PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to promote from within or hire outside talent?

oregano
02-05-2014, 09:09 AM
When you're looking for new staff for your company, do you try to prioritize your existing employees and promote them whenever appropriate, or do you prefer to look for new blood from outside the business?

In other words, do you make the time and effort to train and nurture your staff to enable them to advance in their careers? Or (and the two may not actually be mutually exclusive) do you see advantages in hiring experienced mid-level and senior staff from other organizations

AlecD
02-05-2014, 11:56 AM
ALWAYS look to the inside FIRST. If you don't even try to promote from within, your employees will see this, and think you don't care about them. Some may even quit. Only once EVERY option within your company is exhausted, should you try to hire outside talent.

Cides, your employees would much rather take orders from a fellow coworker they've been working with for a period of time who also knows how the company runs, rather than Some total stranger off the streets.

DomDom
02-05-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree with Alec! Its very demotivational for your employees! In addition to it you always KNOW your employees and KNOW what to expect from them! Someone can seem like a great hire (awesome CV, great inerview) but you never actually know until you work with somebody. Stick with your own employees and only hire outside if they lack the skills needed for the position!

KaplanTheThird
02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
You should always try to hire from within, especially when it's a promotion and not hiring for a new department. Not being able to promote your own employees is a failure of management. The management is responsible for hiring, training and developing it's employees. If they don't have any good internal candidates for promotions I think the management should look at itself and see what it is doing wrong.

alec
02-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Promoting employees from within is the best course of action for any business, and we all seem to agree on that. Existing employees already know the inner workings of the company, have proved themselves and you already know how dependable they are. The same cannot be said about new talent. Also, from my experience, not offering promotion opportunities tends to be bad for the company in the form of people leaving/quitting for better opportunities - always look within first!

cpefley
02-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I think it does a lot more for employee morale when employers promote from within the company. It is hard for existing employees to feel valued when their employers are looking outside the company for people to be their new bosses. It may effect their productivity as well, if they don't feel valued as employees. If they don't think their hard work will pay off with a promotion in the future, what motivates them to perform to the best of their abilities?

pandandesign
02-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Well, the best bet would be go for the inside then out to see who is the best and who is going to be eliminated. Another thing is that hiring employee whom little experience would be ok, but you have to think about what they can do, especially ones without any experiences. I don't mind training the person as long as they have good work ethics, planning skills, productive skills, and things like that, but if it takes you a lot of efforts, time, and money, then it's not worth any of them because you're paying them by also training them. It also depends on how well the person can handle the work and see whether or not the person is good at their job.

Auror
02-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Personally, I would prefer to promote someone on the inside because you already know them in and out. Promoting someone from the inside would also strengthen trust and loyalty. But, there are also perks of hiring from the outside. One such advantage is getting fresh new ideas from a newly hired employee. Also, it is much more cost effective to just hire a new employee from the outside rather than promote a certain person on the inside.

delusional
02-06-2014, 05:42 AM
ALWAYS look to the inside FIRST. If you don't even try to promote from within, your employees will see this, and think you don't care about them. Some may even quit. Only once EVERY option within your company is exhausted, should you try to hire outside talent.

Cides, your employees would much rather take orders from a fellow coworker they've been working with for a period of time who also knows how the company runs, rather than Some total stranger off the streets.

I agree. It's a great way of keeping your employees motivated. They can see that there is a possibility for promotion inside the business. Whenever this happens, also stress "the amount of work X did for the company" and "X was always motivated in helping other people out and always doing what was best for the company".

fredkawig
02-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Promoting and enhancing the morale of the inner staff is the best way to go. People will get shocked and offended if you go out looking for new blood. Your current employees would think that you are not loyal to them and that you would just fire them whenever you want thus the lesser the work would be done by them. You have to take into consideration your employees needs specially when they are doing well in your perspective.

AlecD
02-06-2014, 02:55 PM
I'm glad to see mosty everyone is in agreement on this one. Seriously, not even attempting to promote from within first is a surefire way to end up with disgruntled employees, lower productivity, and like I said, some of them may even quit.

cassylexandra
02-06-2014, 09:01 PM
I agree with the comments who say that one should promote from the inside of the company first. If you hire from the outside, like the others said, the old employees would not be dedicated, seeing how you are not loyal to them. In addition, when new employees come in, they might reconsider, seeing how the older employees are being treated. Like fredkawig said, you have to heed to your employees' needs, especially when they are doing what they are supposed to.

caveman
02-07-2014, 07:07 AM

I agree! I think it's important to make your employees feel like they are of great use which can lead to better promotions since they will know better about certain products etc. I worked at an e-commerce brand for a while and they hired outside talent to do the promotion and it was a complete disaster because they weren't aware of all the important details. So, from experience, I would definitely say INSIDE talent is much more appreciated.

Taru
02-10-2014, 08:24 PM
I'd always go with my current employees first. For one thing, they are already knowledgeable as to what my rules and quirks are, and of course I already trust them a lot more than I would a newcomer. I'd rather they just get promoted and train the new people instead. The only time I'd consider hiring outside is if the position were specific enough that no one within my current team has the certain skill set, but otherwise, I'd rather promote from within as much as possible.

mikelouis
02-11-2014, 12:42 AM
I would always look at the current employees performance. If they have good performance record, then am sure I can promote them other than hiring someone else. You can simply promote one guy and hire a new person to replace him at a lower position. That is much better.

CSomm
02-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Promoting from within should be the unanimous consensus. You always want to find someone who knows the job, and knows the weaknesses and strengths of the company. Outsiders are useful in situations where no one is suitable or willing to accept a promoted position, but that should be done delicately and only after you've made it clear to your employees that they should consider the promotion---you want your employees to do some soul searching. If no one truly wants, or is in a position to do the job, they will understand it when you find a qualified individual.

crimsonghost747
02-13-2014, 01:34 PM
From the inside. Provided that they have the necessary skills (or can fairly easily acquire them) then I would certainly prefer to promote someone who I'm familiar working with.

LonerWolf
02-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Well.. I think the inner staff is far more valuable.. And promoting someone gives him/her the edge to work even better and to enjoy being a part of your business.. Yes, you can find some great talents from the outside but devotion to the team really takes time.. :)

mameeker@cuse
02-20-2014, 01:29 AM
Personally I would hire from within and fill the bottom level of the company with new young talent. I feel that it would be an important decision towards my business's image, you want to be the business which promotes people. While this would be my main approach, every situation is different and you must consider each situation individually.

LindaKay
02-20-2014, 02:04 AM
I think it's a better idea to promote within if you can. People who already work for you know your business better than an outsider would, regardless of what his or her resume might say. It also helps boost morale within your business if you are promoting people who have been working hard for you. Of course, this is only true if you have good employees, which isn't always the case.

gadgetised
02-20-2014, 04:43 AM
Promote within if you have the talent. I would hate to work for a company that keeps outsourcing employees. I would never have a chance to move up.

jptrey06
02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Promote within. If you think your employee deserve the promotion, then give them the position. If your people see that you recognize your team member's hard work, that will encourage them to work even harder. Loyal, talented and hardworking employees are good thing to have in a company and you can easily recognize them within your employees. Its a good thing to have people that you already trust in the higher positions.

autograph
02-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Hiring outside talent instead of promoting from within might cause some discomfort to the workplace environment. It may send a message to your employees that you do not trust and value them enough to let any of them take on the job with bigger responsibility. You may not mean it, but it certainly gives off the wrong vibes.
I will only hire outsiders if nobody from the organization is willing to take up on the challenge.

owesem75
02-21-2014, 10:52 AM
It depends on the sensitivity and the nature of the work. We do internal recruitment for positions that are very sensitive and vital to the sustainability of the operations. Once a position is vacated due to promotion, organizational movement follows opening vacancy on positions at the lower entry level.

sofieb529
02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
As I hire event to event I can hire new people every time. As our high school students need a certain amount of volunteer hours to graduate I have hired them as well; instead of paying them I sign off on volunteer hours.
If I had someone who did really well last event I have reached out to them to come back and help me again. Much easier than having to re hire and train.

DomDom
02-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Hiring outside talent instead of promoting from within might cause some discomfort to the workplace environment. It may send a message to your employees that you do not trust and value them enough to let any of them take on the job with bigger responsibility. You may not mean it, but it certainly gives off the wrong vibes.
I will only hire outsiders if nobody from the organization is willing to take up on the challenge.

My thoughts exactly! The main thing for the employees is a great atmosphere to work in. Its the only way they will stay and do great work!

angelicagapit
02-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Before resorting to what's outside of your business, first look within. You can always improve what's inside, you can train employees, you can teach them new things, you can improve their skills and at the same time, their character.

You don't always have to promote outside right away. Look at what you have right now, appreciate, and utilize everything.

pr0xx1d
02-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Inside first then outside. You have to show your employees that they will be rewarded for hard work and dedication as well as show appreciation and recognition. Always hiring from the outside just shows that you are looking to use people for what they are worth to you at a given moment. Not good. You can definitely lose some people by doing this.

ursell
02-25-2014, 12:19 AM
I agree you promote from within first and if you don't have someone who qualify for the job then hire from
the outside. If you want your loyal employees to stay with you then you promote them with the job it's only
right and they earned it.

CeliVega
02-25-2014, 12:36 AM
I myself would definitely go for promoting from within. Why go through the trouble and nuisance of getting everyone to know that you are hiring, wait for people to apply for the job position, going through interviews, select from your list of candidates, doing a background check of the potential candidates, wasting resources for going with everything, etc......if there's already local talent and potential candidate in your organizations? Plus going with promoting from within usually increase the morale of fellow employees because you made it apparent that you appreciate staffs with extra skills or talents and they will work harder for you.

Mafdet
02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
It depends on the type of activity you're conducting. While in a call center type business, I think it's important to promote from your existing employees, since they are already familiar with your procedures, with customers and with the call center experience. However, if you're looking for a different set of skills than that required for your agent position, you might not be able to find someone qualified for the job unless you recruit "new blood".

wander_n_wonder
02-28-2014, 04:20 PM
When you're looking for new staff for your company, do you try to prioritize your existing employees and promote them whenever appropriate, or do you prefer to look for new blood from outside the business?

In other words, do you make the time and effort to train and nurture your staff to enable them to advance in their careers? Or (and the two may not actually be mutually exclusive) do you see advantages in hiring experienced mid-level and senior staff from other organizations

I would look at both options. There are cases where there are really a lot of good existing employees and they deserve to get promoted. However, there are also cases where it's wiser to look for new talent outside, especially if you would like to create a significant change in the company. If you feel that everyone is starting to lose motivation, it may be a good challenge for them when they start seeing outsiders beginning to take action in the company.