is not just about writing articles. Outsourcing also exists in animation, computer programming, graphic designs, engineering and architectural designs and many more. Perhaps, you should deal with legitimate outsourcing companies with good reputation in order to get what you need.

difrancprod
03-23-2014, 07:29 AM
I would definitely outsource it since I know it is going to fit my budget more. The labor overseas with the help of the internet is now more affordable. If you live in the US, it's so expensive to hire people. I'd rather outsource it.

SteakTartare
03-23-2014, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't, and thus far haven't, outsourced overseas. However, I have hired local staff to support a particular market. I would do so again if the amount of business from a given location necessitated said.

fredkawig
03-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Outsourcing is what most people are doing. Yes. Here in the Philippines, people are being outsourced due to their telecommunications and their ability to speak the English language fluently specially for call centers.

tinyfang
03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
I had an argument about this with my partner at one time. He wanted to outsource our tech help and customer support overseas. I wanted to help promote local business and strengthen our own economy. I told him that I am willing to earn less, to put locals to work than to earn more and deprive locals from work. He told me that isn't how a business should run and that ultimately, our goal is to make money. I told him that without a healthy local economy, our city and country suffers.

Personally, I think it is the duty of every citizen to look out for their own country, on top of their own interests. People who read and accept the Nash Equilibrium would understand what I just said there.

nick87
03-23-2014, 08:32 PM
I would. Cheaper labor means higher profit. Though, for moral reasons, I'd insist on using labor in places that have better civil rights records and better working conditions. I'm not okay with exploiting child labor overseas, nor am I okay with the companies that make people work 14+ hours per day.

eagle22
03-23-2014, 11:02 PM
I do actually outsource oversea's but it depends on what you are outsourcing. If you need certain things to be extremely high quality outsourcing overseas probably isn't a good option for you.

garfish
03-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Yes. Surely if there are some people who will work for me for cheaper and with quality still I would jump to it. In fact lots of employers will simply go to odesk and elance to outsource because its cheaper and will save them time from going through the process of hiring men which is simply not practical.

I work on odesk myself and I definitely advice employers to go and hire people in there.

mramirsking
03-26-2014, 08:11 AM
I would outsource to cheap countries to get good profits. The quality of work in the Philippines is excellent and you don't have to pay them so much. I would use outsourcing quite a lot if I had a business. There are some companies that completely outsource everything and their profits are amazing. It all depends on your own preference.

loraanna
03-26-2014, 01:13 PM
A great way to outsoure your business is to use sites like elance and odesk. You can feel good about hiring americans workers, and you can get
some things done for a very reasonable price. Also at the end of the day you won't feel bad about hiring oversees workers. No matter how you
justify it, we as americans need to hire our own workers to help grow our businesses.

ursell
03-26-2014, 05:41 PM
No I wouldn't outsource the business. Our people need work right here in the U.S. I would pay the higher pay.
Everything shouldn't be about the money. Find another way if need be.

samuel0785
08-29-2014, 05:36 AM
As I am from a company which helps people to find best software development outsourcing partners. So I would recommend outsourcing. I know there are some risk in outsourcing but we have minimized that risk as we provide verified outsourcing companies.

midynamics
08-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Outsourcing can be a two edged sword. Unless you and the employee are or the same page, have planned everything out excessively, have open lines of communication and above all a written contract with payments under escrow, this can pretty much turn out to be a nightmare.

farmerjohn1324
10-06-2014, 12:24 AM
I would go ahead and outsource. Why not? If it makes money for your business, do it. They can do the job just as well and would probably be happier for the opportunity. I heard doctors in the Philippines can barely afford a used car.

Resource9
10-07-2014, 09:41 AM
If you are confident on setting up an in-house tram for the respective work to be executed, then go ahead and don't think about outsourcing. If not, then look for best outsourcing options and move ahead with your decision.

nana
11-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Profitability is number one.

MahaKarthi
01-30-2015, 02:57 AM
It is efficient to see the companyís valuable services or their feedback from the former clients rather than seeing their location. I would definitely go for a company who actually produce a great result instead of seeing their location. Piterion is one such company which produces a great result for their clients in PLM, IT as well as Engineering services.

omdata2015
01-09-2016, 07:21 AM
There are many business tasks that we can outsource to offshore for a better services and outputs. It is proven that outsourcing gives more benefits by saving your time, energy and money in some business processing tasks. I would recommend to outsource some of business tasks like data entry, data processing, market research, online survey, data & form filling, etc. to free up some of your time.

ArgentPro
01-09-2016, 08:25 AM
I deliberately outsource overseas, near shore, where I find the talent highly skilled, the communication to a good standard, and the culture 'closer to home'. It allows me to pass on competitive costs to my suppliers. I do, however, pre-vet them all, and use them for my own marketing first to establish ways of working and a positive relationship, before giving them work from a client. I think it's great practice to outsource.

Barbarasko
01-13-2016, 05:11 AM
Outsource somebody is usually terribly tough , expecially if you source to Asian country , itís not a matter of being racist here, however when two years of attempting laborious to induce developers from there , hiring one hundred dissent developers. I jumped.to the conclusion that don't seem to be reliable and not skilled.

Singhfrancesess
03-16-2016, 10:26 AM
VA is good i think in my budget

Elgrowteam
03-29-2016, 09:21 AM
we are outsourcing overseas) thats great