PDA

View Full Version : Changing company culture / motivating staff to go above and beyond

crobert
04-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Hi everyone. There are some great points on this message board about leadership and motivating staff but what are peoples thoughts on the best ways to make a U turn in company culture if good strategies aren't being implemented and how to get staff onboard with that?

A bit of background to the question...I run a small creative agency in the UK dealing mostly with music and the advertising industry (i.e. highly saturated, demanding market). I have a few full time members of staff and this has built up from a young solo trader in a spare room.

The problem I face is that the business still has an 'assistant' to the boss culture to it, which it has outgrown but I am having difficulty changing. Deadlines often require 12hr+ days or working weekends to completed (this is just the nature of our industry and doing a 'fun' job). The company culture is very much one of 'helping out the boss between 9-5' rather than one of ownership of projects/areas and staying and getting the job done. With low salaries (comparatively to other industries) and a company size that is too small to be incentivised by promotion, what other methods could I employ to motivate staff to go above and beyond and how to get them to shift from their current pattern?

Coach Cindy
04-14-2017, 01:49 PM
You're not alone with this problem. Low motivation impacts 70% of US business and costs businesses over $300 Billion of lost productivity. I believe it is not much better in the UK. (I'm sure this doesn't help you feel any better) :(

You're absolutely right that culture and employee motivation go hand in hand. I work with companies in this exact forum and here's how we create successful change:

1. Interview your employees to know and understand them better. I focus in on 5 categories - safety and security at work; financial needs; relationships with peers and superiors; recognition - how do they want to be recognized for their accomplishments and achievements at work; personal growth and fulfillment - what are their goals, what's important to them, what about their work brings them joy and fulfillment.

2. Learn the employees' perspective about your corporate culture - how are things done here; what does the company stand for; what makes us different from our competitors.

3. Write down your perspective of your current corporate culture. What do you think your company values are as the business stands right now? What is the company mission? What is the "WHY" or purpose of the business - the difference it's making in the world/community?

4. Write down what you want to your corporate culture to be.

5. Step back and compare and assess the information gathered in Steps 1 - 4. Where are the overlaps and similarities? What needs to change? What needs are not being fulfilled in the employees?

6. Create your change strategy - start with 2 or 3 new policies or strategies. Change management takes time!! You have to start small and focus in on those few changes regularly - until they become part of the culture and beliefs of your company. Remember - culture is to be felt not just by employees but by current and potential customers. How are you living these changes internally and externally?

7. Communicate, communicate, communicate - open and honest conversations with your staff about the good, the bad and the ugly is essential for them to start buying into these changes. Explain why you're doing this (not to get them to work harder) but because you see that they're not thrilled coming to work. You want to provide them with more opportunities to grow and advance.

You say that your company size is too small to be incentivized by promotion makes me think you have the view that your company isn't positioned to grow. This culture work and differentiating yourself from your competition is just the thing to need to stand out from the others. Also think about how you need to grow as a leader. If you don't grow, your company never will.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

zdkformations
08-03-2017, 02:36 AM
Hi to all the entrepreneurs who are finding ways to success in their business as you all might be well aware of the fact that a company is made from employees and that are trustworthy and good. So, for them to be good there is a basic ideology to make them feel happy and good to work under you. For that there are certain methods to make them feel happy and provide a positive environment.
For dealing with your employees requires great and small efforts. It could be making them feel happy through celebrating your victory with them by giving a party. It could be playing games after office hours someday. It could be giving motivational speeches and going social and solving their issues instantly. Making a good bond with your employees by making them realize that unity is your strength and for that you need to work as a team to gain maximum profit. These are some of the ways that can help to make a good office environment.

speeduser
01-10-2019, 02:07 AM
We've been thinking of ways and answers to the question you posted. It's a bit hard if your employees are close-minded and not able to adapt. It can backfire to the company. - Paul Savramis (http://oceans2003.org/paul-savramis/)

karizma
05-27-2019, 02:47 PM
Friends, I need help writing a speech to motivate employees to work. Help me please.

AnnieMay
05-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Friends, I need help writing a speech to motivate employees to work. Help me please.

A very good idea to raise the morale of employees. Have you chosen the moment when you want to give your speech?

AnnieMay
05-27-2019, 03:22 PM

A very good idea to raise the morale of employees. Have you chosen the moment when you want to give your speech? A good speech is your chance to express your opinions and persuade the audience to consider it. You might have a great idea or an inspiring message but you still need the help of trustworthy speech writing services to attract the attention of the audience and keep them interested and engaged. I think that Edusson (https://edusson.com/speech-writing-service) will be able to help you in writing and writing a speech that will help you and your company.

him6y
05-28-2019, 04:56 AM
Alter The Role Of The Very Most Motivated Worker.
Help Employees Engage.
Set Obvious Goals For The Team.
Show Employees Why They Matter.
Give Regular Recognition.
Give Frequent Feedback.