PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

lee
12-09-2004, 06:15 AM
Hi, i'm a 20 year old college student and I am just about finishing my college course. I'm looking to set up my own sole trader/home internet business as I want to sell goods over ebay using the drop shipping/light bulk wholesale method and this sort of home business requires little outlay to set up. Also I already have some good experience of selling on ebay as I have been doing it for around a year now as a hobby.

I have already sourced a good list of suppliers but my first problem arises here. The suppliers I have found are all based in the US and I am in the UK. They state that they can ship internationally but they ask for a tax id to set up an account with them. Is this tax id only applicable to businesses in the US or is there a UK equivalent?

Also, will I need to register a business to pursue my dream of sole trading/dropshipping or is it possible to just get away with registering as self employed?
What sort of details do wholesalers ask for when setting up an account with them?
Also what would i need to set up a business bank account? I have visited the natwest website as i am currently a customer with them and they have an online form to fill in to apply for a business account, is it really this easy?

Any help on any or all of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

youngdumbandfullofdreams
02-28-2005, 02:17 AM
if you wanna buy wholesale: body jewelry, t-shirts, c.d's, stickers
here is what i have found thru experience:

body jewelry:
buy it online thru a wholesaler(google wholesale/product of choice)
and you wont even need a tax id#

t-shirts:
i usually buy mine from a korean lady who has a shop (id rather support a local business than a major corp. but thats just me.)

she originally asked me for my tax id, but after a while it didnt matter

stickers: i go to a local art supply store and always show my tax id, they sell the stickers for mad cheap! (bout 10,000@$100)

c.d's: i go directly thru the label. no tax id

the thing is some times youll be asked to supply one, in some cases it is just in general faith that someone sells it to you.
by having a tax id you will save some $ cuz everthing will be tax free!

as for your business licence and tax id (at least in the U.S):
usually available at your local major court house just ask the guard:
I need to get a business licence, where do i go?
trust me ANY GOVERMENT will be willing to take ur $, the officer will glady show you the way!

as for a business acct:
you have to provide the bank of choice w/ your tax id# and they will set you up w/ an account.\

this is what i know of the U.S in my own personal experience, trust me I know exactly what ur going thru, a newcomer hardly ever gets help, youll have to seek thru trial and error
w/ this forum i have noticed that the people are very well educated and have absolutely no help for the "im just getting started here" person (unless its some internet deal) but i guess its understandable as they have been in the game longer. they are like veterans and deal w/ major issues: payroll,hiring/firing,loans (oh yeah tons of fun),
but i like to check em out and see what they have to say.
ne questions feel free to email me"
eptv@email.com

emilia
03-15-2005, 06:43 AM
I don't understand what you are discussing. are you discussding buy the product from other country and sell them through the ebay? How can the foreign businessman ship the goods ?by the DHL or air package?
I am the exporter in china,and there are many liite cheap things such as the hair dresser ,the jacket, the decoration things, I can provide the things for you or just give you some information if you need.
My e-mail:emilialiucn@163.com

07-16-2005, 10:45 PM
If your interested in starting your own business, you can purchase the information we are selling. This information includes online books and audio made by people who have been successful in starting and growing their own businesses. It will show you step by step how to start and grow your own business.

500dollarsaweek.com (http://automaticcommerce.com/q.php?adminid=3&id=7)
Get Over $295 worth of Information for only $67 for a limited time only

novasparker
01-27-2014, 10:19 AM
The federal tax ID that the companies in the US are referring to are a little different than usual fed tax IDs. The ones they want are reseller tax ID numbers that you will get in order to allow you to purchase your goods without having to pay US sales tax. Wholesalers get them so that the suppliers don't have to charge and collect sales tax when selling to you. this is something that is usually reserved for US businesses only. Advise them that you are from the UK and it shouldn't be an issue. If they press you on it, you will most likely either have to register for a Fed tax ID, which you can on IRS.gov or find another supplier. The fed tax ID number is like a VAT number for your guys.

bonnieanna1986
03-09-2014, 03:32 AM
I think since you're just starting, dealing with international shipments will be a hassle. Have you exhausted searching for suppliers that are located in the U.K.? I do recommend being open to worldwide suppliers but the hassle of shipping could potentially cut into your profits.

fredkawig
03-09-2014, 08:18 AM
I think it would be better if you first start with in your locality or your country at least since shipping fees would be very cheap specially if they send it to the same state where you live in or within the European countries.

Ambulatory1
08-23-2014, 02:58 AM
I think it would be better if you first start with in your locality or your country at least since shipping fees would be very cheap specially if they send it to the same state where you live in or within the European countries.

i think the same..

Reliantcardprocessing
12-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Not sure if this would help anyone. I do merchant services, we have mobile swipers , counter-top , POS and more. If you happen to need a quote on rates feel free to give me a shout at anytime. THanks.

Simona
07-11-2017, 11:32 PM
We are a professional consulting company, called Opportunity Guide, specialized in bringing foreign businesses to the Chinese market.
We provide from A to Z all kinds of business issues, such as setting up WOFE, Consulting, Joint Venture, Import and Export, Trading company. We can also help you with working visa issues.
For more information check out our website at http://www.opportunityguide.cn
Do not hesitate to contact me to know more about us. simona@opportunityguide.cn

Chris_Tax
05-04-2019, 09:24 PM
You need to offer a totally different product to stand out.

kevincook
10-14-2020, 03:26 AM
Hi, i'm a 20 year old college student and I am just about finishing my college course. I'm looking to set up my own sole trader/home internet business as I want to sell goods over ebay using the drop shipping/light bulk wholesale method and this sort of home business requires little outlay to set up. Also I already have some good experience of selling on ebay as I have been doing it for around a year now as a hobby.

I have already sourced a good list of suppliers but my first problem arises here. The suppliers I have found are all based in the US and I am in the UK. They state that they can ship internationally but they ask for a tax id to set up an account with them. Is this tax id only applicable to businesses in the US or is there a UK equivalent?

Also, will I need to register a business to pursue my dream of sole trading/dropshipping or is it possible to just get away with registering as self employed?
What sort of details do wholesalers ask for when setting up an account with them?
Also what would i need to set up a business bank account? I have visited the natwest website as i am currently a customer with them and they have an online form to fill in to apply for a business account, is it really this easy?

Any help on any or all of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For dropshipping, you can go with Printful. It is quite popular for its services. And there is nothing like an interview session. You just log-on to their website and, fill in the details through registration, and you are done.

Lilykevin86
05-22-2021, 12:37 AM
Possibly one explanation beginning is so difficult is on the grounds that the manner in which we characterize ourselves is attached to our assets and we've failed to remember how to isolate stuff from self.