PDA

View Full Version : Launch a website and register it some other time.

owesem75
02-20-2014, 03:41 PM
It is now so easy to launch a website with all transactions can be done online, i.e. buying domain name, web hosting, etc. Creating an online business has now become as instant as the moment you thought of the idea. Do you think it is ok run a website without actually registering the business?

I mean, if the online business is a failure, you can easily shut it down and try to open another one (like a trial and error), and when you finally succeeded to have an active online business and it started to bring you income, then you register it.. do you think this is a good practice? Anyone of you doing this kind of scheme? or do you prefer to register a business first before launching any website associated to it?

Rainman
02-21-2014, 02:48 AM
Do you think it is ok run a website without actually registering the business?
I wouldn't spend money registering a business before I confirm, practically, that I'm making an income from it. As you say, you could get the web-site going but won't make any money from it because unlike an offline business, there's no guarantee you're going to get any traffic to a new web-site unless you're willing to spend a lot of money advertising. So. . .whilst working on getting your business/website visible to search engines I don't think it would be wise to get it registered because then you'll be spending money for nothing.

Vinic
02-21-2014, 07:50 AM
The laws regulating business are highly location dependent. But for the most part, you don't really need to do anything to run a sole proprietor business, per say, as far as the US Feds go. If you start making money and report it on your taxes, that's the main requirement. It's all about the money, right? The legal structures are there mainly to protect you from liabilities. Of course there are some other tax issues too, but most of the simpler structures (LLC or S Corp) simply pass any tax issues on to the owner(s).

Of course there are local regulations to deal with too, but most likely they would not come into play unless you created a lot of physical traffic with your business.

Taru
02-22-2014, 01:07 AM
I don't think it's entirely necessary to register your site as a business when it isn't even turning a profit yet. I'd guess that there is a grace period offered to any start-up and you probably aren't required to report profits you haven't even made yet. Of course, I could be wrong, but this is just the idea from what I've been told. A relative of mine is selling things on Ebay in the U.S. and she just started out selling pretty much on just a personal level and only filed papers once the sales got to be on the level of what might constitute as a business.

cpefley
02-22-2014, 01:39 AM
I agree, that seems like a reasonable option. Registering after you start to make money and have a business model that you are happy with seems like a good idea, not a scheme.

gadgetised
02-22-2014, 02:32 AM
I would wait to register. What is the point if things don't take off or things go in a totally new direction.

alec
02-22-2014, 05:08 AM
Depends on the business really. If say, I'm importing goods and selling them online, then yes, I should register. But for startup things like selling on ebay or promoting digital products (for example) I'd wait until the money I make is substantial and then I'd register. Usually the tax authority has no issues with what you do until your income is big enough. I guess it's also the reason why on some sites you're required to fill for taxes once you hit 600$ or so.

Anyway, just to be safe, check with your authorities or people from a similar business.

fredkawig
02-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Are you talking about registering your website for taxes? You only register it when it is making income otherwise you'll just be wasting money, and it also depend on the laws governing your state or country. For example, if your country does not require people to register websites as those who are running domains are the ones to pay the taxes then you would be good. Another if the country you are in does not specify websites to be registered or there is no law regarding it then you are good to go and do not have to register it or pay taxes.

touqeer
02-28-2014, 03:02 AM
This is little bit confusing that first register the company and then launch a business. If you start a online shopping website this is good for you have register your firm and then start website. But most of people is not register the company after the website running on server.
In my opinion If I have start new business I do register the company and launch a website simultaneously.

mameeker@cuse
03-01-2014, 05:34 PM
I would first consult local laws to make sure you are not doing something illegal. If you aren't doing something illegal this sounds like a good plan.

SeanCole
11-21-2014, 04:08 AM
I don't think it a good decision, it is illegal without registering you can't own or start a company. First get the concept and knowledge of all laws and protocols of starting a company.