PDA

View Full Version : Do you still get vacation pay if you only work part-time?

pandandesign
02-06-2014, 02:20 AM
I haven't worked in anywhere that wasn't full-time, which I have always worked overtime because I used to work as a Nurse, which I worked as much as I could in order to survive my college years and be able to pay for things. I would like to know if you work part-time, do you still get a vacation pay or does it depend on the company?

JohnSword
02-07-2014, 03:06 AM
I used to work part-time in the past. Out of all the part-time jobs I've worked in, none of them provided vacation pay. Basically, if you've to take time off, then you won't get paid. I'll be interested to hear from anyone who gets vacation pay while working part-time.

Andy1982
02-07-2014, 05:33 AM
I haven't worked in anywhere that wasn't full-time, which I have always worked overtime because I used to work as a Nurse, which I worked as much as I could in order to survive my college years and be able to pay for things. I would like to know if you work part-time, do you still get a vacation pay or does it depend on the company?

Vacation? What's that when it's at home? I haven't had one of those in about 6 year at this point, but I can't really complain about it, I get to work outside with my farm animals and digging in the dirt to grow some stunning vegetables. Not to everyone's taste I know, so that's my vacation. Other places I've worked have allowed me so many days (3-4) on full pay and anything after that would be payed on an average amount of hours worked and then you would get a small percentage, but it wasn't much.

fredkawig
02-07-2014, 07:12 AM
I think you can make money with different part time jobs. You can also study while doing part-time jobs rather than going for full time jobs. It really depends on the availability of work and the good pay which would make people want to work more. If you don't want to do part time you could just do a business yourself as this can be more productive for business minded people.

owesem75
02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Vacation pay is an entitlement given to full time workers as part of their benefit completing a contract. I don't think a part-time employee can be covered by such an agreement. Besides, you are not paid when you don't work.

delusional
02-08-2014, 03:10 PM
It depends on the company, really. My mother works part-time but have vacation pay for the time should would normally work (50/50). Some people might not be payed but it is normal for most to get payed according to how much they work.

DomDom
02-08-2014, 04:52 PM
As the guys said, it really depends on the place you are working at. Even though I think 90% wont give you paid vacation because it costs them money: No emotions in business!

caveman
02-09-2014, 01:56 AM
It completely depends on the company. Some of them are generous and some of them aren't. Some companies are very lenient with this sort of thing and will give you pay while you are on vacation if you are working full-time. But for part-time, i'm not saying that it never happens, but it is quite rare.

sbatz72
02-09-2014, 01:50 PM
I have found in my experience that the answer to this question does depend onthe company. There are places I have worked that did offer vaction pay for part-time staff and this was based on an average of the hours worked. Then there were places that did not, but that I could take a vacation only upon approval from management.

oregano
02-10-2014, 05:12 AM
I've never received vacation pay in any of the part-time jobs I've done over the years. In my experience it's only full-time, permanent positions that include vacation pay, sick pay and other benefits whereas all my part-time jobs have been hourly pay only. On the other hand, when I worked via a temp agency for a couple of years a long time ago, there was one company where I worked (full-time plus a lot of overtime, paid on an hourly basis) that gave me a week's paid vacation to say thank you for doing a good job. That was probably quite an unusual situation, though.

Lodismel
02-10-2014, 01:03 PM
It would definitely depend on how part-time you are. If you are working 20 hours a week you are probably a lot less likely than someone who works 30 hours a week. In each case you are considered part-time, but it's pretty clear which one works for more hours. This question might be a bit too broad as well, since it would really depend on each company.

Taru
02-10-2014, 07:21 PM
I experienced working part time a few years ago, and besides the salary I got for the work I did, there were practically no other benefits to the job. I only really stayed because the work was fun for me and I also wanted to gain the experience, but other than that there really is not many benefits that would entice someone to get the part time job aside from the pay itself. I did, however, get to go along to company outings and Christmas parties, which was very fun.

mameeker@cuse
02-19-2014, 03:40 PM
I believe this subject is truly business specific. The easy answer would be that because paid vacation is not federally or state mandated for part time employees, the employer has no responsibility to give a paid vacation to a part time employee. Morally though, I feel that part time employees should be given paid vacation in proportion to the number of hours they work compared to full time employees. For example if a part time employee works 20 hours a week and a full time employee works 40 hours a week, the part time employee should be given half the vacation time of the full time employee. I believe this because generally a part time employee works just as hard as a full time employee during the time they are at work, and both positions should be rewarded equally.

stacyje
02-19-2014, 03:54 PM
I work at a prison and if you are part-time you don't get vacation time or the full benefits as a full time employee. It great that if other jobs offer this. because I think that as an employee full time or not the benefits should be given. at least after the first 30 days probation period.

LindaKay
02-20-2014, 01:06 AM
In most cases, no. Some companies might offer it, but I would guess that they are few and far between. I've never heard of it myself.

alec
02-20-2014, 02:00 AM
From my experience and from what I've seen or heard, no. Yes, it does depend on the firm you work at but most do not offer vacations for part timers, only for full time employees since it's included in the benefits package. There are certain positions, in sales for example, where such benefits can be received based on performance since the income you bring to your employer is substantial enough.

Keep in mind that, as sad as it may sound, part time jobs are 'reserved' for students or people looking for extra income thus the employers tend to deliver as little benefits and pay as possible since most don't value this type of employee.

mansbestfriend
02-20-2014, 02:12 AM
Ask your employer. It all depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes no :) It can also depend on the line of business.
Also, your region matter!

gadgetised
02-20-2014, 03:40 AM
Never have I received vacation pay for a part time job. Full time yes, but never part time. Casual is the same, no vacation pay there either.

apexa1
02-21-2014, 03:33 AM
I think in 99% of the cases the answer is going to be no. However I'm sure there are places that allow their workers some benefits such as the ones you're asking about. It really depends on the type of work and what it is you do though really. I've never come across a place that does holiday benefits, but that's just my experience. I think you'd need to ask a lot of workers to have an accurate answer on this lol.

ursell
03-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Yes it depend on the company that you work for. I worked part time and the company that I worked for did give vacation
pay that was one good thing about the company.

sweetkymom
03-31-2014, 08:28 PM
The answer to this question really depends on the company you work for. I work for a company that I've been with for 6 years now. I only work weekends. I get all the benefits I got 6 years ago plus more...as long as I work enough to pay in taxes and deductions. Not every job will give you vacation days.

harpy
03-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Benefits vary from company to company and from state to state (or country to country). In Canada, for example, I know that the labor board requires companies to provide vacation benefits to both full-time and part-time employees. If you're in the US, find out what the rules are in your state. You may be entitled to more than just vacation benefits without knowing it, so you may need to ask around. Take note, however: some companies follow this "Use it or Lose It" rule, wherein, if the employee does not utilize his vacation time or claim his vacation pay after a certain period of time, he could lose it. I hope you get your vacation benefits, OP!

mikelouis
04-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Of course you can not get paid vacation time if you are a part time employee. That kind of benefit is given to only full time employees. I have never come across a company that has such a policy for their part time employees.