PDA

View Full Version : For Internet banking users: how do you ensure your money is safe?

Rainman
02-22-2014, 03:41 AM
Just yesterday when scanning my PC for viruses I found out that somehow, a keylogger had been maliciously installed in my system. Since I don't browse much on my PC that didn't worry me much but it had me thinking. . .what if I'd tried to withdraw money from my bank or paid for something using my debit card? Wouldn't I be sharing my banking info with the wrong people?

Since you can't tell when an internet 'conman/thief' will strike how do you guys ensure your money is safe if you occasionally use it internet banking services?

delusional
02-24-2014, 12:56 PM
I use two-factor authentication on almost every important account I use. My bank uses a system that needs your bankcard and your PIN number. So I'm pretty sure it's safe.

owesem75
02-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Check your bank for mobile authentication, that for every transaction especially transfer, payment or anything that releases money from your account you need to supply a pin number sent to you through your mobile phone. In some cases, multiple layer of protection is also available just consult your bank about these features that maybe available attached to their services.

Taru
02-24-2014, 10:49 PM
I use a separate computer for logging into my online financial accounts. I know it isn't entirely practical, but it's only a cheap laptop and I never use it for anything else other than for checking my finances and doing a few transactions. It's not that I'm that paranoid, either, but somehow I just ended up doing it this way just because I had an available spare laptop that I knew I wouldn't be using. I also try to keep the emails I use for finances separate from the ones I use to sign up for other sites and programs, just to be extra safe.

pr0xx1d
02-24-2014, 11:16 PM
I use multi-level verification. For example, I have them text me a PIN if they don't recognize a certain computer. I also have them email me with suspicious account activity if it should occur.

CeliVega
02-25-2014, 01:14 AM
I use mobile authentication as well. It actually makes you feel much safer if every transaction has to go through you and approved by yourself. This way it is highly unlikely that someone else will use your information or id to make unauthorized purchase or transactions. As said by posters above, it is a good choice to manage every monetary issues with a separate computer as well. Also, I think that if you are careful enough to erase the caches or cookies everytime after logging in to your bank accounts, you should be safer as well.

pahagwl
02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Well, in today's world you can not ever be too safe. So, I partake a two step approach to ensure that my bank credentials remain secure. The first step is that I scan my system for viruses and malware almost daily and that too with the latest softwares. And secondly, I have activated mobile authentication with my account, which means that any payment needs two confirmations in order too go through, i.e., through my pc and by sending an text from my phone to the bank in order to authenticate it.

cpefley
02-25-2014, 11:14 AM
I've never had an issue. I also use a two-factor authentication when logging in, and another of my accounts uses an access number, password, and last four of my social. It hasn't been compromised so far. I don't think that there is any system that is impossible to hack though.

crimsonghost747
02-25-2014, 01:31 PM
I am a bit worried about credit cards, however recently when I made a purchase from a foreign website with my card my bank did the mobile verification thing... I didn't know they do it with credit cards but I don't mind. I do have that system enabled in my internet bank account in the extent that every new recipient of payments has to be confirmed by a mobile authentication.

DomDom
02-25-2014, 04:49 PM
I think the best and only true safe solution is to have a PC that is used only for paying online and will visit only safe websites. You can use some older cheaper PC for this.

crimsonghost747
02-25-2014, 05:27 PM
I think the best and only true safe solution is to have a PC that is used only for paying online and will visit only safe websites. You can use some older cheaper PC for this.

It will increase your chances a lot, but even this is not 100% sure.
I personally prefer banks who have some sort of keycode list. For example my bank gives me a list of 500 keycodes, each one corresponding to a number. I put in my ID and password and the website will give me a number, to which I have to "reply" with the code corresponding to that number. Once a code is used once it is discarded. This way I'm safe because that one list is on an actual paper instead of being on my computer, and each code is only used once.

LindaKay
02-25-2014, 07:55 PM
I probably am not as careful with this as I should be. I use basic safety rules, like having tricky passwords to figure out and only shopping on safe sites. I suppose I should be more diligent about protecting my information, though.

crimsonghost747
02-26-2014, 02:19 AM
I probably am not as careful with this as I should be. I use basic safety rules, like having tricky passwords to figure out and only shopping on safe sites. I suppose I should be more diligent about protecting my information, though.

Those are both good but in addition activating any additional security systems provided by your bank and regularly scanning your computer are great ideas. You just can't be too carefull when it comes to keeping your bank account safe.

sofieb529
02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
If you are banking with a major institution in your country they should have a protection agreement in place. In that agreement they will let you know what you can do to protect yourself against hackers ( change your passwords periodically, close browsers when done.etc.) and what they will do if something happens.

DomDom
02-26-2014, 04:10 PM
It will increase your chances a lot, but even this is not 100% sure.
I personally prefer banks who have some sort of keycode list. For example my bank gives me a list of 500 keycodes, each one corresponding to a number. I put in my ID and password and the website will give me a number, to which I have to "reply" with the code corresponding to that number. Once a code is used once it is discarded. This way I'm safe because that one list is on an actual paper instead of being on my computer, and each code is only used once.

The combination of that kind of keycodes and a specific PC is the best thing then! :)

Lostvalleyguy
03-03-2014, 02:29 AM
No matter what system you have in place for internet banking you can never be 100% safe but being vigilant is the best thing. Make sure your antivirus software is up to date. Make sure you go to the bank, it doesn't come looking for you. Even when I do get a legitimate link from my bank to take me somewhere directly, I never use it. I open the Bank's site and navigate. I periodically look at all the tasks running in the background on my computer to make sure I know exactly what is active (this is also handy to speed things up a bit). Finally I use a different browser with higher security settings - which makes it pretty useless for browsing but gets me to my bank.

crimsonghost747
03-03-2014, 03:23 AM
Love the idea of using a different browser for banking. So simple and quite effective.. now if only I'd find another browser I like using. :D

Jkility
03-03-2014, 04:20 PM
There's many ways to keep your internet banking safe and secure and a lot is down to you as the user to do, which includes keeping your computer secure, ensuring you keep anti-virus's up to date etc etc, my bank also does a lot on security, for example everytime I log onto my bank it tells me to install their certified internet security (which personally I dont need as I am a IT professional and know how to keep my computer safe), they also use 2-factor authentication which includes a physical secure key being sent out to me to my address and everytime I want to log on I have to enture a code on my device to create a code to enter on the website, so the only way for my security to be flawed is if someone broke into my physical address.

Gmac9100
03-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Right. You need to stop being so paranoid. Just restore the computer to factory settings. It will wipe all the files off the hard drive, and install the operating system again. This way you don't have to worry about any key-loggers. Only visit safe sites from this computer, and you will be o.k.

angelicagapit
03-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Online banking is quite dangerous, also due to the rise in phishing emails. Phishing emails use Bank names as disguises to try to get your account number and password in order to get the money in your account. Try to avoid these emails because they could really cause some damage financially.

Good luck and watch out for scam emails that pretend to be bank accounts!

mikelouis
03-04-2014, 03:32 AM
You simply need to make sure that you regularly check for viruses and keyloggers to avoid such circumstances. Also use an online bank that can guarantee safety of your money. I know banks like PayPal can be strict but it is the only way to keep your money safe while online.

caveman
03-04-2014, 06:13 AM
Check your bank for mobile authentication, that for every transaction especially transfer, payment or anything that releases money from your account you need to supply a pin number sent to you through your mobile phone. In some cases, multiple layer of protection is also available just consult your bank about these features that maybe available attached to their services.

Yeah I use this same feature. If I want to make any transaction, a 4 digit pin is always sent to my account so even if someone knows my account number or anything, they still can't use the card.

Linvall
03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Just yesterday when scanning my PC for viruses I found out that somehow, a keylogger had been maliciously installed in my system. Since I don't browse much on my PC that didn't worry me much but it had me thinking. . .what if I'd tried to withdraw money from my bank or paid for something using my debit card? Wouldn't I be sharing my banking info with the wrong people?

Since you can't tell when an internet 'conman/thief' will strike how do you guys ensure your money is safe if you occasionally use it internet banking services?
Well, make sure to get a decent anti-virus. It's important that the anti-virus continually updates itself. What you could do for extra-precaution is to ensure that you use a proxy VPN to hide your IP address and assign another IP address. This confuses hackers. ProXPN works well. You can also try Securitykiss or ProVPN.

DomDom
03-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Well, make sure to get a decent anti-virus. It's important that the anti-virus continually updates itself. What you could do for extra-precaution is to ensure that you use a proxy VPN to hide your IP address and assign another IP address. This confuses hackers. ProXPN works well. You can also try Securitykiss or ProVPN.

And seriously, dont visit weird websites. Take an old computer and dedicate it only to online banking, its the best protection.

pahagwl
03-11-2014, 10:00 AM
You simply need to make sure that you regularly check for viruses and keyloggers to avoid such circumstances. Also use an online bank that can guarantee safety of your money. I know banks like PayPal can be strict but it is the only way to keep your money safe while online.

I agree with this completely that you have to regularly check your system for viruses and malware. You should also check for keyloggers (these are programs which track key strokes. You should also clear cookies from your browser, as these are the programs which contain tracking software.

owesem75
03-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Multi level security somehow makes us feel safe in doing on-line transaction. You just have to consult your bank to subscribe to this service. Also, there are some banks that collect service fees to shield your transactions, i.e. a small amount for insurance to cover loses in the event that your card is hacked.

crimsonghost747
03-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Multi level security somehow makes us feel safe in doing on-line transaction. You just have to consult your bank to subscribe to this service. Also, there are some banks that collect service fees to shield your transactions, i.e. a small amount for insurance to cover loses in the event that your card is hacked.

Depending on where you live, this might already be taken care of by the government.
If you have a large amount of money, it's also a good idea to check out what the local laws say about what happens if the bank goes bankrupt. Most governements have insured your money up to a certain point, but beyond that it might just disappear with the rest of the bank.

DomDom
03-12-2014, 03:48 PM

I think this service shouldnt be paid at all.

JohnSword
03-13-2014, 02:59 AM
There are certain precautions that you should take to ensure you're not subjecting your accounts to undue risk.

Of course, you should make sure that the password you create one that is truly unique. Add symbols, numbers and mix lower and upper case letters. It's also a good idea to change this password every six months to keep hackers guessing

Also, your finances are only as secure as the computer you're using. As such, be sure to have a good firewall to prevent hackers from accessing the data packets that are being exchanged between your PC and the host computer with which you are communicating.

Finally, be aware of potential attempts to steal your personal information. A bank will never ask you to relay sensitive data over a phone call or email. And always be sure to type in your bank's URL carefully. Check for an "https" at the beginning for confirmation you're logged into a legitimate, secure bank website.

idlecuriosities
03-13-2014, 07:48 AM
This is something I too have wondered about. It seems like it would be really easy to make a mistake and, poof a hacker makes off with your preciously earned income. From experience, however, I can tell you that as long as you are going through a respected institution and you have a secure password, you won't have any serious problems.

difrancprod
03-13-2014, 09:21 AM
I make sure that I log out completely and delete all cookies on that browser. Plus I don't give out my password or pin. I don't give my account number or cc details just to any site.

pahagwl
03-13-2014, 01:46 PM
I make sure that I log out completely and delete all cookies on that browser. Plus I don't give out my password or pin. I don't give my account number or cc details just to any site.

These steps may look very basic on the surface but they are very relevant and important in the context of interent banking. These are the steps I recommend everyone to follow in order to stay safe while conducting internet banking. The only thing I would like to add to this post is that people should also beware of shoulder surfers, the ones who try to look at your keystrokes when you type in your passwords. Another advice I would like to share is that you should beware of keyloggers, i.e., softwares which track your key presses.

DomDom
03-13-2014, 04:01 PM
These steps may look very basic on the surface but they are very relevant and important in the context of interent banking. These are the steps I recommend everyone to follow in order to stay safe while conducting internet banking. The only thing I would like to add to this post is that people should also beware of shoulder surfers, the ones who try to look at your keystrokes when you type in your passwords. Another advice I would like to share is that you should beware of keyloggers, i.e., softwares which track your key presses.

I use a separate PC for internet banking (only!) because of keyloggers.

Eagles910
03-13-2014, 08:11 PM

It would be easier to use your banking companies app. You would eliminate the need to do all of that.

mikka254
03-14-2014, 03:53 AM
As technology advances, more ways of stealing money from unsuspecting people are fine tuned everyday. However, the banks security is also getting more advanced making it even more difficult to steal money with what now seems to be ancient techniques. If you use debit/credit cards to shop at the store, there is a high chance of your credit card information being stolen and used to purchase goods at different stores. To avoid this, there is now new technology for the cards called chip and pin. These new cards now use chip and pin for authentication instead of the traditional magnetic stripe meaning the card cannot be cloned. As per internet banking, it is advised that you make sure that all transactions are performed on a private computer and that the computer is scanned regularly by an up to date antivirus. Also, never click on weird looking links in your email. It is usually something idiotic like a $500 give-away or a dating network. This is how they get these keyloggers into your computer infecting your system with malicious viruses. Safe banking.

caparica007
03-20-2014, 04:17 AM
I think that banking sites are pretty safe and reliable these days and you need to do several things wrong to get stolen online. Have a good anti-virus, pay attention to what you click and which sites you visit and you will be safe I think. Never, never access your bank account in a public computer, ever!

useruseruser
03-23-2014, 03:43 PM
With Bitcoin, your money is always safe. I'm not trying to convince you to use it , I'm just sharing my knowledge. I don't know if its a good idea to use Bitcoin as a method of money storage in your business but it works for me. I hope I helped!

pahagwl
03-24-2014, 01:34 AM
With Bitcoin, your money is always safe. I'm not trying to convince you to use it , I'm just sharing my knowledge. I don't know if its a good idea to use Bitcoin as a method of money storage in your business but it works for me. I hope I helped!

I really do not think that the OP would want to switch the currency he uses in order to be safe from online intruders. That said, I would also like to point out to you that even Bitcoin is not a safe mode of making transactions. This is very evident from the fact that almost all of the reputable people recommend you to keep your keys to the bitcoin in a cold wallet, i.e., on a device which is not connected to the internet. This is due to the reason that even online, people try to steal your stuff through unscrupulous means.

fredkawig
03-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Most keylogger viruses and malware are not made by individual people rather by top secret authorities like CIA and some business establishments that create anti-viruses. I doubt you will need to do further precautions other than those suggested here.

DomDom
03-24-2014, 03:27 PM

I dont think it is, its too speculative to invest in.

SteakTartare
03-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I've never had an issue.

+1. I've done Internet banking and investing since the mid-90s and never have had a problem. A properly patched OS, good anti-malware software, a firewall, and a little common sense go a long way toward security. So far, its been a non-issue.

Eagles910
03-24-2014, 05:13 PM
I think that banking sites are pretty safe and reliable these days and you need to do several things wrong to get stolen online. Have a good anti-virus, pay attention to what you click and which sites you visit and you will be safe I think. Never, never access your bank account in a public computer, ever!

I agree with this. The banking sites are secure. The only thing you have to worry about is malware, and phising. Some sites can install malware in your browser without you knowing. That malware could secretely upload your passwords, and cookie data to a hackers server. if that happens you wil have real problems. All you need to do is make sure that your computer is malware free, and you should be fine.

mramirsking
03-25-2014, 09:21 PM
I look for the padlock in the corner that says this connection is secure, usually thats enough proof that hackers can't get through. I have Avast internet security and Malware bytes to look for pop ups that make their way through the internet and slow down your connection. The worst thing is when the search engine gets taken over by babylon. Worms and trojans are really bad.

cheapwebdesignchicago
06-25-2014, 10:00 AM
One's own vigilance is the best defense. Change pw's often and review your account activity for suspicious items. And of course keep your computer patched, malware protection/scans, etc.

redalert
07-21-2014, 03:57 AM
everything possible as nothing impossible but think other ways has their own weaknesses but internet banking is the suit and easy way and you can use high security factors to be safe ...

RonnieLGreer
08-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Internet banking security is important accept for both banks and their customers. to ensure security banking websites now feature with timed log-outs deactivation of log in details after several incorrect attempts and various authentication steps. Bank website also have soo many authentication steps.

Davidpkeefe
08-16-2014, 12:47 AM
Finance institutions take internet banking safety very seriously, working hard to guard their consumers from fraudulence. When you register to your web bank account you will be asked to help enter safety information such as a password as well as pass program code, Some banks have also introduced credit card readers along with secure crucial devices besides your sign in details Every piece of information you send in your bank will be data encrypted. Which means the particulars are encoded, which makes it incredibly tough for hackers to get into it. Another technique banks keep you protected is simply by automatically deactivating your sign in details after a certain number of failed sign in attempts.

richards
12-23-2018, 12:38 PM

Bigger financial institutions are saver than new comers obviously but some new comers have the backing of a large back, ie N26.

essencepk
11-12-2019, 12:28 AM
Always use genuine anti-virus software.
Always use genuine anti-virus software.
Avoid Using Public Wi-Fi or Use VPN software.
Avoid Using Public Wi-Fi or Use VPN software.
Check for latest updates of your Smartphone's operating system.

shanzishanzy
03-25-2020, 07:19 AM
Find out the best and quality internet packages and subscribe to one of them according to your need and enjoy with your friends and family members.
More info (https://thepackageshub.com/zong-monthly-internet-packages/)

mikekane
04-29-2020, 06:52 AM
Use a Mobile VPN. Please read this for detailed guide https://www.purevpn.com/blog/mobile-vpn/

holisticbuilder
05-28-2020, 05:01 AM
List items

Highlighted scrap from the web

Here are 8 hints to utilize web banking securely:

Continuously utilize veritable enemy of infection programming. ...

Continuously utilize certifiable enemy of infection programming. ...

Abstain from Utilizing Open Wi-Fi or Use VPN programming. ...

Abstain from Utilizing Open Wi-Fi or Use VPN programming. ...

Check for most recent updates of your Cell phone's working framework.

King Fast
06-09-2020, 06:59 AM
We all should use multi layer authentication process like, when I am doing internet banking; my login always asked for OTP which is coming on my mobile then only I can login.

ludacriss
07-05-2020, 08:34 AM
I prefer to put my money in different banks, so in that way if one bank will collapsed - other banks would be totally okay, and my loss would be minimal.

ludacriss
07-05-2020, 08:36 AM
And what is really important for online banking - is to change your passwords to your online accounts and constantly make security re-checks of your online banking account.

kevvinQ
07-05-2020, 09:37 AM
I think that all banks themselves should care about security issues of their online banking services, and clients should not care about it. Like any other payment platforms as well, because every payment system - it's a thing where money go all around and intruders would like to get access to them. Talking of payment systems, I've read some awesome reviews about this one ( site: https://sticpay.com ) payment platform STICPAY, which is a leader of digital payments, as people say. Did you test it?

Lilykevin86
07-24-2020, 11:29 PM
Abstain from following an email to your bank's site and afterward enter individual subtleties. Ensure you type your bank's location into your Web program. Fraudsters likewise target web based financial clients with counterfeit messages mentioning that "only a test" installments be made on the web, which uncovered your charge card subtleties.