PDA

View Full Version : Should you always do a criminal background check when hiring an employee?

earthmama1
02-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Lets admit it we all have those people we interview and think they are simply the best and cant wait to have them start working for your company. When this happens do you feel like even if you love them that you should still go thru the process of background check? Sometimes some people are so obvious that you dont need to or some that you do.

delusional
02-25-2014, 12:15 PM
I believe you should. It's better than seeing things come up later on. You can always decide after seeing the records if you are going to hire him/her or not.

DomDom
02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Ofcourse you should if the position is with responsibilities. It isnt very smart to hire someone with history full of thievery in my opinion.

LindaKay
02-25-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm on the fence with this. Part of me knows that some of the people who I know personally who have spotless records are far from trustworthy while a couple I know who have been in trouble in the past do their best to "behave" nowadays. But, part of me feels like it's risky not to do a background check. I suppose it would depend on the position.

mameeker@cuse
02-27-2014, 06:50 PM
I believe you should, just as you should ask the employee first if anything will show up. If something does show up make sure to ask the potential employee to explain the situation. You never know the exact circumstances.

Taru
02-28-2014, 02:25 AM
Yes, you definitely should. I don't know how it works in other areas, but here, employees vying for a job have to get police clearance and you can at least just start from there and just research further if you are planning on hiring him or her. However, I would still try not to write off a person who has a criminal record even if I did find some spotty things in his or her past, and I would rather just assess the situation per individual. I admit that I will have some bias but I will at least try to hear the person out and try to help them further if I eventually decide against hiring them.

CSomm
02-28-2014, 05:52 PM
A background check is fair game, always. Some people look great because they are smarter than you and running game on you, and you should always be willing to believe that there is someone out there who is capable of more amazing deception than you could ever handle. That being said, a background check doesn't need to be a consistent reason for you to not hire someone---sometimes people with a record are your most loyal employees, because they have a lot more to lose than a job if they become unemployed by you. Be smart and be careful!

crucider
02-28-2014, 08:42 PM
I believe employee's that you are applying should get a background check. It's only fair, plus that way it'll be more on the safer side than having to regret employing him later down the road. It's better safe than sorry, and definitely worth not having to worry with a guy. Plus, wouldn't you want to know that you just employed a guy who attempted murder? I sure would.

danderson239
02-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Absolutely. Your job in the hiring process is to screen out risks to your company. Running a background check is a vital tool used to determine if a candidate has been convicted of any job-related offenses. Would you hire a bank teller without running a background check to see if he/she laundered money before? You should use every tool at your disposal to limit the risks to your company, including background checks.

Jessi
02-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Realistically, yes, you should. It doesn't mean you can't still hire them if something pops up on their record, of course, but you SHOULD be aware. And it will show a lot about a person if they didn't disclose things in their past that might be relevant to them hiring you.

cpefley
02-28-2014, 11:51 PM
I think that background checks are only pertinent with the nature of certain jobs. I think for a fast food employee, I don't think having a background check is necessary. However, being a teller at a bank obviously has more responsibility, and I think that a background check is a good idea.

janineaa
03-01-2014, 12:29 PM
It's ideal to have a criminal background check on the person you are planning to hire for everyone's sake. For the hiring process, it's a requirement for applicants to submit and show their clearance record that they haven't committed anything against the law. In case they do have a record, it's good not to be judgmental about it. They might become a prized possession if you let them in the company. It's best to be smart about every decision!

Chia
03-02-2014, 02:40 AM
Background checks are a always a good idea. You should know what you are getting yourself into. If something does pop up it is important not to be too judgmental though. That person could be completely different than they were when they messed up. I would look at the severity of the crimes and check the dates and make the best decision for your company. Most of the time there is never anything too serious that will restrain you from hiring them.

caveman
03-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Even though background checks are a good idea, I feel that I should also give the same opportunity. Everyone makes mistakes and if I feel like the person has really changed or can see his/her dedications, then I would probably still hire him/her regardless. I think everyone deserves a second chance.

03-02-2014, 04:12 PM
I would say yes but I would also say to always be prepared to talk about anything that may come up in that check. Sometimes people do change. On top of that the law is far from infallible and sometimes people are charged with horrible crimes for doing things seemingly innocent.

daleo717
03-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Yes you should always do a criminal record check on everyone before you hire them. Remember con artists and dishonest people are masters at giving a good impression and at lying. It is better to be safe than sorry. I worked for a company where the boss would interview people and be impressed by them and he would never do any checking on their background. Not only did he not do a criminal record check but he never checked references on anyone. He thought everyone was as honest as he was.

Yes you may end up hiring a good person if you are lucky, but what if you hire a criminal like my ex-boss did. This man he hired seemed impressive and told him he would make him a lot of money over the coming year. Well my excited boss soon found out the hard way that he was dealing with an experienced con man.

This man stole cash sales from my boss and also tried to extort money from him when he tried to dismiss him for stealing money. Finally I talked him into calling the police and they did a criminal record check on this man--and boy what a record he had. The police constable warned my boss that in the future he should always do a criminal record check on anyone and everyone he decides to hire. Especially if money and credit cards are used in the company. And lets face it most companies use money and credit cards. Be smart and do a criminal record check. The police department highly recommends doing criminal record checks on potential new staff and that should be a good measuring stick for you to so.

gadgetised
03-04-2014, 09:45 PM
If you have access to the resources to do so then I would recommend it. You never know what will come up. I would also do a quick google and social media search.

crimsonghost747
03-05-2014, 02:36 AM
If you think a criminal background check is necessary for the position then you do it with every candidate. Simple as that, why would you make an exception just based on an interview?

mikelouis
03-05-2014, 03:47 AM
That is a must if you want to employ a trustworthy person. It is important that you get to know the person before entrusting your business to him or her.

wander_n_wonder
03-06-2014, 08:24 PM
I think doing a criminal check as part of a recruitment routine would make it fair for everyone. In other words, you are doing it not because you are judging one person to look like a criminal. Sometimes, your impression of a candidate may be wrong and it's not nice to be obvious that you suspected a person of something negative. Therefore, for the purpose of equality and being fair to candidates, just put criminal check as part of your routine in recruitment.

Mafdet
03-07-2014, 09:36 AM
I think the question is: would you hire someone with criminal background? Not all crimes are relevant to the position you have open. If you have a store and wish to hire a sales person, of course you don't want to hire someone who was previously convicted for stealing. However, that conviction should not prevent him from being hired anywhere.

DomDom
03-07-2014, 03:17 PM
I think the question is: would you hire someone with criminal background? Not all crimes are relevant to the position you have open. If you have a store and wish to hire a sales person, of course you don't want to hire someone who was previously convicted for stealing. However, that conviction should not prevent him from being hired anywhere.

It depends on the position I think. I dont want somebody who has alot of problems with crime to be in sales for example because he can scare away customers.

sofieb529
03-07-2014, 03:54 PM
I have not had a criminal background check done yet on any potential employee. I hire seasonal or one-time employees and am in a situation where I am always close to the cash. I work food events. If I need an errand run, I just do it. However as I am thinking of doing a string of events I will be planning on making the effort to go and get this check done--I mean its worth it for the peace of mind, i think.

CeliVega
03-07-2014, 07:33 PM
I think it depends on the nature of the job. I mean, it's actually very inconvenient if you are hiring a lot of people at once. Let say you are looking for extras for a movie, or people to get involved with cleaning and rebuilding an abandoned house, or just some tasks that require a lot of manpower. Would you go through a thorough check on each of them? I mean sure, some simple background check is okay, but going through a detailed research on whether he or she have a criminal record is going to cost you a lot of time. I would say it's better if you only do that when your job requires only one person or a small handful of candidates that actually handle something very important in whatever business you are doing.

SteakTartare
03-07-2014, 07:55 PM
With the exception of someone hired for very short term (e.g., measured in days) temp work, absolutely you need to run a criminal check. You simply cannot be too careful these days with this sort of thing. With the company I am with, before we hire or partner with anyone, we always run a background check. Considering it costs very little and it could potentially head off a serious problem, I don't see why one wouldn't.

Gmac9100
03-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Yes. I believe you should always do a criminal check on employees because it is the best way to get a feel for the character of the person you are hiring. people lie a lot on applications, and criminal checks are the best way to catch them. You business is your well being, and you need to take as many precautions as possible.

Zkivanova
12-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Who said a full criminal background check will cost you a lot of time? I do it online on background-intel.com and it takes 24 hours. They also offer deals for more than 1 person. I am not saying I would do it if I need someone to clean my garden and they wonít have access to the house for example but if I need few people for my agency I will definitely run a background check. I almost hired a racist with multiple offenses for tour guide. I donít even want to think how this could go wrong on so many levels.

jackanderson42
02-08-2018, 03:54 AM
Absolutely. Your job in the hiring process is to screen out risks to your company.

Astrorushi
03-28-2018, 12:46 AM
After you check the person record full.Then you need to hire the employee.

Group-Management-Services
03-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Hi earthmama1, we saw your post and think this blog post can help. Hopefully it can answer some of your questions. https://www.groupmgmt.com/blog/post/2018/10/19/Background-Checks-What-Small-Business-Owners-Need-to-Consider.aspx?utm_source=small%20business%20forum&utm_medium=referral

SamuelKennedy
04-17-2020, 01:59 AM
Yes, Always.
And I am sure most companies also check the criminal background of employee before hiring them.

Martiniwiz
06-16-2020, 05:13 PM
Hello EarthMama! Besides a background check, it is important to know whether or not they are healthy to return back to work as well. Check this platform out, and let me know what you think. Swiff is a start-up application that's main focus is assisting people and companies to get back to work efficiently post-COVID-19. The application offers screening, wellness, and tracking tools, the three things any company needs to get back to work. The objective is to get people back to work as safe and as efficient as possible. https://www.swiffdev.com/

stevealex000
07-07-2020, 06:43 AM
yes, of course, you should check each and everything before hiring a person. It isn't very smartly to hire someone with history full of thievery

katietalbot1
07-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Well, this might be true with some lucky souls, but most of the students get headaches with these tasks, and they prefer taking economics assignment help (https://www.crazyforstudy.com/au/writing/economics-assignment-help). it is essential, amidst all chaos of classes, submissions, exams, assignments, etc. that the students submit their assignments on time, and expert microeconomics assignment help (https://www.crazyforstudy.com/au/writing/macroeconomics-assignment-help) providers allow them to do that without much worry and hassle.

raviseo121
01-09-2021, 10:47 AM
thanks for sharing with us

alishbasaki
02-01-2021, 11:10 PM
It's pivotal to run a work record verification on everybody you employ. As a component of the pre-business screening measure, they can help affirm that you're settling on a shrewd employing choice before you begin onboarding.

Vancouverwe34
02-24-2021, 04:43 PM
Toward the beginning of the lockdowns back in March, there is no compelling reason to peruse for items you will conceivably purchase since you definitely understand what you need and need. You simply need to inquire as to if they offer Weed delivery Vancouver (https://cannascore.net/weed-delivery-vancouver/), send in your order and wait for it to arrive right at your doorstep.

lishmaliny
03-09-2021, 07:14 AM
The background check is often a final step taken by employers to help ensure a sound hiring decision and protect the employer from a number of potential risks. For many employers, a background check is a reliable way of verifying claims made by job seekers during the hiring process.

DwiuexHatedeu
06-22-2021, 01:24 PM
All self-respecting companies check their employees before hiring them. I'm not just talking about executive positions but also about ordinary employees. I also read here https://www.sterlingcheck.co.uk/blog/2019/07/what-is-bpss-essentials-baseline-personnel-security-standard/ that companies are required to conduct such checks for the purposes of UK national security. The audit also helps to make an informed decision and protect the company from possible problems with the law due to new employees. Or to prevent the possibility of information leakage.

rattanhospital
06-22-2021, 10:34 PM

homeocareclinics
06-23-2021, 03:38 PM
Thanks for sharing with us

boodysculp
06-23-2021, 03:49 PM

maestro11
06-23-2021, 03:54 PM

raviseo121
06-24-2021, 11:41 PM

master007
06-26-2021, 09:58 AM
I believe you should. It's better than seeing things come up later on. You can always decide after seeing the records if you are going to hire him/her or not.