PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my menu

CG7262
02-21-2014, 02:38 AM
Owner of a small cafe here. In the state its in, its basically a mini restaurant that serves mostly breakfast. On the menu right now are sandwiches, burgers, rice/egg meals, pasta and of course coffee. I was wondering what other good eats i can add. I was looking for something unique that would be the sort of flagship meal of our place. I was thinking along the lines of the ramen burger(few months too late, i know but its just catching its stride where im from) but i kinda want to be ahead of curve. Anyone have any suggestions? What do you look for in a cafe besides coffee?

alec
02-22-2014, 05:46 AM
Personally, I like it when places like yours have some sort of offer going on, like say, one coffee & milk plus bottled water and a fresh croissant, for a reasonable price. What I mean is that instead of focusing on things to add on the menu you could spin the ones you already have until you figure something new. Maybe try selling the items you already have on the menu in a unique or strange fashion?

Also, go out often and eat/drink at competing cafes, you'll see the new things they do and how they do it.

sofieb529
02-22-2014, 09:14 AM
If its a cafe theme you want to move along then you should have baked goods? Try to make them fresh! A cafe should have that smell of perfect coffee and fresh baked goods! It makes you want to stay there no longer and naturally you'll spend more money there!

CG7262
02-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Hmm you're suggestions do sound real good. I don't think we need more of those offerss though. Our prices are already very affordable but you're onto something with that use what you have mantra. I'm thinking I should into some kind of platter set-ups with our breakfast meals.

Baked good sounds great and now that I think about it we really should start focusing on that more. We definitely need more snack-type food that goes great with coffee. Is the cronut worth looking into? I tend to dabble in baking. I'm no good but I'm wondering if the cronut is actually any good. Again, that didn't really trend much where I'm from.

Thanks for the answers!

fredkawig
02-24-2014, 07:31 AM
If you're looking for breakfast ideas, you should go for sausages, hotdog meals, expand your choice of burgers, try to add salads and other foods that could be of interest to other people specially for vegans and those who are on a diet. Try to cook a variety of pasta, sandwiches, rice meals, burgers and other foods that might interest a number of people. Usually variety is a very attractive thing when it comes to food businesses.

sofieb529
02-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Hmm you're suggestions do sound real good. I don't think we need more of those offerss though. Our prices are already very affordable but you're onto something with that use what you have mantra. I'm thinking I should into some kind of platter set-ups with our breakfast meals.

Baked good sounds great and now that I think about it we really should start focusing on that more. We definitely need more snack-type food that goes great with coffee. Is the cronut worth looking into? I tend to dabble in baking. I'm no good but I'm wondering if the cronut is actually any good. Again, that didn't really trend much where I'm from.

Thanks for the answers!

" platter set ups"..? Like combos? That would be brilliant!

caveman
02-24-2014, 09:37 AM
If you're still not sure and have a few ideas, you could maybe take a survey and see what maybe the customers would like to see. You could also put up a suggestion box at the end of the survey to see if they have new ideas for the menu and if it goes well, you'll be able to see what kind of food they'll like to be added.

Ryand88
02-24-2014, 02:50 PM
You could try a random dish kinda idea, different things every day or something meaning that it's something people would look forward to ordering when they go to your cafe, Do that 10 times and get one meal free? I think this would be easier than coming up with a whole new staple dish and still allow your cafe to be unique.

mameeker@cuse
02-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Why not start making fresh cinnamon rolls to go along with the coffee. This could effectively start a "to go" crowd if you are on a popular street for commuters.

Taru
02-25-2014, 04:31 AM
I'd consider making value combos over expanding the menu, personally. I think it would be better not to spread yourself too thin in terms of the menu, but if it won't take that much extra effort anyway, then I suppose adding on to the menu would be beneficial. I'd say anything that goes well with your cafe's personality would be good, preferably something unique as you've said that you need a flagship item. I say focus more on building your restaurant's personality so people can identify you apart from the others, and as for specific items, I'd suggest pastries and finger foods as I rarely like eating fuller types of meals when I'm having my coffee, but again that's just my personal opinion and it might be far off from your local area's tastes and customs.

broadwaylady57
02-25-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm on Yelp and I think that having a signature dish can really help you. I know I've tried some of my favorite restaurants because they were featured in "Best of" Lists for one dish. In terms of suggestions, have you thought about some kind of fusion cuisine? Like a bahn mi (Vietnamese) with traditionally Indian seasoning?

angelicagapit
02-25-2014, 11:14 PM
My family and I also have a small café and we sell practically the same menu as yours. One thing we have that you guys don’t is pasta. Here in my country, pasta is very common to adult moms. They’re our main market for pastas and also, we sell fries, which cater to kids the most. Maybe you can start selling pastries, cakes, and cookies as well!

I hope I helped. Good luck with your cafe!

crimsonghost747
02-26-2014, 02:38 AM
I can't help but think that your current menu is quite heavy for breakfast. Do people really want a hamburger for breakfast?
I'd try adding something lighter, such as cinnamon rolls, croissants etc. also if you don't already, start serving tea... some good tea not one that people can get from the local grocery store.

anatel
03-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi, you could do research on other countries breakfast. For example in France they usually have croissants and other pastries, in spain they have "tortilla española" which is an egg tortilla with spinach and potatoes, in Costa Rica they have "gallopinoto" which is made out of refried beans and rice. Maybe you could have Monday be Spanish breakfast, Tuesday French and so on.

lizzief79
03-20-2014, 05:13 PM
If I go out for brunch or lunch in a cafe then all I often want is a cake and a coffee. Perhaps developing a range of cakes or pastry treats would be a good idea. I used to work as a chef in a restaurant and often people only want light bites, such as sandwiches. In the UK, paninis are a popular variation of this at the moment. You could make yours stand out from others. For example, instead of offering cheese and tomato or tuna melt paninis, you could offer goats cheese and caramelized onion or roasted mediterranean vegetables as fillings.

gadgetised
03-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Fresh baked goods always sell well. So do fresh fruit juices.

mikelouis
03-21-2014, 12:34 AM
If it was me, I would check out my competitors menu. I will try to check out what they are offering and am no offering. That is the best way to get your customers satisfied that they can get all they what to eat from under one roof rather than going to the neighbor's place to get it.

bingaguilar
03-25-2014, 06:30 AM
If its a cafe theme you want to move along then you should have baked goods? Try to make them fresh! A cafe should have that smell of perfect coffee and fresh baked goods! It makes you want to stay there no longer and naturally you'll spend more money there!

Yes, agree with you completely. Nothing attracts me more into entering a cafe than the aroma of freshly baked goodies. You don't have to offer a lot of variety. Just try offering a couple at a time and see how they work out. And of course, keep them fresh. That alone would keep your customers coming back for more :p