PDA

View Full Version : Curious About Your Home Business

Hostinv.com
02-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Just being curious. What kind of Home Business do you currently run? Is it based on an own website? Is it on E-Bay? How do you process your customers payments? etc.

Share your experience :)

CSomm
02-17-2014, 06:31 PM
I do have an Ebay account, and a few websites dedicated to various niche sales markets. I do some content writing and I have a few other ventures as well---all of this on top of my full-time job! I typically use PayPal for everything, although I have used Payoneer in the past. I think if you want to make money online, you need to try everything and find what works best for you. There are lots of opportunities if you keep looking!

CeliVega
02-18-2014, 08:19 PM
It's not me, but I have a friend who makes money through Adsense and Clickbank. I thought he was living an easy life at first as he doesn't need to go out to work, but then I realized he actually pour in a lot of dedication and effort into his online businesses. Last time I checked he got a few blogs where he would profit from Adsense and Clickbank, but I think now he has venture into selling homemade T-shirts online too.

angelicagapit
02-19-2014, 12:13 AM
We actually have a franchise of Via Express, which is a one-stop online site that allows us to process our customers' bills, book flights, transfer or receive money, and load prepaid phones. It's easy work if you're good with numbers. When it comes to processing customer payments, we only accept cash payments for our services and we process all of our services electronically with the help of our account balance. Once we only have a small amount in our account, we deposit into the bank in order to fill up our account balance again. It sounds confusing, but it's actually easier than it sounds.

Rainman
02-19-2014, 01:41 AM
It's not a business per se but if you make money as a middle-man it qualifies as business, right? Like most bloggers my goal is to, through the content I write, persuade prospective customers to buy the products I promote. Of course I plan on creating my own products to sell in future but till then I'll just be a 'sales person.' So technically, I'd call it a commission-based home business:)

JohnSword
02-19-2014, 02:13 AM
I wouldn't really call it a business, but I work from home creating content. I do graphics designs for T-shirts, which earn me a commission for each design sold. I have a few content blogs that is monetized with ads and affiliate links. I'm actually looking to start up a legitimate home-based business by this year, but it's currently still in the planning stages.

M.K
02-19-2014, 02:50 AM
I'm in the developing stage of a public hockey analytics website. Once I've completed the script, I plan to run a crawling engine that will process game sheets and extrapolate meaningful statistics. It should be a pretty low-maintenance site, with a unique product. I'm working on a zone-time approximate based on official play-by-play events. If it works reasonably well, my site will be the only source for NHL zone time approximates.

jubvman
02-19-2014, 03:28 AM
See my sig :D. Only had the site up for around 2 months now but it's going alright. Currently my only revenue right now is advertisement. Planning to sell apparel and supplements once my traffic grows.

Still have a lot of research to do regarding payment processing though, just confuses me!

fredkawig
02-19-2014, 07:43 AM
I'm doing resale of products which are of the physical kind. I am the one who delivers them the product and accept payments of cash through the buyer himself/herself. I do most of the mark-ups in the price quotations and give the best price possible to people who are buying products. So far I haven't been successful since I'm not doing well in advertising since I am in school.

alec
02-19-2014, 10:41 AM
I run a few blogs on different topics (mostly tech) that I monetize using a mix of PPC and CPA banners. This and a few other things on the side plus working on the family business with my folks in the summer keeps my busy and fed. Not really what I'd call a home business and surely nothing to brag about but we live in a digital era so I think it's a good choice and it doesn't hurt to learn about how things work on the internet.

Still, I'm considering going offline too, I'm not feeling safe with all my skills and assets based on the online medium. You never know when things go south and I'd be left with nothing.

SmartPea85
02-20-2014, 07:39 PM
I love reading everyone's experiences with home businesses because everyone seems so different! Some sources and outlets I have never even heard of. But this is a good thing. Personally, I have started a cupcake business out of my home and on the internet. I have made a website for by business and shared this on facebook and craigslist. I have also made business cards and put out free samples at my job, and spread the word as much as possible. At this point with my personal contacts and budget this is the most I can do, but I'm hoping word of mouth will help me carry out the news of my business and services.

CG7262
02-21-2014, 02:18 AM
Hey SmartPea85, glad to hear youre doing well in your business venture. I wanted to ask if you are doing this as a job on the sides, and if so, is it a hassle? I ask because im looking to get into baking to expand my cafes menu and between managing the place and waiting tables, i might not have time for it. Also, if its not too much to ask, do you have any books/recipes to recommend?

Lois5669
02-22-2014, 06:26 PM
My plumbing company is home based. I do all of the customer service, balancing of books, setting of appointments and getting contracts for work. I set up one empty bedroom in our house to convert into my office because I read that you needed a room for only business purposes in order to claim it on your taxes.

I still work outside of the home, but I do the plumbing business from home (and via my cell phone).

Something that this has led me to do, though, is to investigate other possible work from home businesses. I am currently looking into doing some contract work answering phone calls for customer service and billing. In addition, I found a great way to take my love for photography and make a buck or two (seriously..no more than that but pay for fun lol) by freelancing for insurance companies and realtors to provide them with photos of certain properties.

CG7262
02-23-2014, 09:25 PM
My plumbing company is home based. I do all of the customer service, balancing of books, setting of appointments and getting contracts for work. I set up one empty bedroom in our house to convert into my office because I read that you needed a room for only business purposes in order to claim it on your taxes.

I still work outside of the home, but I do the plumbing business from home (and via my cell phone).

Something that this has led me to do, though, is to investigate other possible work from home businesses. I am currently looking into doing some contract work answering phone calls for customer service and billing. In addition, I found a great way to take my love for photography and make a buck or two (seriously..no more than that but pay for fun lol) by freelancing for insurance companies and realtors to provide them with photos of certain properties.

That sounds great. Just curious, did you every study plumbing or any courses related to it? I ask because I always wonder if one can just up and start a company in a field that one has absolutely no knowledge of. I get that it's vital to know the game before you start playing, but I was just curious if some people have managed to get by on business acumen alone.

Sally108
02-24-2014, 09:33 AM
I am busy with several different home business/projects. I have a handful of web sites. A couple are blogs, there others are membership sites. I also sell on Ebay. I had a store for a while. It was not profitable so I took it down. I am planning on opening another one soon, though. I am a consultant for one of the big name cosmetics companies. I have a few affiliate programs I promote. I have an ebook for sale. I use a few rewards or survey sites for extra cash. And I am always looking for other possibilities!

tspires2
02-25-2014, 12:04 PM
I love Ebay, Amazon and Craigslist and normally use Paypal for both. There are very few times any other payment method is used! I do use square from time to time if the transaction is in person or maybe a trade show or something like that!

Love to sell but unfortunately for me I need other things such as content writing and such to keep things moving! Just can't seem to make the sales needed to ensure the profit needed!

cpefley
02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm just a blogger, so I don't have products or sells or anything like that, but it is a business, and I do report to the IRS. It isn't as difficult tax wise to deal with. I don't have to deal with inventory or depreciation, but I do have a home office and pay self-employment tax.

Mojibobo
02-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Some interesting replies here, I've read through some.

I've always wanted to make money online from home, just never got around to looking into it. Thanks for the shares guys!

sscchoeman
02-28-2014, 11:12 AM
I run a few Blogs which you welcome to look at. It is mainly around MLM/Affiliate business. I am always on the look out on new and exciting ways to increase traffic. I prefer my payments via paypal or direct to my account. I do use places like Fiverr.com great place to get things done for cheap. I love banner advertising and list swaps. Even though my list would love to grow. For more info regarding MLM please reply to this message.

cpefley
02-28-2014, 09:46 PM
That is a great idea. I think Fiverr is a great place to find cheap labor. The creativity on that site is amazing as well. Good luck with your business.

coffee
03-02-2014, 12:58 AM
I sell handmade jewelry and accessories through Etsy. I refuse to give them my social security number so I am not able to accept credit cards directly through them. I do take PayPal, and if a customer specifically requests a check or money order. I prefer using an eCommerce site like Etsy because all of the hard work is done for me so I don't have to take the time to build my own store, pay for payment processors, etc. I work a full time job so I prefer to spend my "off time" making products, responding to customers, and packaging/shipping.

tspires2
03-04-2014, 01:20 PM
My sales side of the business is just about to get going good, right now it is slow going and not a full time opportunity! The only way I accept payment is through cash or PayPal. I have used Square as well in person but online PayPal is the only option for me!

cpefley
03-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Mine is boring, and I don't process payments. I'm a blogger, so I just receive payments, and I use PayPal. I don't have stock or inventory, so my taxes are very easy to prepare too.

Taru
03-07-2014, 08:15 AM
I love reading everyone's experiences with home businesses because everyone seems so different!

Agreed! I find it very interesting as well.

I sell imported goods on Ebay as my main source of income and I have considered putting up my own site but ultimately felt it to be unnecessary. I use are Paypal and bank transfer and both are fairly easy to manage as all my transactions are only done locally anyway. I've been wanting to do more on the side recently, though, as I'd prefer to make use of my free time more productively.

wander_n_wonder
03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I do online retail of ladies' apparel. I have done it on Facebook (among my friends only) and also on some sites like Storenvy and Tictail. I actually like Storenvy because they have an existing market already and you just have to post quality photos to attract the customer's attention. It works so much like social media where they can like your items but they have an option to directly buy from there.

I think online retail has a good potential for a profitable business. At first, you need to spend a lot of time in promoting your site and products but after a few months, you would notice that customers just come. Customer service is also very important. There's a lot of competition out there so what you can do is improve the way you handle every transaction.

StompnNubs
03-11-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm currently working as a freelance software developer. I have two startups I'm developing android apps for and one is covering the cost of an online class for me to learn more advanced android development. I also have 4 different blogs I post to weekly. 2 use Amazon Associates for monetization and the other two are just simple google adsense. I've also gotten into flipping things on the side and hope to grow that out over the next year. I like buying stuff! :)

FancyFree
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
I run an essential products and services business. I offer discounts on products and services for home, business, personal use, entertainment, health and wellness. The concept is to generate residual income from bills we pay residually.

Eagles910
03-19-2014, 01:07 PM
I sell handmade jewelry and accessories through Etsy. I refuse to give them my social security number so I am not able to accept credit cards directly through them. I do take PayPal, and if a customer specifically requests a check or money order. I prefer using an eCommerce site like Etsy because all of the hard work is done for me so I don't have to take the time to build my own store, pay for payment processors, etc. I work a full time job so I prefer to spend my "off time" making products, responding to customers, and packaging/shipping.

How do you not give the your social security number? I thought you had to provide that information in order to get verified status.

lizzief79
03-23-2014, 12:51 PM
I am a freelance writer now and work from home writing for private clients and for websites. I used to have a small business designing and creating fascinators, tiaras and jewelry. I sold my goods on eBay and at craft fairs.

Lithium
03-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Lately, I've been tutoring online and made over 300 dollars this week. It's a great business!

nwitt
03-24-2014, 06:51 PM
I currently operate my home business on a part-time basis. I have a full-time job and work on my business in the evenings and on the weekends. I write content for the web - online articles, blog posts, website content. I use Paypal to accept payment from my clients. I like being able to work form home because I can make extra money in my pajamas :)

tinyfang
03-24-2014, 06:55 PM
I run various blogs, do a few odd data posting jobs and such. However, my main business is in software development and helping businesses build themselves up. I do this mainly from home, but from time to time, I have to meet with clients at their office or at a cafe somewhere. Along with the Project Manager, we usually meet up initially to get the plan in motion, then I go home to make the concepts. Things are communicated through Skype, phone calls, emails and text messages.

GottBiz
03-29-2014, 08:35 AM
I do some online writing and I also invest in the stock market. At any given point one of these things might be doing better than the others, and sometimes all of them are sort of there just petering :-) ... When I say writing, I should state that I do both writing that I am directly paid for in addition to doing writing on a site that I setup with advertisers. I'm focussed on doing what I enjoy. I find that as long as I do that, I usually have enough to meet my basic needs and help a few others as well.

Athenagdlyt
03-29-2014, 09:26 PM
My partner and I both have offline businesses: I run a private tutorial studio and he runs his own hobby workshop. When not teaching, we write articles for different websites and do freelance work involving SEO and social media management for various clients. These keep us busy and creative. Since most of what we do for a living is home-based, I would consider these home businesses. I have a few blogs which I update when not busy with the teaching job and when good-paying clients are hard to find.

mikelouis
03-30-2014, 12:35 AM
I do some selling on eBay and also other affiliate companies. It is promising as I make enough money to pay my bills and even have surplus for investment. I think it is all about how you carry out the business and find if it is profitable.

Lithium
03-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Freelancing has become a pretty popular ocupation nowadays.

Craigslist Goldmine
04-01-2014, 01:38 PM
I flip items on Craigslist and have developed an advanced system of doing so in order to consistently make profits month after month. I've been doing this for over ten years now. Just published an eBook about it entitled CRAIGSLIST GOLDMINE, which can be found on Amazon. I am happy to answer questions any of you might have about buying and selling on Craigslist. It's a fun part-time gig for me.

pdavis89
06-11-2014, 06:27 AM
I own and operate an internet franchise. I educate people on how to pay themselves for doing what they were already doing anyways, shopping. I also educate people on how to own one like me. Thanks for listening!

Patrick

pdavis89
06-11-2014, 06:32 AM
Mojibobo, so many ways. To make supplemental income online...even full time, professional income. You should look into something! Take care an best of luck.

victorwilson
06-11-2014, 09:45 PM
I build private label rights products for small businesses owners link eBooks, videos, eCommerce websites and software.

ecohomes
09-09-2014, 04:41 AM
We run a local business about green houses. Our idea was based 3 years ago and since we develop. Our principle and target is simple. We want to achieve a big data base of clients on local and national area happy and content about our work. Lower bills a myth?! Well, just try our green house!

DailyFitness4u
09-19-2014, 03:53 PM
We have just started a Personal Fitness Training business. Although we will have local clients we plan for most of our income to come through our website as it will be able to reach people worldwide. It is a membership website which provides videos and information on fitness subjects and includes tools and apps to get people into a fitness program. There are so many unfit people in the world and the market continues to grow so we hope to capture a small part of it. We run the business from home which is a new experience for me. I've always been use to going out to work 8am to 5pm, but now I can work whenever I want, which is great.

Manotech Solutions
09-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Hi,
I have a home based business with a jewellery manufacturer that provides an online store, supplies the products and ships the products for us. Its a good way to start a retail business as there is not a huge financial commitment required to buy all the stock required to do it all on your own.

If you are interested visit www.manotechsolutions.com and I can help you get set up.

Cheers,
Mark