PDA

View Full Version : What goals and objectives do you have in general for your business?

caveman
02-06-2014, 11:50 AM
I just want to know if you have set aside particular goals or objectives for starting your business. I don't specifically have one yet but right now I'm just doing it because i'm interested in it. Do you have one?

AlecD
02-06-2014, 02:13 PM
With no goals there is no progress. With unrealistic goals, tasks seem daunting and don't get accomplished. Setting realistically achievable goals in relation to your resources and market, and estimated growth is the best way to keep pushing forward in a business. In my opinion anyways.

sdsnook
02-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I found a really cool article to help break this down. http://www.awaionline.com/2014/02/6-steps-to-being-unshakably-committed-to-your-goal/

Basically, taking your dreams and your core values and break these down into realistic goals. Then take Action. Remember writing these down IS taking Action! You can view mine on http://www.bubblews.com/?referral=52e08447ebe4d9.59082607 Good Luck!!!

Check out my Living To Do List on there, I have even broke down my posting here. I have to have structure, or I just collapse upon myself.:p

eppie
02-06-2014, 11:39 PM
I just want to know if you have set aside particular goals or objectives for starting your business. I don't specifically have one yet but right now I'm just doing it because i'm interested in it. Do you have one?

Yes I do! :D

I believe that one of the key ingredients (if not the most important one) in starting a business is to have a goal. Or else why bother :). And mine is to help other people (particularly in my country) to earn from the internet, be it from online jobs or from online business or internet programs.

I guess it's fine not to have a specific goal right away, I think "your goal" will reveal itself eventually as you progress. The important thing is you have started to take action as you're now working on something that interests you. :D

http://stylegerms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Stock-Clerk.png

Taru
02-07-2014, 12:42 PM
My goals are just to reach a certain amount per month in profits, which then ties into my long term goals since a part of that monthly profit goes into my savings for capital that I plan to use in putting up another earner. I admit that I don't really reach my ideal monthly amount, but that only makes me strive even harder to actually achieve it so I don't end up delaying my long term plans for too long. I personally think it's the best way to go about it, since you can just focus on the short term goals and continue to re-adjust each month which makes it a lot less daunting than only focusing on the bigger long term goals, by which I mean I think and hope that I'm right in assuming that accumulating smaller victories will eventually amount to a large victory and this way I won't go crazy before I even reach that point. :)

Qraqq
02-07-2014, 11:51 PM
1. Stable income
2. Directly helping other people by offering great quality, affordable healthcare.
3. Fun!

caveman
02-08-2014, 03:18 AM
With no goals there is no progress. With unrealistic goals, tasks seem daunting and don't get accomplished. Setting realistically achievable goals in relation to your resources and market, and estimated growth is the best way to keep pushing forward in a business. In my opinion anyways.

Thanks for the tip! I agree with setting realistic goals. I think I just haven't figured out if I want to expand my business or not in this cut throat competition because I'm still not at all sure it will last in the future.

caveman
02-08-2014, 03:27 AM
I guess it's fine not to have a specific goal right away, I think "your goal" will reveal itself eventually as you progress. The important thing is you have started to take action as you're now working on something that interests you. :D

http://stylegerms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Stock-Clerk.png

Thanks for your positive comment. I hope it will reveal itself and yes I am really enjoying what I'm doing now so that's a start :)

Thanks for the article sdsnook. It simple and precise. Just what I needed!

Taru, yes definitely short term goals and then re-ajusting might just be the right tactic for me. Small victories in the beginning leading to a big one :D

Qraqq, It's great that one of your goals is to offer affordable and quality healthcare. We need more people like you in this world! ..and of course, having fun along the way is the key to success.

fredkawig
02-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Profit is the number one goal I have. Without it I would rather scrap the business or abandon it since it will just cause me headaches. Customer satisfaction is the second which makes more profit. Third is, quality product and service which would give the business a good reputation. These are the goals I have to achieve to maintain a good business and continue to prosper.

Edwardjames81
02-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Goals and goal setting is an important aspect of business that many new small business owners seem to overlook, which is a big mistake. Having clearly defined goals and objectives provides something specific to work towards and achieve, which will not only serve as a motivator but also a measure of success. If you don't know what you are trying to achieve you will never know when you actually achieve it. Wandering aimlessly from project to project is not good business practice and leads to inefficiencies.

When setting goals it is important to make sure they are Specific, Measurable,Achievable, Realistic , Timely. When setting goals you should always be thinking SMART.

Different businesses will have different goals therefore there aren't any fixed goals that all businesses should strive to achieve. If someone wants to succeed in business they must identify the key goals to their particular business and then set out to try and achieve them. So, advising a newb in the business world the goals they should set is not possible.

Goal setting is something that all small business owners should do, regardless of how long they have been in business. Setting a goal, achieving and then resting on your laurels is not a good idea as the world of business moves on and the small business owner must also move and keep up with the times, which means the goals will frequently change if the business is to flourish and survive.

sylviakanash
02-10-2014, 11:21 PM
I need to clearly define my target market. Knowing who my customers are and what drives their purchases allows me to refine my products and services to meet those needs. Surveys, questionnaires and sales reports can help me narrow this objective. This way I will maximize my revenues which is my main objective.

CeliVega
02-14-2014, 03:28 AM
My goals are just to reach a certain amount per month in profits, which then ties into my long term goals since a part of that monthly profit goes into my savings for capital that I plan to use in putting up another earner. I admit that I don't really reach my ideal monthly amount, but that only makes me strive even harder to actually achieve it so I don't end up delaying my long term plans for too long.

Well said. That is exactly what I am trying to do now.

caveman
02-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Goals and goal setting is an important aspect of business that many new small business owners seem to overlook, which is a big mistake. Having clearly defined goals and objectives provides something specific to work towards and achieve, which will not only serve as a motivator but also a measure of success. If you don't know what you are trying to achieve you will never know when you actually achieve it. Wandering aimlessly from project to project is not good business practice and leads to inefficiencies.

When setting goals it is important to make sure they are Specific, Measurable,Achievable, Realistic , Timely. When setting goals you should always be thinking SMART.

Different businesses will have different goals therefore there aren't any fixed goals that all businesses should strive to achieve. If someone wants to succeed in business they must identify the key goals to their particular business and then set out to try and achieve them. So, advising a newb in the business world the goals they should set is not possible.

Goal setting is something that all small business owners should do, regardless of how long they have been in business. Setting a goal, achieving and then resting on your laurels is not a good idea as the world of business moves on and the small business owner must also move and keep up with the times, which means the goals will frequently change if the business is to flourish and survive.

Thank you edwardjames81! I agree with all your points. I've learnt that you only get anything done by planning it out carefully. I'm glad you mentioned 'REALISTIC' otherwise you just get really disappointed at the end.

owesem75
02-16-2014, 11:07 AM
I suggest that you list down all your goals and categorize them into short-term, medium-term and long-term goals. This way, it will be very easy for you to accomplish it one goal at a time. Short term may include, "to break even", medium term may include, "to sustain income and be able to open another branch", and long term may include, "to expand into another line of businesses" (this should complement the current business). You can have as many goals as you like, categorizing it all will help you to know what are realistic, doable and achievable goals and will motivate you enough to go for it! GOOD LUCK!

Taru
03-03-2014, 01:18 AM
Profit is the number one goal I have. Without it I would rather scrap the business or abandon it since it will just cause me headaches. Customer satisfaction is the second which makes more profit. Third is, quality product and service which would give the business a good reputation. These are the goals I have to achieve to maintain a good business and continue to prosper.

Agreed, and this is pretty much how I approach things when I try to break down my goals into smaller and manageable ones, by which I mean I always just relate everything to profit. I think a lot of business owners lose track of why a business exists in the first place which is for this exact reason. Granted, there may be other supplementary factors, but overall I think the profits have to be prioritized because no business ultimately survives without it. Like you said, there are other secondary goals but they all pretty much relate to the income of the company and how to further build on it and expand it.

Rainman
03-03-2014, 05:56 AM
My primary goal right now is to get word out there about my services. I don't know how many people go around the web looking for the sort of services I offer but one thing I'm sure about after scouring the net for similar sites, is that no such site exists. So I suppose by finding the right long-tail keywords and writing quality articles, that laser-target the people who could use my services, in future, should they use the same search phrases to find these services, they'll find me.