PDA

View Full Version : Adding console in a gaming center. Is it worth it?

jptrey06
02-20-2014, 06:11 AM
My family just opened a small gaming centre in our city. We currently have 30 gaming PCs and charging $4/hour. Its doing okay so far and we're currently debating if we should add consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360. Its my dad's idea, but Im not sure if we should do it or not.
I have two concerns:
1. PS4 and XBOX ONE. PS3 and 360 are now considered as the "Last generation" but both of the new consoles are still too hard to find.
2. Most people have them in their house anyways.

I dont want to waste our money for buying stuff that we might not need the following year.

My dad's point is this: The competition have a lot of them, we need to match that in order to compete with them.

Who's side are you on?

UPDATE: Im changing my mind a little bit here. Im thinking of suggesting to my dad that buying some PS4 and XBOX ONE is way better than buying the old ones.
I do have some concerns with these ideas so I hope to hear your opinions.
1. Prices. - PS4 is still $400 and XBOX one is still $500.
2. They are still the early versions of both consoles so they are both still encountering some problems.

Hope to hear your opinions guys.
Thanks

delusional
02-20-2014, 11:43 AM
The consoles being hard to find isn't true. You can pick one up in every electronics store you go to.
Keep in mind this would also mean you have to get a TV screen, get at least a second controller, have a way to secure the controllers so they don't get stolen, have some kind of seating area around the tv.

apexa1
02-21-2014, 03:24 AM
I think there are stations you can probably rent. They're like a booth sort of thing where the controller is attacked and the TV screen is behind a sheet of glass, and so is the console. Theres no way to get inside it unless you have the keys.
obviously the owner has to swap out games. Anyway that could be what you're looking for. I remember seeing them in large stores as a kid, and lately in electronic stores

jptrey06
02-21-2014, 09:15 AM
The consoles being hard to find isn't true. You can pick one up in every electronics store you go to.
Keep in mind this would also mean you have to get a TV screen, get at least a second controller, have a way to secure the controllers so they don't get stolen, have some kind of seating area around the tv.

Nope thats not true. PS4 and XBOX ONE are always sold out in any electronics store because the supply hasnt caught up to its demand yet. Im keeping my eyes on them though because our competition doesnt have them yet. For Ps3 and Xbox 360, my thoughts are theyre not worth it, because there's a big possibility that they will be obsolete next year or at the end of this year.

jptrey06
02-21-2014, 09:39 AM
I think there are stations you can probably rent. They're like a booth sort of thing where the controller is attacked and the TV screen is behind a sheet of glass, and so is the console. Theres no way to get inside it unless you have the keys.
obviously the owner has to swap out games. Anyway that could be what you're looking for. I remember seeing them in large stores as a kid, and lately in electronic stores

I went in one of the gaming centers here in our city and it was just open for everybody as long as theyre paying their per hour rates. They can pick the games and change it whenever they want but they have to show it to the owner to check the disc's condition. That's what were planning to do. I might go for PS4 and XBOX ONE because they are hot right now but the problem is their prices and the supply in the electronics stores. Right now Ps4 is at $400 and XBOX One is $500. Maybe wait for a price drop but that will take like a year.
I know, im being really indecisive right now.

alec
02-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Adding some PS3 and XBOX 360 consoles seems like a good idea to me. Why? Like you already mentioned these consoles are last generation so the prices to buy them new are low or if you're into second hand / refurbished the supply is high right now and the price is even better.

And let's face it, those that come in a gaming center and pay to play probably don't own said consoles either. Grab a good selection of games, make sure to have competitive ones too, like FIFA, shooters etc and business will be golden. Even if they come for PC's, having some consoles around can prove a good diversion and I'm sure you'll find that even some of the regulars will make the change and play the consoles. Surely diversifying your offerings will attract more clients.

samm1973
02-21-2014, 07:02 PM
I'd probably start with a PS3 and a Xbox360 for now. They are cost effective, and you can stilll get many relatively new titles for them. If you see them in high demand, you can then start with a new generation console. Work your way up and eventually you'll be rotating them in and out every few years once they've paid for themselves.

Also, the idea behind the display cabinet is a good one. I know every video game store I've ever been in has them, and they are stand up models to discourage too much loitering, but a couple of bar stools would do the trick there. Good Luck!

jptrey06
02-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Adding some PS3 and XBOX 360 consoles seems like a good idea to me. Why? Like you already mentioned these consoles are last generation so the prices to buy them new are low or if you're into second hand / refurbished the supply is high right now and the price is even better.

And let's face it, those that come in a gaming center and pay to play probably don't own said consoles either. Grab a good selection of games, make sure to have competitive ones too, like FIFA, shooters etc and business will be golden. Even if they come for PC's, having some consoles around can prove a good diversion and I'm sure you'll find that even some of the regulars will make the change and play the consoles. Surely diversifying your offerings will attract more clients.

Hi thanks for the reply
That's exactly what my dad is saying. But what im thinking is the consoles will probably last for only a year because PS4 and XBOX One will take over probably before the end of this year or next year. Most people are probably selling their own last gen consoles to try to buy the new consoles.

I will also add that my dad dont really understand console lifespans, he saying stuff like, "consoles are consoles, you play games on them. Kids will play them because that's what they all want to do" :lol:

Taru
02-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Honestly, it's hard to tell without the complete details including demographics and behavioral patterns of your local customers, but in general, I think it could prove to be a good idea at least worthy of experimentation. If it were me, I'd take a shot at it seeing as they aren't too expensive anymore now that the new generation of consoles have already been released, but I would only do it with probably one or two at first and seeing how it works out. I also agree with alec that second hand or refurbished units would be a good place to start with since you won't be too bothered if those get too used up, which they will be after a few customers get their hands on it. If the numbers work out, I say go for it, but again, just look at how long you are willing to wait for the investment to come back and see if the profit would be worth the wait.

jubvman
02-21-2014, 10:04 PM
I think the two points you listed are the only reasons you need to not get the consoles. As you said, they are the last generation with the new consoles here and most people have them in their house, so there is no reason they would pay $4 per hour. Also depending on how many you buy, this could be costly and it might be hard to get a good ROI.

If going ahead with it, I would buy pre-owned consoles. Slightly diminishes the initial investment.

Mojibobo
02-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Not sure if it's a good idea, just for the simple fact that basically everyone that goes into one of these stores will already have a console at home and probably wont buy/use the one in the gaming centre.

CG7262
02-22-2014, 12:13 AM
If you decide to put up consoles just make sure your maintenance is top notch and you clean it regularly, especially the controllers. Things can get messy quick with a lot of people handling your gear. You might also want to consider selling games. People might like what they play enough to take it home.

apexa1
02-22-2014, 12:42 AM
I went in one of the gaming centers here in our city and it was just open for everybody as long as theyre paying their per hour rates. They can pick the games and change it whenever they want but they have to show it to the owner to check the disc's condition. That's what were planning to do. I might go for PS4 and XBOX ONE because they are hot right now but the problem is their prices and the supply in the electronics stores. Right now Ps4 is at $400 and XBOX One is $500. Maybe wait for a price drop but that will take like a year.
I know, im being really indecisive right now.

nah it does sound like a good idea though. prices wont drop for a long time, depending on how much you charge it could pay itself off within a month or so. another thing to factor in though is the price of games

jptrey06
02-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Not sure if it's a good idea, just for the simple fact that basically everyone that goes into one of these stores will already have a console at home and probably wont buy/use the one in the gaming centre.

I think the two points you listed are the only reasons you need to not get the consoles. As you said, they are the last generation with the new consoles here and most people have them in their house, so there is no reason they would pay $4 per hour. Also depending on how many you buy, this could be costly and it might be hard to get a good ROI.

If going ahead with it, I would buy pre-owned consoles. Slightly diminishes the initial investment.

Thanks for the replies!
That's exactly what I'm saying to my dad. He keeps on saying that "we need to have what they have because people will think they are way better than us because they have that and we dont." Used PS3s are still over $100. If we can only use them for a year then like what you said it'll be hard to get a good ROI. It will be waste of space, energy, and money.

I will show your reply to my dad, maybe this will change his mind!

jptrey06
02-22-2014, 09:11 PM
nah it does sound like a good idea though. prices wont drop for a long time, depending on how much you charge it could pay itself off within a month or so. another thing to factor in though is the price of games

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
We might end up to that route. People will definitely pay money to play these new consoles. We can probably charge a little bit higher than our usual rate because most people doesnt have them yet and trying them while deciding which one to buy makes a lot of sense.

TomCWren
05-22-2014, 01:53 AM
A suggestion as to your current client base rather than to answer your question, but do you know if your customers already own these or indeed any consoles back home? Have you asked them if they would like access to a ps4 and Xbox one or would the older generation of consoles be good? You're in a good position as you already have a client base, so ask them what they think? There's the experts in this field and they're the guys who pay your bills

neldl1k
07-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Hello everyone! I work as partner with Dean Brooks. A Private Money Lenders He gives out loans to the public/individuals and companies worldwide with a very low rate of 0.8%. He offer out personal and business loans. Are you in debt and you need an urgent loan? Do you need a real estate loan? Do you need secured or unsecured loan? You need financing a project but do not know how to secure a loan? I think you guys should contact Dean Brooks He would fund any project that you want to embark on and offer personal loans as well to you, your firm/partners and clients. A loan process can be completed within a space of one week provided terms of loan contract is agreed upon. Contact Dean dbrooks1k@gmail.com. Good Luck.

mary.fstaples
10-31-2016, 02:23 PM
growing business is never easy and there is always risk of failure or success, however bringing asset to the business is much more beneficial and less risky than spending on the marketing. i am on your dad side :)

jellyteww
04-18-2019, 05:59 AM
HI i read your question , i have no knowledge about your question sorry for that
but please for JAVA TUTORIAL GOTO THIS LINK

JAVA TUTORIAL (http://www.ezdia.com/java.html)

Brownii
01-24-2020, 02:54 PM
Better gaming gear always improves the whole gaming experience significantly. Even when I upgraded to a better mic I felt the difference, online communication became much better. And by the way, if you are a gamer I really advise you to get a good mic. You can click here (https://has-sound.com/microphones/best-microphone-for-gaming/) to find the best gaming microphone, all the needed info is by the link.

HappyStop8
05-15-2020, 06:46 AM
Today, electronics plays an important role in our daily lives. Electronics is a good source of information, and we use electronics to get closer to people around the world. Electronics are used in all areas because now it is the basis of everyday life. Also, on the Internet, you can find many sites that offer a wide range of electronics at a good price and quality. If you are looking for modern and high-quality electronics, then you can try rde.lt (https://www.rde.lt/) here now big discounts, such as the Snaige RF35SM-refrigerator P1CB223 for only 335.28 , see for yourself!

Cloves
02-17-2021, 02:47 PM
Personally, I give my preference to video games because it gives me a lot of positive emotions, it also helps me to relax after a hard day at work. Sometimes I use the services of the site https://askboosters.com/wow-raids/ because I want to play at a high professional level and they help me to achieve my goal. It seems to me that this information is useful and useful to you.