PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's first business?

AlecD
02-06-2014, 02:06 PM
So I'm curious. Many of us small business owners have tried more than once at creating a successful business, for example, my very first business was a lemonade stand when I was like 8. Some of us are born-entrapanuers, others of us learn this skill as we grow older. What was your first business? Was it successful? Do you still own that business? Is that your only business? What are your other businesses, if any?

Leave your replies below! (:

DomDom
02-06-2014, 05:36 PM
So I'm curious. Many of us small business owners have tried more than once at creating a successful business, for example, my very first business was a lemonade stand when I was like 8. Some of us are born-entrapanuers, others of us learn this skill as we grow older. What was your first business? Was it successful? Do you still own that business? Is that your only business? What are your other businesses, if any?

The first business I was a part of was actually my dads company. He was a seller of all kinds of drinks to smaller stores and caffes in the area. It was a pretty big operation, around 40 employees! Due to the crisis it unfortuantely went bankrupt which made me go into a different direction in life! :)

TaraC
02-06-2014, 06:10 PM
The first money I ever made besides employment was selling on eBay. I don't really consider that a business though.

My first business was an electronic billing service which eventually turned in a VAR business. I didn't get many clients who wanted to outsource their billing, but I did get a lot of healthcare providers who wanted to buy the software that I was using. I did well, but I didn't enjoy it. My clients were pains in the rear. Also, people were a bit more fearful of personal computers at that time. I did more regular computer training than anything related to the software.

My father was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I farmed out my clients to spend his last days with him. After he died, I never went back into the business.

SimplySidy
02-06-2014, 07:44 PM

My first experience in business was my dads shop where he sold spares for repairing cranes and other heavy earth moving equipment. Though Dad still runs this along with my brother, I have moved on. I started out as a computer instructor and then took up tutoring as my business. Due to health issues, today, I work as a freelance website developer and consultant from home. Been a topsy turvy life out here, but still, I am pulling on...

eppie
02-06-2014, 11:02 PM
My first business is with my husband. We used to sell/trade mobile phone repair equipment, tools, and supplies (ex. hot air, soldering stations, rework station, etc..). It's okay during the first five years but since we're both doing it on a part-time basis (we're both employed then), the interest in continuing it died eventually. I guess the business could have been more successful if at least one of us resigned from work and focused on it more. But we're both afraid to leave our jobs then.

Well anyway, we both had fun then and we really learned a lot from that experience. We also gained a lot of business contacts from suppliers and customers alike. Some of those we still considered as good friends up to now. :D

sdsnook
02-07-2014, 01:37 AM
My first business was having children!!! They have flourished and I JUST know will be rich someday. Otherwise, I did run a home-based daycare and it was so successful that I couldn't take it so I shout it down after 2 years. You can be successful at anything you put your mind and heart in and it will flourish, despite this economy, despite all the sadness in the world I really think now is the time to grasp what your passionate about and do it! Good luck and enjoy your dreams!

caveman
02-07-2014, 05:40 AM
The first business I got myself into was at the age of 15 when I made my own customised necklaces and bracelets. It only lasted for a couple of months but from then on, I knew I wanted to do something along those lines. Now I'm selling shoes and jewellery and lovin' it. :)

fredkawig
02-07-2014, 07:17 AM
The first business I had was when I was a little kid and was reselling things such as candy and junk food. I was even selling stones XD. Yeah that was nice back then, there were people who were actually buying but some were ripping me off and getting my stock which eventually stopped me. I believe I was business minded at a very young age and maybe a born entrepreneur. :)

delusional
02-07-2014, 12:20 PM
My very first business was selling seeds for flowers.
I would harvest the seeds from the garden of my parents/grandparents and sell them within my family.
I really liked doing that and I even had a small drawer with all seeds nicely organised.

AlecD
02-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Oh my, that reminds me so much of myself as a kid. When I was probably about 10 years old my cousin and I would go around collecting rocks and drawing faces on them and selling them for something like 10 cents a piece! Hardly profitable for the time input, but it was definitely fun. I had forgotten that memory, and your post has drawn it back up. I owe you a thank you, it's not everyday we get to be reminded of childhood memories like that. ;D

DomDom
02-07-2014, 02:48 PM
The first business I had was when I was a little kid and was reselling things such as candy and junk food. I was even selling stones XD. Yeah that was nice back then, there were people who were actually buying but some were ripping me off and getting my stock which eventually stopped me. I believe I was business minded at a very young age and maybe a born entrepreneur. :)

Wish I could sell some stones for profit! When I was younger I also bought skirts and dresses for cheap prices and resold them to locals. Made small time money but at that time it was pretty great!

Jordan989
02-07-2014, 03:55 PM
When I was a kid I always checked out books from the library that had business ideas for kids, but I lived in a very small town in a rural area so a lot of the ideas wouldn't work. I do remember painting suncatchers and selling them to other kids at school. I also started a lemonade stand one day with my brother and two of our friends that were brothers.

pandandesign
02-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Well, I don't have my own business, but my dad has his own restaurant business in which I spend my years helping him right there I've finished college. The restaurant business is thus his very first business, which is not easy because he's worked harder than anyone else in the business, whom are my mother, one employee, and I. I remember our first year was the hardest because you don't really make money in the first year, which was just initially getting the business advertised, getting new and repeated customers, improving customer services, and things like that. It snowed so hard during our first year of business, which wasn't very good because most of our business were food-delivery business, which I would deliver food to customers' homes. Our business had gotten better starting our second year, which we just started to make profits, but still not as much as our third and fourth year. This is my dad's only business and we're still in business, but our business has been slowed down since last year due to swing economy and probably a small percent of competitions.

cassylexandra
02-07-2014, 11:15 PM
My first business came to be a reselling business. I had a rough start; I didn't choose the right place to get my products from, and they arrived in bad quality. In addition, I didn't have a clear margin for how much I wanted to profit, and it was hardly profitable. It took a while to organize, but I should have done better research at first):

oregano
02-10-2014, 05:55 AM
My first business venture was when I was 14 or 15 and my father was running a large clothing company. He would get a lot of samples, some of which just sat around in boxes. So I would take a few pairs of jeans, sweatshirts, shirts etc. to school and sell them to my friends. My father was so impressed with my initiative that he let me keep all the money and even gave me more items to sell.

DennisChang
02-10-2014, 06:46 AM
My first business is the business that I am running right now, for 9 years. I am running a software company, developing CRM and SMS Marketing products for businesses and organizations.

tspires2
02-10-2014, 10:09 AM
My very first business option was selling on eBay and I was one of those people who thought oh year it really is that easy just list it and sell it! Not really it's not however needless to say I messed that up tremendously! I do look to try again once I overcome the fear to restart and figure out the best way to restart!

DomDom
02-10-2014, 02:41 PM
My very first business option was selling on eBay and I was one of those people who thought oh year it really is that easy just list it and sell it! Not really it's not however needless to say I messed that up tremendously! I do look to try again once I overcome the fear to restart and figure out the best way to restart!

eBay is pretty hard. What kind of problems did you encounter? Bad buyers or lack of interest ?

Taru
02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
I used to sell anything and everything I thought I could get my hands on like second hand CDs, stickers and bracelets, but this was way back when I was very young and seeing as I was doing pretty much all of that without any semblance of a structure, I wouldn't really call it a business. I'd say my first almost official business was back in high school when I sold T-shirts with my classmate. We both got some decent profits off of it, but not really enough to make us want to move forward with it, so we ultimately just decided to scrap the idea and just enjoy our high school years with our friends. I wouldn't necessarily call it a failure, but it obviously wasn't as much a success as we had hoped it to be as well. We both learned a whole lot from that experience, though, and I'd say I probably now still use a lot of what I learned from that time in my life.

RickGrantham
02-10-2014, 10:01 PM
My first business was an online sports memorabilia shop. I lost a lot of money, but I learned a ton. I made a lot of mistakes.

This time around I am having much more success due to a few strategies that I learned along the way.

Rick

janineaa
02-28-2014, 10:15 AM
My first business was when I was back in college. I was selling accessories like necklaces, rings and bangles. It was fun because I got my friends to model them and I just posted it online and a lot of people actually bought from me. I got the supplies in bulk but only purchased the minimum order, so there wasn't any loss. It's actually not running anymore because of other priorities, but I can say that it's a fun business for a girl who was just in school.

FloatFunding
05-12-2014, 12:17 PM
My first business was when I was in middle school. I was playing tennis at Bolletteiri Tennis Academy where 100's of kids played. My brother and I started a racquet stringing business where we would charge $10 per racquet to re-string. Pretty awesome business since there was no overhead or costs involved other than your time. A family friend bought us some business cards and we handed them out to everyone we knew. It was a great learning experience earning money and hustling for every penny.

mattandshana
05-24-2014, 05:52 AM
My first attempt at building my own business was in Herbalife... and, I must stress ATTEMPT! My wife and I tried for almost a year and finally had to give up when we got to the end of the money. We didn't make a dime! In fact, at the end of it, we didn't have a single person in our down-line and we were stuck with about $2000 worth of inventory that we couldn't sell.

Despite the dismal results from that endeavor, I know that there was money out there to be made without trading my time for what other people decided that I was worth. We finally found a great program that has taken us through a lot of the stumbling blocks that people run into with online marketing and taught us how to negotiate around them. Like I said, a great program... if you're interested, click my link below and have a look for yourself.

Best of Luck,

Matt

Allan Madan
01-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Starting a business is a big decisions and there are several aspects to consider. Please refer to the link here. http://http://madanca.com/services/business-consulting/purchase-and-sale-of-a-business/.
The article outlines the details in what to look for in buying/starting a business.

Sincerely,
Madan Chartered Accountant
http://www.madanca.com

Davidrguernsey
10-06-2015, 04:23 AM
My very first business was selling skateboard.

NancyCKelley1
10-17-2015, 03:59 AM
My business in online music teacher

Europeanbreed
10-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Hello fellow members.

I’m currently conducting market research for a possible startup offering social media services to SME’s. I just need 10 minutes from each candidate e.g a business owner, to ask a series of questions. If anyone is willing to help a aspiring entrepreneur then please reply on this post with some contact details or PM me.

Hope to here from you all soon!
lucplessier@yahoo.co.uk

haniel488
06-08-2017, 08:19 PM
My father was so impressed with my initiative that he let me keep all the money and even gave me more items to sell.

Simona
07-13-2017, 12:19 AM
Business in China! If anyone here is interested in working in China, I have some information:
Certifications and licenses are more important than one would imagine in China’s business market and tax system. A tax residency certificate, for example, is crucial for multinational companies when applying for tax benefits under international tax treaties, or in cases where a foreign company wants to prove that their subsidiary is compliant to China’s taxation laws. In this article, we introduce what is known as a Certificate of Tax Residency (中国税收居民身份证明), and provide detailed guidelines on how foreign expats and enterprises can obtain the certificate.
The Certificate of Tax Residency is a legal document issued by the tax bureau stating that the foreign company/employee is in tax compliance. Applying to both foreign nationals employed in China and foreign companies operating as subsidiaries, the certificate is extremely useful when it comes to having domicile, sourced income or residence in a country other than that of one’s origin.

The purpose of this certificate is to act as a legal proof that the specified foreign national is both, and already, a qualified Chinese Tax Resident and has their respective individual income tax being withheld by their employer. It also provides relevant authentication for those who wish to provide documentation to their country of origin jurisdiction.

For more details feel free to contact me at: simona@opportunityguide.cn

JonesYun
04-24-2018, 04:16 AM
jones0630.x.yupoo.com

X-ITM
05-05-2018, 09:38 PM
free start up help for every one

Free Site Basics
As a free X-ITM user, you get basic website with a template of your choice from our list, we will leave the rest to you with administration panel, were you will also get 3 emails of your choice, storage limited to 200mb and a UK phone number and 1 extension on a VPN highly secured network, with music on old and pause options.

Make your free site as unique as you are.
Key features available to all users:
• We provide all of our users with top industry site hosting and multi Data Centre DR that keeps your site safe and secure.
• A free site includes 500MB of storage and up to 500MB bandwidth.
• All Free X-ITM sites display X-ITM logo.
• You may pick your domain name
• All domains are delivered with https:// urls.

Other Features and Service are available in different price plans please contact us for details and requirements

Eisenhower81
11-27-2018, 04:28 AM
When I was a kid I always checked out books from the library that had business ideas for kids, but I lived in a very small town in a rural area so a lot of the ideas wouldn't work. I do remember painting suncatchers and selling them to other kids at school. I also started a lemonade stand one day with my brother and two of our friends that were brothers.

Aios
04-17-2019, 11:09 PM
My team needs business partners in the field of public services online. Includes transportation, markets, IT services, etc. We need one person in each country. Please for those who want to join our team

Evelina
05-25-2019, 01:39 PM
lets do it together :))

moverdubai12
10-22-2020, 01:27 AM
Need a Business Idea? Here Are 55.

Bookkeeper. Experience, preparing or authorizing might be required. ...

Bike REPAIR. In numerous pieces of the nation, this business will in general be occasional, however you can discover ways around that. ...

Vessel CLEANING. ...

Marketable strategy SERVICE. ...

RIDE-SHARING DRIVER. ...

CLEANING SERVICE. ...

CHILDREN'S PARTY PLANNER. ...

Advisor.

speeduser
11-19-2020, 09:08 AM
The first business is really good. It will be a very unforgettable experience. - Phillip Elden (https://twitter.com/phillip_elden)

daviswilson69
03-25-2021, 01:11 PM
The first business which I professionally start is a consulting company name B/D Consulting Associates (https://www.bdcaonline.com/). I help people who are going to start their business and need help in FINRA or FINOP consultation and outsourced services. I help lots of people and some of them still come to me for consultation and that is a proud moment for me.