PDA

View Full Version : How to Handle Employees Who Steal?

spc97t
02-19-2014, 03:16 PM
I have found myself, more than once, in shock at business owners who hold clear evidence of employee theft, but the business owner continues to keep the thieving employees. I worked for one particular company who told me to watch certain employees because they steal. The owner went as far as saying that he talked to those employees about stealing, but they continue to steal. Why would any business owner keep an employee who, in fact, steals?

mameeker@cuse
02-19-2014, 03:56 PM
In my previous job I encountered employee thefts just as you have mentioned. The reason why these employees were not fired was because it was a small family owned business, where the employees in question where essential to the day to day operations of the business. The way the employer solved this issue was to install security cameras everywhere and have the employees sign a paper that said any theft will result in the amount of the theft being taken out of that employees check.

crucider
02-19-2014, 07:50 PM
In my opinion, it would definitely be a fire and it would be taken of their check for sure.

JamesV
02-19-2014, 07:58 PM
It's definitely a fire if you have employees that are stealing. The business owner must be out of his mind or its some sort of stipulation that they keep the certain people employed.

Taru
02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
I never thought that there would be bosses or companies like this, and hearing this makes me think that they must be terribly understanding and it must be great to work for them, but honestly I agree with you that it would only be good for the employees but terrible for the owner and the business itself. I have faced the same situation myself in the short time I've been operating a retail business from home, and let go of the employees immediately as I find it hard to trust them after an incident like this and I really don't know how to carry on a business relationship without trust.

CeliVega
02-20-2014, 05:22 AM
That's a nice boss to have, and what if the employees actually steal something that is confidential or important to the company? I think it would be better if the boss can warn the related employees about their wrongdoings and get the local authorities involved when it happen again. Or keep track of how much they are stealing, and cut off exactly that amount from their monthly salaries. This should get the message across.

Ryand88
02-20-2014, 05:41 AM
A lot of times when employees steal and bosses do nothing about it, it's because that employee and the boss have a special relationship for example an affair could be occurring between said employee and employer and you are hardly going to fire that person are you! It's when personal relationships get in the way of work that these things thrive. At the end of the day theft is a crime and why would keep a criminal hired? Sadly things like this can lead to the shutdown of businesses as they lose too many assets or lose customer trust and this hurts everyone because one employee couldn't just be happy with what they had or the employer couldn't separate home life and work.

jptrey06
02-20-2014, 06:19 AM
What's the point of keeping them? They already showed who they really are, and that's me in the boss' position I would fire that employee right away. Those kind of employees are bad for business and earning your boss' trust can be really hard. Once the trust is broken, it'll be hard for the boss' to trust that particular employee or other innocent employees will also look bad to his eyes.
That's not a very good judgement in the boss' side for keeping those guys.

WeDontSleep
02-20-2014, 08:21 AM
I would never keep an employee that steals company property. I mean a person who can easily take something that doesn't belong to him/her without being ashamed of it probably has some serious mental issues or absolutely no morals. Those people are simply too unreliable to let them work in your business.

Radium
02-20-2014, 10:22 AM
In my opinion if there's clear evidence of an employee stealing there should be only one option, fire them. Considering the employment market today it wouldn't take long to find another employee who would be grateful for the opportunity. It is a clear breach of trust and frankly keeping an employee like that is incredibly strange to me, how could you ever trust that person to represent you and your business let alone the financial loss.

delusional
02-20-2014, 11:38 AM
I would fire them on the second occurrence. If they need something from the company, they can borrow it. If they need a product, they have an employee discount.

mikelouis
02-20-2014, 12:16 PM
I would not keep such a employee in my business. I guess they are stealing from the company which means a loss for the business. Simply fire them and find better employees who have morals.

alec
02-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Such an employee should be fired on the spot or as soon as possible. Besides harming the business by stealing he's also putting the other employees through hard times, further harming it. If it's a family business and that employee is essential find a replacement fast, or if that's not an option, like others here suggested, install some sort of surveillance system. In fact, while somewhat expensive, a surveillance system can help in the long run by deterring would be thieves from even trying.

This is not a matter that should be treated lightly and measures must be put in place to protect both the business and the other employees.

owesem75
02-20-2014, 03:28 PM
cut their fingers one after another for every incident of stealing caught-in-the-act!!! no, I am just kidding. If you are a manager and you can bear with him to go through the 3-strike process, then just create a policy that would define the degree of offence and the corresponding consequences. Otherwise, just fire him.

autograph
02-21-2014, 06:55 AM
The reason the business owners keep their employees might be because it is too much of a hassle to find a replacement. Typically, it's a smaller business owners that do this. They will just pay more attention to that particular employee to make sure it never happens again. As for me, theft is definitely out of the question; the employee shall be fired on the spot. This is done to show that I do take rules seriously and I will not tolerate any criminal acts.

MrLuke
02-21-2014, 11:16 AM
I worked a little time at a newsagents, and I would never even think of stealing from there. I was getting paid a good amount of money for my age and how many hours I was working, therefore stealing was the last thing on my agenda. If I was an employer, I would sack the person right away, as it is disrespectful and stupid to do such a thing, especially the way jobs are going at the moment.

chelleeann
02-21-2014, 02:33 PM
I would fire them on the second occurrence. If they need something from the company, they can borrow it. If they need a product, they have an employee discount.

I agree, but I think that if an employee is already stealing, giving them another chance would just cost the company more money. Usually a thief is a thief and they are not going to stop just because you give them a second chance. My opinion is that theft should be an immediate fire offense...unless its like in a case where they accidentally stuck a pen or a notepad in their pocket..then I would do nothing. Office supplies like that are easily replaceable. I'm talking about stealing expensive things or large quantities.

samm1973
02-21-2014, 07:46 PM
I can't imagine being in a position where I'd keep that employee. Most companies will not only terminate the individuals employment, but threaten legal action depending on the value of what was stolen. I wouldn't even keep the employee if it the employee was stealing from another employee. There's just no defending it. Even break room "oops I grabbed your lunch" stories upset me.

Jane Hastings
03-26-2014, 12:40 AM
Why? What's the point of keeping them? If they are really good and hard to find replacements then maybe I will give them a second chance but I will also make sure they know the consequences if they keep stealing. But if they are not that valuable then I would fire them right away. But of course, it's also best to talk to them and find out why they are stealing.

Elina Ding
03-26-2014, 01:55 AM
fire that dishonesty person.

wandering wildman
03-26-2014, 02:24 AM
Hello! I understand everyone's position to fire the person immediately. However, I think it is still worth to at least confront the person about the situation. Even the best of employees can make mistakes. What would you say if a loved one was in the same predicament? Would you want them to be immediately fired, or to get a second chance?

wandering wildman
03-26-2014, 02:42 AM
Jptrey06, I definitely agree with you. It could also be because I am a die-hard Redskins fan as well:) I have no idea why the boss would still keep them. A question worth consider is "do you think the boss is telling you the truth?" Does he know for a fact that they steal? Maybe, he has never caught them but needs somebody to tell on them. It is hard to tell.

george.shepard
03-26-2014, 03:22 AM
Employee theft will be a serious problem if not handled properly. It is vital that management stays calm when handling this type of condition and make sure that they take the correct steps. The business should be absolutely sure the employee has stolen before taking severe action. Taking the time to completely investigate may save a business money in the long run.

GottBiz
03-27-2014, 05:27 AM
I suppose it is a weighing of the profit versus the loss vs the available of quality replacements. But as I am writing this I am raising my eyebrows high with the difficulty I'm having in accepting this.

I personally would be a "firing" boss because the chances are very slim that you could correct that sort of behavior and a high likelihood that the behavior would get worse. Not to say thieves can change their ways, but I'll let that thief change his ways with another employer, or the employer after the next one :-)

Malik Suleman
12-28-2015, 02:23 PM
use camera on them