PDA

View Full Version : Do you work for your family?

pandandesign
02-09-2014, 06:30 PM
My dad has a restaurant business in which I have been helping him since the year of 2008. At first, I didn't like helping my parents because I didn't have freedom and got no time to do whatever I wanted. However, I have found that working with my parents turned out very well because I still had my freedoms and time to do whatever I wanted. It was a job security, you know, which I thought I quite enjoyed working for them. Do you work for your family? What is the experience like?

DomDom
02-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Ised to work with my dad and I really liekd it for several reasons. As you said you always have job security. The second thing is that basically you are working for yourself which motivates you alot. One day the company will be yours. So it made me think creatively and actually want to go to work every day and work hard. I think its a good idea if you are a driven person and you can fit your family business type well.

Taru
02-10-2014, 07:15 PM
None of my family members own a business, and personally, I would have loved to just been able to work for or with my family after I graduated. I agree with you that it is incredibly nice to feel as a security no matter what size the business is, and it also probably will teach a lot that we can't learn in school. It's a big reason as to why I am choosing to hopefully build something substantial and stable for myself so my future family will have something to lean back on when I do start my own family one day.

Kteabc
02-11-2014, 12:56 AM
I worked for my family for 6+ years. The main owner was my mothers husband and we did not get along well when I was a teenager, they were married when I was 15, tough age ya know. There were many hardships working for them. They expected more from me than others and came down harder on me if a mistake was made. We do have a large amount of cash that is brought in each evening from the sales people that work at each location and myself and my mom & stepdad are the only ones allowed to "check in" every evening. Before becoming a partner they expected me to stay late, past 7pm, at least 5 nights of the week while they only stayed 2. We are open 7 days a week during our "season" which is 8 months out of the year. We have grown into one of the largest businesses of our kind in the world and have had the ability to hire others to do such tasks now, with cameras that we watch in real time on iPhones and computers.
Working with family can be a blessing or a nightmare, you have to separate home from business. At the office everyone has a job to do no matter who they are reporting to.

delusional
02-11-2014, 03:31 AM
I have worked for my family but only as a student job. I also do some chores and some computer work for my family but it's more of a friend service. I get payed but I don't choose to get payed, they just give me money.

Francisco23
02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Once upon a time I did. I worked for my brother in my youthful years. When I was a teenager I worked at his restaurant. It was an enjoyable experience. I was sorry when they closed down the business. Working for family can be good and bad. It all depends on the type of parents/family members you have, and their attitude towards you.

DomDom
02-11-2014, 05:42 PM
I have worked for my family but only as a student job. I also do some chores and some computer work for my family but it's more of a friend service. I get payed but I don't choose to get payed, they just give me money.

Wish I had some family who gave me money right now... :D

blessbajoy
02-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Sometimes it's quite hard. But the feeling is great, very fulfilling.

CeliVega
02-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Working for your family is great. Especially if your superiors are your parents. Think about it, they have been raising us from ever since we are born till now. One of the way we can repay their kindness is to work for them. It's one way of saying "Thank you for raising me to be such a fine person and I am proud of this business that you are doing". And it's also great that you can still see them so often.

TaraC
02-13-2014, 02:21 AM
No, I don't work for my family. I would never do that. My mother wanted to start a family business. I was going to opt out but, it never got off the ground. I have some serious slackers and control freaks in my family. Life is just too short.

Rainman
02-13-2014, 03:28 AM
I worked once for in a business that was jointly owned by my sister and her husband. I was very young then but what I went through then is something I never want to face again. It's not just the high expectations that weigh down on you, it's taken for granted that you're trustworthy which means you are expected to snitch on your co-workers even if all they do is sneak away five minutes earlier. . .or come in late.

Right now, if I want my kid to get into business, I'll simply provide some capital and tell him to start his own business.

smartmom
02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
My mother is a fashion designer and has owned her own business for more than 35 years. I have worked for her a lot over the last 20 years but deemed it necessary to start my own business. I just needed that independence and to do something on my own. Plus it is not always easy to work for your mother. I love what she does but her business is not my passion. I help her a little now here and there but I feel much better on my own.

mikka254
02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
My dad has a restaurant business in which I have been helping him since the year of 2008. At first, I didn't like helping my parents because I didn't have freedom and got no time to do whatever I wanted. However, I have found that working with my parents turned out very well because I still had my freedoms and time to do whatever I wanted. It was a job security, you know, which I thought I quite enjoyed working for them. Do you work for your family? What is the experience like?
Working for your family is tricky business. I do not have any experience working with family, but I know that family and money is like oil and water. What I can advice you to do is to try to be a dependable individual when at the family business. Realise that that is a business and not a home and make sure that you do not bring grudges from home to the workplace.

DomDom
02-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Working for your family is tricky business. I do not have any experience working with family, but I know that family and money is like oil and water. What I can advice you to do is to try to be a dependable individual when at the family business. Realise that that is a business and not a home and make sure that you do not bring grudges from home to the workplace.

This is true. My dads company was stuck with 2 cousins of mine who performed subpar on their jobs. Unfortunately if you want to have good relationships inside of your family its almost impossible to get rid of bad family employees so you should really think about it before you hire!

alec
02-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Depends on your relationship with the family really. If it's tense, working with them is probably not a good idea. Everything works well and you get along just fine? Join the business and work together! You get the security of a job and preferential treatment as an employee, what's more to ask. Also, the chance that one day you'll be taking over to run the trade yourself is higher.

I still work in the summer with my family and things are running smooth but that's because we are very tight and the common issues like money and who runs the thing do not concern us.

pandandesign
02-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Ised to work with my dad and I really liekd it for several reasons. As you said you always have job security. The second thing is that basically you are working for yourself which motivates you alot. One day the company will be yours. So it made me think creatively and actually want to go to work every day and work hard. I think its a good idea if you are a driven person and you can fit your family business type well.

I agree. It is much better working for a family because I do get the freedom I want. I have my own set of hours and pace. Plus, most of my friends don't like working for the family. I'm probably the few people who prefer that. So, did you take over the business? Or did you work something relate to your family's business?

pandandesign
02-15-2014, 01:35 AM
Working for your family is great. Especially if your superiors are your parents. Think about it, they have been raising us from ever since we are born till now. One of the way we can repay their kindness is to work for them. It's one way of saying "Thank you for raising me to be such a fine person and I am proud of this business that you are doing". And it's also great that you can still see them so often.

I agree. I don't ask for any pay or monthly salary or wage just because I technical work in a place. I work for my parents for what I have chosen to do, plus they are my parents and I think nothing is more important than family besides your own health. Well, I don't mind working for my parents, and sometimes I do get yelled at, but in the end it's just for a good cause.

CSomm
02-18-2014, 10:14 PM
I've never worked for my family, but I can't think of anything that would cause me to work harder than the possible bankruptcy of the people who brought me into the world. It's not a fair burden to be placed on anyone, but some people like the challenge and relish the chance to spend more time with family every day. It certainly would make me the favorite son, and it would be nice to constantly feel the pride that your family has in you and your efforts.

angelicagapit
02-18-2014, 11:37 PM
I do work for my family. My family currently has two businesses, one is a cafe and the other is a one-stop shop wherein you can pay your bills, book your flights, send money, or load your prepaid phones. I work for the One-stop shop and I honestly don't get paid that high since it's family. But I get free food and they provide me my place to live, so I can't complain with the many benefits they give me.

MrLuke
02-21-2014, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't dream of working for my family. It's too much of a personal position, with a less important decision making technique that may be used by your relatives, due to the close relationship. Also, it wouldn't me much of a learning experience in my eyes. Working with people you don't know enters you into a new group of people, and lets you bring your other side out. It builds your skills in team working as well.

stacyje
02-21-2014, 11:38 AM
I sister has an hair salon and on some days when Im not working I go over there on the weekends and work. I can say it a great experience, I loved to work there I get to help customers and wash and do hair. Sometimes my sister and I clash but that only when she wants me to come on certain days that I just dont want to casue she has so many people schedule. I never had any problems with payments or anything.

Radium
02-21-2014, 01:54 PM
I worked alongside my cousin doing removals with my uncle's removal business when I was younger. It wasn't too bad but it was pretty physically demanding, though he paid me pretty good for the time. I would say it depends entirely on who you're working with and how they treat, personally I would stay clear of hiring relatives but I wouldn't particularly have a problem with working for them, as long as they'd hire me.

DonnaIReilly
02-22-2014, 07:19 PM
No, I don't work for my family. I work for myself these days. I did once work with my dad though doing gardening. He has his own gardening business, so when i was younger i used to help him out for extra spending money. Nowadays I have my own Web Content Business, so i work from home, for myself. I did love working for my dad though it was very enjoyable.

autograph
02-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Yea, I did before. Basically, you are an employer yourself as well. Other employees would not see you as equal with them, they recognize you as the boss' son. I do not really like the idea though, because I do not feel challenged. It is like people will just agree with anything you say. This practice would not be good for the family business until you are officially the boss.

M.K
02-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Nope. My parents are academics and I don't have the educational background to work in the "family business". I would definitely work for them otherwise. Pride can go a long way in optimizing productivity and success.

pahagwl
02-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Its very advantageous when you are working for a business which is owned by one of your parents. This is due to the reason that you get a very good level of job security and very flexible working hours. It is also beneficial in the sense that you feel a part of the business as it belongs to your family. But like everything in the world, it has its fair share of disadvantages, like that you might not be able to earn a similar amount of respect and stature amongst your co-workers which you might have been able to earn at a different business. I worked for my family business for a while but I quit because I was not able to achieve the things which I wanted from that job.

sofieb529
02-23-2014, 09:46 AM
I haven't worked of my family but I am not against helping anyone.The issue is if you make a long term commitment to a family member's business it can take a toll on your relationship. For my own food truck business I have hired family members on a one time basis for events and that has worked out well. I don't want anything to jeopardize my relationship with them and of course my business so I truly believe its best to keep them separate.

sofieb529
02-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Also I just wanted to add that its really important to have consistency. Regardless if the employee is family or a stranger you need to keep the same standards and guidelines. Have them sign a contract, keep the pay rate the same and along with that, your expectations of them.

mikelouis
02-23-2014, 11:55 AM
I think working for your family is actually great, you can work under no much pressure to deliver unlike working for someone else. I have experience working for my father and I loved it because I could get to work on what I really wanted. But also I had to break away because I needed to do something of my own. Which I think is normal for anyone.

DomDom
02-23-2014, 02:59 PM
I think working for your family is actually great, you can work under no much pressure to deliver unlike working for someone else. I have experience working for my father and I loved it because I could get to work on what I really wanted. But also I had to break away because I needed to do something of my own. Which I think is normal for anyone.

The main question is actually is it great for the family that you are working for them? :D
The pressure is the thing that makes the employees do great work, if you dont have it you probably wont work as hard and thats something you dont want in your business!

CeliVega
02-23-2014, 09:47 PM
A new thought just occurred to me. Working for family might be bad for the overall morale of the rest of the employees if you have obvious prejudice with your normal employees and your family members. When a normal staff receives any kind of punishment and a family member gets a free pass for conducting the same mistakes, it's a bad for the whole business because your fellow employees know you are not a fair boss and that family member will not be taking his work seriously because he will never suffer any consequences.

samm1973
02-23-2014, 10:26 PM
My stepfather owns his own business, and his son works for him. It seems to work for them, but I'm not sure it would work for us. We get along great, and I genuinely like him, but it's not in a field I have much passion for. I'd love to do some things for his business that I am good at, but I don't think he values my talents and would want to severely underpay for the services I'd offer. So, it's probably just better we don't give it a go.

fredkawig
02-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Yes. Kind of. We own a family business but we all reap the benefits of its operation. We own a boat rental in our city. And it's pretty nice specially this month due to the flower festival in our city. People flock towards Baguio this time of year for the Panagbenga festival and people ride boats all the time which boosts our income a lot specially since there are plenty of tourists.

sofieb529
02-24-2014, 08:09 AM
Yes. Kind of. We own a family business but we all reap the benefits of its operation. We own a boat rental in our city. And it's pretty nice specially this month due to the flower festival in our city. People flock towards Baguio this time of year for the Panagbenga festival and people ride boats all the time which boosts our income a lot specially since there are plenty of tourists.

It sounds lovely there!

Those are the best kind of family businesses; if every reaps the benefits then they all share a passion for its success and all work hard tougher for it.

darelle4
03-02-2014, 02:28 PM
I use to work with my dad and the truth is I use to be bored on the job because my dad will ask me to do petty things for him. Although it was easy my salary was not huge but then again it was not something I am passionate about.

DomDom
03-02-2014, 02:39 PM
A new thought just occurred to me. Working for family might be bad for the overall morale of the rest of the employees if you have obvious prejudice with your normal employees and your family members. When a normal staff receives any kind of punishment and a family member gets a free pass for conducting the same mistakes, it's a bad for the whole business because your fellow employees know you are not a fair boss and that family member will not be taking his work seriously because he will never suffer any consequences.

Exactly! The person doesnt work as hard or under the same rules and it basically gives you a bad employee and a group of unhappy employees which is all bad for the business!

ursell
03-19-2014, 04:52 PM
None of my family members own a business so I don't work for my family. Maybe it would have been nice if my
family own a business of their own.

Jane Hastings
03-26-2014, 12:20 AM
I worked for my family once but it was only for the summer. I enjoyed it but at the same time, I also felt a bit pressured. Maybe if it was a different job like something I'm really good at then I would have enjoyed it even more. But it felt good to know I contributed something even though it was just small. I also learned a lot from the experience. :)