PDA

View Full Version : Car Signs and Magnets - Do they work?

Lois5669
02-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone! I am new here and am hoping to learn tips for growing my "mom and pop" plumbing business that I own with my husband.

I ordered business cards from Vista Print and noticed other items they have available. Something that interested me were car door magnets/signs. Does anyone utilize this form of advertising? If so, how effective is it? The magnets aren't that expensive, so I am thinking they are a good way to advertise "on the go." :)

Also, I was thinking about those vinyl lettering type of signs that you peel off and put on your back car window. Those seem to cost a little more, but do you think they are worth the investment?

I am trying to take baby steps and build on our advertising and marketing so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

AlecD
02-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Of course they work. But like all advertising, their efficacy is highly variable. The only way to get an idea as to whether or not they will work for you, is to give it a try. Best of luck!

crucider
02-27-2014, 03:17 PM
It'll work, but it really depends on where you drive the car and how often you drive the car. If your car is just sitting the garage doing nothing, well then of course it won't work. But if you're always on the highway and probably stuck in traffic there is a really high chance of someone noticing it and may wanting to use the service.

angelicagapit
02-28-2014, 01:22 AM
Car signs and magnets don't work for me most of the time. In order to market well, I believe businesses should be able to spread information about your business, not just simply your company name, logo, and contact information.

This type of marketing isn't so convincing for people, but I guess you can say it gets your name out in the public.

Good luck!

alec
02-28-2014, 07:10 AM
If they're affordable, like you mention they are, go for it! See if you can also convince family members or friends to stick the magnets on their cars. Even if they bring just a few more customers to your business door it'll be worth it!

Another idea would be to grab a few customized fridge magnets. Make them look funny, use Mario for example (well known plumber!), and don't forget to add your logo. If they're interesting enough people will keep and stick them on things thus generating more free advertising.

Mafdet
02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Hello,

I would suggest the stickers rather than magnets. At least you can make sure the sticker will not fall off of the surface you stick it on. If you wish to advertise with magnets and they seem to be a reasonable investment, you can try with a small batch and see how it goes. Make sure to have an easy to spot and recognize logo. I think it's very important for the message to be easy to understand. Why not use customized pens or bags?

pahagwl
02-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Even though this is not one of the traditional methods of marketing, I feel that this could work in getting a presence for your business in the outside world. This will only work if you are able to get people to stick them onto their cars. And here it is where it gets tricky, if you stick posters only on your own car, you wont be able to spread information amongst large number of people. But if you are able to get it stuck onto a number of vehicles, it will work.

delusional
03-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Just think about the gadgets. Would you use it? Ask some people to have a better idea.

Some people might hate car magnets because they could scratch their paint.

CSomm
03-01-2014, 04:42 PM
They absolutely work, but you shouldn't expect a giant change. It's reinforcement advertising---people who've heard of you will remember you better because you've successfully kept your name in their minds, but it's unlikely to matter to anyone who isn't really in the market, or someone just hearing about you for the first time. Still, you need a lot of different advertising methods to saturate your area---this is just one of them.

Eagles910
03-01-2014, 05:11 PM
I would say that business card are the way to go.Pins, and refrigerator magnets are a waste of money. they are gimmicks that do not work. people throw those things in the trash. People are more likely to keep business cards because they are more professional, and easier to manage. Do not go for gimmicks. Choose professionalism.

coffee
03-01-2014, 05:49 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but you will need to check with your state's rules because in some states it's illegal to use car signage like magnets and decals unless you have a special permit. Sucks, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Personally when I've seen these on cars I never write the info down to check out later.

pahagwl
03-02-2014, 01:22 PM
I would say that business card are the way to go.Pins, and refrigerator magnets are a waste of money. they are gimmicks that do not work. people throw those things in the trash. People are more likely to keep business cards because they are more professional, and easier to manage. Do not go for gimmicks. Choose professionalism.

Well people tend to preserve things which are good looking and unique. So, if the pins and refrigerator magnets you choose are unique and attractive, people are bound to preserve and admire them. They must cost initially but go a long way into building a brand image for your business.

Taru
03-02-2014, 07:36 PM
In my opinion, they do work, but just as a form of brand recognition and it really can't be relied on to get you actual customers. Also, the stickers and magnets have to have an angle unique enough to convince people to put them up in the first place, otherwise they would most likely just be ignored or at best they will be put up but the people seeing them might not gain enough of an idea of what the company is about to give a good enough amount of trust. Personally, I'd only choose this method as a secondary form of advertisement and most likely would opt to just spend my marketing budget on something a little more concrete such as targeted local online ads.

Eagles910
03-03-2014, 08:37 AM
Well people tend to preserve things which are good looking and unique. So, if the pins and refrigerator magnets you choose are unique and attractive, people are bound to preserve and admire them. They must cost initially but go a long way into building a brand image for your business.

I have to disagree. Pins, and refrigerator magnets are to gimmicky., but i guess it depends on what type of business you are promoting. If your business is a a fast food restaurant, or retail store of some kind. Then pins, and refrigerator magnets make work. If your business is a Law Firm, or something of that sort. business cards are more appropriate, and respectable.

fredkawig
03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Those things are actually very effective and a cost efficient way to advertise. It's also an attractive and a good way to get people to look at your business. This is a good idea and I have never really thought of it although a lot of people are utilizing this form of advertisement already. Hopefully you succeed with your business, I hope we all do with our undertakings.

LindaKay
03-03-2014, 04:52 PM
I think they can, it just depends on what you are advertising. They can't hurt. They're relatively cheap to have made and don't require any additional effort or cash. You just have them made, slap them on your car and go.

tspires2
03-04-2014, 01:26 PM
We have used the Vinyl Letters and live in a rural area where most people know one another but it really helped us get the word out! Instead of loosing business from people in our area they knew we were now in the business even though we may not have told that person yet! Everyone knows how small town loves to talk!

cpefley
03-05-2014, 09:09 PM
You know what I worry about? Driving very carefully, because everyone that you drive near has your phone number. If you cut someone off, expect a nasty message. I know it seems silly, but it happens.

gadgetised
03-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Personally I don't pay much attention to or give much credibility to car ads. They are more annoying than anything. The same goes with bus and train ads. Subconsciously they probably work, but in my mind its just clutter and noise.

daleo717
03-05-2014, 10:02 PM
It sure does happen. I used to work for a driving school and of course our name and phone number was on the side of the car. The owner had hired this new driver and this man turned out to be a maniac. One day he had a student out for a lesson and a procession of cars from a funeral were turning at the intersection and this made him mad, because there were lots of cars and he had to wait maybe 5 minutes to turn. Well he starting screaming at the cars and he gave each one the finger. Well you can imagine how disturbing this was to the people in the funeral procession.

Well they got him back good, they wrote down the name and phone number of the driving school, and the calls started coming in. I was the one taking the calls, and there was anger, crying....and every emotion you could think of calling me, telling me what had happened. Needless to say that new driver got quite the scolding from the owner. And soon afterward he got fired.....and he should have gotten fired. I had to take calls about that for several weeks afterward. So yes when your name and phone number are on the car, you had better be on your best driving behavior!!

albertj786
03-14-2014, 02:24 AM
yes it'll will work but it depends on you that how you often drive your car and other things if you drive your car alot then people attract towards your business and people will notice on it and you should also promote your business through social media

Athenagdlyt
04-02-2014, 03:52 AM
I believe it will work especially if the sticker is on a service vehicle which is always being driven around the city. If the sign is attractive, I would not hesitate to list the numbers down. You might as well include a QR code to make it easier for smartphones to catch the number. Where I live, this type of advertising would probably be very effective since our country has one of the worst traffic situations. If your city has slow moving traffic this can also work to your advantage.

ElvisPresley
04-02-2014, 09:31 AM
If I had to pick just one thing I'd start off with something that I could hand out that will be useful for people, such as a notepad or calendar. Something that people will use in their everyday life and keep in sight. The magnets can be used for both of these, and the fact that they can be placed on the fridge is a bonus because I know that if I needed a plumber, and didn't have a regular guy, I'd definitely consider someone who gave me some free merchandise.

Adsonwheels
04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm happy I found this post. We specialize in vehicle wraps and mobile advertising and in my personal opinion (although it may be biased lol) is that, yes, it does work! Check out this Arbitron Study : http://www.adsonwheels.com/files/resources/Arbitron_outdoor_study.pdf

loraanna
04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
They actually do work and if you purchase one through vista print you can create it in a few minutes
and they are not expensive. I purchased mine during a sale and I think it was $25.00 for two. That's a great use of
advertisement dollars.

stacyje
04-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Yes I would have to say there have been many times where I have tried to write down numbers off of cars and other advertising for a business at a red light or just in traffic. I think that these ways work greatly.

FrankHicks
12-10-2015, 05:16 AM
Want to marketing your business!? Through Car signage you can develop your company, as a way of marketing. Which is also part of advertisement.
www.primesigns.co.nz/portfolio/vehicle-signage

johterry
12-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Of course they work

noface0711
03-19-2016, 04:25 AM
In my opinion, they do work, but just as a form of brand recognition and it really can't be relied on to get you actual customers. Also, the stickers and magnets have to have an angle unique enough to convince people to put them up in the first place, otherwise they would most likely just be ignored or at best they will be put up but the people seeing them might not gain enough of an idea of what the company is about to give a good enough amount of trust. Personally, I'd only choose this method as a secondary form of advertisement and most likely would opt to just spend my marketing budget on something a little more concrete such as targeted local online ads.

magnetking
03-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Yea if you spend a lot of time on the road, custom magnetic signs really turn your vehicle into a traveling billboard. You’re passing hundreds or thousands of cars each day. Other drivers see your magnetic vehicle signs (http://stickerz.com/product/magnetic-vehicle-signs/) and, when seen enough, they will remember your company. They are inexpensive, also extremely easy to install and clean yourself.

AlliHussein
06-21-2017, 10:43 AM
Car signs and magnets don't really present your business in detail as much as business cards. As what most replies here, steer clear of them. They are not worth the money, even if they are cheap.

bsimmons2
02-02-2019, 12:16 PM
I agree with the consensus from a marketing standpoint but will add a slightly different perspective. The value of decals (not magnets because they are removable) is that, if your accountant does it correctly, your car can be considered a business expense and you can write off a lot of it (not all of it if you use it for personal stuff as well, but a big portion of it). It's something I recommend working with an accountant or other tax expert on because there are i's to dot and t's to cross but it will add value to the bottom line at the end of the year.

C3H19
02-03-2019, 05:29 PM
http://MyWorkingHour.com/?userid=627172

Bigdaddyssign
07-05-2019, 12:50 AM
Absolutely! they did because when it comes to popularizing a brand, then get in touch with suitable clients is a key and magnet/car signs can do that very efficiently. We too provide such services...

MarcusEralius
07-16-2019, 03:35 PM
You have to check out this new course on how to make your income BOOM from affiliate advertising as well as online marketing for your business. Just follow the link, this guy made it big and is earning a nice passive and stable income just by online advertising. His going with the name of John Crestani.

https://2f32c8koss6d25rcaqb19q4n91.hop.clickbank.net/?cbpage=sp

Catch you on the flip side.

AarushiAashi
10-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Vehicle magnets are easy to expel and fast to apply. With an attractive sign then again, you'll have the option to pull your illustrations off in a solitary movement. Reapplication comprises of getting over residue the outside of the magnet, and setting it back on the vehicle.

amayajace
10-17-2019, 04:04 AM
They will not do any damage to the car's paint. ... It is recommended to occasionally remove car magnets from the vehicle per our care instructions so the area has some sun exposure. Please do not apply your magnet over rust spots or flaky paint as this will reduce the power of the magnet.

Gwynnewer
10-30-2019, 05:46 AM
Sorry about magnets, but I can’t find something more suitable! I recently got concerned about repairing a garage door. I found the stigaragedoor.com (https://stigaragedoor.com/) service in Washington DC on the Internet and I wonder if anyone used their services?

DanielStone
12-12-2019, 03:31 PM
I still agree that car magnets are a good way to promote your business. On the road, I see many cars with inscriptions or logos of different companies. I think this is very good advertising and at minimum prices. I have a small business and I want to advertise myself with this method. I think it would be good if I put magnets on my car. But hurry where to buy these accessories. I found a website www.otopartshop.com (https://www.otopartshop.com/) about different accessories for different cars. Did anyone use it? Do they sell magnets?

AarushiAashi
12-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Hello there everybody! I am new here and am planning to learn tips for developing my "mother and pop" plumbing business that I claim with my better half.

lishmaliny
02-01-2020, 03:19 AM
Magnetic car signs work best on flat surfaces. As long as it is not placed upon a curved surface and you follow the magnetic care instructions, you should not have to worry about the magnet falling off.

Brownii
07-22-2020, 01:35 AM
It is quite interesting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car)!

jacksonsamy2
10-23-2020, 07:17 AM
It will stick to any flat vehicle surface made of metal. ... Please be aware that it will not work on fiberglass/plastic doors or areas of the vehicle which have had extensive body damage (corrected using Bondo or putty). Magnetic car signs work best on flat surfaces.

SuperPuper
11-09-2020, 10:08 PM
Hi there! Yes, if you want to put any type of advertising and personal signature of your own business - feel free to do it. I am a painter and I use a car sign on my truck. The problem was that after I removed my previous one, I got several scratches. Although, do not worry. You can read this (https://atfulldrive.com/best-car-scratch-remover) about the best scratch remover for car surfaces. Good luck!

Triman
12-07-2020, 01:59 PM
It would depend upon what type of car you are seeking to purchase (new or used), what you are seeking from the vehicle, why you need the vehicle, what you are planning on spending,etc. Use this blog about honda ridgeline (https://carbuzz.com/cars/honda/ridgeline) and I recommend to choose this one.

Nags
12-08-2020, 12:39 AM
Of course they work. But like all advertising, their efficacy is highly variable. The only way to get an idea as to whether or not they will work for you, is to give it a try. Best of luck!

master007
12-11-2020, 12:36 AM

master007
12-15-2020, 12:40 AM
But like all advertising, their efficacy is highly variable. The only way to get an idea as to whether or not they will work for you, is to give it a try.

Smithclrk
12-19-2020, 12:46 AM
Hi everyone! I am new here and am hoping to learn tips for growing my "mom and pop" plumbing business that I own with my husband.

I ordered business cards from Vista Print and noticed other items they have available. Something that interested me were car door magnets/signs. Does anyone utilize this form of advertising? If so, how effective is it? The magnets aren't that expensive, so I am thinking they are a good way to advertise "on the go." :)

Also, I was thinking about those vinyl lettering type at topvinylcutters.com (https://topvinylcutters.com) of signs that you peel off and put on your back car window. Those seem to cost a little more, but do you think they are worth the investment?

I am trying to take baby steps and build on our advertising and marketing so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You can get a bit of chance to heat it after it has been applied with a hairdryer, remove it and dissolve the transfer band a little further to smooth it out.

Another problem may be that your transfer tape is too heavy for vinyl. It's doubtful as it sounds like vinyl just isn't fine, but try a lighter tape if anything else fails.

And if anything else fails, you might try to put a transparent (such as mod podge) coat on tops to make the wood smoother, if the wood is bumpy and just not sticking uniformly. If you can't do anything else, you can do it. However I would recommend this as a last resort, because it would take time.

RaniaRanii3
01-01-2021, 11:29 PM
Attractive vehicle signs have been known to take off vehicles going at high paces. In the event that the magnet isn't safely joined to the vehicle at all edges, wind can get under the magnet, basically transforming it into a sail. This makes a danger of genuine obligation and peril out and about.

master007
01-01-2021, 11:39 PM
Of course they work. But like all advertising, their efficacy is highly variable. The only way to get an idea as to whether or not they will work for you, is to give it a try.

Kira666
01-28-2021, 07:48 AM
As a car owner I can say that all of these is really important. As for me, I prefer to drive safe and to own a pretty car. So, I am using different methods to protect the color.

swipka777
01-28-2021, 07:51 AM
Like all car lowers, I like to have a nice and clean car. Also, I am paying attention to different factors and currently using https://inkasdesign.com/paint-protection-film/ which is a perfect film that allows to protect the car from small damages and also to safe the color as well. Since I am living in Canada, I like their fast service and how fast they implemented all of these.

jayam12
02-17-2021, 08:49 AM
Magnetic vehicle signs have been known to fly off vehicles traveling at high speeds. If the magnet is not securely attached to the vehicle at all edges, wind can catch under the magnet, essentially turning it into a sail. This creates a risk of serious liability and hazard on the road.

mithu
02-17-2021, 08:54 AM
No. They will not do any damage to the car's paint. Car magnets will shield the paint beneath them from UV sun rays and fading. It is recommended to occasionally remove car magnets from the vehicle per our care instructions so the area has some sun exposure.

valluri
02-17-2021, 08:59 AM
Almost anything that uses a motor or electricity to operate is built with magnets. That means cars also have them. In fact, magnets can be found in multiple places other than the motor in some cars. Unlike traditional automobiles, electric cars are powered by electricity rather than gas, so they have no tank.

master007
04-03-2021, 01:44 PM
But like all advertising, their efficacy is highly variable. The only way to get an idea as to whether or not they will work for you, is to give it a try.

nadiasonii
04-06-2021, 01:12 AM
Yes, they are

Bigil
04-15-2021, 09:19 AM
If your car is just sitting the garage doing nothing, well then of course it won't work. But if you're always on the highway and probably stuck in traffic there is a really high chance of someone noticing it and may wanting to use the service.

Triman
05-20-2021, 10:37 AM
A car is certainly a good thing. And I think most people love and use them. I can advise you mitsubishi for sale (https://carbuzz.com/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi). The mitsubishi will get a new platform, engine, interior and exterior design and intends to fight the stereotype of rental cars with all its might. Its new 2.0-litre, 149 horsepower engine, updated infotainment system and eye-catching new design are pretty compelling. If you're interested in the subject matter, you'll find a full breakdown in the review.