PDA

View Full Version : Self-Publishing

Ms.mitch28
02-06-2014, 03:10 PM
I have started to get more serious about my passion which is writing. I write poetry and have also started a children's book. I would like to get them published as well, I just do not know much about how to get started which is my stumbling block. Has anyone written a book? Is it better to self-publish or hire someone to help?

DomDom
02-06-2014, 05:51 PM
The best way to do it woukld probably be online publishing through Amazon. It really gives you the perspective on how much people like your work! You can put up your online books and yo uget around 70% of the profit if its over 3 dollars! I think its the best solution for a start because other things cost alot of money and are pretty risky considering you dont know if people will like your work.

TaraC
02-06-2014, 06:33 PM
It's very easy to self publish. Amazon has CreateSpace which will publish your physical book on Amazon at no charge. There is a small charge for the review copy, around $5 USD. If your book is over a certain number of pages, you can even get it distributed at other bookstores like Barnes and Noble.

If you want to create a strictly digital book, you can go publish through the Kindle Marketplace (Amazon) for no charge. There are some companies set up to help you for a small fee depending on what you need. There are plenty of people making money self-publishing.

sdsnook
02-07-2014, 01:19 AM
I agree with go thru Amazon. Check out a self-publisher on The Kerrie Show blog site. She has been publishing for herself for some time. She is also apart of a huge network of people who self publish. She's the one who got be started on Bubblews and you will find a good outlet to get started there. I am also working on a Novel and you can FB friend me to learn more of what I know. Good luck and happy publishing!!!

Ms.mitch28
02-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies, you all are very helpful.

am.nevida
02-09-2014, 06:46 AM
The best way to do it woukld probably be online publishing through Amazon. It really gives you the perspective on how much people like your work! You can put up your online books and yo uget around 70% of the profit if its over 3 dollars! I think its the best solution for a start because other things cost alot of money and are pretty risky considering you dont know if people will like your work.

I agree with you! But i think that you should also try to send your poetry and your stories to some publishers around your country, the most you write to the better! And don't worry if they don't reply right away, they take time to read and decide if the book is worth publishing or not! Good luck :) xx

Qraqq
02-09-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm not an expert, but try and read up on how famous authors did it. I'm sure the information is online. I'm sure you've heard that J K Rowling had to go through many publishers before getting a book deal for the first Harry Potter book.

All the best!

oregano
02-11-2014, 05:14 AM
To get your work published quickly and at no cost to (other than any editing, cover design or other help you might pay for), Amazon definitely offers great solutions for self-publishing. As others have said, Amazon's CreateSpace is good for print-on-demand physical books, which are only printed when someone buys a copy via Amazon.com. It's also possible for you to order a number of copies to be printed and sent to you, then you can place them in local bookstores for sale (you do have to pay for printing and shipping). You can publish the same book in digital form on Amazon's Kindle, which is also available on the Amazon sites. There are other alternatives for both digital and printed books, but for a first-timer, Amazon is probably your best bet as they have such good name recognition and they do part of your marketing for you on their site.

Although some authors still like the idea of getting a publishing deal with a big-name publisher, be aware that it's pretty hard as they have huge numbers of aspiring authors contacting them. It can also take up to a year for your book to hit the shelves, so you'll be making money a lot faster if you self-publish. You should also know that even big-name publishers expect the author to do some of their own marketing work.

Some successful authors have actually started out self-publishing, seen good sales and then used that as a way to negotiate a lucrative deal with a big print publisher, so that's another way to do it. Best of luck with your writing and publishing efforts!

CeliVega
02-14-2014, 03:34 AM
I am thinking of writing my own book as well and do not know where to start. Thank you for everyone who offered their help and suggestions in this topic.

Rainman
02-17-2014, 05:18 AM
Is it better to self-publish or hire someone to help?
Self-publishing is when you pay a publishing company to. . .basically print the book for you. They usually charge a specific fee for publishing a foreagreed number of books which you have to sell yourself. It's only advisable to self-publish a book if you have a ready market or if you are famous. Otherwise:

All you need to do is publish your book online and dispense with the cost of having to pay a publisher who won't help you sell your book. There are many online outlets where you can sell your books - Amazon Direct Publishing, Lulu, and many more. But remember you won't just make money from your book by listing it on those sites. You'll have to promote your book[s]. For example, you could write reviews of your books and post them on relevant sites. . .get on forums and subtly insert some links. . .it's very hard, but remember it's your persistence which will determine whether you make money from your book or not.

p.s Movie people have run out of ideas. Copyright your book even if you're selling it online. That way if someone wants to adapt your book for the screen, they'll have to pay you.

fredkawig
02-17-2014, 07:14 AM
It depends. If you want your book to be accessible based on your location, go with local publishers. You can also publish it as an E-book which can be accessible online and can be sold through Amazon and the like.

Bakerpat
02-17-2014, 12:13 PM
I am not a author but I have read that Lulu and Createspace good places to get started. Do you publish some of your work on your blog? Having a blog could be the first step of becoming self published. Going to local book activities is another way to find people that maybe able to help you with your project.

Good luck.

Rainman
02-18-2014, 05:01 AM
If you want your book to be accessible based on your location, go with local publishers.
Of course that would be the best option but publishers hardly ever accept [and publish] manuscripts by new writers who are not famous. So it would take a long time trying to find a publisher who'll read a book, it'll take quite some time to recover from getting a rejection letter so it's much better to save time. Publish your work online and if you have to pursue local publishers you could refuse to sell them electronic rights of your book. It's that simple.

TaraC
02-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Of course that would be the best option but publishers hardly ever accept [and publish] manuscripts by new writers who are not famous. So it would take a long time trying to find a publisher who'll read a book, it'll take quite some time to recover from getting a rejection letter so it's much better to save time. Publish your work online and if you have to pursue local publishers you could refuse to sell them electronic rights of your book. It's that simple.

Agreed. Plus, the author is still responsible for the marketing of the book. As the author, you'll only get pennies for each book. I think it's best to go the direct route. You keep most of the revenue for your efforts. You also don't have to find an agent, get the manuscript read, etc.

There are plenty of resources online if you know where to look. You can pay to have the book done for you or you can go the do-it-yourself route. CreateSpace, Amazon self-publishing arm, has a forum full of authors who help and support each other. Lulu has great templates that can be used for you first book. There are lots of Facebook groups of self-publishers that you an join.