PDA

View Full Version : how to do you deal with a bully but efficient worker in your team?

owesem75
02-16-2014, 12:01 PM
It is not about job politics nor a contest who is best in the group, but if you are managing a team, how do you deal with a bully but super efficient worker in a team? I have to mention that although the general and over all motivation of the team is low, it is still able to effectively deliver the output.

CSomm
02-17-2014, 01:33 PM
You need to address the issue with this person. "Delivering the output" is not all there is to business; I bet the team would be more productive in a better work environment, and the ability to do the job is not enough to justify allowing any bullying or harassment. You need to have the faith in your ability to train new people to the same level as the "super effective bully" that you have right now.

Millermarketingroup
02-17-2014, 05:02 PM
over time this employee will poison the group and keep morale low, his or her unique or singular benefit to your company is no match for the lack of productivity being created by the other members.

Bullies need to be dealt with, straight up, like adults. Communicate clearly that there is no room for negativity, and it doesn't matter how good the apples taste at the moment if the tree isn't getting watered.

mikelouis
02-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Everyone can be replaced no matter how good they are, there is always someone better than them outside there. Seriously when you are an adult bullying should not be your thing leave it to the kids. Personally I would fire the bully dude if after numerous attempts of trying to reason out with the employee.

Taru
02-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Everyone can be replaced no matter how good they are, there is always someone better than them outside there. Seriously when you are an adult bullying should not be your thing leave it to the kids. Personally I would fire the bully dude if after numerous attempts of trying to reason out with the employee.

I agree with this comment. No one should be immune from tormenting their co-workers no matter how good they are. I'd let some light jabs go, but to me, the duty of a boss is to keep the workers happy, and the moment the light jabs cross the line into bullying, I'd start to doubt the stability of the comfort level of the other employees. I would also take into consideration that the team might even perform a lot better without the dominant one causing stress, and even though it might be risky to find out, I'd say it would still be worth it just knowing I could sleep a lot better at night because my employees aren't dreading to go to work under my watch.

justSaying
02-18-2014, 02:52 AM
What you should ask yourself is how much more the team would perform with high morale. Secondly, is it possible that the bully only appears to be efficient out of causing the others to under-perform? You may be surprised that without the bully, others will rise up to fill their spot and no negative effect will be felt in your organization.

MLeoCasas
02-18-2014, 03:58 AM
Though output might seem to be stable for now the effects of low morale on long term efficacy of a team can be very serious. I have to agree 100% with the other replies as far as that's concerned. I'd add though, that when you are in a management position it is very important to establish yourself as a leader. Allowing your team members to do as they see fit and undermine you so long as they get things done would be a serious blow to your integrity as a team manager.

Hope everything works out!!

CeliVega
02-18-2014, 05:56 AM
I heard in some company they transfer their employees to another position from time to time to prevent something like this from happening. When you have only one guy who is responsible for something essential in business and he knows about it, he will get arrogant and think he has more authority over others because he knows very well that the company can't function without him. By transferring him into another department, it can somehow remind him that the company can still go on without him and he is not the only one who can perform a certain task. That way he will think twice before being rude to the others.

autograph
02-18-2014, 09:28 AM
I will definitely have a talk with this 'bully' in the team. It does not matter how efficient this worker is if he creates animosity in my team's dynamic. In the long run, I might lose more because I avoided this issue. If this worker still cannot behave after the talk, I will formally issue the person a warning letter and bring it up to HR the next time he behave unprofessionally.

fredkawig
02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
I have to please or appear to be a friend to such kind of person and usually these people need attention as they are seeking for it. Don't let talents like these get wasted just because of a conflict with each one's pride. Try to lure him and smooth talk him into contributing more for the team and give praise to what is due. I don't believe there are bullies which can't be tamed by a little attention.

sdsnook
02-18-2014, 10:23 AM
It is unfortunate when a person of undesirable personality issues is in a team atmosphere. I would definitely confront the issue with the person in a way as to come up with a middle ground. Sometimes, pushy people are needed and just need a little guidance as to how to talk, act or give direction in a more positive way. Good luck!!!

arupmi
02-18-2014, 11:49 AM
I really do not think that a bully has any place in a successful team. Even if he is a splendid worker, by bullying others, he is just poisoning the environment. In the long run, no matter how much he may contribute on his own, it is detrimental to the overall team spirit. So I feel that one should reduce dependency on such a worker and gradually release him from his duties.

delusional
02-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I also don't think someone who bullies other employees should be part of a team. Whenever this happens, the best way to deal with it is to just fire the employee. Whenever the victim quits his/her job, the bully will just find another victim.

SmartPea85
02-18-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm curious what you mean by the statement that they are a bully but they are a "super efficient either in a team." If a person is mean, bossy, dominating, and generally a "bully", they can't be a very good team player. Perhaps they put up good numbers and sales that make you proud, but as the boss if you are really concerned about teamwork and the other employees on the team (as you should), you need to address this issue either to the large group or privately to that one person in question. You need to convey that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated and there will be consequences. Give specific examples if needed. Perhaps this person doesn't realize their actions are inappropriate since their productivity is impressive. You don't want to gang up on one person but stress what you mean when you say "teamwork" and your expectations for EVERYONE when they are on the clock.

mameeker@cuse
02-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Sit them down and talk to them. Let them know that even though they are a good employee when it comes to quality of work, their attitude hurts the team as a whole. From there suggest ways that they can turn what they are saying and doing now into work appropriate language and behavior.

Radium
02-20-2014, 11:57 AM
The best way to deal with people is to be direct and upfront about any problems immediately. Once you let people know what they are doing is wrong as quickly as possible, you don't let them get used to the situation and reduces the chance of problems compared to letting the situation become normal. The worker may be efficient but what their doing is probably having an effect on the rest of the team. The productivity of the entire team could go up considerably if you let the worker know that what their doing is unacceptable.

jptrey06
02-20-2014, 12:35 PM
A bully will always create an uncomfortable working environment. Their boss needs to show that he doesnt tolerate those kind of behavior, so either fire the bully or ask him to apologize to his victims. Then if he stayed like that, that is when you have to say that's enough, and fire him. A bully can cause other efficient employees to quit so that is even worst than losing one.

MrLuke
02-21-2014, 12:21 PM
I worked as a shelf stacker a few years ago in a newsagents, and there was another lad, a few years older, who worked on the till. He was an absolute idiot, and wound me up beyond belief. However, when he got to work, he could get through a row of customers in a matter of minutes. I think what really made him determined was setting him deadlines and goals to achieve, and made him really focus on the time and not have any spare to irritate me.

stacyje
02-21-2014, 12:47 PM
I would have to say from experience talk to that person because I'm sure someone else on the team feels the same way and just doesn't want to say anything about it. I would call this person and do a one on one talk with them while being professional and let them know what they are doing and what not to be tolerated. Because as mention above one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch

Ryand88
02-21-2014, 12:54 PM
I certainly think the most efficient way to deal with this is to simply talk to them and explain what's going on ; this is a workplace, not school and you need to make sure that everyone is working efficiently and talking to the bully and letting them know what's going on and that a few complaints have been made could easily set them straight, of course failing this you would have to come up with some more creative method incorporating punishments such as paydocks or worse hours otherwise you will end up with one good staff member and the rest worse than usual because of the bully.

donnawhite
07-31-2014, 06:15 AM
For workplace Conflict Resolution or Workplace bullying, should concern with the mediation experts. No need to visit court even you know you will get only the next date and no need to waste your time and money there. Simply ask to the mediators that what to do? How to resolve out the issues and get satisfied solutions.

hectorconey12
08-04-2014, 02:23 AM
I am in this situation at the moment. I appreciate the input of everyone here. I hired someone who was at first showing great attitude but later revealed to be a bully. Others have been complaining about him but it's hard to let him go because of his excellent work performance.

Resource9
08-19-2014, 04:24 AM
I think if you have any employee with a bad attitude but is a good performer, you have to talk to him. Let him know that even if he gives the best performance, he is being observed and any kind of bad behavior might get him in trouble. It is important to do this because it is about the whole organization culture.