PDA

View Full Version : Buying email lists

Jessi
02-25-2014, 06:35 PM
I have recently started using email lists to cold solicit for new leads. What I am finding so far is that the vast majority of the lists seem to be outdated. Even the ones that claim to be verified and up-to-date end up having a lot of the emails bounce back. I really don't expect to have much success with the ones that don't bounce back either, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Is there someone that sells higher quality lists that I should try out before giving up? This is for a client of mine who is insisting we go this route for a while, so I have a higher budget I can potentially work with if it's going to make a real difference. I would rather see it succeed that give up entirely, after all.

Lithium
02-26-2014, 11:11 AM
I don't think email ads are reliable anymore. Everybody can notice an ad in their inbox nowadays. However, it looks like you shouldn't pay for them at all. You can get easily scammed.

Takedon
02-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Never do that mistake again. Email ads are useless now. You should go and use Adsense.

foduu1
02-27-2014, 12:19 AM
My spouse and i don't think Email advertising are usually reputable any longer. Everybody can certainly see the advertising inside their email address today. On the other hand, this appears to be you shouldn't spend on these people by any means. You can get easily conned.

mikelouis
02-27-2014, 02:25 AM
Email marketing will not yield much but it worth trying. People these days block any promotional emails they receive from people they do not know. Even with the introduction of Tabs in Gmail, such promotional emails are not easily viewed by users. Try social media marketing.

Jessi
02-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Email marketing will not yield much but it worth trying. People these days block any promotional emails they receive from people they do not know. Even with the introduction of Tabs in Gmail, such promotional emails are not easily viewed by users. Try social media marketing.

Do you happen to know how emails get filtered into those tabs in the first place? Like....what triggers Google to put an email into the promotional tab from a brand new company? I understand that a bunch of links and a company that is known to send out promotions would get filtered there, but what about more plain text versions without a bunch of links and spammy stuff?

delusional
02-28-2014, 05:19 AM
I don't do it and I would never do it. People just hate spam. If it doesn't get caught in their spam filter, they are instantly wondering where it came from.

eppie
02-28-2014, 06:36 AM
It's better to build your own email list than buy some lists that would probably be of no use to you. I personally would prefer a small growing list of targeted customers than send out to thousands of emails that most likely will end up in junk/spam folders. Also, I will not recommend this option to a client and instead explain to that client the pros and cons of buying an email list. :)

wbsrdtv
03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
No. There’s no such thing as an opt-in list for sale!

The fact is, email clients like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail don’t consider purchased lists or lists given to you by a third party to be opt-in. They call it “unsolicited bulk/commercial email.” If the people you’re emailing did not directly sign up with you (and only you!) then it’s considered unsolicited.

Using a purchased list means you’re not adhering to the ISP and email client guidelines. Furthermore, purchased lists often generate really high bounces, get flagged as spam by recipients and have low read rates

Jessi
03-02-2014, 03:33 PM
No. There’s no such thing as an opt-in list for sale!

That's actually not quite true. One of the companies I've been talking with has lists where the people HAVE actually opted in to be contacted by other companies, contractors, etc. It doesn't mean that they'll always necessarily want ME, but they are opting in to receive the emails in the first place.

M.K
03-02-2014, 07:59 PM
It's a waste of money. With how email sites filter for spam and junk mail you just won't be reaching nearly enough people. There are simply way better options out there. Email and other direct marketing tactics are outdated.

eppie
03-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Email marketing still works (at least for me). It's a tried and tested technique but will work only if you have a quality list of subscribers. :)

angelicagapit
03-02-2014, 10:04 PM
I've already unsubscribed to a bunch of sites that I've put my email into. They constantly send me emails that are quite irrelevant, and I've completely lost interest in these sites! Honestly, if you send emails to people constantly, they'll tend to get annoyed, and in the end, they'll disregard buying your products and services because the value of your business is already gone.

Email advertising is outdated and it isn't a recommended way to send people updates.

Good luck!

autograph
03-03-2014, 08:26 AM
I don't think buying e-mail lists and sending ads to them are trending nowadays. With today's e-mail service provider, I believe most of your ads will straight go to the spam folder and never be read. I received countless advertisement in my e-mails and all of them goes straight into the trash. Maybe you will have more luck promoting your stuffs through online social media.

SimplySidy
03-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I had purchased a bunch of those emails which the seller claimed were genuine and the site had good reviews too. But then, after the amount invested and the time taken to send out emails to them, I realized that most of them failed to get delivered. Still, from the few that went through, I recieved back some leads and finally one client. Though the task was not a big one but the payout was enough to cover up the investments made.

I think, it depends more on luck than anything else, just like any other marketing action that you perform. With email marketing today, the risks of getting being branded as a spammer are higher today than they were way back in 2006-7.

Lithium
03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
You shouldn't try this. We're not in 1999 anymore. There are more useful options out there.

Jessi
03-03-2014, 03:40 PM
You shouldn't try this. We're not in 1999 anymore. There are more useful options out there.

So what do you think is more beneficial then? PPC for this particular topic area is really high because there area lot of other companies offering similar services, so I'm looking for a marketing technique that isn't that expensive.

And Sidy, it's good to hear that you were able to get at least one good lead out of it. That's kind of what I'm hoping for. It would only take 1 or 2 out of a few thousand emails for it to make the investment worthwhile.

foduu1
03-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Never accomplish that blunder again. E mail advertising are generally worthless currently. You must get in addition to employ Adsense.

GHogan
03-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Most lists are useless. I've worked in a couple of different businesses where people purchased lead lists. It can be frustrating. I found a lead sharing program. It's free. They explained how it works and it seems to be a good system. You can tweak it til you get lots of traffic to your business. They give it away free figuring that a certain percentage will buy the upgrade. Never have to though... Check it out ... Free's a good price ..:) ... heres a link ... www.ibourl.com/26p2

Rainman
03-08-2014, 03:47 AM
Not everyone builds an email list in a straightforward manner. For example, there were rumors that some forums would sell e-mail addresses of forum members to interested parties. While that isn't very common these days, obtaining an email list of surfers who'll be interested in what you're selling is quite hard.

For email marketing to work, work only with those who opt in to receive your emails. That way you at least know they're interested in your products/services. So, it's much better to build your own list rather than spend money buying an email list that you won't make any money from.

Lithium
03-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Where can you buy those e-mails from? How can you know they're not fake?

Jessi
03-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Where can you buy those e-mails from? How can you know they're not fake?

That depends on where and how you're getting them. Some of the more reputable companies will more or less 'lease' them to you, so you pay for them each time you send out an email through their system. The good news with this is that if any of them bounce back or don't actually deliver, then you don't pay for those. They also remove them from their system at that point, too, so it doesn't happen again. After all, if they're only getting paid for delivered emails, then they have incentive to keep their lists fresh. This type of system is going to cost you a lot more than some cheap, scraped list, though.

JohnSword
03-10-2014, 02:56 AM
Don't buy email lists - they're almost always garbage. No one in their right mind would sell a good list (it also may be downright illegal).

The best thing you could do if you want to try email marketing but don't have a list is to contact blog owners who have email newsletters and do a joint venture - you provide the email with product/affiliate links and they send the email to their list. You can either offer them a fixed payment or a split of the profit - there are many people who would agree to it.

albertj786
03-11-2014, 02:01 AM
it's not too useful like hardly some people will like to check your email and mostly people will block promotional emails which they get from other people llike unknown peoples it's totally useless

ha777yya
03-19-2014, 12:18 PM
yeah i must agree, email ads are more or less useless now i'm afraid!

eagle22
03-21-2014, 09:34 PM
I purchased an email list in the past (5k subscribers) and it was probably the biggest waste of money. I wanted to get in the solo ad business but the list really didn't generate many clicks at all. I would spend time building your own list.

Lithium
03-22-2014, 03:42 AM
Doesn't that mean I can earn money by selling e-mails to people? I have a few addresses.

Taru
03-22-2014, 08:20 AM
I think it's best to just collect your own instead of buying a list. Emails nowadays aren't as used as they were back then when it was the main method of messaging each other, and also nowadays email clients have gotten a lot more sophisticated in that emails are already getting indexed into many categories, most of which will just be ignored by the users because they are on another page. I think for this to work, you would have to get the people who actually use email a lot and who actually want to get mails from you, otherwise it's just too easy to ignore unsolicited mail these days.

nick87
03-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Getting leads from bought email lists is extremely hard because the lists are usually sold multiple times, and so the recipients expect spam and just delete the emails right away. You're better off getting people to sign up for a newsletter that's targeted for them.

garfish
03-23-2014, 10:56 PM
email marketing is still effective though especially if you got into the personal emails of people.
I don't much like receiving email ads from companies offering their product but if these are something I'm involved into, like I've bought something and that it needs update.

LindaKay
03-24-2014, 03:19 AM
I don't know that I would buy one of these lists. I think you're better off building your own, even if it does take a lot of work. You can build it through social media following, etc.

Elina Ding
03-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Hello Jessi

Could i know what kind of business are you doing ?May be the B2B and B2C platform is better.i think the mail list is not work now,because many sales promotion emails are filtered into spam.

Elina Ding
sales manager
keyking consumer electronics
www.topitshipping.com

fredkawig
03-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Email solicitation will end in the Spam folder. You should definitely reconsider and tell your client.

canoe
03-31-2014, 12:33 AM
What you need aren't email lists but targeted email lists. The latter is so difficult to find if you're simply buying them off of someone else. There is absolutely no guarantee that the list you'll be buying is targeted; the only assurance you have to go by is the seller's words. Instead, what you should do is to obtain your own email list by creating a blog or website in your niche and making subscribers input their email.

ElvisPresley
03-31-2014, 10:37 AM
I have recently started using email lists to cold solicit for new leads. What I am finding so far is that the vast majority of the lists seem to be outdated. Even the ones that claim to be verified and up-to-date end up having a lot of the emails bounce back. I really don't expect to have much success with the ones that don't bounce back either, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Is there someone that sells higher quality lists that I should try out before giving up? This is for a client of mine who is insisting we go this route for a while, so I have a higher budget I can potentially work with if it's going to make a real difference. I would rather see it succeed that give up entirely, after all.

Isn't it illegal to sell or buy email lists? I thought that the only way that you could do email marketing nowadays was to get people to double opt-in to confirm that they do in fact want to receive information from you. It's really not a surprise that the list was outdated, some of these places just end up scraping the emails from places like craigslist or wherever and then sell them to people.

Lithium
03-31-2014, 10:46 AM
I think it is quite illegal to sell emails, but I'm not very sure. I guess it also depends on your country's legislation.

cmiller
04-01-2014, 01:55 AM
I am not sure I never really got into it due to the fact all of the bad things I have heard about it. I think you should try another approach.

penann
04-02-2014, 04:21 PM
I had the same problem that you have listed above and l found it really frustrating as l paid money for my email lists, l was tempted to buy more but l decided not to as l didn't want to end up in the same boat again. Buying email lists is a risky business l personally think and if l really wanted to build up a email list l would have to do it myself so for example set up a blog and have my followers register there email address so l could send them offers.

Didi
04-04-2014, 12:28 PM
It depends on your country's legislation but it's usually illegal to do this. It's also not effective at all.

sweetkymom
04-04-2014, 03:49 PM
E-mail ads are considered spam and with that said, a lot of us have spam blockers. I would do away completely with email ads. You are wasting your time.

JillADDison
05-22-2014, 07:24 AM
It will be a great mistake. You can use Adsence to promote your business.

ChristyMathew
07-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Before i entering in to conversation, i need to know is there leagal advice for email marketing?
There may be an registery control on those marketing!

AarushiAashi
12-26-2019, 11:14 AM
Is it accurate to say that you are going to purchase an email list? Hit the interruption button. You should assemble your rundown naturally. Here's the means by which to do it.

DeebaDeepali
12-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Why You Shouldn't Buy Email Lists. You'll disregard the guidelines of assent under GDPR. Trustworthy email promoting administrations don't let you send messages to records you've purchased. Great email address records aren't available to be purchased. Individuals on an acquired or leased rundown don't really have any acquaintance with you.

U:chrisriviera
12-30-2019, 01:57 AM
CAN SPAM specifically states that it is illegal to sell – and so, conversely, buy – email addresses. (It is, however, legal to “rent” a list, but even so, it's shady and I don't recommend it.) Let's be honest: there's no such thing as a good email list that's for sale.

If someone sells his list, do you think he will sell to only one person? This means people on this list will receive massive spam emails and won't read them at all.

Put yourself in your prospect shoes : Would you buy something to someone who sent you an email without knowing who he is, without any consent given to receive emails from him, and obviously without respecting the legislation?
Internet is about trust, and only after gaining that trust from a prospect, a business can hope to sell something to this person...

Simon Lewington
01-09-2020, 08:05 PM
I agree Google works but e-mail lists are a really low return on investement.

cpafirmnj
03-05-2020, 01:40 AM
I will suggest no to buy email list as they will not give proper list of target audience. You can run a Facebook ads for leads generation. it will give you list of your choice and it will be your target audience too.

jayam
04-16-2020, 07:26 PM
You'll violate the rules of consent under GDPR.
Reputable email marketing services don't let you send emails to lists you've bought.
Good email address lists aren't for sale.
People on a purchased or rented list don't actually know you.

valluri
04-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Purchased or rented email lists almost always consist of low-quality emails (often including incorrect or out of date contact information). ... 2) A poor reputation will lead to decreased inboxing and can even get you blacklisted which means your emails will not be delivered.

pankaj0008
04-17-2020, 12:38 AM
Buying Email list is not good for any business as most of them will give email list of those users who have no interest in your business and also most of email list will be wrong.
Email list will bounce and their open rate will less than 1%. so avoid them to buy email list.
You can create your own email list.

BedroomGallery2
04-17-2020, 01:53 AM
You'll violate the rules of consent under GDPR.
Reputable email marketing services don't let you send emails to lists you've bought.
Good email address lists aren't for sale.
People on a purchased or rented list don't actually know you.

vinitha seo
04-21-2020, 07:43 AM
Great how to information. Create checklists, forms, and detailed instructions for things that your prospects might want to know or use. ...
Free tools. Create templates, rank checkers, calculators and widgets and let people use them to their heart’s content and even enable them to pass them around. ...
Coupons. Give people something of value towards a purchase or free trial and watch them line to get on your list. ...

TangelThor
09-16-2020, 05:01 AM
Reputable email marketing services don't let you send emails to lists you've bought. Good email address lists aren't for sale. People on a purchased or rented list don't actually know you. You'll harm your email deliverability and IP reputation.

Pankhuri
09-21-2020, 01:47 AM
I too wanted to ask something similar. I have a home and wall decor business. It goes by the name of Writings On The Wall (https://writingsonthewall.in/). Now how do I go about email marketing campaigns? Shall I email my current customers or should I procure a list from 3rd parties?

jayam12
10-28-2020, 03:03 AM
Reputable email marketing services don't let you send emails to lists you've bought. Good email address lists aren't for sale. People on a purchased or rented list don't actually know you. You'll harm your email deliverability and IP reputation.

mithu
10-28-2020, 03:07 AM
The truth is, buying an email list is a really bad idea, and a huge waste of money. It's one of those shortcuts that simply doesn't work, and will likely cause your business far more harm than good. ... Then, we'll tell you exactly what you can do instead to quickly grow your business with email marketing.

Saravanan12
11-12-2020, 03:01 AM

trisy
11-13-2020, 05:11 AM
Many people say that e-mail is out of date now, but I don't think so
You just need to be able to write an email so that it doesn't look like spam.
There should be information that will be interesting and useful to the client. Text, where there will be only “Buy, buy, buy”, will be uninteresting and the person will simply unsubscribe from you.
Everything needs to be set up correctly so that emails arrive when they are more likely to be opened, so that they appear correctly on the display so that they contain up-to-date information, so as not to violate personal data, and so on.
Yes, it is very difficult to gather a current base of potential customers, but if you do, the email will bring good results.

Geethan
11-21-2020, 12:32 AM
Yes Definitely, Lead List is worth the money. There are numerous suppliers from which you can buy the lead list from.