PDA

View Full Version : Moving in next door to my competitor

blitzkrieg
02-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Quick background: been in business since 2008, selling labeling equipment to businesses. Very small niche market. Working from home at the moment (had an office a couple years ago), and I'm starting to outgrow my home office.

In the last 6 months I have only come across a few decent office/warehouse spaces. One of them seems perfect. Great location, plenty of room to grow, lease rates/terms are good. There's just one problem... I found out that one of my competitors is located in the same complex, only about 8 units away.

I have charted this all out logically, and of course there's nothing technically wrong with moving in so close to them. Both of us do 99% of our business online, so it's not like we're two restaurants moving in next to each other. However, there's an emotional component that is disturbing me. How will they perceive me moving in so close to them? Will they be tempted to snoop around our office or warehouse, especially in the summer when we will be working with the warehouse bay door open all day.

I'm trying to rationalize this because the space seems perfect, but I can't shake the uncomfortable feeling of moving in so close to a competitor.

Any tips, advice, smacks upside the head, are all appreciated. :cool:

caveman
02-07-2014, 06:00 AM
Hmm..
If you think that the space is perfect for you, go right ahead. Don't be intimidated by your competitor but instead, take it as a challenge. And if your competitor is low enough to come snooping around your office, tell him off straight away. I think it'll be good for your business and you might just get the push that you need. Let me know what you decide and good luck on your venture! :)

fredkawig
02-07-2014, 07:04 AM
I think competition is great specially when you can offer better products than your competitor. It could actually be a business boost as long as you attract more customers or even get customers from the other side. You shouldn't be scare or intimidated if you have a better grasp on the things you are doing. Think of it as a challenge and one which can be overcome.

Taru
02-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Unless the space will objectively offer benefits and advantages to your business such as lower cost of lease without having to sacrifice much such as extra unnecessary stress, then it would probably be alright. I've seen a lot of businesses in competition with each other that have been able to co-exist and thrive for years, but of course that's not without a few problems.

Since you've stated that the location won't exactly make or break your business, though, I think it might be best to look for another location first and only consider this current one as a backup and/or last resort. Conducting business is already stressful enough without having to worry about snooping by the competition. Ultimately, it will still have to be your decision as you will be the one to weigh how much the perceived stress would be when compared against the savings you'd get, and as long as your approach is objective, you should arrive at the best decision more or less. Good luck. :)

DomDom
02-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Dont really see a reason not to move in there. As you said you both mostly work online so its not like there will be additional competition due to local selling. Having a competitor near you and seeing them do work and enjoy succes may actually give you positive motivation! :)

Sally108
02-24-2014, 11:31 AM
My vote is ~ move in. Look at it from the other side of the coin. Not as competition, but as a future networking possibility. Anything is possible. Keep an open mind. You may need labels to finish a job. They may have some. Stranger things have happened! :0)

samm1973
02-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Since you both do most of your business online, I think it's a great opportunity to trade best practices with a colleague. Since you are in a niche business, I'd bet there is plenty of customers to go round. I'd probably go have a chat with the competitor prior to moving in to let them know it's not a move motivated by ill will.

pr0xx1d
02-24-2014, 09:57 PM
Make friends with them. You can compete in a friendly fashion. You could probably both learn things from one another that would boost BOTH of your businesses. Remember that business is connections. Throwing someone away is throwing out a possible opportunity. Good luck.

Cd2 Solutions
02-25-2014, 03:18 AM
Make friends with them. You can compete in a friendly fashion. You could probably both learn things from one another that would boost BOTH of your businesses. Remember that business is connections. Throwing someone away is throwing out a possible opportunity. Good luck.

agreed. it may end up that you offer slightly different products and services to your competitor, and if somebody goes in/checks online for a service that you dont have, you can refer them to your competitor, and vice versa. this way, you can both get extra business out of the deal.

johndoll
12-13-2019, 10:51 PM
Quick background: been in business since 2008, selling labeling equipment to businesses. Very small niche market. Working from home at the moment (had an office a couple years ago), and I'm starting to outgrow my home office.

In the last 6 months I have only come across a few decent office/warehouse spaces. One of them seems perfect. Great location, plenty of room to grow, lease rates/terms are good. There's just one problem... I found out that one of my competitors is located in the same complex, only about 8 units away.

I have charted this all out logically, and of course there's nothing technically wrong with moving in so close to them. Both of us do 99% of our business online, so it's not like we're two restaurants moving in next to each other. However, there's an emotional component that is disturbing me. How will they perceive me moving in so close to them? Will they be tempted to snoop around our office or warehouse, especially in the summer when we will be working with the warehouse bay door open all day.

I'm trying to rationalize this because the space seems perfect, but I can't shake the uncomfortable feeling of moving in so close to a competitor.

Any tips, advice, smacks upside the head, are all appreciated. :cool:

The only advice I can give you is to improve your warehouses and make them better. In the future, you can increase their number and become a leader. I recently sold my warehouses and the guys who bought it decided to order console racks for goods. This decision was warmly accepted by the workers and receiving and sending goods became much easier. So you can contact the guys from https://kingmorack.com (https://kingmorack.com) and they can help you. If you still need advice, write me in private messages.

RoyFollman
01-06-2020, 12:32 PM
You have made a right thing. Moving to competitor will make your business much more successful. I am 100% supporting you in this. Are you renting now a new office? When I moved I had troubles with moving all the furniture. I bought it so I didn`t want to leave it in the old office. I ayed really good money for the chairs and tables, they are from the natural wood and leather. I found a very good moving company threemenandatruck.net (https://threemenandatruck.net/) which helped me for a good price.

Lmaomen1
01-09-2020, 02:56 AM
You have made a right thing. Moving to competitor will make your business much more successful. I am 100% supporting you in this. Are you renting now a new office? When I moved I had troubles with moving all the furniture. I bought it so I didn`t want to leave it in the old office. I ayed really good money for the chairs and tables, they are from the natural wood and leather. I found a very good moving company threemenandatruck.net (https://threemenandatruck.net/) which helped me for a good price.
But does the price really matters when it comes to a moving company? Aren't they offer the same quality? They use the same cars in the end.

Norawa
11-17-2020, 12:22 AM
Yes, price really matters when it comes to a moving company. Hiring movers is a great way to simplify the entire moving process. Cheap moving companies usually do not have a license or insurance which is not good. I can recommend you California Movers. https://californiamoversusa.com/ - here you can read more about them.

Lolita
11-25-2020, 02:36 PM
Good post!

Lolita
11-26-2020, 07:30 AM
Hello ! Of course, it is best to use the services of special companies that deal with office relocation. Experienced and qualified personnel and modern transport are the keys to success. A good company https://topmoversreviews.org/before-move-tips/moving-sale/ will provide you with a full range of cargo delivery services. This is the best company in its field!