PDA

View Full Version : hiring family?

lifeliveson
02-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I know there could always be bad issues of hiring family and friends.. I personally would hours my mom.. We get along really well, work as a great team, and she deserves a better job then she has... However I do have friends I would never even recommend for a job.. Have you ever done this? Or how do you feel about doing it.

mikelouis
02-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Well hiring family members has its own share of advantages and disadvantages. For example, you have to be not so bossy with them as you are afraid not to cross the family boundary. In this case, your workers will not respect your orders and the business might not do well. But in some cases the family members know that this is an opportunity to make a good business for their family and their children, so they might just most of their concentration on the work,

pandandesign
02-09-2014, 06:26 PM
I work for my parents, which at first I didn't like it because we had some conflicts. However, I have been working for my parents for about 5 years, which I think it is ok considering I won't be able to survive without working for my parents. I would not suggest to hire friends or relatives, family is ok, but hiring friends and relatives are probably the worst idea to do with when comes to business. I have hired my friend, and I did boss him around because I had my own sets of works and he also had his own sets of works. I felt it was hard for me to boss my friend around because he is my friend and I was doing this under my dad's order. I wouldn't hire friends and relatives unless you have no choice, which I would think it is better to hire someone you don't know.

TaraC
02-09-2014, 10:37 PM
I would never hire my friends or family. I have worked for a couple of family owned businesses and it just puts an unnecessary strain on the business including the employees.

I love my family, but I know that they would take advantage of the situation. I don't believe in living with friends so I wouldn't want to hire them to work for me.

oregano
02-10-2014, 04:29 AM
Each situation is different, of course, but as a rule I would say don't hire family and friends just because you know them and you want to help them out. They would have to prove that they are the best people for the job, just like anyone else. Sometimes family-run business can work very well if all the key people have the same objectives and philosophy, while in other cases they don't.

As for working with people you are close to, you need to treat them the same as anyone else too. In other words don't be tougher on them than regular employees, and don't give them any special favors either. If you can't handle that - keeping your relationships with them separate from the work - then it's best not to hire them!

sdsnook
02-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Above all else when it comes to business and personal relations, you want to take the higher ground. If your family and friends respect you enough to work for you, you in turn need to respect your own position that you not only have decided to be in but have also decided others to be in. If you are unsure about your own position this in return will make them unsure. You need to be direct, open and able to communicate what is expected as an employee or partner without letting childish or problematic issues to muddle the greater purpose of being in business. Bottom line you will use your leadership skills no matter what the relationships are in your business!

tspires2
02-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Hiring family can be a wonderful thing as long as everyone chooses to make it wonderful and the company really thrives! just remember once they are hired if the company takes a turn for the worst they must be fired and trust me when I tell you they will hold a grudge! Sorry to be so blunt just please think about that before you hire any family.

Lodismel
02-10-2014, 01:01 PM
It's not always the worst thing to hire family. You do have to be careful and make sure they are qualified. If the only reason that you are hiring them is because they are family then that is probably not good enough. You have to treat them similar to how you would treat any other employee. Keep that in mind before hiring someone even if they are your best friend or close family.

DomDom
02-10-2014, 02:42 PM
It's not always the worst thing to hire family. You do have to be careful and make sure they are qualified. If the only reason that you are hiring them is because they are family then that is probably not good enough. You have to treat them similar to how you would treat any other employee. Keep that in mind before hiring someone even if they are your best friend or close family.

I agree with this. Sometimes it can work but you really should think about it alot. You have to set the ground rules before you start out because it can strain your relationship with a person afterwards. You can lose friends and make enemies if your friends make poor employees.

Taru
02-10-2014, 07:18 PM
I've never had this opportunity before, nor have I had the opportunity to do so with my own family, but I have worked with my siblings once or twice and they were pleasant experiences for me to say the least. I think I would definitely hire my family if ever I had a big enough business to warrant such a decision, since it is them who I could trust most in this world. As for the problems down the line, I'm confident that those can be avoided with a few precautions and proper communication, but I do agree that it is still somewhat risky to do so.

CeliVega
02-14-2014, 03:43 AM
I think it's important to separate the boundaries between our personal lives and professional lives. When you can't actually differentiate between them, things can get pretty ugly. Do you punish your staffs for wrongdoing if they are your family? If you don't, you are setting a bad example and your reputation might be tainted. But if you are too strict, your personal lives will be the one to suffer as your relationship between that family members of yours are strained. It's important to keep a middle ground between them. Some just choose to never hire a family though.

fredkawig
02-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Hiring family is the cheapest, most-cost efficient way of procuring employees. The downside is when you are over paying and spending too much for family members which becomes more of a liability than income. Family disputes is another source of conflict with family members. That's why it's not the most ideal source of hiring employees to work for you and your business.

delusional
02-14-2014, 09:19 AM
I will never hire anyone of my family. The only exception might be my wife but that's a big doubt. It's just to much trouble whenever someone of your family doesn't do a good job.

jubvman
02-14-2014, 09:38 AM
I guess hiring family can have some benefits depending on the circumstances however, I personally wouldn't do it. What happens when said family doesn't do a very good job? You'll either have to put up with it, or fire that person which will harm the relationship you have.

I think it's best to keep personal matters and business matters completely separate.

DomDom
02-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Looking from the other side, maybe you can spot a great employee in your family. You know their habits and if you spot someone who works hard and tries hard you might have just found yourself an exceptional employee.

alec
02-14-2014, 01:47 PM
I guess hiring family can have some benefits depending on the circumstances however, I personally wouldn't do it. What happens when said family doesn't do a very good job? You'll either have to put up with it, or fire that person which will harm the relationship you have.

I think it's best to keep personal matters and business matters completely separate.

Well said!

As I wrote in another thread, we work together as a family in our personal business. Being a small one this works well since we don't have to hire any outside people. Me, my parents and my sister are all it takes to manage it properly. Going further from this and hiring cousins and other relatives will just complicate things. And since for a regular employee you do some screening and background checks why would you hire cousin Jim that you already know about, that's lazy and likes to smoke all day? :) You're better off hiring someone that works for his paycheck and regards his job as what it is, a job.

crimsonghost747
02-15-2014, 07:36 AM
If it's a family business then I see it as a good thing. However if it's a company you've started on your own, then I'd do my best not to hire family or friends... especially friends. It could easily lead to problems such as them coming in late etc. because "it's ok, we're friends."

delusional
02-15-2014, 04:38 PM
I was thinking about this again. I think a lot of businesses started out as a family business. I'm just a little biased because the field of business I'm in doesn't really lend itself to be a family business.
I have worked for my uncle when I was younger but that was just to get some extra cash, not really as a fulltime job.

CeliVega
02-16-2014, 05:05 AM
I found it interesting that most actually didn't have high regards on hiring family members for businesses. I guess it's really bad and troublesome when you try to cut cost by straining your relationship with your family members. Has anybody actually has a success story with family-based businesses though? I really think they are many more good examples out there.

caveman
02-16-2014, 10:36 AM
It depends on what kind of relationship you have with them. Even if you hire someone really close to you, it might not work. But my sister and me are actually partners in our business and I absolutely love working with her. I know what she likes and how she is and the same goes for me and so we get things done a lot faster. I think it's all about clicking with another person. Just like any other corporate businesses where in some cases you might get along with some of the co-workers and you don't mind working along side some. I guess it is still a little risky with family because you might lose them in the process.

Bakerpat
02-17-2014, 01:15 PM
I hired my friend which has worked out fine. We do not have to see each other every day just a few time a month. It does get to be a challenge when we have to be together for several days in a row as we are driving all over the state getting information from courthouses. Out work ethnic is similar which makes the pairing work fine. I also just hired my grandson to do some scanning for me which is great. It is amazing that this 14 year old boy has the skills on the computer that he does have. He also does some paperwork for his mother on excel with no problems.

SmartPea85
02-18-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't think hiring family is a good idea. It seems like the stress and issues of the workplace can mix with family issues and that makes for an unstable and unproductive work environment. I'm thinking of someone I knew who opened a "family-run" bakery. He hired his parents, sisters, cousins, everyone in the family helped out, which was nice in the beginning but once the business began to slip and it finally closed, tensions were running high and family members felt bitter because they felt there was unequal treatment and opportunity. Now not just 1 guy was out of work, but pretty much his whole family, who had invested a lot of time and money to help him out and be part of the family bakery. I'm not sure how they are as a family now that the bakery is closed, but I would think there might still be that resentment and bitterness floating around. That makes for awkward holidays... Just seems like a bad situation to mix family + business, even if it feels good in the beginning.

angelicagapit
02-18-2014, 11:56 PM
I currently work for my family business right now and it's not so difficult actually. I can honestly say that it's nice to work with family. You get to spend time with them, and you always feel the need to impress them, and they, on the other hand, want to impress you too. They say it's risky to hire family because if they don't do work so well, you'll have to fire them or what not. It's always a consideration to give second chances. Think of it as a learning process for both of you. And if ever a family argument arises, it should not be brought into the office. The issue should be taken care of as a family, not as coworkers.

basmae
02-19-2014, 03:30 AM
I worked for my parents for about 2 years before venturing off to another career. It's not that bad as long as all parties involved are committed and professional at all times.
I do agree about not working with your friends though. Most of mine would not be able to handle the workload and would probably just mess around all day long.

mameeker@cuse
02-20-2014, 12:24 AM
In my own personal experience, the family members of the owner of a business end up working the hardest because they care about the owner. Of course there will be many arguments and confrontations between the two family members, but the good out weighs the bad. Especially if your family member is in desperate need of a job I suggest hiring them, you do not want to be the family member who could of helped but chose not to.

LindaKay
02-20-2014, 01:05 AM
I think it can either go really well or really badly. In most cases, it will go badly. I think it's a better idea not to if you can help it. If you do hire family, I would hire them for a behind-the-scenes job at least.

Radium
02-20-2014, 10:04 AM
I don't have much experience with hiring any relatives but I do have some experience with working with a friend in the past. I find that people you know personally tend to take liberties especially if you try and get them to do something they don't want to, unless you can really rely on them I wouldn't risk it. It can put you in a tough spot especially when it comes to matters concerning money, there's a reason they say never do business with friends or family.

sofieb529
02-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Its a tricky thing. I know of two brothers who no longer talk after going into business together and failing horribly. I needed my family at the start because I could not afford to hire anyone and at food events where I need help they have still come through for me without issue. I keep it simple; let them know how much I'll pay them and set the hours. i do not ask for them to do extra work for free. Their time that they give me is more than enough. By keeping it this way I maintain good relations.
As for friends, some are great people to have fun with but I know their work ethic and would never hire them! Sounds horrible but I just couldn't risk the money on them!

erikao1o
03-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Hiring family can definitely be a touchy and difficult situation. On one hand, you can get some really outstanding employees that you know really well and can truly trust. On the other hand, you can end up with employees that you feel as if you can never really discipline of fire. I think it really depends on the specific employee and the employer. Make sure you know the family member that you're hiring very well so you don't get stuck in an uncomfortable situation.

janineaa
03-08-2014, 05:38 AM
As much as possible, I would avoid hiring relatives as employees because I think it is inefficient. As an employer, you would have difficulty ordering family members around and telling them what to do. Another point is when there are personal issues in the family, it will be brought to work. Before hiring a family member, to want the working relationship to work, both must agree as to what kind of setting it will be at work and at home, and that both must learn to compartmentalize for productivity.

dora M
03-08-2014, 06:30 AM
Hi, I think that hiring family members can work very well if you set up some rules beforehand. Perhaps even put it down in writing, so that if any disputes should arise, you have it all in black and white. I know it doesn't sound all that friendly but, in my experience, whenever money is involved, it doesn't matter who you are dealing with, you never know if your brother or cousin suddenly thinks that he is being treated unfairly and feels compelled to negatively interfere with the business.
A friend of mine worked with his mother for almost 12 years, when he found out that she had been stealing from him large sums of money over several years. She had four secret bank accounts where she had stashed it away. And all the time my friend never suspected anything because he trusted his own mother and didn't look into the books often. So, I think if you can agree on certain terms before you start working with a family member, you will probably do quite well.

gadgetised
03-08-2014, 06:48 AM
I think it is generally best to hire outside the family. You want your staff to feel under pressure to perform well. Family can get a little too relaxed about things, which in the end is not the best for your business.

DomDom
03-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I think it is generally best to hire outside the family. You want your staff to feel under pressure to perform well. Family can get a little too relaxed about things, which in the end is not the best for your business.

Unless you have a workaholic in your family who has the same desire to further the company even more!

difrancprod
03-10-2014, 03:40 AM
As long as the family member is capable of doing the job then I don't see any problem. If you think they will be able to manage it then it's cool. Otherwise, don't risk it.

jfab
03-10-2014, 05:25 AM
This may not be a good idea for some although I think it's best in a way. I will hire someone in my family only if they are going to be serious about it. But if not, then it's best to hire outside.

crimsonghost747
03-10-2014, 07:37 AM
To add a bit: I'd never hire a family member if I'd have another employee, outside of the family, who could do a similar job. This is of course in a normal situation where my family member would already have a job, if he/she was out of money and no job then yes I'd hire her if possible.

But if there is a clear employer/employee relationship, then it's best not to involve family. If it's more casual, then it could be ok.

Eagles910
03-10-2014, 11:19 AM

To be honest it depends on the family member that you are thinking about hiring. If they are your family member. You should know their general temperament, and work ethic. If they have those good qualities then you should definitely hire them. If they don't. You shouldn't consider them at all.

mikka254
03-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Work and family is never a good idea. Actually, anything financial mixed with family is never a good idea. An example is my cousin and my uncle. My cousin went to work for my uncle but the money started to disappear. When my uncle asked him, he didn't have any reasonable answer and now there is bad blood between my uncle and my cousin. Work and family is never a good idea, especially is it's a subordinate staff.

Athenagdlyt
04-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Sometimes, the practice of hiring family or relatives is a cultural thing. This is very common among Asians, particularly Chinese, and among Italians, where family ties are very strong even in business circles. I think the main consideration to this decision is the trust factor for this is the hardest to achieve and keep among strangers. The greatest disadvantage in this setting is the abuse factor. Family businesses are always prone to abuse.

stacyje
04-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I love my friend and family , but I would never refer them to any job, not saying this to be mean , but I get this feeling that I am responsable for anything that they may do on the job. I feel if they mess up or something im on pins and needles cause I got them hired and referred them. So to keep this from happening I just dont do any recommendations at all.

loraanna
04-03-2014, 12:13 PM
No matter how you do it hiring family is just not a good idea. They will feel like they don't have to do as good of a job, and the personal relationship will interfere with the business. I hired my cousin, it didnt work and we haven't spoken in a few years now. Good luck to anyone doing this I hope your situation works out better than mine did.

sweetkymom
04-03-2014, 05:33 PM
I would hire family and friends if I ever had the opportunity of owning something that requires employees. My brother and I work so good together that I would personally put him in the higher up category. Everyone would be treated fairly and yes, rules apply to everyone! It would be a risky situation however.

HeinrichM
04-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Family and friends do not mix well with work and money. I have been in business with my mom before and things worked-out well. There are a lot of horror stories out there about working with family. In the end it would depend on the strength of your relationship and the types of personalities in play. You do not want to put your relationships at risk and working closely together in a pressure environment can bring some form of tension. If you have workers in your business they might become negative and feel threatened when you start employing family members.

jesslee
07-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Well situation also matters here but I don't like to work with friends and relatives.With the family it is OK but sometimes it also create some differences between the family members.Simply I want to say that doing a business together can effect your personal relationships.

Resource9
07-28-2014, 05:55 AM
It is all about who is the right fir for the position. If you think that any of your family or friends are right for any office position, then you might as well offer them to do it. After all, it will benefit your business. However, make sure that you are strictly professional in the office.

alishroy
08-13-2014, 01:40 AM
I never hire a family or friend because in office there is professional life and if we hire family or friends then may be lose my personal relationship with my friend or family.

hectorconey12
08-17-2014, 09:31 PM
I tend to stay away from the idea of hiring a friend or family member. I once tried doing this but it backfired on me. I was the one who had to re-do the work.

taxcpa
08-19-2014, 11:08 AM
I have done it. It can work out fine so long as you have two separate relationships, the family relationship and the employment relationship. Don't mix the two. Don't try to be boss at a holiday dinner and don't bend the rules at work for a family member. In the end, this makes it work out better. I know from experience.

dragon1991
08-20-2014, 02:10 PM
If you need someone to work for a while, choosing family is a good option.

MahaKarthi
10-16-2014, 04:48 AM
I found it interesting that most actually didn't have high regards on hiring family members for businesses. I guess it's really bad and troublesome when you try to cut cost by straining your relationship with your family members. Has anybody actually has a success story with family-based businesses though? I really think they are many more good examples out there.

sjphill
11-18-2014, 05:04 PM
I hired my daughter several years ago and a Nubie employee. Teaching her the business and working with her as my direct employee was just a different form of child-rearing. She's 24 now and I'm proud of the development in management and accounting skills she's shown. If the business is successful long term (we're 9 years old) it will partially be to her hard work and sacrifice, and the payback she gets in my retirement and estate plans will reward her more than a salary.

tim88
11-19-2014, 04:02 AM
I will just say my point of view for your query, hiring family member has more demerits over merits. We can't order them or question them for any kind of failures. We will be in a difficult situation to fire them if suppose they does some unbearable mistakes.So, it's better just to appoint them as a guest staff or in some honorable position not permanently but for temporary assignments. I do own a new concern and i will just ask opinions from my friends if required, nothing more than that.

Allan Madan
01-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Hiring family members may be a good idea since they can be a great asset to the company.
However, hiring family members will result in Employment Insurance to be exempt from payroll.

Sincerely,
Madan Chartered Accountant
http://www.madanca.com

MahaKarthi
02-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Hiring families or friends have the advantages as well as disadvantages. The advantage is that you can freely and openly ask them what you actually want from them. The main disadvantage is that you cannot be boss and you cannot be very strict with them as this may bring a dispute in your relationship. So, consider all the factors before hiring the relatives or friends.

Allan Madan
02-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Hiring family members definitely has both, advantages and disadvantages.
From a tax perspective, there may be beneficial tax planning strategies. However, there may or may not be problems from a employee-employer perspective.
It is important to consider all factors before working with a family member

Madan Chartered Accountant

vedomedia
06-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Every person and family is different... i would just think about it and see what they think and say, then go off based on that...

bonnie123
09-15-2015, 01:18 AM
In most of the cases it badly effect the family relation.

cwvps
09-15-2015, 03:46 AM
I worked for my parents for quite a while and I felt like doing it for myself, which actually was the case. They were showing me how to do the business since I was 12 years old and I was working for them until I was 20 years old. I believe this is one of the most precious experiences in my life until now. Right now my husband and I are preparing a business plan together. I'm not sure how this is going to work, but I think that it has to be good. Hiring a member of your close family is a good idea - husband, wife, kid; hiring relatives and friends is a bad idea, a recipe for bad relationship with them afterwards. My parents didn't have a good experience hiring a relative, so I saw first hand how that can play out.