PDA

View Full Version : Should you google someone you are considering to hire?

earthmama1
02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Sometimes it really doesnt matter what people do in their personal time because they leave it at home. In some cases you get the people who bring it all to work with them. Should you always google someone and see if they have anything you would red flag before you hire or just give them a shot?

delusional
02-25-2014, 12:14 PM
I always do. I don't think it is wrong. It's the best way to tell what kind of person someone is. People also look people up on Facebook just for fun and that's not different.

CeliVega
02-25-2014, 11:47 PM
It's actually one of the ways to determine if someone is qualified or suitable for the job. I mean, if you are looking for someone who is responsible, no-nonsense, can perform numerous tasks with great concentration, and is not someone who will be hurting the company, checking their background seems reasonable. You find nothing about him or her, great! That's actually means he or she is smart and cautious enough to not post anything that has to do with their privacy, and people like this don't usually leak info about what they do or what their company do. If you got someone who can't seem to stop talking about their work or lives on social sites, would you feel safe leaving important tasks to them?

Rainman
02-26-2014, 04:45 AM
How sure are you you'll find the person on Google. Take me as an example. My online identity is entirely different from my real identity in real life. If someone tries to search for my info orindiscretions on the net they'd never find any because I use different names. So, IMO, trying to use Google to find out everything about a potential employee may not provide the results you seek.

alec
02-26-2014, 05:50 AM
These days most employers do so but like Rainman above said, it's not a method that gives consistent results. Personally, I don't think such searches reveal much about the skills of a potential employee. I prefer interviews and practical tests instead of quick online searches. Seeing some pictures with the candidate drinking in a bar helps my business how? I know quite a few people that drink a lot and party hard in the weekends but are top employees during the work week. And these people are the ones that don't get the job even if they'll make fantastic employees, just because someone decided they're not serious based on online searches.

mameeker@cuse
02-27-2014, 06:49 PM
It is something that you may do if you want, but I would suggest not basing a person's character off something you read on the internet.

JohnSword
02-27-2014, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't google someone I'm considering to hire. It just doesn't sit well with me. For me, I draw a clear line between a person's personal life and work ethics. Furthermore, I don't think you would obtain much results from googling a person. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.

All in all, asking the right interview questions should be more than enough for you to determine whether or not to hire that person.

Taru
02-28-2014, 02:14 AM
I don't know if you should, but I definitely would. Like I have said in a few posts in this forum, as a business owner, you need to take advantage where you can get it as long as it's all within the legal boundaries. Since these tools are available to us now, I think it would be a shame not to use them. I'd do this especially if my company were one that's often seen by the public, and hiring someone who is of questionable status might prove to be detrimental.

eppie
02-28-2014, 06:29 AM
This topic reminded me of a friend who is a human resource staff in one of the biggest call center here in our country. She told me that they are actually looking into the applicant's Facebook page to see the "character" of the person and they once saw an applicant bad mouthing her former employer on social media and guess what - they immediately took her file off the pile they're considering to hire.

And to answer the question... Yes I would google an applicant and check his social media pages, because an applicant can "mask" his/her true character on his/her resume or during an interview but his/her true colors will definitely show in social media. Just my opinion though... =)

mikelouis
02-28-2014, 07:01 AM
That is why we have a CV to make sure that the employee presents his or her work history. It is better to focus on the professional life than the personal life. If you start checking out their personal life, you might be disappointed and also employees will resist such a move.

Mafdet
02-28-2014, 09:31 AM
I see nothing wrong in trying to know the background of a person before starting a business relationship. In the public sector this is even mandatory. There is only so much you can learn about somebody during a 30 minutes - one hour interview. Also, a C.V. is just a piece of paper.

Gmac9100
02-28-2014, 09:42 AM
My first thought was no. That would be an immoral invasion of privacy, but the more i think about it. I can't find a valid reason why an employer shouldn't search an employee on Google. Searching someone on Google isn't a credit check. It is just a general inquiry. That anyone with a phone, or computer can do. It is not a violation of privacy at all. It's actually very clever.

wander_n_wonder
02-28-2014, 03:22 PM
I do not see anything wrong with that. You can really find some good information through Google about your candidate. However, I would not rely on what I find out there heavily. First of all, not all of that may be correct. Second, you need to understand the context of the situation better before you give any judgment about a person based on what you see online.

autograph
02-28-2014, 03:46 PM
I believe the result of googling someone should not be the only thing you do for background check. The results might be questionable as well; it is really hard to determine the quality of a candidate based on this online snooping. However, if numerous hits to bad reputations came up when I googled a candidate, it is safe to say that I will move on to another candidates. It works both ways, if there are publications or any other positive things associated with the candidate when I searched him/her via google, the person will have a bigger chance to receive the job offer.

danderson239
03-01-2014, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't, especially for making a hiring decision. Let's say you look at a Facebook profile. You've now seen the following protected information: religion, race, national origin, sex, marital status, possible medical issues, etc. If you decide not to hire someone, and they sue for discrimination, you've just made your defense case pretty tricky. Respect your employees' personal life from hire to retire. If interviews, references and background checks are good, what more are you looking for?

delusional
03-01-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm in the process of hiring 15 new people and I have noticed I do Google them. Just to get a basic idea of who I'm dealing with. It helps to get an idea of the person and his/her background.

CSomm
03-01-2014, 04:19 PM
You absolutely should, but don't expect anything or make snap judgements. It's foolish to not access information about a person that has been made freely available by that person, and you can get a solid feel for that person based on what they're willing to put online. That, to some extent, is the real person, and not just the person you met in the interview.

Eagles910
03-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Yes. An employer should definitely search potential employees on Google. I sure that they do criminal history checks, so why not do a Google search. It is perfectly legal. Maybe the employer discovers some valuable information that will help in he hiring decision. I don't know what sort of information you would find in a Google search, that isn't already in the employees criminal history report.

basmae
03-01-2014, 09:14 PM
I definitely think that you should google someone before hiring. The internet is an open book and you can find out a lot about a person though it. I personally know of some large companies that Google potential employees and check their Facebook profiles.

cassylexandra
03-01-2014, 11:13 PM
I agree with Delusional. Looking up someone on Facebook is really no different than google-ing them, despite having different motives. Especially the sidebar at the right that displays what all your friends are doing, makes people on facebook stalkers... Anyway, yes, it shows who they really are, and I think personal matters could show their personality.

SimplySidy
03-02-2014, 01:15 AM
Well, in todays world, you should go for the Googling and maybe have a look on the profile of the Candidate on Fb and Twitter too. Agreed that these are just not the perfect way to ascertain any individual, but still, you come to know a lot about the candidate. During my last Recruiting Post, I did a twitter check on a list of the final shortllisted 3 people and had to reject one just because the languages used on twitter were abusive and the job opening was for Customer Care and Support. So I would certainly vouch viewing the candidates Profiles on the Internet.

Eagles910
03-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Exactly. The more i think about it the more i like the idea of searching a potential employee online. It is not an invasion of privacy because it is public information. People should definitely watch what they put online. It can really come back haunt you. Employers have every right to search employees online.

janineaa
03-05-2014, 08:45 AM
I think it's okay to google someone you are about to hire because social media says a lot of their personal life. If a candidate is young, it's probably already expected you'll see a lot of partying and being everywhere. Will it make a difference if you see crazy posts? Since the resume and how they conduct themselves in the interview is the most important anyway.

caveman
03-05-2014, 11:23 AM
I don't google somebody for the same reason that I don't want to be googled. We have all done something in the past that we might regret or something and I think that personal and business life should be separated. Plus I don't want to judge anyone unless they do something in the first place. As long as they bring their 'A' game to work, I honestly don't care how or what they do outside.

ursell
03-27-2014, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't google a person that I'm thinking about hiring. I agree with the person who said that you wouldn't
find everything you need to know about a person by google them nor will whatever you do find on a person
it wouldn't tell you if they are a good employee or not. So no I wouldn't google a future employee.

SteakTartare
03-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Why would you not Google someone you were considering hiring? There is a treasure trove of information on an individual with a few keystrokes. Granted, I wouldn't necessarily base the decision on that, unless something spectacularly bad came up, but its still good to know.

owesem75
03-28-2014, 05:11 PM
The google offers a lot of information and nobody is preventing you to google someone you are considering to hire. Just be careful though as google can offer so many SEARCH HITS and you may end up looking at someone else's information and not the person you are supposed to google with. That's embarrassing.

Jane Hastings
03-30-2014, 09:48 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. But the thing is you're never sure if these people are the same online and offline. There are some people who pretend to be someone they're not online. People now though are smart and they know that the companies they applied to will most likely google them so they make their social networks private ans stuff like that. But it's actually fun searching someone online.

ElvisPresley
03-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Nowadays it's hard to escape a bad reputation on the Internet. I'd probably Google someone, but as I said in another thread, I wouldn't check out their Facebook account. By doing a quick search on Google you can find out if they've done any scams, etc.

Danedison
03-31-2014, 01:24 AM
Hi.........
My first thought was no. That would be an immoral invasion of privacy, but the more i think about it.

Skroozey
03-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Yes, I think you should. It only takes a minute and who knows what you can find. Have they been in any local newspapers for issues that may bring disrepute to your company? You need to know this information. For instance, if they were in trouble with the police they may not declare it on their CV, but local media may have reported it.

However when it comes to Facebook etc, don't judge them too much. It's always easy to judge a book by its cover... If they like to go out and party now and then, but it doesn't affect their work performance, there shouldn't be an issue there. Although the lines of our personal and work lives often cross over, we have to be careful not to pre judge. Otherwise, you might be missing out on a great employee.

loraanna
03-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Always, you have to know who you're dealing with. At least you will have some information before you open your business up to someone else.
I treat my business like my baby and I jsut do not want to open it up to just anyone.

Raven Mendy
12-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I do it. I always take help from Google if I need someone information like- email, contact no, address and business phone as well.

littleHR
03-28-2016, 08:11 PM
You should get as much information on a candidate as you can prior to giving an offer for a position. That means searching Google and all of the social media platforms. You should balance this information, though, against all of the information you have as you attempt to put all the puzzle pieces together. The more information you can gather, the clearer the picture will be at the end. As a potential employer, what types of things are you looking for? Well, does this person have a life outside of work? Does it seem well-balanced? Or is it too extreme and excessive? Does this candidate make good decisions?

ioenter
03-28-2016, 11:48 PM
If you're not looking through the candidate's social media profiles, you could be missing a key way to find out more about the individual as a person and an employee.
You should always search an interviewee's social media sites, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Why? Because how that person behaves on social media is a good indication of what kind of person the individual is and how your prospect might fit into your company's culture.

Christine Andola
04-18-2016, 10:36 AM
It is important to get as much information about a potential new hire as possible. A couple other factors to consider are: when do you do this type of research, who do you share the information with, and how do you interpret it?

What is more important is having an organized hiring process in place and documented before you begin. This will save you time and money!

GabbyS2016
05-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Absolutely. If a person chooses to publish their information online for everyone to see, why not take a quick peek at the info they've published? I like to see how a person represents themselves online, because it will show me how they'll represent my company.

donswift90
05-31-2016, 06:53 AM
No, I wouldn't google someone to hire.

ronniewill
06-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Well why don't you try LinkedIn (social media platform) for this purpose. From there, you will get a lot of candidates for your company.

wojtekf
06-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Yes,
This can be helpful but you can not hang this information for 100 percent.
It gives a better chance to hire the right person.

andrewclarkson
11-22-2016, 03:19 PM
I would say, yes - sometimes it can even serve as a positive thing e.g. how to make the person feel comfortable, getting a general idea of their interests etc.

Zkivanova
12-07-2017, 06:02 AM
Yes, you should definitely google the person and check their social media. But this for me is just the first step to filter the candidates per say. And then when I like someone and consider hiring, I will run background check on them. I don’t believe only one of them is enough especially if it is for responsible job.
Few months ago I learned my lesson when I was looking to hire someone to help me with my travel agency - my first employee (it was a big deal for me). I really liked one guy, two interviews - he was perfect. No red flag, no nothing but friends of mine who work in the security field suggested I should still check him before I hire him and so I did. I went on his FB page, at first it looked all good until I saw some old posts and troubling comments. Then I went one step further and I did background check at background-intel.com and I found out he had multiple offenses. No need to say I ended up hiring someone else.

Simi
04-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Well, I would not do that. But some part of me wanna do it. I'm that type of person who wanna get on well with employee as well as be friend with them. So, understanding them is necessary for me. :3 Checking some social networks to prevent external factors. :D

The Boss Life
08-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Beyond the basic Google search, your social media accounts are prime sources of background information.

According to CareerBuilder, 70% of employers in 2017 screened candidates on social media prior to making a hiring decision.

dpkmlm
08-04-2018, 05:11 AM
it work sometime but sometime not..

William_Lawrence
09-03-2018, 04:42 AM
It is upto you. During interview we can judge the person how he/she is. Social media doesn't recgonize the people .It is one media through different peoples can interact with each other.

Group-Management-Services
03-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Hello, we came across this post and think we can help answer some questions. Take a look at this blog post about what to look for in a potential employee's social posts. https://www.groupmgmt.com/blog/post/2016/02/23/What-to-Look-for-in-a-Potential-Employees-Social-Media-Profiles.aspx?utm_source=small%20business%20forum&utm_medium=referral

Brownii
07-07-2020, 02:40 PM
I think this is wrong to google a person you are going to hire. Personal life is our personal life and our colleagues are not necessarily should know it. When I am looking for az jobs (https://valleyofthesunjobs.com/), I want to be sure that my private social media pages are hidden and nobody will see me because I am another person with my friends.