PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a job with no experience in that field

janineaa
02-25-2014, 06:42 AM
What is good to say when you apply for a particular job but no specific experience in that field?

alec
02-25-2014, 11:46 AM
I don't really think there's a magic formula for this. You'll have to pass an interview or a practical exam where the employer will decide if you're hired or not despite the lack of experience in that field. Maybe the job you're applying for lets you acquire experience along the way and the employer is ok with that. But if specific experience is required and the job is not an entry level position I don't think words will be enough to get you hired.

You can still try applying, at least you'll get some experience in word spinning :D

delusional
02-25-2014, 12:11 PM
I think you will always end up not getting the job unless all the other candidates are far worse.
I wouldn't think about trying unless I knew nobody else would want the job.
It's better to take an entry level job in that field and build your way up than not getting a job at all.

adi004
02-25-2014, 12:34 PM
As long as you're willing to learn and they're willing to train you, i don't think that shouldn't be a problem...

SmartPea85
02-25-2014, 02:50 PM
As long as you're willing to learn and they're willing to train you, i don't think that shouldn't be a problem...

I agree with you!
I'm not sure how employers would feel about this stance, but as a worker, I know that I am diligent and intelligent enough to get training and be a competent worker in no time.
I think a simple tip is just to think about how your past work experiences could translate into the new field you don't have experience in. If you go into the interview with some different ideas on "experience", you will seem more open-minded, which is a good trait for being newly trained in something anyway. My degree is Elementary Education, and my past work experiences mostly include retail and drugstores. I recently needed more income (fast) so I interviewed at a coffee shop. I realize I have never worked selling pastries and coffee, nor do I have any food service experience. However, I do have extensive knowledge on customer service, working with others, solving problems, time efficiency, and keeping a tidy and organized work space. All jobs want employees who are honest, hard-working, and willing to be flexible and use their heads. As long as you have the right mindset and social skills, anything else technical about the job itself can be taught.

Mojibobo
02-25-2014, 03:06 PM
If you don't have any experience or qualifications for that field it will be harder to get a job in it, but if you find someone willing to train you and you're a dedicated learner there shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck :)

idlecuriosities
02-25-2014, 03:35 PM
It definitely depends on how competitive the field is. There's no reason for an employer to give the applicant with no experience in the field the position over an applicant who does all other things held equal. However, if the field isn't too competitive and you can demonstrate competence during the interview, it shouldn't be a problem.

DomDom
02-25-2014, 05:01 PM
You should try to learn about the job as much as you can and you must impress the employer. Show them you are willing to work very long and hard. Its nto easy but impressing the employer is the only way.

LindaKay
02-25-2014, 08:06 PM
You tell them how interested you are in learning about it. If you have done any volunteer work related to it or have done a lot of research about it, you should mention that. Also, just prove the basic stuff, such as that you're trustworthy and whatnot.

M.K
02-25-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm in this exact situation right now. The hardest thing for me was to fill my resume with semi-pertinent experience and not list irrelevant past jobs. List any education you have that could be of interest to your employer, any useful skill or knowledge like programming languages, etc. When it comes to the interview, no BS. Just tell them you're looking for somebody to give you that first opportunity. Tell them what you lack in experience you'll make up for in other qualities.

janineaa
02-26-2014, 06:30 AM
Thanks for all your insights! You all have points I could ponder on. I think yes, it is true that if I want to enter a field with no experience, it is best to start at an entry-level position and then work my way up. But then some employers are picky wherein they want fresh graduates and not employees who have had experience in other fields, because they say that it is harder to be open-minded if someone is older. But I guess it depends on the applicant. Well I should just try in my case. I know I would acquire experience and knowledge along the way.

CSomm
02-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Experience isn't everything when it comes to snagging a job, but you need to be an amazing self salesman, and I mean AMAZING. You naturally have more hurdles to overcome, and you don't speak the language of the job, and you can't tell them about your best and worst experiences in the field, etc. You have to fill all of those gaps with your mere presence, and that is difficult even for the most confident person. I've done some interviews like that in the past, and I've never met anyone who really measures up---they don't know what they are measuring themselves against!

crucider
02-28-2014, 08:40 PM
All I can say is good luck, I would try to get something that'll make you stand out to the rest of the people applying to the job. If it's a computer related job then try learning Excel, it's definitely a good thing to know and will definitely help you climb up the ranks. Another would try learning a programming language, try a scripting language like Python. It'll be nice to have someone write scripts for repetitive tasks.

cpefley
02-28-2014, 09:43 PM
I think that it great advice. Entry-level jobs and volunteer positions are great way to gain experience. Sometimes there are employers that are willing to train the right person too.

rahulsinha
03-01-2014, 02:46 AM
While applying for a job, creating a positive impression on the employers is extremely important. For this, the resume of the job seeker needs to be very impressive and appealing. It is therefore advised that expert services are availed for the purpose of creating resumes. The internet is an ideal source of such service providers.The resume writing services available online is simply very professional and they would guarantee the shortlisting of the resumes. The professionals have years of experience in the field of human resource management and are well versed with the latest trends in the market. They are sure to bring success to the job seekers by impresser the recruiters.For more information please visit us:headhonchos.com

mikelouis
03-01-2014, 02:50 AM
Not a great Idea as it should be indicated on your CV. Unless you are just fresh from college, then it might be possible but remember you must have gone through internships before graduating.

Taru
03-01-2014, 10:22 AM
I think businesses are generally accepting of people without experience in their particular field given that the person applying for the job is willing to learn. If you are somehow able to show that you are there for more than just the paycheck, then you already have an edge over the average applicant, in my opinion. It's also good to show confidence that you will be able to learn relatively quickly and also it would be helpful if you've done some research on their particular industry enough to show that you know what you're getting yourself into.

autograph
03-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Definitely not impossible, but it would surely be harder to get the job. Depending on the nature of the job application, if it is online based, your CV would have higher chance being thrown into the bin as you do not meet their minimal requirements. You might not even pass their test in order to qualify for the job. Corporates would be less likely to spend time to teach somebody with zero knowledge in the field; they would need you to at least have a basic experience before considering you for interview. If you somehow managed to get an interview, you should ensure that you emphasis on how much you are willing to learn in this new field. Good luck.

wander_n_wonder
03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Well, you need to express first and foremost why you are particularly interested in that field. This is good to say because then at least they will not think that you are applying for an industry where you don't have experience because you don't know your personal skills or you are simply just shopping around for work. You need to state a firm reason as to why you would like to develop your career in that direction and what you are willing to do to ensure you will succeed there.

DomDom
03-07-2014, 03:19 PM
I think that it great advice. Entry-level jobs and volunteer positions are great way to gain experience. Sometimes there are employers that are willing to train the right person too.

I agree about volounteering! It can really get you places :)

sofieb529
03-07-2014, 04:05 PM
It really depends on the job. Certain jobs can be learned and work ethic is the most important quality anyways. Also some companies need you to have the experience and background because they simply do not have time to train in every aspect. Who wouldn't want an employee that comes ready-made?
I would always still try for the job because you just never know when someone is willing to take a chance on you.

cpefley
03-07-2014, 07:01 PM
What is good to say when you apply for a particular job but no specific experience in that field?

I hope that the employer is willing to train. If not, it is going to be very difficult landing a job that isn't an entry level position, if you don't have experience in the field. I definitely wouldn't lie, and be open and honest with the employer. You'll can get fired if you lie and they find out later.

owesem75
03-09-2014, 07:17 AM
If you are not sure about what you are doing, it is best not to waste your time and the recruiter's time. BUT if you are really interested in getting the job and despite the lack of practical experience you are willing to be trained, you can do advance research and learn about the field you are pursuing before the actual interview or practical test. Sometimes, there are employers who look at personality, work attitude and familiarity with the field (not necessarily experience) because sometimes, those who are already experience tend to hike their asking salary but cannot actually deliver. Good luck to you.

mizzperdue
03-09-2014, 01:03 PM
I would just let the employer know that "I have no experience in this field" but I'm interesting in a position with your company. I believe in telling the truth because you don't want to lie. I have been in the same boat with a position I had no experience in. I told the employer "How can I get the experience If your not trying to hire me". I felt bad but I did get hired months later because of who I knew.

jfab
03-10-2014, 03:13 AM
You will have to prove you're capable by passing the exam. And then you have to show them you are trainable. It's hard for you to get hired if you don't have a teachable heart.

difrancprod
03-10-2014, 03:44 AM
You can always start as an entry level employee. But yes, you must passed their given exams first because that will prove your efficiency and skills to the task that will be given. Companies are not that strict if you are trainable indeed.