PDA

View Full Version : "Soft launch" without advertising

Jessi
02-25-2014, 06:30 PM
My mom is launching her first brick and mortar business in the town she currently lives in. I'm not totally convinced that it's a shop that's going to do well with the local demographic and I think she needs to go "all in" if she's going to do this. As in, I think she needs to give it all she's got and put all her efforts into this in order to try to make it succeed.

Her business partner, however, wants to do a "soft launch" instead, though. He doesn't want to put money into advertising and would prefer to simply let word of mouth spread and see how it goes first. I feel like this is a big risk and could potentially waste the first couple months of rent/utilities/costs/etc by not having many customers even know about the place.

Has anyone here at success opening a business without any real advertising in the beginning?

Lithium
02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
My father couldn't succeed without advertising. It's a very effective way of making your business well known. I don't think the 'moth to mouth' advertising method is usable anymore.

M.K
02-26-2014, 01:03 PM
If it's a small town, word of mouth could work quite well. Otherwise, I'd consider investing money in more tried and true methods of marketing. Sometimes, the fact that a business is "new" can draw customers. I think she should consider capitalizing on that by going all in from the start.

foduu1
02-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Whether it's a compact village, referral marketing could do the job quite nicely. Or else, I had think about committing profit more tried and tested ways of advertising and marketing. Sometimes, the belief that an enterprise is "new" may attract consumers. I believe your woman should consider capitalizing on which by means of going just about all in before it starts.

angelicagapit
02-27-2014, 06:51 AM
My family and I started up our cafe with no marketing whatsoever. Sales, at first, we very slow and only later on did people become more aware of our business. We didn't start off so strong, but now we're pretty stable, so I guess there's no need to look at how weak we were in the past. What's important is taking what we learned from our mistakes and turning them into strengths.

I definitely suggest doing marketing during your soft launch. It could help you improve more if you serve more first-time customers.

pahagwl
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
I think its a good idea doing a soft launch for a business before investing into advertising. Its due to the fact that it will show whether the general populace like the idea or not. If the response for the soft launch is not good, you could always innovate and look for solutions to the problems the prospective customers might have.

Jessi
02-27-2014, 05:57 PM
My family and I started up our cafe with no marketing whatsoever. Sales, at first, we very slow and only later on did people become more aware of our business. We didn't start off so strong, but now we're pretty stable, so I guess there's no need to look at how weak we were in the past. What's important is taking what we learned from our mistakes and turning them into strengths.

Do you think the cafe would be doing better now had it started off with more advertising, though? What I mean is....it was rocky to start, but now it's stable. Do you think that had you started off strong, that it would've been stable sooner and then potentially way more active and profitable by now?

delusional
02-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Advertisement doesn't have to cost a lot. Ask her for a $50 budget and print small flyers, give out samples, put up signs, ...

It doesn't take much to get the first people coming in and spreading the word.

eppie
02-28-2014, 06:46 AM
Her business partner, however, wants to do a "soft launch" instead, though. He doesn't want to put money into advertising and would prefer to simply let word of mouth spread and see how it goes first.

The idea of a "soft launch" is to start your business to a limited or select audience only like your relatives or group of friends. So technically you really don't have to spend much for advertising, "word of mouth" is enough just like what your mom's business partner said.

As far as I know the main purpose of a soft launch is to try operating the business and see if the process will work or run smoothly so as to fully prepare the business and get ready for the big formal launching. :)

CSomm
03-01-2014, 04:31 PM
A soft launch is always a good idea. You can work out the kinks of the business, and build to the "grand opening". Be sure to get the mayor in on this event---mayors love a good ribbon cutting---and you can get the local media to cover it pretty easily. Stretch out what it means to "be open", and you can get a lot of mileage out of the buzz you generate. Just be diligent with your free advertising avenues, and always get in touch with every local media outlet that might be willing to cover you. Most of them will---it IS news, and it is easy to cover, since you'll be doing all of the work for them.

mameeker@cuse
03-01-2014, 05:40 PM
I would suggest advertising in the local newspaper, it is cost efficient and a good way to reach a wide demographic across your city.

janineaa
03-01-2014, 08:18 PM
My mum opened up a hair salon and had a soft opening without much marketing beforehand. There was music and a lot of decorations for a party so people were curious to know what the new establishment. I think it's better to invest in marketing and advertising beforehand, so people in the area know what's going to happen. For my mum, it would probably have been best to send out flyers and set up posters and things like that.

Lithium
03-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Actually, a soft launch seems good for a local business. If you have a cake store, you can start by giving free cakes for an entire day!

qooeilsa
06-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Who else is using NANO? I would like to know if anybody tried to upgrade it? It would be very helpful if someone could tell me the whole procedure in detail. I am using providers for area code 0151 (https://dialcodes.co.uk/areacodes/0151). We can communicate in real life if you are based in my area. Or maybe you know some communities that contain related information. Please let me know if you can suggest additional resources.

valluri
06-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Two to three months are believed by some developers to be the optimal length of a soft launch. But in reality, it can be both shorter or longer

jayam
06-28-2020, 10:29 PM
Soft launch is a period of time prior to global launch when your game is available in a couple of countries. Soft launch allows you to collect data, identify bugs, and gather player feedback. ... From there, make a decision whether or not to kill the game.

brookeroberts7
06-30-2020, 12:32 AM
Two to three months are believed by some developers to be the optimal length of a soft launch. But in reality, it can be both shorter or longer

Wepsychic3
07-04-2020, 05:21 AM
What is a soft launch and how does it differ from a hard launch? ... the app without ads, e.g. as a result of good ASO or even word of mouth.

jayam
08-06-2020, 01:39 AM
oft Launch Checklist. Do market research to identify your app's target audience and its size. Know your budget. Know the soft launch location. Try to keep the soft launch short, ideally between 3 and 4 weeks. Include only the basic functionality. Make sure that the app servers are powerful enough.

valluri
08-06-2020, 01:52 AM
Beta test your product. Start by releasing a beta or a minimum viable version of your product. ...
Build your crew. Your next step would be to identify a group of active users who could be your product ambassadors among the communities you're trying to target. ...
You're invited.

Geethan
12-15-2020, 12:03 AM
A soft launch refers to the common strategy of releasing a product ahead of its scheduled launch with little or no marketing push. Unlike full launches, soft launches are usually planned as “rehearsals” for a full launch, and let developers simulate real-world interactions with their app.

jayam12
12-16-2020, 06:10 AM
A soft launch refers to the common strategy of releasing a product ahead of its scheduled launch with little or no marketing push. Unlike full launches, soft launches are usually planned as “rehearsals” for a full launch, and let developers simulate real-world interactions with their app.

mithu
12-16-2020, 06:17 AM
Two to three months are believed by some developers to be the optimal length of a soft launch. But in reality, it can be both shorter or longer. All will depend on your niche, the location of your soft launch, and the performance of your app.

Geethan
12-16-2020, 11:49 PM