PDA

View Full Version : How do you source new clients?

CarolHansson
02-06-2014, 08:06 AM
The last topic that I commented on (dreams and aspirations for a home-based business) got me to thinking. How do you source new clients?

If you have a website (which I highly recommend) ... how many clients contact you directly? Do you send out direct e-mails or direct mail of any kind?

As I mentioned, 99% of my clients are from direct contact ... I've found that as long as you keep e-mails short, sweet and personalized, they seem to work.

caveman
02-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Biggest source for me right now is Facebook. I'm launching a website soon though. But through Facebook, twitter and instagram I get about 20-25 direct emails. And I agree with your strategy about keeping emails short and personalised. And I always mention that I'm always open to their feedbacks which really helps. Sometimes, I even call them up directly and this works great too!

sdsnook
02-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Word of mouth still holds true. So we can all be busy little bees, sending flyers, emails, social-networking are little FB fingers off and make zealtch! I know GASP... It's all about building relationships. Getting recommendations, having a solid reputation for whatever you do or for whoever you are. I have had a group on FB for a week to just sell some little nail wraps. None of my friends are buying in, why cuz i have kinda just thrown them into this group and haven't contacted anyone person. I will this weekend.... I was just planting seeds this last week. Next week tho they better watch it cuz I will be tagging and posting and PMing and ohhing and awwwing! I love promoting! It's fun!

am.nevida
02-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Biggest source for me right now is Facebook. I'm launching a website soon though. But through Facebook, twitter and instagram I get about 20-25 direct emails. And I agree with your strategy about keeping emails short and personalised. And I always mention that I'm always open to their feedbacks which really helps. Sometimes, I even call them up directly and this works great too!

I also think that facebook is a good idea. Or you can ask your customers to talk about your company and spread your name and what you do around, maybe some people will notice you :)

CarolHansson
02-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I actually just restarted my Facebook advertising -- both a promoted post and a proper ad; in addition to Twitter advertising (I received a $50 coupon because I am a MailChimp subscriber); plus, I am doing a Google AdWords campaign. So far I've gotten a few likes of my post, a few favorited Tweets and according to Google Analytics, four new unique visitors.

I agree with sdsnook; it is all about building relationships. For a while there I was following up on all my e-mails with a phone call, if I had not received a reply. That got tedious, especially considering most of the people who were interested e-mailed me back anyway.

rijndael
02-06-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm really surprised to hear such great praise for facebook marketing. I run a computer service business and have found that the only thing I get from my Facebook page is maybe brand recognition. I've never been contacted via Facebook. Also, I don't get much attention from my website either. What kind of businesses are you running that gets you clients from Facebook?

eppie
02-06-2014, 10:45 PM
I also get a lot of inquiries from Facebook too (by the way, my niche is online jobs). My FB page ranks higher in search engine results than my actual website. I think I'm getting organic traffic that's why I'm able to build a quality FB fan based. If you like to get results from your FB pages then you got to have a quality fan based.

I also agree with sdsnook about building relationships. You have to communicate and put yourself out there especially If you're planning to have a long-term business. People buy from someone they trust and trust is not easily gained, you have to work hard to for it. If people trust you they will not just buy from you but will likewise recommend you to their friends and relatives. :D

caveman
02-07-2014, 05:51 AM
I'm really surprised to hear such great praise for facebook marketing. I run a computer service business and have found that the only thing I get from my Facebook page is maybe brand recognition. I've never been contacted via Facebook. Also, I don't get much attention from my website either. What kind of businesses are you running that gets you clients from Facebook?

I'm running a small business selling women's shoes and jewellery. I've changed the settings to target mostly teenagers and young adults. I also include a lot of free giveaways and that attracts a lot of attention.

fredkawig
02-07-2014, 06:59 AM
The local people or the people in your locality is the best source of new clients. Those who already know you is a very good source of clients specially if you have a good reputation with them. You can also find people through Facebook, make customers like your page and it will spread like wildfire. There are other ways which you can get new clients by way of media such as TV ads, local newspaper and local Radio sites.

Qraqq
02-07-2014, 07:58 AM
While using every marketing channel to get through to a wide selection of potential customers is possible, it kind of erodes that human touch in getting a message across.

Try to be as cool and personal as possible, people nowadays aren't very fond of big corporate giants that are impersonal to them. People prefer the Mom and Pop Store much better.

CarolHansson
02-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Maybe I'm just impatient, but I'm beginning to wonder if on-line advertising works at all with my market. (I'm a content/copy writer.)

I have Facebook, Twitter and Google ads running right now ... so far getting decent engagement, but no one has contacted me! Sheesh.

How do I stand out amongst the other writers?

pandandesign
02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Well, I don't have a home business but am working on Real Estate, which I do most of the training at home. I have a broker in which I work with, and the way we contact most of the clients face-to-face and sometimes on the phone. However, if we contact the clients or vice versa by e-mail, I have to keep a copy of every single e-mail that we write back and forth, which then we will keep all those e-mails and use them later if any problem occurs. I happen to notice that direct contact is much better that way, which isn't done by e-mail.

Bonyi
02-12-2014, 10:41 AM
I think creating awareness through social media will do a lot. The Internet is the best place to promote or advertise your business as it reaches more people around the world.

levis_88
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm running a small business selling women's shoes and jewellery. I've changed the settings to target mostly teenagers and young adults. I also include a lot of free giveaways and that attracts a lot of attention.

i agree with caveman free giveaways will definitely draw a lot of attention.

jubvman
02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Maybe I'm just impatient, but I'm beginning to wonder if on-line advertising works at all with my market. (I'm a content/copy writer.)

I have Facebook, Twitter and Google ads running right now ... so far getting decent engagement, but no one has contacted me! Sheesh.

How do I stand out amongst the other writers?

My biggest source for new visitors to my website right now is social media; facebook, twitter, youtube etc. Even though I've only really been working with facebook, haven't gave much other sites a lot of time.

Since you're a content/copywriter you should have no problem finding new clients. Website owners are always looking for new content and they're willing to pay good money if you're a good writer. Try advertising on Fiverr and internet marketing forums. I'm pretty sure there are websites specifically made for writers to sell their work also, iWriter and oDesk I think are two of them.

mikelouis
02-13-2014, 08:17 AM
I work as a freelance writer so most of my clients I look for them online. In most cases I check out freelance working sites such as oDesk among others to find new clients. At first they will pay low but after I have proved I have the skills they want, the pay is increased.

SmartPea85
02-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Facebook and other social media are great starters, but I agree that word of mouth is still a tried-and-true method of marketing yourself and getting new clients. I have started a cupcake business out of my home within the last month, and I made a website and shared it on Facebook. I saw friends and family share it with friends of friends, so I'm hoping this will reach even more eyes. however, I feel I need to do more with the "human touch" to get customers, especially since I do not have a storefront.

I live near several colleges, so maybe something as easy as some eye-catching fliers circulating would be a way to spread the word. I also saw on one of these Gordon Ramsey Fix-My-Restaurant type shows that he gave out free samples of the food from the restaurant to local businesses to attract new customers. People love free samples, and if people actually taste your work they are more likely to remember it and want more. I think it would be worth the cost to make a big batch of mini cupcakes and present myself to one of the big businesses in the area. Giving out free cupcakes along with my business card and information might get me even more customers in a more personalized, face-to-face way.

Millermarketingroup
02-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Almost half of my clients come from referral or word of mouth. Ive been fortunate enough to have developed strong lasting relationships with most of my previous clients and are pleased, generally speaking, with my overall performance. By developing a strong cold calling tactic and staff, I also can farm new clients relatively easily by attacking a different or unique market daily. I also have my sales staff routinely switch the services they are calling and offering in order to not gain a stale approach on the phone. I also encourage my staff to stand and smile when calling.

Social media is great, too, as facebook provides a level field with large corporations all the way down the local floral shop in your neighborhood, for example. Everyone gets out what they put into social media marketing, and if you are tenacious, integral, and smart enough in your development, it can really take your company to the top level.

Millermarketingroup
02-14-2014, 12:49 PM
I would suggest moving toward an offline marketing tactic, as well, to balance your reach out. Most people on the internet consider themselves professionals in EVERYTHING content, so it will be difficult to show you are not one of the dime per dozen "writers" that are constantly hounding the same targets. I suggest calling sources or targets directly, or better yet, having your 'assistant' or associate calling and providing them with excerpts of your previous work from your most notable clients.

people will always dismiss an email, but rarely forget a call to action.

Millermarketingroup
02-14-2014, 12:51 PM
this is a great sector of business for social media marketing. Its no surprise to me that you do very well on the facebook, etsy, instagram etc platform

DonnaIReilly
02-16-2014, 12:48 PM
I think building my own email list has really helped me. I still get clients through social marketing sites also though. Twitter tends to be great for me, I only seem to land the odd client through Facebook and the others.

pahagwl
02-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Sourcing of clients is a very important issue which an entrepreneur has to address after having started the business. Lets face it, a business is basically built to cater the needs of the clients. For sourcing new clients, you have to start a marketing campaign so as to create brand awareness for your firm. Big companies spend billions of dollars on advertising budget for the same. Countless books have been written on the subject but people have failed to accurately define the correct strategy for marketing, as it needs to be decided according to the needs of business.

Lostvalleyguy
02-24-2014, 03:25 PM
The best source of clients for me has always been word of mouth. I am a private tutor and if I get good results, my name gets around. One thing that has helped me maintain a client base is keeping the same email address and phone number over the long term. My clients get older and outgrow my services, but five years later they are still giving my number out to other people. People wont try too hard to get hold of you if they have outdated contact information. For me, other methods of acquiring clients have led to mainly short term, less reliable clients.

owesem75
02-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Starting a forum like this is also a good way to gather people of common interests (obviously related to your business) and you will find it easy to source new clients for your business. For obvious reason, personalized email and the FB are hands down good marketing grounds for anything.

Sally108
02-26-2014, 08:51 AM
I have had a lot of success with social media in general. I try to keep growing into new social arenas. Although, one of my home businesses does better with word of mouth, for the most part it is the social media that works best.

firelily99
02-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Word of mouth has been a big part of it, I am fairly well known within the community that I reside in so it works well for me. I currently am exploring ways to improve my marketing. With so many options and a limited budget I want to get the biggest bang for my buck.

Jkility
03-04-2014, 02:45 PM
For me, owning a webhosting company we do our client sourcing via affiliates as well as forums as we promote on forums and thats where the majority of our customers come from.

wander_n_wonder
03-07-2014, 11:57 AM
I started out getting business from personal referrals. I think that's the best way to do it. Simply doing cold calls and mass emails won't attract too much attention. There are already way too many companies who do that and people are tired of telemarketing calls and spam mails. Personal referrals are better because you get to reach the client directly and there is a personal touch to it, meaning, someone else may have said something about your business already.

I also asked my first few clients to do referral letters for me and I post that on my website. Word of mouth is really crucial.

Taru
03-20-2014, 07:20 AM
I agree. I think emailing is still a nice and formal way of sourcing clients nowadays. Otherwise, I think nothing beats having a sales representative out there constantly pushing your products or trying to acquire clients, because I think having a person to talk to will always sit better with companies, especially big ones. I think the smaller companies tend to be a bit more casual in their approach and therefore also are more forgiving of the same when they are the recipient.

gadgetised
03-20-2014, 07:49 AM
The internet! Social media, especially Facebook. There is also local listing sites like GumTree for where I am located.

HarleyLuise
05-04-2014, 11:47 PM
Today email marketing is one of the best source to grab new clients. If you have list of client's emails then you can do email marketing which is the best way to contact client directly. Facebook,twitter,instagram are also effective social media platforms to catch new clients.

DennisChang
05-05-2014, 06:02 AM
We do marketing on different mediums, both traditional and new. It also depends on your customer demographic, whether you are B2C or B2B.

rickymartin0110
05-09-2014, 04:27 AM
This has also happens with me, I was launching my website an year ago and i got some clients from social media.

Terry Hopper
12-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Yes, agree with your statement completely, for me also biggest source is Facebook.
Yes this is really true, but you can try to make to make more source and make more client with TV ad, Road poster Ad, Video post, And conference. Good luck.

Allan Madan
02-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Attracting new clients can be one of the biggest obstacles in starting a business.
Heavy advertisements and building customer loyalty and relationships will help the business the grow rapidly.

Sincerely,
Madan Chartered Accountant

James E. Waters
04-16-2015, 02:00 AM
Best way to source new clients is internet marketing, as new people are daily added to this. And social bookmarking and email marketing are best to grab attention of new clients.

Jozsef
07-02-2015, 09:41 PM
You can source new clients by hiring a virtual assistant. This assistant can work magic for you on LinkedIn by connecting you with people that you want to target. Then you can have your assistant send out inbox emails to those people using a template. So you see this is just one way of lead generation, which can turn into clients. Then also drive traffic to your website through social and/or paid ads. Make sure to have an opt in form at the top of your page.

Jozsef Kiss

Scanabcxyz
07-07-2015, 01:48 AM
This is very much dependent on the channel: customer purchase data, customer from conference events .....

jane1
08-03-2015, 02:46 AM
New clients come after knowing to us through our clients. They may be friends or relatives of our clients. Advertisement, and marketing also play a crucial role in getting new customers. Youtube videos, pictures of our clients on our website also attract our new customers to get our services.

seosharkservices
02-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Hey CarolHansson,

There are many sources through which you got clients. Rightnow social media are huge source to find new clients. Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and Google Plus are top amongst all. I hope this might be help you to find new clients.

Thank you.

TracyLisbet
02-13-2016, 04:09 AM
I think social marketing is best way for get a client. you should do SEO for your business for get more benifit.

gandu
02-28-2016, 12:38 AM
Have to be careful with direct email these days. Especially with all the spam legislations coming up and needing permission for unsolicited email.

Having said that, depending on the type of business you're in. Old school cold calling can still work pretty well.

oner789
03-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Based on my experience, I always search clients from Linkedin website and also in Google. Facebook sometimes since some of my friends recommend clients from there.

Kevin@sits
03-10-2016, 09:56 AM
That is very good Carol Hansson. Yes emails like that do work very well.

As to your question, there are many ways to attract new clients.
Most include building relationships through forums and social media groups.
Others include Google SEO keyword search, magazines, articles, YouTube and other marketing forums.
The internet has made this so much easier now.
It's amazing how much traffic and targeted clients you can attract with the right tools on the internet.
What tools and strategies have you used so far?

sam07
03-23-2016, 03:38 AM
i get a client because of the adds that i post through social media and you know what if you are interested try to look this form "blackhat" it will help you for advertising

annasg
04-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Here are some tips for customer acquisition:
1. Networking
2. Facebook advertisement
3. Establishing yourself as a thought leader
4. Word-of-mouth
5. Attending events that are relevant to your business
6. Offering a promotion
7. Run a local Google ad
8. Have presence on social media platforms where you target consumers are

Best of luck!

designman
08-11-2016, 10:58 PM
I think finding new clients on social media is the best.

MelissaForziatEvents
11-08-2016, 09:40 PM
Websites are a great tool for sharing information about your brand, services, team, blogs, and for keeping a potential lead thinking about you for minutes at a time. Ideally you then convert them to newsletters, hook offerings, or other products/services you sell. But, generally I find that the conversation starts somewhere else and they continue to follow the trail of marketing tools until they get to the website. I love list-building and speaking engagements for the first point of contact so you know you are dealing with leads in the right target market to start with.

edatascholars
12-07-2016, 11:51 PM
Hello! for home based business Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest are good sourcing but it won't work for all category of businesses, mostly all social media works well with fashion, apparel, baking, home foods, home made chocolates, beauty products, clothing, interior, daycare, preschools but if we consider some categoreys like health, event management, books etc.. won't work with SMO sites for these kinds of businesses we need to approach different method to sorce the clients.

mcewanjn
06-02-2017, 11:16 PM
I am a private tutor and if I get good results, my name gets around. One thing that has helped me maintain a client base is keeping the same email address and phone number over the long term.

ellenronn
06-03-2017, 10:47 AM
I usually get clients through Facebook and other social media platforms by advertising my business.

William Charles
07-24-2017, 12:50 PM
The best way to the clients is through Linkedin or Facebook.

ShawZim
09-12-2017, 02:54 AM
Word-of-mouth still stays authentic. We are able to all really be active little bees, even delivering flyers, mails, socialnetworking are modest FB palms away and also create zealtch! I am aware GASP... It is all about establishing connections. Getting Tips, Obtaining a strong standing for Anything you are doing or to get all those you're

lyttle397
10-04-2017, 10:25 PM
I am a private tutor and if I get good results, my name gets around. One thing that has helped me maintain a client base is keeping the same email address and phone number over the long term.

DracoVisuals
10-26-2017, 06:43 PM
I am a web designer and the majority of my clients I actually get through Craigslist and similar classifieds sites. Networking meetings are helpful, as well. I haven't had much luck with Facebook ads, but perhaps I'll need to revisit this. Trying to steer away from sites like Craigslist, if possible.

TheVirtualAdminGroup
10-30-2017, 06:15 AM
Hi, some really interesting information here. I am looking to source more clients for my Virtual Administration business, so any ideas that anyone has, please do let me know.

basantiraletta
04-30-2018, 02:51 AM
You can use a Digital Marketing Agency or internet marketing for your business. The marketing makes your focus client aware about your product and service. Also help you to connect with your client by this you cam manage CRM of your company.

j24atzbach
05-09-2018, 05:12 AM
I currently am exploring ways to improve my marketing. With so many options and a limited budget I want to get the biggest bang for my buck.

hydroliclzsuprxxsz
09-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Greatest hotspot for me right presently is Facebook. I'm propelling a site soon however. In any case, through Facebook, twitter and instagram I get around 20-25 coordinate messages. Furthermore, I concur with your methodology about keeping messages short and customized. What's more, I generally say that I'm constantly open to their inputs which truly makes a difference. Now and again, I even ring them straightforwardly and this works incredible as well!

hydroliclzsupzxczxc
09-15-2018, 06:01 AM
I likewise surmise that facebook is a smart thought. Or then again you can get some information about your organization and spread your name and what you do around, possibly a few people will see you

hydroliclzsupzxczxc
09-15-2018, 06:01 AM
I'm extremely shocked to hear such incredible acclaim for facebook showcasing. I maintain a PC benefit business and have discovered that the main thing I get from my Facebook page is perhaps mark acknowledgment. I've never been reached by means of Facebook. Additionally, I don't get much consideration from my site either. What sort of organizations would you say you are running that gets you customers from Facebook?

hydroliclzsupzxczxcs
09-15-2018, 06:32 AM
I'm to a great degree stunned to hear such unimaginable recognition for facebook displaying. I keep up a PC advantage business and have found that the primary concern I get from my Facebook page is maybe check affirmation. I've never been come to by methods for Facebook. Also, I don't get much thought from my site either. What kind of associations would you say you are running that gets you clients from Facebook?
How to apply for USA Tourist Visa Dominican republic (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|USA Tourist Visa Requirements for Dominican republic (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|uscis processing time for Dominican republic (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|us B2 tourist visa application assistance (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|us tourist visa consultants in Costa Rica (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|Dominican republic us tourist visa consulate (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|Dominican republic travelers visa to the US (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/) |Spain visa for U.S Permanent Residents -Dominican republic (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)

hydroliclzsupzxczxcs
09-15-2018, 06:39 AM
I'm to a great degree stunned to hear such fantastic recognition for facebook exhibiting. I keep up a PC advantage business and have found that the primary concern I get from my Facebook page is maybe stamp affirmation. I've never been come to by methods for Facebook. Also, I don't get much thought from my site either. What kind of associations would you say you are running that gets you clients from Facebook?
How to apply for USA Tourist Visa Dominican republic (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|USA Tourist Visa Requirements for Dominican republic (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|uscis processing time for Dominican republic (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|us B2 tourist visa application assistance (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|us tourist visa consultants in Costa Rica (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|Dominican republic us tourist visa consulate (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)|Dominican republic travelers visa to the US (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/) |Spain visa for U.S Permanent Residents -Dominican republic (http://visaserviceusa.com/blog/)

outsourcingangel
09-19-2018, 06:02 PM
READY TO TAKE YOUR BUSINESS TO NEW HEIGHTS?
https://outsourcingangel.com/book-a-free-consultation/
Start outsourcing to us today and we will help you manage your VAs and all your to do lists!

nisargshah
06-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Here are some of the unique ways to get more clients....
1. Partner with agencies
2. Browse job boards
3. Follow up with lost clients
4. Follow up with your network
5. Run an ad campaign
6. Start blogging
7. Generate leads
8. Use Twitter search
9. Start coworking
10. Send a handwritten letter
11. Answer questions on Quora
12. Create a presentation

Tayra
09-30-2019, 03:08 PM
In our town, Mississauga (https://comfortclean.com/air-duct-cleaning-mississauga/) clients come from websites or by recommendation people who use this cleaning service. Think this good way.