PDA

View Full Version : 2 Major Things You Look For In A Potential Employee

dannyboy
02-07-2014, 04:58 PM
What are some things you look for in a person you are looking to hire for your staff? For me at look at the their work history first. This gives me an good feel for how qualified they are in terms of working a job. I then evaluate how confident they are when they interview. This gives me an indication of their personality and how they would interact with me as a boss. I think these are two things every employer must take serious. You need to be able to know that person has a history of working and know that they are confident enough to execute assignments.

oregano
02-10-2014, 05:49 AM
These are both important things to look at in a candidate for any job, but I would be careful to rely too much on a person's confidence as a good indicator of their actual ability to do the job properly. There are a lot of people who rely on their confidence to get a job and keep it for some time but don't really perform well because they simply don't know what they are doing or care enough to learn what they need to know. So make sure the person can walk the walk as well as talk the talk, before you make a hiring decision!

Edwardjames81
02-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I work in an industry that requires a lot of technical knowledge therefore this is the first thing I look for in a potential employee. During the interview process I set competency based questionnaires for candidates to complete, which includes technical questions and also a section of where the candidate would turn if they didn't know the answer - after all, it is impossible to know everything. I will also use the interview to ask technical questions 'on the spot' and see how the candidates perform.

I also work in an industry where you have to interact with different types of people including small business owners, company directors, entrepreneurs, the tax man, bank managers and lawyers so people skills are a must have. If the candidate does not possess the necessary people skills they are not going to do well in my organisation. During the interview process I call upon fellow professionals to help me out and see how the candidates reacts to each one.

Lodismel
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
For the kind of work that I do the most important thing to check would be their portfolio. This gives a really good sense of what they have done on past projects, and what they might offer in the future. It's good to recognize whether a person has potential as well. Some people may not have the best experience, but they may be better employees than some who have extensive experience. Stay somewhat open when hiring, but also cautious. There has to be a balance.

Taru
02-10-2014, 08:28 PM
I pretty much keep the same criteria for when I interview. I look for confidence most of all, but I am careful not to fall for artificial or manufactured confidence. I can tell when someone is just hyping themselves up for the interview, and there are those who you can easily tell are knowledgeable enough in their field to be calm and confident when asked about their capabilities. Also, I like to look at their personalities and see if they are the type that can get along with me and my current employees, I think that is still very important albeit being somewhat minor.

mikelouis
02-11-2014, 12:39 AM
Most employees will look at your work history. But what happens if a person is a fresh graduate and needs employment? In this case, their internship programs will help a lot in making a decision. It is important that the candidate presents a letter of recommendation from their internship supervisors. It should also be able to be verified in case need arises. This will tell you more about the candidate.

CSomm
02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
There is nothing more important than the interview. You have to trust your ability to read and understand people, and you have to believe that any information you've been given about this person (resumes, recommendations, etc.) are GOING to be misleading, by virtue of them being designed to promote, not inform.

It's important to remember, though, that your ability to read people is flawed---someone will come to you who reminds you of a friend, or puts on a good show, and you'll need to check work history and education references. Do your homework, and be prepared to occasionally still make the wrong choices. People are a difficult and volatile resource, that's what makes life so interesting!

LonerWolf
02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Well.. the first most basic thing I would want to check is his history and especially if he has any criminal past.. After that is off the board, well... the interview really helps to sort out the appropriate ones but you can also make a huge mustake by relying just on that.. There are great professionalists who just don't possess such fantastic communication skills but that makes them no less valuable! :)

DomDom
02-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Well.. the first most basic thing I would want to check is his history and especially if he has any criminal past.. After that is off the board, well... the interview really helps to sort out the appropriate ones but you can also make a huge mustake by relying just on that.. There are great professionalists who just don't possess such fantastic communication skills but that makes them no less valuable! :)

Exactly! I wish there was a way other than communication to evaluate how good someone is. Maybe some kind of a test would be good but the problem is you cant make a test for somebody without alot of experience in the specific business so it would probably be biased. How to evaluate if somebody is a hard worker? Thats the most important thing.

delusional
02-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Interest in the company and the things we do. And also what the person knows. I don't need them to know everything as long as there is a passion to learn more.

DomDom
02-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Interest in the company and the things we do. And also what the person knows. I don't need them to know everything as long as there is a passion to learn more.

I wish there was a way to measure someones passion. I have met people who can really fake and say things you want to hear.

gHiros
02-16-2014, 07:44 PM
I may look at three major things when I interview someone. I try to get a sense of whether the individual is detail-oriented or results-oriented. Rarely do you find individuals with both dominant traits. Bottom line, I look for results-oriented individuals. Also, if the individual knows a lot about the company, that's a plus.

CeliVega
02-16-2014, 09:57 PM
For me, the most important things are trustworthiness and having the necessary skills. I don't think any degrees matter if an employee didn't posses the skills or have what it takes to perform the task and duties for the job position. Sometimes I believe people may be genuinely trying to turn over a new leaf, so I think they deserve a chance even if they might have a "shady" past.

caveman
02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
As a college student, I know how it feels to be looked down by your previous job experiences so I try not to weigh in too much on it but rather see their skills and how well they would work together as a team.

arupmi
02-18-2014, 11:45 AM
I try to look for how much attention to detail the candidate displays. One interesting test was where I asked him to copy out a small paragraph, and see how many punctuation marks he left out or changed.

I also try to evaluate the reasons why he left his former jobs. This helps me determine if he is too fickle-minded to stay in one assignment.

SmartPea85
02-18-2014, 01:05 PM
I agree any letter of recommendations can be misleading, but not necessarily untrue. Of course the person writing the letter obviously agreed to write nice things about the job candidate, so they are trying to boost their best qualities. The validity of their statements comes from who they are: a supervisor? The president of the company? Or just a peer in the same field, possibly even a friend? Checking out the person's work history or portfolio is also a good indicator of what they have done, although not a good indicator on if they did it WELL. That's when the interviewer really has to ask good questions and get a good feel on the person to read between the lines of the resume.

angelicagapit
02-19-2014, 12:49 AM
Employees convey the aura of your business, so first and foremost, my employees need to learn how to smile. Smiling always helps when dealing with customers, and if my employee doesn't do it, then it doesn't build a comfortable relationship with customers. I need to know my employee will treat all customers equally, kindly, and with respect. But of course, we can't just hire a nice dude. The person must be skilled and experienced in their area of work. They need that thirst for knowledge, because when I hire people, I think of it as a learning process for both of us. I must also make sure that they have a passion for the job they are assigned to.

Radium
02-20-2014, 11:41 AM
For me the two key areas would be competency and passion. Finding employees who have both isn't easy but during interviewing I like to test both areas. A couple of written tests generally give me a good idea of whether they have the key skills that I would be looking for and a following interview with questions that focus on the business itself. If they show passion for the job and business then in general I find these to be a better indicator over only hiring them based on their history.

sofieb529
02-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Since I will be working in close quarters with someone inside the food truck or stall, I have to love their personality! Ideally it would be someone who has the same humour as me and just has a great attitude. Aside from that, experience is always negotiable but I want the person to have a real passion to learn!

M.K
02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Ambition/motivation and intelligence. I don't mean knowledge or education, but general wittiness and creativity.

adi004
02-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Interviews may be impressing (because that's how it supposed to be) but for me attitude is more important, as long as the person can do/learn the thing he/she is applying for then they can be an asset to your business but even if they are highly credentialed but has a bad attitude it'll bring your business down, unfortunately you wouldn't their attitude unless you hire them..

Nerohs
02-20-2014, 09:52 PM
These are all great suggestions, but slimming down our search preferences to two? This could be a little more difficult. For the sake of answering the question, two things that I look into an employee before hiring would be: Integrity, and responsibility. Wish I could say more, but usually people that have these two attributes are trustworthy people, and have good communication.

WeDontSleep
02-21-2014, 02:28 AM
The two things that I would look for in a potential employee are responsibility and a great attitude. I wouldn't want somebody who avoids being responsible and who clearly demonstrates that they don't like the work that they've been assigned to do. A person's attitude can greatly impact the overall mood of the office and I don't want somebody spreading their negativity all over the place.

apexa1
02-21-2014, 04:31 AM
If someone is actually passionate about what the company does, or whether they're plainly just looking for a job. And obviously a well spoken individual that can think on their feet and provide examples when they're asked for them in an interview.
And another is we definitely want someone thats responsible and has good initiative. That's my take on that

mameeker@cuse
02-21-2014, 02:27 PM
I would be hesitant to rely too much on work history depending on the age of a potential employee. Instead I would look at how the person presents them-self during the interview, additionally I would heavily consider their knowledge about the topic of their job. Finally I would consider the quality of their education.

MikeLevin
03-22-2017, 06:17 AM
As for me, employee working history is less important thing. I do not care why he had issues on last job or with previous boss. All I need is him to work properly with my company and be ready for everything

daphnie_43
12-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Exactly! I wish there was a way other than communication to evaluate how good someone is. Maybe some kind of a test would be good but the problem is you cant make a test for somebody without alot of experience in the specific business so it would probably be biased. How to evaluate if somebody is a hard worker? Thats the most important thing.

Exactly my Point!!! Background check is a must for sure and to be more precise I always use background-intel.com because it is very fast and accurate. I don't have to wait weeks to find out if I can hire the person.Second thing for me is decision making. I don't put experience here because sometimes wrong experience can lead to bad habits and this is very difficult to change. I prefer someone young and fresh who I can train the way I want as long as he/she has good logical thinking.

emilygilbert
02-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Hi dannyboy,
According to me, the two important things that every employee should have confidence and better communication with team members.
Thanks...

TheDogLine
04-01-2018, 02:39 AM
Those 2 things are correct but you also need to consider those people who has the ability to learn new things is essential in a small business employee. Recent graduates are an obvious choice if you want flexible minds that can acquire new skills with ease, but keep a special eye out for people who never lost their love of learning even after years on the job.

emilygilbert
04-18-2018, 06:57 AM
Well... Every decision is important when we hire an employee. But major things that we keep it in mind is: Never hire an employee who is only joining your startup for the potential financial gain. Hire the one who carried a very positive attitude, a lot of exuberance and an upbeat and sunny personality. Who will demonstrate a lot of potential and the willingness to grow and learn on the job.

dpkmlm
08-04-2018, 06:17 AM
According to me personal learning ability and employee love to do what they are doing..

deanwinchester1
09-25-2018, 12:41 AM
Communication Skills. ...
Honesty. ...
Technical Competency. ...
Work Ethic. ...
Flexibility. ...
Determination and Persistence.